lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Why is power generator outisde the shield?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 01-28-2007, 06:51 AM   #1
Darth Badguy
Rookie

Why is power generator outisde the shield?

Although you can change the layout of ur base in Forces of Corruption, it's still not possible to place the power generator inside you shield... and in original EaW, you can't even place it close to the shield... why not?

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him on his way to world domination!
Darth Badguy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-02-2007, 03:21 AM   #2
darthriddick
Rookie

Current Game: Kotor 1
well the logical reason is that it would be cheap if to destroy the sheild you had to go right into the hart of the enemys base....

and of course you could't bomb the genrator ether, so if i built a sheild it would give me a huge tactical advantage over my opponent.

not that i wouldn't like to have that advantage, but oh well... XD

as to how to make it so it's under the sheild that is something i'm working on right now!

darthriddick is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-12-2008, 05:43 PM   #3
TheSpartanJedi
Lurker

I never understood that either. Why would one of the most critical structures for your base be sitting outside the protective bubble that it's powering?
TheSpartanJedi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-12-2008, 06:27 PM   #4
Relenzo2
Forumite

I think that on a couple maps, I've seen the enemy place their generator under the sheild. Although it only makes sense flavorwise, it would be quickly possible to make a near invincible defense... get turbolaser, concentrate all your force under the shield, *rubs hands maniacally*... darthriddick, remind me to download your mod...

"The beauty and genius of a work of film may be reconceived, though its first material expression be destroyed; a vanished fiction may yet again inspire the screenplay-writer; but when the last individual of a race of living directors, of artists, breathes no more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be again." -William Beebe, modified in memorial of the twentieth century

Su'cuy, vod, kar'laylirdarasuum me'suum!

Star Wars: The Plastic Director's Cut!
Relenzo2 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-04-2008, 09:55 PM   #5
Ulmont

Current Game: Natural Selection 2
Veteran Fan Artist Veteran Modder Helpful! 
The shield generator is placed apart for the shield, because:

1. It forces the Enemy to split their attackers, & gives you fair warning.
2. It's cooler that way.

Ulmont is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-12-2012, 08:55 PM   #6
FirmusPiett
Lurker

I would imagine...

Perhaps, from a fanon/canon suspension of disbelief-type perspective, power generators are placed outside because the energies from both the annihilation of hypermatter and the ray/particle shielding would clash and cause problems. Idk, maybe it's inefficient or something.
In terms of balance it makes a degree of sense when the generator is also hidden away in a little corner of the map, certainly makes for fair opportunity. If the shield generator is easy to reach then the whole idea is a waste of time and it might as well be shielded, but if it's well defended and very hard to get to on the other hand then it's a good bit of fun for the methodical commander.
FirmusPiett is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-13-2012, 11:39 AM   #7
Mandalore5
Rookie

Current Game: Empire at War:Thrawn's Revenge
Yeah, I've seen generators inside shields. Playing EaW for the first time, Imperial campaign on Medium, attacking a Rebel planet with a shield generator inside the protective bubble. MPTL-2a armada destroyed all my forces, ended up trying to solo the entire planet with Darth Vader only.

I'm Mandalore, KotOR scripter-for-hire. Some know me, most don't. Here I am either way.
My KotOR1 Restoration Project (not just mine, there's someone else): http://deadlystream.com/forum/forum/...storation-k1r/
Mandalore5 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Empire At War > EaW General Discussion > Prepare For Ground Assault! > Why is power generator outisde the shield?