lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: JA lightsabers ?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 09-18-2003, 03:53 PM   #1
Aaron Halcyon

Question JA lightsabers ?

I have messed around with trying to add new lightsabers to JA but can not figure it out how do i add them to the gaem so i can use them in single player and multiplayer

Thanks

I wan to be a Jedi like my father before me and his father before him.
Aaron Halcyon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-18-2003, 11:26 PM   #2
Psynex

Wink

I'm playing around with it right now. I'm trying to figure out though, where the names of the sabers come from. I know how to set them up as dual and single, but I'm unsure where to find the names.

I'll post more as I progress.
Psynex is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-19-2003, 12:37 AM   #3
Aaron Halcyon

thanks man i will be watching

Old 09-20-2003, 02:35 AM   #4
ChangKhan[RAVEN]
Raven Software

Okay, I'll write a tutorial, but here's a quick overview:

Every saber must have a .sab file. Look in our pk3 files (with WinZip) and you'll see all of ours in ext_data/sabers.

There's a lot of fields and it can be confusing, but look at one of our .sab files for an example.

Now, you'll notice that you specify the model of the saber in that .sab file. You'll find all our models in models/weapons/... (whatver the actual saber directory is).

You can view our saber models with ModView, which I think James already released. The important things to have in the model are:

1) proper scale - so it's not too big or too small
2) proper orientation - so that it sits in the hand correctly
3) proper tags - there is a tag named "*blade#" (where the number is 1-8) for each blade. If you have one blade, you just need a *blade1. If you have two, you need a *blade1 and a *blade2. If you have six, well... you get the idea.

If you plan on making your own saber hilts (or modding ours), I recommend MilkShape (which has a GLM importer you can download) as it's very easy to use (even I have made new weapon models with it and I'm just a programmer!)

Once all this is done, you should automatically be able to use it in MP (it'll appear in the menu). In SP, it won't automatically appear in the menu, but you can modify the list of sabers in the .menu file for the saber menu. But you can also just use the "saber" console command.

Like I said, I'll be writing an actual tutorial on all of this, but, for now, this should get you modders a good start!

Michael Chang Gummelt
Game Programmer
Jedi Academy
Raven Software
ChangKhan[RAVEN] is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-20-2003, 03:40 AM   #5
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Thanks for the help, and I look forward to the tutorial
Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-20-2003, 11:17 AM   #6
tFighterPilot

Isn't it the wrong forum?

I mean, there are all those new JA forums, isn't that belong to them?

My projects:
Snow Speeder
Kaadu

Quote:
Originally posted by yaebginn
not at all, they came here[USA] to worship God however they wanted and it was built on the principals and rules of the Christian religion.
tFighterPilot is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-21-2003, 11:53 AM   #7
Psynex

ChangKhan[RAVEN]: I was just about to post a tutorial myself...but you beat me to it. But now that you're here, could you answer a couple of questions for me?

Question 1: I made a saber claw (see showcase forum) with 3 blades and set 2 of them to a different color from the first, but the bladeColor doesn't seem to work. I noticed a note in the saber.sab file about setting saberColor will set all blades to the same color, but I have entered saberColor2 and saberColor 3 as distinct colors, but each time I select my custom saber, the blades are all the same color.

Second question: How can one make such sabers that aren't going to be exploited as damage cheats? I mean....8 blades of maximum radius? All one has to do is have all 8 blades sticking out all over the place in variable distances from the point of standard blade 1 origin to do insane amounts of damage. Please comment on these 'extreme edits'; like preventing force powers too...some users are concerned about unbalanced gameplay.

P.S. I'm finishing the claw reguardless; The models look cool with a pair glowing claws coming from each hand.

P.S.#2 Maybe I'll write a tutorial anyway and post it quickly...that way mr raven programmer guy can kick back after all the hard work. Seriously though, is there a need for a Raven programmer to write a tutorial when the mod community is capable of such things? You gave us all we needed to know in the saber.sab file.

as for imyourfather: Take a chill pill man. The only messages I've read from you involve telling people where their messages belong. This thread does belong here because it's a general editing question. If it were, "how do I make a JA lightsaber using gmax?" or something more specific to either modelling or skinning then I could see a need to move it. There is no JA general question area, so here seems a logical choice for such a question.

