lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: KOTOR III: The Shadows Wrath
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-31-2012, 01:56 PM   #1
mr_dad
Rookie

KOTOR III: Dark Resurgence

Hey sorry for being inactive. It is with great sadness that I must report my an unfortunate turn of events. My computer had a major hardware failure, and most of my data was lost. On top of that, due to personal reasons, I have been involved on another project that has been taking up most of my time. As such, I won't be working on Dark Resurgence in the near future.

I still have several plot ideas that I plan to use, but for now I will not be active. As such, all members of my writing team can end their work. I'm truly sorry about this, and I thank everyone who put up with my frustrations. The passion that people have for this series even after all these years is truly inspiring, and I look forward to seeing the completion of future projects. I only regret I cannot be there with you all. Best of Luck to all of you.

Sincerely

~ Jonathan "Mr_Dad" Nelson

Old Mod Information
Show spoiler

LOCATIONS
Show spoiler

Characters
Show spoiler

Last edited by mr_dad; 08-18-2013 at 12:28 AM.
mr_dad is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-02-2012, 03:06 PM   #2
VarsityPuppet
Master of Puppets

Current Game: Chrono Trigger
Contest winner - Modding Forum Veteran Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_dad View Post
....to the lighthearted Atton Rand
Not the word I'd use to describe him...

VarsityPuppet is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-02-2012, 03:53 PM   #3
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Rookie

Hey man, I know you're doing the story yourself, but if you would like I know a few gentlemen who are experts in kotor lore and have excellent grammar skills. It might make you're job a bit easier if you're interested. So far its shaping up really good. I am guessing this is the third time you have had to post this topic considering LucasForums deleted a few things during the upgrade transition.

www.youtube.com/user/411Remnant
Mass Effect Unification Released, click on our channel to get it!

Last edited by TWINKEYRUNAWAY; 08-02-2012 at 10:25 PM.
TWINKEYRUNAWAY is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-02-2012, 04:59 PM   #4
Sith Holocron
M4-78

Current Game: The Old Republic
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire Helpful! Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWINKEYRUNAWAY View Post
Hey man, I know your doing the story yourself but if you would like I know a few gentlemen who are experts in kotor lore and have excellent grammar skills. It might make your job a wee bit easier if your interested. So far its shaping up really good. Im guessing this is the third time you had to post this topic considering lucas forums deleted a few things during the upgrade transition.
I assume you're not one of the gentlemen.
(Yes, I missed mentioning the commas as well.)

Considering trying out (or returning to) SWTOR? You may as well go through my link and help get me some SWTOR referral points!
Sith Holocron is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-02-2012, 10:33 PM   #5
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Rookie

Thanks for the busting of the chops Sith Holocron. (I mean this light in a light hearted kind of way of course :P .)

To answer your question sir, no I am not. I was referring to some guys that I know of. Also Mr. Dad I wasn't attempting to intrude on your creativity, just offering a light suggestion if you need a few extra minds to collaborate with. Young adults(18-21yrs of age) who grew up with this game as you and this community have.

Last edited by TWINKEYRUNAWAY; 08-02-2012 at 11:02 PM.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:08 PM   #6
mr_dad
Rookie

While building a team, I guess I will let you guys know about what I'm doing in the meantime.

Since K3 is the supposed final KOTOR story, I want to give some context and back story to some of the characters and events that are in it. This ill be accomplished through...

(Still working on the name)
This will be a large mod for KOTOR 2 that will act as a sort of prelude to TSW.

What will the SE include?
  • Two new locations: Outlander Station and Ossus
    A possible new or returning party member
    Appearances of the following characters: Juhani, Jolee, Dustil, Mission, Zaalbar
    Expanded character stories for Bastila and Carth
    A new mission on Telos
    More Weapons and Armor-sets
    More specific actions of Revan to be chosen.
    Three expanded Endings: Destroying Malachor, Assuming the Dark throne, and an ending in which G0T0 defeated HK-47 on Malachor.

Will this be compatible with the Restored Content Mod?
  • Absolutely.

What specific actions of Revan will be defined?
  • Bastila's fate, the love interest (Bastila/Carth or Juhani), Whether HK was ever recruited, and the final fate of Korriban to name a few.

I will be working on this mod at the same time my team writes the stories for TSW. There's a reason I set to release date for 2017...

More to come later...

Old 08-04-2012, 05:53 PM   #7
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Rookie

Wow! I mean, this is pretty cool. So while some of us wait for the kotor III project, we have this sweet addon to keep us busy. Very interesting and intriguing.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:11 PM   #8
CptPriceless

Current Game: TSL
Most of us would love to have the mod done earlier :P, but, this project's extremely ambitious, so 2017 sounds very reasonable.

