View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013, 08:20 PM   #17
machievelli
Local curmudgeon

Current Game: Dungeonseige series
Hot Topic Starter Veteran Fan Fic Author Helpful! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
That and as a permanent member of United Nation Security Council the U.S. along with France, Russia, China and the United Kingdom, pretty much have veto powers over any sanctions attempted on the United States.

So while the UN has the right to sanction the United States and the power, as long as the United States and for that matter the United Kingdom are permanent members of the Security Council the chances of the US getting sanctions are next to nil.

That said 15 to 20 years ago I would have said the same thing about North Korea getting UN sanctions, with China having veto rights, so anything is possible.
You're ignoring the fact that if aq permanent member is being sanctioned, they are not allowed to vote on the matter. As for Korea, up until this recent unpleasantness about wanting Nukes, Kim Il Sung was a rock of stability compared to his son and Grandson. Jong Il was a man who wanted to be a movie producer/director, and as you can tell by looking at what Hollywood pumps out, how many of them have a keen grasp of what is or is not actually possible?

Right off the top of my head, I don't know what the Grandson is named, but igonring their sole patron (China) to threaten nuclear violence is not what I would call a hallmark of stability.

'To argue with those who have renounced the use and authority of reason is as futile as to administer medicine to the dead.' Now who said that?

From the one who brought you;
What we die for...
Acceptance
KOTOR excerpts
Star Wars: The Beginning
Star Wars: Republic Dawn
Return From Exile
machievelli is offline   you may: quote & reply,