Last edited by Psynex; 09-21-2003 at 12:07 PM.
Old 09-21-2003, 02:06 PM   #8
Psynex

Thumbs up Tutorial underway!

Just wanted to post that since I was thinking of doing this since last night anyway, I might as well still go through with it.
I've begun typing up a tutorial to better explain JA saber editing.

I'll be working on it for the better portion of the day so I should have it posted this evening some time (EST).

Last edited by Psynex; 09-22-2003 at 01:00 AM.
Old 09-22-2003, 01:00 AM   #9
Psynex

Post Here it is

Tutorial is up

If you have any problems: see errors, or are confused let me know. I'll update this as necessary.
Old 09-22-2003, 01:51 AM   #10
ChangKhan[RAVEN]
Raven Software

Re: Here it is

Quote:
Originally posted by Psynex
Tutorial is up

If you have any problems: see errors, or are confused let me know. I'll update this as necessary.
Cool! Nice job on the tutorial. I haven't read it through all the way, but I'll do so at work. I'm sure I can help with some of the issues you describe in the tutorial (making tags that are aligned correctly is a pain in the butt... one of our designers here has made something like 25 new weapon models and he can attest to the problems of getting tags right...)

I'll also release a sample mod that shows what you can do with the different fields.

Michael Chang Gummelt
Game Programmer
Jedi Academy
Raven Software
Old 09-22-2003, 11:59 AM   #11
Psynex

Yeah, I know all too well about lining tags correctly. In fact, in my custom mod, the tags aren't aligned anything like how I have them described in the tutorial, so I could have made a big mistake. I was working from a saber MD3 file that was left over in the Pak.

I understand all of the great options you've allowed us with saber mods...but the saberColor command doesn't seem to work at all. Can you better define this option?
Old 09-25-2003, 12:43 AM   #12
Aaron Halcyon

I have gotten the sabers to appear in the game but on the menue and in my hand the colors are gone and are either black or solid gray what do i need to do to get the correct textures for my JO sabers that i want to use

Thanks

Old 09-25-2003, 01:46 AM   #13
NeoAnalysis
Rookie

ok ... i feel like a goof now ..
I got in some extra saber hilts this way

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthrea...hreadid=112595

they're not custom jobs or anything .. but just trying to get these in felt like a pain.

It's quick .. it's dirty .. it's all raven resources .. and i only take credit for my patients looking through line after line of variables with some trial and error.
NeoAnalysis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-25-2003, 02:41 AM   #14
ChangKhan[RAVEN]
Raven Software

Quote:
Yeah, I know all too well about lining tags correctly. In fact, in my custom mod, the tags aren't aligned anything like how I have them described in the tutorial, so I could have made a big mistake. I was working from a saber MD3 file that was left over in the Pak.

I understand all of the great options you've allowed us with saber mods...but the saberColor command doesn't seem to work at all. Can you better define this option?
How are you setting the color? Can you send me your mod and I'll debug it. mgummelt@ravensoft.com

Michael Chang Gummelt
Game Programmer
Jedi Academy
Raven Software
Old 09-25-2003, 02:41 AM   #15
Psynex

Quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Halcyon
I have gotten the sabers to appear in the game but on the menue and in my hand the colors are gone and are either black or solid gray what do i need to do to get the correct textures for my JO sabers that i want to use

Thanks
That's because either the skin file doesn't point to correct directory, the skin is missing from the correct directory, or you didn't import the .skin file in MD3View before making it a GLM. The skin file must point to \models\weapons2\my_saber\ directory and imported to MD3View to work. You will get an error in MD3View, but the skin file will be tied to the mesh correctly and tell it where the texture is.

Aaron Halcyon: I don't agree with your method because it replaces existing sabers. You should create your own .sab files so your custom sabers can be added to the list of existing sabers. You can even just make saber mods of the sabers that are already there without providing a new mesh. Just make a .sab file and set a whole bunch of different attributes and give it a new name.
Old 09-25-2003, 03:01 AM   #16
NeoAnalysis
Rookie

Quote:
That's because either the skin file doesn't point to correct directory, the skin is missing from the correct directory, or you didn't import the .skin file in MD3View before making it a GLM. The skin file must point to \models\weapons2\my_saber\ directory and imported to MD3View to work. You will get an error in MD3View, but the skin file will be tied to the mesh correctly and tell it where the texture is.

