View Single Post
Old 10-29-2013, 01:49 PM   #33
Alexrd

Current Game: UEFA Euro 2004
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
Not sure what you mean there.
I mean the 2011 cuts of the movies (additions/fixes/etc) which although similar are still different from the 2004 versions.

Quote:
unless you really really wanted to see the latest batch of changes but have no blu-ray capability.
That's what I meant. But I'm not speaking for myself though. I already have the Blu-rays.

Quote:
I can only speak for the country I live in, so I'm glad to hear that you can finally have access to a DVD of Star Wars,
I have access to them, but I'm not everyone and can't speak as such. All I'm saying is that:

- The 2004/2008 versions are out of print, and thus not available everywhere.
- Even if they were, they are not the 2011 versions.
- Not everyone has a Blu-ray player (again, not my case).
- The DVD market is still profitable enough to justify this release of the 2011 versions.

Quote:
Blu-Ray market share is just below 27% of the U.S. (nearly 6.5 years after the format's debut).
Exactly. And worldwide it's probably the same or lower. A DVD release only makes sense.

Quote:
The way I see it, the only one that's really decent on the Prequel set is Episode III. Episode II is blue and TPM looks somewhat better in places, but now has some unnecessary changes and doesn't look nearly as good as it should have on the format (but we can't have it looking better than episode 2 & 3 now can we?).
I agree, except in the case of TPM. It could have been better (e.g: no DNR whatsoever), but is still an huge improvement over the DVD release and worth the upgrade. I can also say that I'm pleased with the changes they made. Finally the movie is not cropped anymore, it's colour corrected (no pink filter like in the DVD release) and although I never had a problem with the puppet, I'm glad we got digital Yoda on the film. The DNR should even be less noticeable on this DVD release.

Ironically enough, since TPM was shot on film it had the possibility to look much better than Episodes II and III due to the higher resolution/detail.

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.

Last edited by Alexrd; 10-29-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,