View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013, 04:16 AM   #44
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
ANTA BAKAAA?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by machievelli View Post
Two things:first, according the the UN Charter, going to war with another nation because you do not like their regime and intend to replace it is defined as an aggressive, or illegal war.That is why I shook my head when the Shrub stated that we fought the war with Iraq to remove Saddam. The UN can declare North Korea a rogue nation, and that still doesn't give us a legal right to take them down unless the Security Council votes to do so.

Second, while the very term 'concentration camp' summons up visions of Auschwitz and Dachau, the fact that Korea might have them is incidental; Under the same Charter, it is defined as an internal police matter, and the UN will not condemn them for that.
AFAIK while Jedi report to the Republic, they primarily operate on a greater moral-principle directive (they are after all, a religious order). I can't place the exact situations, but I'm pretty sure there have been incidents in SW fiction where Jedi have foregone legalities to act on their moral judgements, such as freeing enslaved peoples.

Thus the joke about them taking down the government.

But notice i said that they document concentration camps, as opposed to freeing the people inside. The idea is that they take recordings of what goes on inside the camps, and then make them available to the wider body of political units (in this case, the nations of our planet) in order to spur action - perhaps even from parts of the Republic (as much interest that can be generated for a backwater planet like ours. :P ).

mfw I read the Revan novel

it is not a cry of joy.
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan is offline   you may: quote & reply,