View Single Post
Old 05-25-2012, 01:18 AM   #14
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taak Farst View Post
The single player RPG is dying. This is because good single player RPG universes, such as the Elder Scrolls, are going the way of the MMO. The MMO appears to be a gold mine for developers, with everyone making one, but they are also failing, as they are using the same 'bog standard grind-quests with team based PvE and PvP endgame' formulas. Innovation isn't really anywhere to be found anymore, and many people are enjoying gaming less and less because of it.
Enh, one is profitable the other isn't. Besides, creating a proper, competitive RPG is one of the most expensive projects as far as singleplayer games go. There's a reason even BioWare had to partner with EA to make Mass Effect and Dragon Age. CD Projekt RED had piles of cash after The Witcher 1 and Gog.com's profits. Creating an RPG that can stand against these franchises is a very uphill task for a fresh developer.

Quote:
Also, novelty. When World of WarCraft came out, there were not many MMOs of such quality around. Now, it's steadily losing subscribers. Why? Personally, I think it is the novelty of the MMO. The MMO is and was a new concept in the late 90s (I think?) and everyone loved the idea of it. But because we've had Everquest and Guild Wars and World of Warcraft for years, people are getting bored of them.
TBH, I don't think it's so much the idea of an MMO that is bad - it's great, it's what everyone expected games to evolve into back in the 90s. The problem is that MMOs have to be handled in a super-safe, formulaic way, like they're chunks of uranium or something.

On the other hand, the mod DayZ for ArmA II uses many MMO concepts like a persistent world, player tracking, etc. but is gaining more and more popularity, because it actually seems to be taking advantage of the online element to add something special to the gameplay, rather than just creating a social RPG.

Quote:
There is also the lack of good game series' that people look forward to. E.g. Mass Effect is over. Gears of War is over. With this, what remains are various Shooter and Sports games. So, many people such as myself, who are not part of that audience, are losing interest in gaming.
So, MMOs and dead genres combined with no innovation/no 'novelty/new' things, I can honestly say I do not get excited about gaming as I used to. I don't enjoy gaming as I used to. To be honest, it all just seems like work now, if we're talking extremes.
Ah, M. Farst, you forget that ME and GoW were both born with the beginning of the current console generation, which is in itself, nearing an end. The next-gen consoles will be releases either this or the next year, and there will be a whole new slew of franchises full of space marines and blue aliens!

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,