lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: Should the Senate Chambers and Kavar's Corner be merged?
Merge: Move Senate Chamber threads to Kavar's Corner 2 7.41%
Merge: Move Kavar's Corner threads to Senate Chambers 2 7.41%
Do not merge 23 85.19%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Should the Chambers and the Corner be merged?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-16-2007, 12:49 PM   #1
Dagobahn Eagle
First Strike Tester

Current Game: First Strike
Question Should the Chambers and the Corner be merged?

This may not belong here as a thread, but should the Senate Chambers and Kavar's Corner be merged into a single forum? I don't quite see the need for two debate forums on one board, and it'd be nice if we could just revive old threads in the Chambers rather than having to start new ones here in the Corner.

I voted for a move from the Corner to the Senate, as the Senate is older and has more threads.

Mod note: Moved to the Feedback forum. ~M

Last edited by stoffe; 07-16-2007 at 02:03 PM.
Dagobahn Eagle is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-16-2007, 01:06 PM   #2
SilentScope001
May The Force Serve You.

I say No. Kavar's Corner is a bit more laid back than the Senate, and possibly might avoid the same pitfalls as a Debate Forum (even so Kavar's Corner is slowly turning into one, at least some humor here and there lightens up the mood). Many people like Kavar's Corner more than they like the Senate. Hence, it is better to keep them seperate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Onion
"The Cambodian government has established many exciting-sounding 're-education camps' where both intellectuals and everyday citizens can be sent at any time," Day said. Well, we at Barnes & Noble have always supported re-education in America, and we intend to extend this policy to our new customers." For every hardcover book sold, Barnes & Noble will donate a dollar to the Cambodian government to help re-educate local children.
Full Article Here
SilentScope001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-16-2007, 02:53 PM   #3
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
I think the point of Kavar's Corner is to have a more friendly atmosphere for discussion and debates. The senate can get pretty heated at times.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-16-2007, 04:03 PM   #4
Samuel Dravis

I think they're fine as they are. Kavar's was meant to be different from the Senate from the beginning, so them being separate is good. Besides, trying to merge the moderating styles of both forums into a single consistent requirement might get under people's skins. I imagine the admins don't want to step on anyone's toes if they don't have to.

"Words are deeds." - Wittgenstein
Samuel Dravis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-16-2007, 09:54 PM   #5
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
I'd agree that merging the two would be counterproductive. The styles of editorial management are very different between the two forums. The Senate is more of a free-for-all with people often stepping all over one another, and pretty nastily too. KC has managed to maintain a certain degree of respectful difference, with mods taking a more active role in trying to keep things on a more even keel. Besides, it's also more convenient to move around within a forum than to jump to and fro between them.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-16-2007, 10:18 PM   #6
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
The whole point of creating Kavar's in the first place was to create a different environment from the Senate. So, thank you, no.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-17-2007, 08:07 AM   #7
The Doctor
Retired

Current Game: Skyrim
Forum Veteran 
While we're at it, why not merge Ahto with the Swamp?

No.
The Doctor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-17-2007, 09:25 AM   #8
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor
While we're at it, why not merge Ahto with the Swamp?

No.
Because my Inbox box would be full from Ahto people complaining about getting flamed.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-17-2007, 08:17 AM   #9
Nancy Allen``
Banned

Nup. I've seen how the Senate operates, some of what goes on there would never be tolerated. To combine the two would be like putting Darth Vader and Mara Jade together. Not good.
Nancy Allen`` is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-17-2007, 08:24 AM   #10
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
I say yes.

The Senate environment rocks

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-17-2007, 08:46 AM   #11
Master Zionosis
Relax On Air

Current Game: TR 8: Underworld
Contest winner - Modding 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pho3nix
The Senate environment rocks
Attracted to hostility I think.

Master Zionosis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-17-2007, 09:21 AM   #12
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]

10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
I cannot think of a reason why not. In the end I don't see really a difference between both forums, and I would not mind if the Senate Chambers would get rid of some of its grumpiness. However, I can live with both places in separation too.