Aaron Halcyon: I don't agree with your method because it replaces existing sabers. You should create your own .sab files so your custom sabers can be added to the list of existing sabers. You can even just make saber mods of the sabers that are already there without providing a new mesh. Just make a .sab file and set a whole bunch of different attributes and give it a new name.
hmmmm .. do you mean NeoAnalysis by chance?
If so, you'll find that i use existing files only as templates. When saved i instruct that they should be "saved as : NEW NAME.sab" in the example i posted you'll see that single_1 was used as a template and then saved as single_10. If i simply replaced an existing .sab, then there'd be no reason to edit saber.menu.
Old 09-25-2003, 03:59 AM   #17
Aaron Halcyon

No you have me al wrong i did not create these sabers these are sabers that i have downloaded for JO and am trying to get to work in JA and i have not over written any sabers i have new .sab files for each one but the colors won't show on the hilt and i don't know what to do i do not want to go into milkshape and start tinkering with someone elses saber design.

Old 09-25-2003, 05:17 AM   #18
laghima

this may be a bit off topic, but has anyone found a way of enableing the saber_sith_sword class in mp? it's easy enough to remove the "notinmp" line from the .sab file, but they still spawn a blade (i'm guessing it's attached to a flash tag they used for the lightning effect). it seems to work well enough in the selection window, but thats probably because the .menu dosent specify gfx (again only a guess )
granted, there's a good chance they hard coded it into sp, but here's hopeing.

jo: shuriken set(4), melee pack (var. sino-japanese weapons*13), yogen set (torinoko/etc*4).
-jk2files.com
ja: kiriai (mumei kiyoshige katana, osefune tadamitsu katana, '44 model shin-gunto, modern kunai w/effects/sounds/blood)
-pcgamemods.com
laghima is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-25-2003, 06:26 AM   #19
mccartney

someone is gonna have to add all the tested 3rd party hilts to an official "gotta have it to play" patch, because it doesn't do a whole lot of good if the servers don't have them, same goes for models and skins, maps download to the client, need to make everything else do so as well
mccartney is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-25-2003, 05:54 PM   #20
Psynex

Quote:
Originally posted by laghima
this may be a bit off topic, but has anyone found a way of enableing the saber_sith_sword class in mp? it's easy enough to remove the "notinmp" line from the .sab file, but they still spawn a blade (i'm guessing it's attached to a flash tag they used for the lightning effect). it seems to work well enough in the selection window, but thats probably because the .menu dosent specify gfx (again only a guess )
granted, there's a good chance they hard coded it into sp, but here's hopeing.
Blades are certainly tied to a tag...in the event of there being no tag, the blade is emitted from world origin (0,0,0). The blade can still be removed, though I'm unsure how. I found that out at the end of my tutorial. I plan on amending that this weekend as I'm noticing more and more problems with the approach I wrote that with. Importing the saber MD3 was a bad idea; GLM should be decompiled and then imported.

One day while editing, I forgot to follow one of the steps and ended up having a saber hilt with no blade (no matter what color I picked). There was no need to edit all of the saber blade graphics. I can try and recreate that scenario and see if I can get you your answer. .

I don't know why you would need to edit the saber.menu at all. The saber hilts are displayed on screen as models, not an image as in Jedi Outcast. If the model is missing, you'll see 3 axis in its place in the selection menu...don't follow through on starting a game without a saber model cause it will crash (lesson 2 I learned).

NeoAnalysis and Halcyon: I did mix your names up...sorry about that.

ChangKhan[Raven]: I'm currently at work (mixing business and pleasure) and can't send a copy of my hilt. I can post here how I have entered the attribute:

saberColor blue
saberColor2 red
saberColor3 red

I have noticed something last night that may be the reason why, but didn't get a chance to test it in game yet. I was going by an already extracted saber MD3 that was in the \models\weapons2\saber folder....this model is the cause of many problems. Via your post above and since looking at a decompiled saber_1, I noted my blade tags were improperly named as tag_blade# instead of *blade#. This COULD be the source of my issues. The blades appeared fine reguardless, but the color wouldn't work. I'm guessing it defauted the tags in some fashion.

