View Single Post
Old 12-16-2012, 11:27 PM   #1315
K_Kinnison
Grey Lensman

Forum Veteran Hot Topic Starter 10 year veteran! 
The NRA spent a lot of money in the last election against Obama, because they were worried he might appoint a Supreme Court Justice that would be for more gun control. Yet during his term before the last election The president signed bills allowing guns in national parks and on Amtrak. He has not pushed for the reinstatement of the assault weapons ban

Yet ROmney, while running for Senate in Massachusetts in 1994, Romney supported background checks and a ban on some assault weapons. “That’s not going to make me the hero of the NRA,” he said. Running for governor in 2002, he said, “We do have tough gun laws in Massachusetts — I support them. I won’t chip away at them. I believe they help protect us, and provide for our safety.”

As governor, in 2004, signed an assault-weapons ban in the state. However, that law won support from some gun-rights advocates by making it easier to get and renew a firearms license. Romney also raised the state’s gun-registration fee from $25 to $75.

But later before running for President he decided to join the NRA, to make everyone with a gun know he was part of the club.

I don't think it is an issue of 2nd amendment rights. It is about trying to prevent loonies from getting guns and shooting up a bunch of innocent people and get their name in the news. Maybe it is better background checks, or holding the previous gun owners partially responsible. or having better mental health care for those people on the edge of going postal.

I highly doubt a ban on weapons, except maybe assault weapons, is ever going to happen. But that isn't going to stop gun lovers from fearing that the Democrats, liberals or the current president is going to take way their weapons

BOW DOWN BEFORE the Official Forum Pun-isher
Official XWA flight instructor
get busy with it!
K_Kinnison is offline   you may: