View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 10:31 PM   #23
RogueJedi86

Current Game: Star Wars: The Old Republic
10 year veteran! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lord of Chaos View Post
But hey, it's Star Wars, I guess Sidious could have lived on forever if Vader didn't throw him down that hole and this emperor in the TOR is similar in epic long live living power.
Technically that did happen. Palpatine came back in a few clone bodies in the Dark Empire comics. He ended up being killed for good by Han Solo when the Emperor tried to possess Han's infant son as a last ditch effort after he ran out of clone bodies.

I came into the topic expecting a mature discussion of canon in general, per the topic title. Instead the topic has nothing to do with canon and is instead complaints specifically about Revan and the Exile's portrayal in TOR. No mention of any other canon. I was disappointed by that.

The One Sith plot was finished by TOR. The One Sith that Kreia referred to was the Sith Empire of TOR. Since the Sith Empire engaged the Republic in a 28 year Great Galactic War, a 10 year Cold War, and a newly budding Second Great Galactic War after, I'd say they're definitely a threat on the scale Kreia hinted at. A 28 year war, that's longer than the Galactic Civil War by a decade and a half, and longer than the Clone Wars by ten. It's a MASSIVE war, and from a very massive threat of a Sith Empire.

Giving Revan and the Exile canon gender/alignments is not some evil thing, but a necessity for storytelling. The KotOR games do not exist in a vacuum. They exist as part of a shared universe. For years after the KotORs(before the established gender/alignments were established), the EU had to refer VERY vaguely to events around that era. Even after that, Revan's face was NEVER shown since the face was still a choice within the Light Male spectrum, at least prior to TOR giving him a canon face finally. Giving Revan and the Exile canon genders and alignments made it easier to fit them into continuity and to more easily refer to them in other works.

And as a side note, EVERY SW game that gives a choice of alignment with diverging endings has gotten a Light ending. This goes back to the mid-90s with "Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2", the first big game with diverging endings. Dark Side endings are so potentially galaxy changing that it's hard to have one of those without massively messing with all the continuity around it.

As much as you may hate it, the fact remains that KotOR+TSL+TOR are part of SW continuity. SW's EU is famous as one of the most internally consistent and cohesive expanded universe of any fictional expanded universe. Everything fits together and links with everything else. BioWare doesn't own Revan, nor does Obsidian own the Exile. Many a SW author has admitted they don't own their characters, that it's the price of working in a shared universe. Even KotOR was set in a pre-established era, set less than half a century after the comics that established the 5000-4000 BBY era.

I for one think that KotOR has been strengthened by what TOR did with Revan and his backstory. He was made into a flawed figure who made a few mistakes and has been paying the price for them ever since. As powerful as Revan was, the Emperor was even more powerful. It knocks Revan down a few pegs from his Mary Sue status he had before TOR. Revan even delayed the war with the One Sith by 300 years through a bit of a heroic sacrifice, ensuring the Republic was fully built back up to handle the enormous threat.

I love to imagine what that 300 years of captivity did for Revan. When he left the Republic, his son was an infant. Three hundred years later, his son is long dead and his only surviving descendant is the Grand Master of the Jedi Order, the most powerful Jedi facing the Emperor that Revan himself tried to stop so many centuries before. I wish the game had a quest/conversation/cutscene where you see the conversation Revan had with his great-great-great-great(etc.) granddaughter. The stories those two could share would surely bring tears to my soul.

Maybe you're just new to SW's EU. I've been in it since I became a SW fan with the prequels. I've read many a book. I'm used to new stories adding new facets to older stories, adding new layers to this deep and detailed universe. There's rarely anything I hostilely disagree with, the only thing coming to mind is what was done with Jacen Solo after the NJO(particularly in LotF). I just accept it as it happens because it's part of the story. Just because I don't like a story development doesn't mean it didn't "happen". I myself have been burned by a few of "The Clone Wars" retcons, but I accept them as part of the universe.

As others said, when it comes down to it, you could just pretend your Revan destroyed the galaxy and your Exile was a guy or whatever makes you feel better. It won't be the official story, but it's the best you can do given the situation. There's no way BioWare is going to go back and redo all of TOR to fit a much vaguer outcome of both KotOR games.

I do love SW, the EU, and canon/continuity, so I'm happy to discuss it with you. I particularly love how TOR created a new era out of nothing with a Republic at its prime with Jedi allies facing a Sith-ran Empire at its prime. It's like the best aspects of both movie trilogies.

"Sir,we are beginning our search for these rumored 'underwater villages'.They will not stay hidden for long". -Battle Droid Commander OOM-9!
RogueJedi86 is offline   you may: quote & reply,