If this isn't the case however, I can send a copy as soon as I return home.
Old 09-25-2003, 07:48 PM   #21
ChangKhan[RAVEN]
Raven Software

Quote:
ChangKhan[Raven]: I'm currently at work (mixing business and pleasure) and can't send a copy of my hilt. I can post here how I have entered the attribute:

saberColor blue
saberColor2 red
saberColor3 red
Hmm, that should be right. Is this in MP or SP?

Michael Chang Gummelt
Game Programmer
Jedi Academy
Raven Software
Old 09-25-2003, 08:39 PM   #22
cayqel
Rookie

Psynex, you tutorial is awesome. I've never done any customization before but really wanted to make my own saber hilt. Since I'm a beginer I wanted to work from a current model, but there is only one MD3 file i could find in assests1.pk3 is the one in the tutorial. I was hoping to work of one of the other sabers, how do I import the model for the other sabers?

I got my arm cut off again? You've got to be kidding me!
----------------
The only honor is victory.
cayqel is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-25-2003, 08:58 PM   #23
Psynex

I use Milkshape 3d to import the GLM models. The GLM importer has a simple interface; choose LOD 0(zero), and also check the options to import materials and tags. I hope no one hangs me for using the MD3 while they work through that tutorial...I really can't make any changes until about Saturday. :\
Old 09-25-2003, 09:45 PM   #24
cayqel
Rookie

is there a way to get GLM's into gmax?

----------------
Old 09-25-2003, 11:21 PM   #25
NeoAnalysis
Rookie

installing new saber hilts in sp seems to demand editing the saber.menu file. I tried many different approaches including just dropping a .sab into ext_data/sabers as the tag line in saber.sab indicated. I could only seem to get them in if i amended saber.menu with the addtional entries. I mean even ChangKhan mentions editing saber.menu.
Old 09-25-2003, 11:32 PM   #26
Psynex

to get GLMs into Gmax...import them first into Milkshape, then export from Milkshape into either 3DS or MD3; those formats are easily imported into gmax with the appropriet importers in place.

Duely noted on the SP saber.menu thingy!

ChangKhan: I sent you what I have so far so you can check out the saber color problem.
Old 09-26-2003, 12:09 AM   #27
cayqel
Rookie

I get an missing control file error (saber_1.qc) when I try to export as MD3.

----------------

Last edited by cayqel; 09-26-2003 at 12:29 AM.
Old 09-26-2003, 12:21 AM   #28
laghima

Quote:
Blades are certainly tied to a tag...
obviously, but sith swords shouldn't have a tag_blade# (that is unless they call a separate shader, still looking) so, since the blade still appeares in roughly the right place i'm assumeing it's attached to a tag_flash they used for the efx

Quote:
in the event of there being no tag, the blade is emitted from world origin (0,0,0).
true for jo, but ja seems to set them at the character root (about six inches below the crotch...) that could easily have been a random glitch on my side though.

Quote:
One day while editing, I forgot to follow one of the steps and ended up having a saber hilt with no blade (no matter what color I picked). There was no need to edit all of the saber blade graphics. I can try and recreate that scenario and see if I can get you your answer. .
thanks, but it's probably only a matter of time until someone writes a omnimod equivalent/etc with them, no sense in makeing my models incompatible in the mean time. there were a few coders with the "japanese fighting" mod, so i might hear back from them when the mp source is realesed.

Quote:
I don't know why you would need to edit the saber.menu at all. The saber hilts are displayed on screen as models, not an image as in Jedi Outcast.
right, that's not really what i'm getting at though. the existing sith sword model dosen't call a blade in the menu display, i'm not really sure why though... the tag_flash/blade# catch might not register until your character spawns but that seems unlikely.

jo: shuriken set(4), melee pack (var. sino-japanese weapons*13), yogen set (torinoko/etc*4).
-jk2files.com
ja: kiriai (mumei kiyoshige katana, osefune tadamitsu katana, '44 model shin-gunto, modern kunai w/effects/sounds/blood)
-pcgamemods.com
Old 09-26-2003, 01:25 AM   #29
Psynex

Quote:
I get an missing control file error (saber_1.qc) when I try to export as MD3.
That's because you need to generate a QC file before you export it. Tools-->Quake III Arena-->Generate control file

Remove everything but the meshes section and save the QC file. Then export the saber as an MD3.

true for jo, but ja seems to set them at the character root (about six inches below the crotch...) that could easily have been a random glitch on my side though.

