lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Thoughts on the Mod Contest for LucasFiles.com
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 09-13-2003, 10:34 AM   #1
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

Thoughts on the Mod Contest for LucasFiles.com

I'd consider entering but I can't accept the file submission agreement for lucasfiles.com. I've mentioned this before but it basically states that we have no right to our work, period.

In addition, I don't like the idea of having the "public" decide the winner. While this seems like a good idea on the surface, it's racked with problems.

Firstly, a lot of the JK2 community is very ill informed about their mods. If you asked 10 random people who originally created such features as the RBG saber colors or customizeable handles, they'd probably say BOFH/Spectrum instead of Dest/TCK. I'm concerned that people will vote by simply what they know/have played instead of trying each mod and making an informed decision on the quality of the mod instead of the "OMG!!! Th3r3 B J3tP@cz!!!" factor.

Secondly, it's pretty easy to cheat in an open-to-the-public online voting system.

---Jedi Guardian of the Newbie Questions
---Masters of the Force Team Leader / Creator
---Open Jedi Project Lead Moderator / Co-Founder
razorace is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-13-2003, 11:26 PM   #2
ZBomber
Dual Wielding Wiimotes

Current Game: Super Smash Bros 4 Wii U
Forum Veteran 
Re: Thoughts on the Mod Contest for LucasFiles.com

Quote:
Originally posted by razorace
I'd consider entering but I can't accept the file submission agreement for lucasfiles.com. I've mentioned this before but it basically states that we have no right to our work, period.

In addition, I don't like the idea of having the "public" decide the winner. While this seems like a good idea on the surface, it's racked with problems.

Firstly, a lot of the JK2 community is very ill informed about their mods. If you asked 10 random people who originally created such features as the RBG saber colors or customizeable handles, they'd probably say BOFH/Spectrum instead of Dest/TCK. I'm concerned that people will vote by simply what they know/have played instead of trying each mod and making an informed decision on the quality of the mod instead of the "OMG!!! Th3r3 B J3tP@cz!!!" factor.

Secondly, it's pretty easy to cheat in an open-to-the-public online voting system.
I agree. About both things. I couldn't get passed the Agreement either, and I think the staf fof JK.net should decide for the winner.

EDIT - Maybe choose some people to rate the mods, and the one that has the highest rating wins. Or something.

Last.FM - Ow, give up the funk
Let the truth of love be lighted
Let the love of truth shine clear
Sensibility
Armed with sense and liberty
With the heart and mind united
In a single perfect sphere
ZBomber is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > JediKnight.Net > Feedback > Thoughts on the Mod Contest for LucasFiles.com