I like the story, especially since the past 2 KotORs, the player was pretty much forced to become a Jedi. I feel players needed a lot more latitude in terms of choosing how they wanted to make their character - lightsabers aren't everything Mr. Lucas. Your storyline is perfect for this concept IMO.

Last edited by CptPriceless; 07-21-2013 at 02:47 PM.
CptPriceless is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-14-2012, 12:39 PM   #9
mr_dad
Rookie

Special Edition Logic Tree

Those of you familiar with Bioware might also be familiar with Bioware's "logic trees" they use for their games. These trees show all possible decisions and outcomes of their game. I decided to also use these trees both for both the K2 Special Edition and TSW. This is a sample of the endgame logic tree from the K2SE. It shows all the variables from the time you arrive at Telos the second time to confront Atris to just before you arrive at Malachor V.

Show spoiler

As you can see...we have a lot of work to do.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:06 AM   #10
CptPriceless

Current Game: TSL
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_dad View Post
Those of you familiar with Bioware might also be familiar with Bioware's "logic trees" they use for their games. These trees show all possible decisions and outcomes of their game.
You can even use those trees for dialogue. Writing all the dialogue choices in a word document makes reading a pain. x.x

CptPriceless is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-14-2012, 01:50 PM   #11
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Rookie

Well that's the fun part! Good luck with that.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:14 PM   #12
logan23
Veteran

Current Game: Revenge of Revan
Veteran Modder Forum Veteran Contest winner - Modding Hot Topic Starter 
Is there a way you can post the Logic tree image so it can be read.

Can't read it.

Good job with the logic tree

logan23 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-15-2012, 05:37 PM   #13
mr_dad
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan23 View Post
Is there a way you can post the Logic tree image so it can be read.

Can't read it.

Good job with the logic tree
I just want give you guys an idea of what its like. I don't exactly want to point out every decision and effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptPriceless View Post
You can even use those trees for dialogue. Writing all the dialogue choices in a word document makes reading a pain. x.x
You know it.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:14 PM   #14
mr_dad
Rookie

Ossus: The Shadows Threat

Ossus is a new planet for KOTOR 2 that adds an new story arc. It acts as expansion to the ending of K2 as well as a set up for KOTOR 3: The Shadows Wrath.

Ossus takes place right after the battle for Telos and before the the final fight at Malachor. When the PC lands in a ruined city only to be attacked by mysterious warriors.

I would like to consider Ossus the actual beginning of the end of KOTOR 2. Right before traveling here, the Ravager was either destroyed or crashed into Telos and destroyed the Citadel. Whichever one of these happened will effect events that take place on Ossus. Also, up to four of your party members may be absent when you are on this planet and some of the remaining ones might die on Ossus. Several things could happen that change the events of the game.

The way I have designed it, five aspects will determine the end of KOTOR 2.
  • Revan's fate.
  • Whether you completed the HK-factory mission.
  • Whether you let the Ravager crash into Telos, of your destroyed it.
  • The final decision you make on Ossus.
  • Whether you destroy Malachor in the end of not.

As of right now I have six endings planed out. Without getting into spoilers they are structured like this.
  • 2 Best Endings(Light and Dark)
  • 3 Average endings(Light, Dark, Alternate)
  • 1 Bad Ending

So that’s all for K2SE. As for K3...I'm still working on the story. I need a new non-jedi, alien party member. If anyone can give me ideas feel free to post.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:45 PM   #15
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Rookie

Rodians are so over looked. Considered a rodian bounty hunter for a party member?

Or even a trandosian bounty hunter type character.

Last edited by TWINKEYRUNAWAY; 08-19-2012 at 10:02 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:55 PM   #16
mr_dad
Rookie

Opening Scene

Hey guys.

First off, I want you guys to know that I'm trying to build a writing team for this game. I have read that article on Total Conversion mods, but I still think that for my mod a team is necessary. I if anyone is interested, read this: http://www.moddb.com/mods/knights-of...ng-for-writing

Now we get to what I want to talk about. KOTOR III's Opening.

K1 opened with an action sequence. You started out unfamiliar with any characters or the situation. Your goal was simple: escape before the sith kill you. It was simplistic and straightforward.

K2 opened much differently. First off your had a choice to either play the prologue or skip right to the Main plot. Instead of a straightforward objective, you had nothing to go on. You had to explore your surroundings and find your way out of your situation.

Both games opened well but very differently.

Now when working on the Opening for K3, I wanted to get across the fact that your decisions of the last two games were very important. After a long time I decided on how I would do that: a back story prologue.

K3 opens up on out lander station. After a ten or so minuet introduction, the game flashes back and recounts the events of K1-K2 and what happened in the many years since then. Here you make several decisions regarding the events of the past two games.

This way when the main story finally kicks in, you will see the effects of Revan and the Exiles choices.

