lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Laptop suggestions
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-08-2011, 11:27 AM   #1
Ferc Kast
Modder

Current Game: SWTOR
Helpful! Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction Veteran Modder 
Laptop suggestions

I am looking into getting a new laptop; I had a few questions about specs to look for. As a modder for KotOR, I want to still want to be able to mod/play KotOR I & II. What are some graphics card suggestions to look for in a new laptop? Would something like this be able to handle my gaming need? Or, do you know of relatively cheap, but updated (Windows 7) laptops that are good for that?

Ferc Kast is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-09-2011, 10:25 PM   #2
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
At this point, if you want a GPU that is guaranteed to play KotOR, Nvidia is pretty much the only game in town, but laptops with Nvidia GPUs can be expensive.

Usually, Intel GPUs can run it after some tinkering, but it's become virtually impossible with AMD/ATI GPUs.

The newest Intel mobile GPUs, which are packaged with the new mobile Sandy Bridge CPUs, are roughly 4x as powerful as the previous generation, so it might be worth waiting for cheap Sandy Bridge laptops to become available if you plan on doing any gaming on it. It's just a matter of waiting until the previous generation sells out.

The Sandy Bridge CPU/GPUs have 4-digit model numbers (i.e. Core i3 2310M), verses 3-digits for the previous generation.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-10-2011, 07:20 AM   #3
Ferc Kast
Modder

Thanks; I'll keep that in mind while browsing. I'm curious, though: How much tinkering would be involved to get it running on an Intel graphics card?

Old 05-10-2011, 12:54 PM   #4
Q
The one who knocks

Depends on the model.

My laptop is 3 years old and has a GMA X3100 GPU. The only thing that I had to do, other than the normal installation tricks for running the game on Vista, was to set the "flipping policy" to "blit" in the graphics driver control panel, and the game ran fine.

That option is no longer available in the drivers for newer Intel GPUs, and I can only recall a few people getting TSL to run on a GMA x4500M; the GPU that came out after mine. Since I don't have the hardware available to me, I'm having a hard time figuring out what's preventing TSL from running while KotOR1 seems to run fine.

Someone else has managed to get it to run on GMA HD, which is the last GPU released before this latest one. Since the architecture of the 2 is very similar, it's a good bet that the games will run on the Sandy Bridge GPU as well, but, once again, it's impossible to be certain without the hardware sitting in front of me.

The main problem with the Intel GPUs (and AMD/ATI ones, for that matter) is legacy OpenGL support. Workarounds have usually been found for Intel GPUs (like 3D Analyze), but things are looking progressively more bleak on the ATI/AMD front as newer drivers are released.

Really, though, the ideal solution would be to find a laptop with an Nvidia GPU as cheaply as possible, because it WILL run KotOR with a minimum of fuss.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Old 05-10-2011, 02:56 PM   #5
Ferc Kast
Modder

So, any NVidia gpu should work for running KotOR? If so, i think I found a couple options to consider. Or are there some NVidia gpus that don't work with KotOR?

Old 05-10-2011, 03:18 PM   #6
RC-3556
Rookie

Current Game: Fallout New Vegas
I can run KotOR perfectly well with my laptops ATI.

RC-3556 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-10-2011, 08:46 PM   #7
Q
The one who knocks

^What model GPU, and what driver version are you using? If it's a late model, I'd be very interested in learning how you got the game to run.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferc Kast View Post
Or are there some NVidia gpus that don't work with KotOR?
Not that I'm aware of, no.

-Toker
Old 05-16-2011, 12:44 PM   #8
RC-3556
Rookie

It's an ATI 4570HD, latest drivers and I just popped KotOR in and it worked.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:05 AM   #9
Q
The one who knocks

How about TSL?

-Toker
Old 05-20-2011, 04:17 PM   #10
RC-3556
Rookie

Everything standard, model is a Sony Vaio PCG 5T1M, running catalyst control centre

Old 05-29-2011, 12:19 PM   #11
Ferc Kast
Modder

Well, I found a couple laptops that could fit my needs. I had a question about one laptop that i found in my search: The model is the refurbished 2010 15" Intel i7 model of the MacBook Pro, It has 2 gpu's: Intel HD Graphics and NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M, which automatically switch graphics; After installing the drivers from the Mac OS disk for the MacBook Pro on Windows, should the automatic switching still occur when using KotOR I & II on a dual-booted Windows?

I'd appreciate anyone that could help.

Old 05-29-2011, 01:03 PM   #12
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-15-2011, 07:20 PM   #13
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Current Game: NWN
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
I know KotOR works with my Intel GMA X4500, dunno about TSL though...

"I killed a man cause he killed my goat."
Negative Sun is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Community Discussion > General LFNetwork Forums > General Tech Discussion > Laptop suggestions