View Single Post
Old 11-11-2012, 01:33 AM   #43
Tommycat
>^..^<

Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totenkopf View Post
No offense to him(or you), but he's wrong. There comes a point when certain arguments are no longer in favor with the general public. For instance he says most women are against abortion, but the truth is that while someone may be against something it doesn't mean they are for the banning of it.

He talks about how the majority of the public feels the government does interfere too much... Well getting involved in people's sex lives goes even further. Bothering people about what they want to do with their own body goes too far(drugs for instance).

I was talking with my girlfriend today, and she's further to the right than I am, and even she agrees that we need to drop the war on drugs. Granted that was when I pointed out that it was capitalism in itself. While I don't do any drugs(I'm actually allergic to weed), I understand that much like cigarettes and alcohol, people will want to pay for their drugs. We should provide education and ways to get clean, but by no means force one type of business to underground.

We can still follow our core platform of smaller government. I think it's pretty important. We just need to expand what we mean by smaller government. People don't want the government telling them what to do with their bodies, or who they can or cannot marry.

Oh and The Doctor:
Quote:
There has yet to be a sensible, non-religious argument for outright banning abortion.
I disagree. You may not have heard it, but I believe there have been a few. Not the least of which is that it is simply the expansion of the laws against murder, since the DNA is that of a human, distinctly divergent from the parent. The product of conception between sperm and egg of two humans is a new human that should have the same equal treatment as that of a full term human. Much as we do not(or at least should not) discriminate between a person of a different ethnic background we should not discriminate based on age.

But again, my reason for support of legal abortion comes from a purely compassionate source. I would not want a person to be forced to carry a child to term who was raped. In some cases forcing that woman to carry the child(or rather girl as in the cases of children who are raped) can in fact lead to the death of the woman(girl). That in my estimation is unconscionable. But again, purely emotional. Logically, it would still amount to murder of an innocent. But I am willing to take that hit for the sanity of the other victim.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,