Example: You decided that the Exile was good and was female. As a result you may end up seeing Mical of Atton in the Opening.

From my experience in any story, the beginning and the end are the hardest parts to do. And with the KOTOR games, you can imagine the difficulties I'm having.

Later...

Old 09-04-2012, 04:55 PM   #17
logan23
Veteran

Current Game: Revenge of Revan
Veteran Modder Forum Veteran Contest winner - Modding Hot Topic Starter 
This reminds me of Mass Effect's Prologue DLC that sets up the past choices.

Good idea, just don't make it to long and watch the pacing so plays can get into the new content.

logan23 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-05-2012, 11:16 PM   #18
tmandoo
Rookie

I can probably write for one of the characters, but not without a bit of direction and plot... Or even a basic description of what the people look like. I'd be for either Naresha or Anitor, and honestly, would also consider being a voice if you needed it.
tmandoo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-07-2012, 03:23 PM   #19
mr_dad
Rookie

Hey everyone.

I don't have any updates on the game itself, but I would like this. I have decided to make a wiki for Dark Resurgence. The thing is i don't really have the time to handle that along with everything else. So I'm looking for one or two people to handle the wiki. I will send them info whenever i need something updated and the shall take care of it. They also may have some leeway to edit the wikis how they like. If you are interested let me know.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:00 PM   #20
Scorge
Jedi Master

Current Game: SWTOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
This is pretty cool, Good Luck!

Formally MrObiWan

If you need help with textures on any KotOR/TSL mod, feel free to contact me.

Scorge is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-11-2013, 02:23 PM   #21
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Rookie

Are you still accepting writers? I know of 2 voice actors who have done some tremendous voice work for other mods in the past as well if you are interested.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:00 AM   #22
mr_dad
Rookie

Well everyone. I've got writer's block.

Okay, so it's been a while since my last update. I am working hard on coming up with a feasible story. I have been working on the plot for a long time, and I haven’t had a satisfying story. The biggest trouble Is that I am don't quite know how to start the story. So what I'm going to do is put out a contest.

Dark Resurgence Mission Contest

This will cover from the beginning of the game, to the arrival at the second location (i.e. Taris, Peragus.) Anyone who is interesting in writing for the story of Dark Resurgence will get a little chance here. So here’s what you need to know.
  • - This section takes place on Slyheron. While it does not have to begin there, the majority of the game takes place here.

- The characters Kelie Juan (Soldier) and Anitor (Mercenary) are introduced in this mission. They become your first companions.

This is just the main plot. Side quests come later.

- You are free to introduce any characters of your own creation, but try not to make them too major, as they may or may not ever be featured again in this story.

- I would like to return to Slyheron again, so please don't end the story will the planet getting nuked or something.

- The mission has to revolve around a job for the organization Eve and Kelie work for.

- At some point, the character Naresha has to be introduced. Try not to be to elaborate here. I’ll work with her character when the time comes.

- This story needs to be at least a fairly-specific synopsis of what happens. If you want, you can get specific enough to even write dialogue, but remember, the more specific you are, the more tweaking I may do.

- PLEASE make this either a txt, odt, or doc file. I can't read any others well with my computer.

That should be about it. If you have any questions let me know. When you have finished, please attach you story to an email and send it to jordan.kollins@gmail.com. I would like all entries to be received by April 1. The winner will be announced soon after.

Lastly, thanks to everyone who waited for me. I'll try to have more updates coming this year. I have officially removed to 2017 release date and am instigating an “It'll be done when it's done” release date. I plan to release the game in several parts, similar to Telltale's The Walking Dead Game. Thanks for sticking up with me.

Until next time
~ Jonathan “Mr Dad” Nelson

Last edited by mr_dad; 02-15-2013 at 05:01 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:43 PM   #23
R2-X2

Current Game: KotOR again. F*** yeah.
Good luck.

Beep.
R2-X2 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-18-2013, 05:33 PM   #24
.:Lord Revan:.

Current Game: MW3
Dont be afraid to reach out for help, im sure plenty of people on this forum would love to help you out.....and no im not one of them im the......beta tester/ideas giver lol

And the Dark Lord of the Sith!!
.:Lord Revan:. is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-15-2013, 07:09 PM   #25
Scorge
Jedi Master

Current Game: SWTOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Hows this project going? Been a long time since an update on it.

Formally MrObiWan

If you need help with textures on any KotOR/TSL mod, feel free to contact me.

Scorge is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-09-2013, 12:14 AM   #26
mr_dad
Rookie

Hello everyone.
I know it's been a while so heres an update. For the contest, I only recieved one entry (which was a little late) but I was very impressed with the way it was writen. However, I've decided to expand the contest to May 1st. If no more entries are recived, then I shall use the existing one.