Random glitch? Possibly, especially if you've been editing it in a 3D app. I've been having a terrible time with pivot points not maintaining their place is space on export. I ended up with a blade in the same exact spot you mentioned.

right, that's not really what i'm getting at though. the existing sith sword model dosen't call a blade in the menu display, i'm not really sure why though... the tag_flash/blade# catch might not register until your character spawns but that seems unlikely.

blade# does appear in the menu, but I don't know about tag_flash...that could be why you don't see the blade in the menu, because your notion that the sword doesn't have a blade is due to the fact it has no blade#, resulting in the correct look in single play because EFX are being used, but not in multiplay where tag_flash is replaced by a saber blade.
Old 09-26-2003, 02:07 AM   #30
Forceflow_tap

Huge Hilt Pack

Well, obviously some people figured it out like I did, but I'm releasing a huge hilt pack mod for Jedi Academy early next week. It works for singleplayer and multiplayer. Has some nice hilts, a secret goody, and only 3 problematic tags. *shrugs* I'd fix the tags, but don't got the stuff to edit it. E-mail me if you want more details.

Dark_Kateria@yahoo.com

"The Time is Nigh, whatever that means..." - Me
Forceflow_tap is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2003, 01:31 PM   #31
Wolrajh
Rookie

bugs, coding limitation?

Hello, I'll try to ask my questions there since this is the saber-related post

Well, I've got two problems involving making multi-bladed weapons.

First, I've make a 3-bladed single saber, looking more like an old scottish claymore with 2 little blades doing a V at the base of the main blade. Well everything is fine, I don't have modeling problems or what... But ingame it is impossible to use this saber as any single saber, because trying to change stance only makes the 2 little blades to draw off. I could play with saberstyle and singlebladesyle in the .sab file but it'll prevent the player from using the 3rd style. So I was wondering if that was a hard-coding limitation? Is it just impossible to make a multi-bladed weapon works like a single saber without doing a mod and reprogramming the stuff?

Second, I've also made a 8-bladed weapon. Looks like a laser spiked chakram, the blades drawing around like sun rays Well this weapon doesn't seem to work ingame. Whenever I try to play with it (a solo mp game), I'm sent back to the main menu with this error message :

"WP_SaberParseParms :
saber single_ckrm [weapon's filename] has
illegal numbers of blades
(8) max : 8"

Well if the max number of blades is 8 as said both in the sabers.sab file and in this message, why can't I get it to work ? I haven't a clue here, and I was thinking about a bug... So Is there a solution to get this weapon to work ingame with 8 blades? It already shows off in the profile menu correctly. I'll stick to a 7-bladed working version for now but I'd like to know how to fix it.

Oh by the way thanks to Psynex for it's useful tutorial. I only imported glm's and everything always went great for me, except that placing the tags with Max in order to get the blades to be in the right direction in jka is kind of a random operation I was also wondering about the use of tag tag_parent as none of the sabers' glms seem to have one...

Ok, I hope anyone can give me a solution, thanks already
see you,
Wolrajh
Wolrajh is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2003, 04:38 PM   #32
Forceflow_tap

More Hilts 1.1a

Well, it's up. Me and my friend finally finished the thing.

ChangKhan[RAVEN], if you read this, I'd like your help with trying to fix the saber tags for the "Glory of the Sith" Sword and the "Sith Scepter", since I enabled them for hilts in single player and multiplayer. The blades are slightly off-center, and I really want them to be properly placed and aligned...

As for everybody else, if you use my mod, you can pick a red lightsaber in single player now. If you want to use my coding for that, just give me credit for it in your mod or e-mail me to ask for permission.

