View Single Post
Old 09-01-2012, 12:18 AM   #11
Sithspecter
Big things are coming...

Current Game: Mechwarrior II: Mercenaries
Contest winner - Modding Forum Veteran Veteran Modder LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by VarsityPuppet View Post
To sum up my feelings, I believe the answer lies in how it is all said. Don't encourage them, don't discourage them, but persuade them to start out smaller.
I understand where you are coming from, but, these things will really sort themselves out.

When I started out, I had grand plans for a big giant completely new area mod for KotOR. Looking back, people were really very friendly and encouraging. They helped me out and showed me the tutorials and tools that I was looking for. Pretty quickly, I learned a lesson. Don't plan too grand. It was a lesson that I had to learn for myself. As a new modder, you really want to do big stuff, and there's not a whole lot that anybody can do to convince them otherwise. So the excessive posts persuading them to try something smaller just comes off as negativity.

On another forum I frequent that has a Buy/Sell/Trade section, there's sort of an inside joke that goes around. If a new seller posts a product with a ridiculous price, people will post, "Welcome to forum XXXX, good luck with your sale!"

If you think somebody's mod is too large for them to handle, feel free to post, "Welcome to Holowan Laboratories, good luck with your mod!" I only want to see this once per thread though, don't overdo it or anything.

Sithspecter is offline   you may: quote & reply,