View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013, 05:29 AM   #45
machievelli
Local curmudgeon

Current Game: Dungeonseige series
Hot Topic Starter Veteran Fan Fic Author Helpful! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan View Post
AFAIK while Jedi report to the Republic, they primarily operate on a greater moral-principle directive (they are after all, a religious order). I can't place the exact situations, but I'm pretty sure there have been incidents in SW fiction where Jedi have foregone legalities to act on their moral judgements, such as freeing enslaved peoples.

Thus the joke about them taking down the government.

But notice i said that they document concentration camps, as opposed to freeing the people inside. The idea is that they take recordings of what goes on inside the camps, and then make them available to the wider body of political units (in this case, the nations of our planet) in order to spur action - perhaps even from parts of the Republic (as much interest that can be generated for a backwater planet like ours. :P ).
What I mean is that a concentration camp, for whatever reason, including
'ethnic cleansing', is defined as an internal police matter, and therefore not covered by international law.

Put it this way; if the Nazis were running a nation today, and slaughtering Jews with gay abandon, yet we were not at war with them, we could not stop them by declaring war, because the camps are not a valid reason to do so.

'To argue with those who have renounced the use and authority of reason is as futile as to administer medicine to the dead.' Now who said that?

From the one who brought you;
What we die for...
Acceptance
KOTOR excerpts
Star Wars: The Beginning
Star Wars: Republic Dawn
Return From Exile
machievelli is offline   you may: quote & reply,