Have fun with it, everybody. Hope you'll all look forward to "More_Hilts Version 1.2".

"The Time is Nigh, whatever that means..." - Me
Forceflow_tap is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2003, 11:20 PM   #33
mcich_hadum
Lurker

I downloaded the more sabers version 1 but only 3 of the sabers have working textures, am I the only one with this problem?

Watch the shadows, sometimes they move when you least expect them
mcich_hadum is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-28-2003, 03:17 AM   #34
laghima

ok,i've made some (very minor) progress with the swords; they spawn a standard blade w/normal tag config and use the saber/ swordtrail shader, which is basicly a more jagged analogue of saberblur, the only real difference is that they don't seem to apply a base color to it(...or emit a glow line, or cast background lights...). so at this point it looks like coding is the only real option, unless there's a hidden saber color variable.
i'm looking into the new push effect at the moment(thinking along the lines of a devil may cry-esque sword trail... probably won't work but worth checking).

-jk2files.com
-pcgamemods.com
Old 09-28-2003, 03:34 AM   #35
Psynex

Re: More Hilts 1.1a

Quote:
Originally posted by Forceflow_tap
Well, it's up. Me and my friend finally finished the thing.

ChangKhan[RAVEN], if you read this, I'd like your help with trying to fix the saber tags for the "Glory of the Sith" Sword and the "Sith Scepter", since I enabled them for hilts in single player and multiplayer. The blades are slightly off-center, and I really want them to be properly placed and aligned...

As for everybody else, if you use my mod, you can pick a red lightsaber in single player now. If you want to use my coding for that, just give me credit for it in your mod or e-mail me to ask for permission.

Have fun with it, everybody. Hope you'll all look forward to "More_Hilts Version 1.2".
I've been chatting via email with ChangKhan[Raven] and he's mentioned that a new MD3View tool was used because the JO viersion did some strange tag changing where the blade is 90 degrees off its axis. Hopefully he'll be able to get us that updated tool.

As for the misalignment, that's a pivot point problem. At least with the current version of MD3View. It seems to grab some lingering info from the MD3 that uses a tags ORIGINAL pivot point position, even if the pivot has been realigned. I created tags using splines, then moved the pivot point in line with the shorter end of the triangle. Once viewed in MD3View though, the blade was off base to where the pivot for that tag was originally located, which was at the center of the tag. So if you just reset the tags pivot point and move it to where the blade should be you will be ok; even if the short end of the tag isn't in line with where the blade should be; because the pivot point is what's actually controlling things.
Old 09-29-2003, 01:45 AM   #36
Wolrajh
Rookie

You're totally right, Psynex, about the alignement of the tags... But I'm still wondering : what about the rotation and blade actual orientation ? I mean, I must still do a lot of tries before finally finding what I want. I tried already : the pivot point is not controlling orientation, only base location of the blade.

There is an embryon of rule though : when modeling with max, if the model appears as front-facing in the left viewport (I don't think i'm clear on this one, I'll put a screenshot... here ) ; So, when you're trying to rotate the blades to fit the blue arrows in the left (1.) viewport, which is rotating the tag using the X axis, you must actually rotate the tag along the Y axis and get what you see in the Front (2.) viewport.

What I would suggest then is to get in the viewport where you want the rotation of the blade, like in my 1. viewport on my screenshot ; set the tag like it is in the screenshot again, that is make it frontside, long edge pointing up (taht's for upside oriented blades) ; reset the pivot point orientation to make everything clear ; find the alignement by rotating the tag on X ; note the X rotation value ; reset the rotation again (back to long edge up) ; set a rotation on Y equal to the one you did on X.
All that make sense when you look at a model in MODview, since the blades are getting aligned and oriented on the -X axis ; it becomes obvious that the rotation must be done on the Y axis.

Yet... It's still not really user friendly Exporting from max to MD3 screws up the tag's rotation a first time, then from MD3 to MODview it is screwed up a second time We will wait for the new releases and see !

Please excuse me if i'm not really clear in my purpose ; but it's getting real late back here and my english is starting to get tired

edit : Well, I've been messing around in Max with positionning and rotating tags. The result can be found there :

A weird looking saber, isn't it ?