As for the overall project, I'm still looking for writers. Right now I want to focus on 2 characters:
- Kelie Juan: At appearance, she is a hard worn soldier, but underneath she is a young woman with deep emotional troubles. While she the backbone of you force, she is willing to throw herself into any situation for the save a fellow soldier.
- Anitor: A gritty, mercenary who has little love for anything. He is the last one to give advice off any kind, and is ready to follow your orders. Expect his unquestioned loyalty...untill you piss him off a little to much.

The first "episode" in the series will be the entirety of Sleheyron. I hope to have it done sometime this year. Oh, and it will be a good 2-3 hours long.

Again, thanks for stckin with me!
- Jonathan "mr_dad" Nelson

Old 04-10-2013, 05:57 AM   #27
Paddy Garcia
Rookie

I'd like to give an attempt at an opening mission a whirl, but there's a bit of a snag. You need to either post (or PM me) more details on certain characters and what sort of roles they play; I need to know some basic information about Eve, and Naresha. By basic, I mean real basic: What factions are they affiliated/involved with? Are they antagonistic, cooperative, or some kind of mix?

Without those details, writing an opening mission's pointless; I might make Eve the enemy when she's supposed to be the reoccurring support character or something. Or an Exchange worker when she's supposed to work with the Hutts.

By the way, when you want to post something like this, it'd be best if you either used the full name of a character when you refer to them, or consistently refer to them as the same name. Without the newer post, I had no reason to think that Juan and Kelie were the same person.
Paddy Garcia is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-26-2013, 12:16 PM   #28
mr_dad
Rookie

Hello everyone. Fairly big announcement.

First off, I am (for know) removing the date limit for the mission contest. This will give you ample time to work on it.
For all of you writing an opening mission, all you need to are these points.
- EVE is the codename for the player character in the game, and can be man or woman.
- Narshe can be written howev you want, so long as she is established as an enemy by the end of Sleheyron.
- Kelie and Anitor become companions by the end. Write them however, but stay within the guidelines I have given.
- The entire first mission/episode takes place on Sleheyron (alough I don't mind if it ends elsewhere).
If there's anything else that you must absolutely know, PM me.

Now here's the thing. As of right now, I have no work done on the actual game, just a lot of writing. The reason being I am writing another RPG and gameplay system, which I want to use Dark Resurgence as a test for. Basically meaning I might not be using the Kotor II engine anymore (which I suppose would make this not a mod anymore.) I haven't decided for sure if that's what I'll be doing yet, but It's what I want to.
Since I am writing for Dark Resurgence as well as my original RPG (codenamed RetroX1), AND designing a system for both of them, progress will be very slow. But I at least want to get you at least a few episodes before I decided whether to stop Dark Resurgence all together.

For now, I will keep writing and graciously accepting and writing, composing, or other assistantance. And should this "mod" fail, well I will still be here to keep creating games and such for you.

Until next time,
~ Jonathan "mr_dad" Nelson

Old 04-27-2013, 02:22 AM   #29
MrBluevelt
Rookie

Something tells me "I haven't done anything on this and may or may not finish it, leaning toward not" won't inspire a lot of story submissions.
MrBluevelt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-27-2013, 12:57 PM   #30
supreme kotor

Current Game: Modding.. Wait is that a game?
My advice if you want to enlist peoples help: Do something. Im not even trying to be mean but even release some basic screenshots, just something get people motivated about your mod.

-Supreme Kotor

Current WIP: Learning to mod Kotor
supreme kotor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-17-2013, 11:08 PM   #31
mr_dad
Rookie

Hey sorry for being inactive. It is with great sadness that I must report my an unfortunate turn of events. My computer had a major hardware failure, and most of my data was lost. On top of that, due to personal reasons, I have been involved on another project that has been taking up most of my time. As such, I won't be working on Dark Resurgence in the near future.

I still have several plot ideas that I plan to use, but for now I will not be active. As such, all members of my writing team can end their work. I'm truly sorry about this, and I thank everyone who put up with my frustrations. The passion that people have for this series even after all these years is truly inspiring, and I look forward to seeing the completion of future projects. I only regret I cannot be there with you all. Best of Luck to all of you.

Sincerely

~ Jonathan "Mr_Dad" Nelson

Old 08-18-2013, 12:14 AM   #32
MrBluevelt
Rookie

This is a good example of why creating game posters and having contests and launching websites before you've actually done anything (including completing the general plot outline) is a bad idea.
MrBluevelt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-18-2013, 12:27 AM   #33
mr_dad
Rookie

I will not argue. When I started this project, I had little experience in the area, and I bit off waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than I could chew. The project I'm working with now has been doing a much better job of remaining private and unknown. Possibly because I'm working with a team I can interact with directly. But every experience, even the bad ones, will lead you to better results in the future.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Editing / Modding > Holowan Laboratories > KOTOR III: The Shadows Wrath