lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Moderation feedback
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 09-09-2003, 05:01 AM   #41
C Shutt
My noze comes off

Quote:
Originally posted by Neil Joshi
Okay, do you want that? Seriously, I don't thnk anyone including the mods here want to get rid of the harbor.
Speak for yourself.
C Shutt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-09-2003, 08:04 AM   #42
RoyTordesLegend
Annoying LF since 2003

Current Game: Resurrecting 'Ye Olde Harbour'
Forum Veteran 10 year veteran! 
Deep thinking from the guy above....

Quote:
Originally posted by Neil Joshi

So instead of complaining, tell us what you want. What would you have us do as good moderators, although don't be stupid and say stuff like 'Allow spam and flame', or other such, but stuff that you think would make the forum fun whilst not being completely boring, or lifeless, or too crappy. I'm not garunteeing that we'll do it all, but myidea is we come up with a list of rules for all (including mods) to abide by. Of course you as well as us will see all of the rules so if you feel we're not abiding by them, then you can tell us, as well as the other way around. These will of course be more of guidlines than rules (i had to throw a little POTC in there) but they will help, I know that. what do you guys thing. Moderation Feedback, that's what we want.
Neil, is everyone involved in this proactive thinking? Or are there mods out there with their heads in the sand, like I get the feeling there might be?

I've said above and in many other posts, the first thing we need, is mods to stop insulting people on the forums. Whether you're insulted yourselves or not. Insulting people is simply not good practice.

Moderators MUST agree with each other, or at least appear to agree in public. I've seen posts closed by one moderator then re-opened by another.....this is just a joke.....if a post is closed for right or wrong reasons, leave it alone or you undermine your colleague, which leads to the less mature users immediately thinking they can treat the first mod with a lack of respect.

Moderators should not argue on the forums......I'm sure most of the disagreements are behind closed doors, but the ones that slip out seroiusly undermine your guys profile....

....anyway, I'm repeating myself...err bye!!

Roy Tordes - The Legend
RoyTordesLegend is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-09-2003, 09:18 AM   #43
Zoom Rabbit
Trekkie

Current Game: Tsuji-giri
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Arrow Communication

See above.

When the 'big crackdown' occured, there was no word or warning beforehand. I downloaded the forum page one morning and saw that all the active threads had been closed, and only one thread open. It was from the moderators (they know who they are) responsible, sarcastically mocking the situation.

Sense of humor. Yes, I get that part. But I'm sure you guys can see how not everyone might take it that way.

The new policies regarding 'spam' in the Harbor came out in the wash, but it was too late. Whether it was a joke or not, some people do not appreciate being treated by someone who is supposed to be in a position of authority in that fashion. If you have some kind of power over me, and you mock me...you can bet your bottom dollar that my next act will be in resistance.

I was willing to let bygones be bygones, and returned to posting in the Harbor. When I tried posting the Monkey Sutra as a peace offering by way of meaningful discourse, that thread was moved without explanation to the 'fan stuff' forum. Angry, I took my writings elsewhere...and only figured out later that 'fan stuff' was meant to be a fiction forum. I would have shrugged it off as a legitimate move if someone had bothered to communicate exactly why they had done it, rather than leaving me to wonder what the heck the 'fan stuff' forum was.

It seems as if the moderators here swoop in and exercize their almighty mod powers with as little explanation as possible...or do so in a sarcastic, almost demeaning fashion, then chalk it off as a 'sense of humor.' This is poor communication.

My advice is: Make more effort to communicate with your members about what is acceptable or not in the forum before modding them about and pissing them off. It's just common courtesy! And when you do communicate with them about important stuff, set the sarcasm aside for a moment and show your own position the dignity it deserves.

On the other hand, if you're being sarcastic to me because I'm a Star Wars game fan, you can lick my lightsaber.

'Pretty swallow, cut open the dawn so the sun may rise on this day.'
--Some long-eared freak with a sword

See my sword collection
Zoom Rabbit is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-09-2003, 10:00 AM   #44
Joshi
Registered Amuser

Location: Wherever the wind takes me... or failing that the nearest cinema.
LFN Staff Member 
So what's that special word for today?

No seriously, i've talked it over with the other mods, and we've gcome to a desicion.

Joshi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-09-2003, 07:09 PM   #45
RoyTordesLegend
Annoying LF since 2003

Current Game: Resurrecting 'Ye Olde Harbour'
Forum Veteran 10 year veteran! 
...haway Neil, what this decision??

Its not the one about wearing green pants on friday is it?

Roy Tordes - The Legend
RoyTordesLegend is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-10-2003, 04:17 PM   #46
Joshi
Registered Amuser

LFN Staff Member 
Where did you heard about that?! Have you been hacking into the mod forum?

No, i've still got to get the fine details down on it before I say anything drastic, so you're just going to have to wait.

Old 09-10-2003, 04:30 PM   #47
Gabez

Or maybe you just said "i've talked it over with the other mods, and we've gcome to a desicion." ;
Gabez is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-10-2003, 05:42 PM   #48
Joshi
Registered Amuser

LFN Staff Member 
Yeah, that's about it, we don't actually do anything in the secret forum except slag everybody else off anyway.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Monkey Island Discussion > Feedback > Feedback Center > Moderation feedback