What I would say is that such sabers aren't very... Realistic. I don't think the blade can actually bend, or this is a new unknown technology I'd add that making those blades requires constant come and forth between every files and softwares : max, md3view, modview, notepad, jka What's more, red color is strongly recommended as they provide the thinnest blade core... The difference between yellow and red on my screenshot talks for itself.

Second Edit : I know, I know, I'm making a real long post.
But I noticed two little issues : first, where is the lightmap on the ground, on the walls, etc, when you draw you saber out? Well in FFA5 map - Taspir - the lightmap spawns in the middle of the pad, which must be the middle of the map !
Second, the left weapon acts weird when returning to it's idle position after striking : it actually makes a magic full 180 degree rotation in the hand !
Did any of those two strange glitches happen to anyone else's weapon(s) ? Any solution there again ?

Last edited by Wolrajh; 09-29-2003 at 03:06 AM.
Old 09-30-2003, 12:52 AM   #37
cayqel
Rookie

ok, so I know I've been asking alot of question, and I thank you for all the help. I was looking through the saber folders in the PK3, and there are two .jpgs in each, one with the saber, and one with the sabername followed by _spec. What is the difference between the two, and do I need to make two for my custom hilt?

----------------
Old 09-30-2003, 01:01 PM   #38
Psynex

Wolrajh: Yeah, I figured out that the pivot just point to the blade base and has nothing to do with orientation. Complete exporter issues in there. I'm not fully understanding your alignment guide, but that's because I'm not used to reading about axis and the pic is confusing because you have your saber on its side in the front viewport. I used one of the original sabers as a guid to arrange(setup) my saber.

But the Tags are a very big, confusing issue at this point. Anyone can make them work, but it usually means messing around with them much longer then one should have to. What I do is align them much the same way you have, then check it in game to see which axis the blade is running along. I then go back to my model and make the necessary rotation changes. That's the only sure-fire method at this point. :\

I like your saber very much. I had the idea of doing that as well, only having the blades hand down so it looked like a whip. saber whip; that would be nifty.

To cover your last two questions: I'm not sure where the lightmap is for the ground and walls; I haven't looked for it. The left hand is a bit funky when it comes to a second saber. I think it has something to do with the way the model is "copied" to the left hand. The axis on the left hand (for the saber) might have been reversed, but the code for the saber might not have been corrected and in some cases might still act like a right handed saber; meaning, a 180 degree reversal to return to idle because the idle axis orientation is 180 degrees off. I've had that happen animating at times because I overlooked my keyframes when rotating objects.

cayqel: the '_spec.jpg' is for specularity. Basically it's a map that makes those areas of the saber.jpg really bright and shiny.

That makes me have to ask: Is the spec map applied automatically? I haven't seen reference to it in any of the standard areas (shader files for example). Or is it applied in Max and then somehow tied to the saber?
Old 09-30-2003, 04:04 PM   #39
Wolrajh
Rookie

Psynex : Actually I put the saber on its side in the front viewport - or in front in the left/right viewports ^^' - because the saber show the side view of the sabers when you select one. That means that you put the left side in the left viewport and the front side oin the front viewport, you'll get a laid saber in the preview when selecting it ingame About my 'guide', I forgot to say that every modifications, except if specified, are done in WORLD alignement. To rotate your blade along the X world axis like you would do in my left viewport on my pic, you must actually rotate it along the Y axis to get the desired effect ingame Kinda confusing, especially since I don't know the specialised english words to explain it clearly, sorry

About the spec files, I haven't tried yet. But I think it is applied in Max as well. The spec textures' format and elements positionnings are exactly the same as the common textures.... And you can affect a map to specular under Max as well. So I believe it is all work with Max. What I haven't really figured for now are the glow options. File format is different, so I don't know yet. Will see later, probably. Those two things, specular and glow, are what can truly make the differences between one common hilt and one good one
Old 10-01-2003, 02:34 PM   #40
LightNinja
The Ninjonator

Hey Psynex, your tutorial is really good, but could u make one wich says how to do sabers with more than 2 blades plz? (like worlraj saber)

~JA MP Total Conversion~
LightNinja is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Editing Central > General Editing > JA lightsabers ?