Ray Jones is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-17-2007, 09:38 AM   #13
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Jones
I would not mind if the Senate Chambers would get rid of some of its grumpiness.
The Senate members are able to get rid of that grumpiness any time they want.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Old 07-17-2007, 09:24 AM   #14
Nancy Allen``
Banned

Which is why another forum was opened for similar discussion in the first place. Let people act like jerks elsewhere if they want to, a lot of people have no desire to become involved in the flame wars that typically occur but still wish to discuss serious and important topics.
Nancy Allen`` is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-17-2007, 10:57 AM   #15
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]

10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
Err, don't get me wrong, *I* can live with it.

Ray Jones is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-17-2007, 11:12 AM   #16
Rogue Nine
*static*

Current Game: Bravely Default
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagobahn Eagle
I don't quite see the need for two debate forums on one board, and it'd be nice if we could just revive old threads in the Chambers rather than having to start new ones here in the Corner.
Ah, but you see, we're not all just one board. JKII and SWK are separate entities, with two communities that may share some similarities, but ultimately have different feels as well as different moderation policies. Fusing Kavar's and the Senate would be incredibly counterproductive, as they each have different atmospheres.

I created Kavar's for the express purpose of having a friendly, discussion-type environment for serious issues. Thus, you could say that Kavar's was designed from the get-go to be different from the Senate. I would sooner close Kavar's down entirely than merge it with the Senate.

have a suggestion for the lf poll? pm me
Rogue Nine is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-17-2007, 11:41 PM   #17
Jae Onasi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Nine
Thus, you could say that Kavar's was designed from the get-go to be different from the Senate. I would sooner close Kavar's down entirely than merge it with the Senate.
I'd rather hell froze over than either of those options occur.

Old 07-30-2007, 02:57 PM   #18
tk102
Well past expiration date

Current Game: Dragon Age: Origins
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Nine
I created Kavar's for the express purpose of having a friendly, discussion-type environment for serious issues. Thus, you could say that Kavar's was designed from the get-go to be different from the Senate.
As Rogue Nine said, Kavar's is intended to be a discussion forum, whereas the Senate is a (de facto) debate forum. Kavar's was spin-off of Ahto for the sake of hosting the more serious topics. While the Senate shared a similar relationship to Yoda's Swamp, formal debate tactics and terms were laid out in its early days and encouraged over the years.

Therefore, Kavar's Corner is more closely related to the Ahto Spaceport Cantina than to Senate Chambers and Kavar's moderators tend to view it as such.
tk102 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-17-2007, 11:28 AM   #19
Reclaimer
Loves Keira Knightley.

I say nay.

Two different boards in my opinion.

philla は陰茎のハハのwat の名前をであるそのlmfao のゲイの名前吸う
Reclaimer is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-17-2007, 11:57 AM   #20
Darth333
Administraterror

As mentioned earlier, the Senate's atmosphere may not appeal to everyone. While there are similarities between the two forums, the topics are approached differently. Kavar is primarily meant to be a friendly place to discuss current events and other "serious" topics with a lighter tone ( and often less rigorously ) than in the senate. I think both forums have their place here.

Besides, there is also a different community feeling that has been created, even if several people who post in one forum also post in the other. Every LF board has a general discussion forum, several of them have RP, etc. I don't see why we should be restricted to only one "serious discussion" forum
Darth333 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-17-2007, 12:04 PM   #21
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

I say nay for a completely different reason.

The JK and the KotOR forums are inhabited by different communities. Members may overlap, but there are many who restrict themselves to one place. Therefore, it makes sense for them to have their debating place and for the KotOR forums to have their own.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-18-2007, 12:31 AM   #22
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
This just in.....due to global warming, Hell is now in for an unforseeably long heat wave...

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-28-2007, 11:03 PM   #23
SykoRevan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totenkopf
This just in.....due to global warming, Hell is now in for an unforseeably long heat wave...
Aw man, and right when my air conditioner broke

As for merging the Senate Chambers and Kavar's Corner, I say nay for pretty much the same reason Sabretooth said, in that one is for the Jedi Knight forumites, and Kavar's Corner is for us KotOR forumites. To add to that, I've noticed that KotOR gamers are of a different mindset than other Star Wars gamers, like those who frequent the Jedi Knight forums or the Battlefront forums. And it's not just on LucasForums, the difference is evident on other sites like FileFront. I don't know why, but KotOR forumites are generally less rude and/or belligerent than the people who frequent the other forums.

SykoRevan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Starwarsknights.com > Feedback > Should the Chambers and the Corner be merged?