lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Bush Campaign invoking images of 9/11: right or wrong?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-10-2004, 12:45 PM   #41
ShadowTemplar
Heathen

Quote:
Originally posted by rccar328
I find it hard to fault President Bush for using 9/11 in a campaign add...after all, it was the defining moment of his presidency, as well as a defining moment for our nation.
'Defining moment for our nation' [/contemptous sneer]. Talk about a narrow-minded nation then. 9/11 was in-sig-ni-fi-cant in every definition of the term, save for the fact that dubya's been using it as an excuse to wage war on a sovereign country (without the approval of the UN), to cut back civil rights (which the republican party has been against since god-alone-knows-when), further over-inflate the military budget, and to obscure his mishandling of the (world) economy.

Quote:
Besides that, how can democrats blame President Bush for using 9/11 as a campaign issue because it was a tragedy when they have no problem with Kerry using Vietnam, another tragedy, in his campaign?
J. F. Kerry is not relevant to the topic of this thread. However, there is a difference between mentioning a disaster in a speech, and showing one in technicolour.

Quote:
Kerry may have been a hero during the war, but his behavior toward Vietnam vets after the war was anything but heroic.
Exactly how is it 'not heroic' to stand up to the political establishment and proclaim that you are no longer in favor of a war that you have been fighting in? How is it not heroic to admit that you have made a mistake? A mistake that made people die?

Quote:
Ok ok, just because we don't find the WMD's doesn't mean they're not there. Just remember that.
"...and in the face of mountains of evidence, we shall pin all our hopes on the slimmest of doubts..." - Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "For I have tasted the fruit"

Quote:
Kerry talks about how he's sooo patriotic, he got shot, and went home.
Kerry still is not the issue here.

Quote:
OK, Bush helped us get through 9/11, did he not? He did, so doesn't he have the right to say how he helped us through? Just a thought.
If he can prove that he 'helped you through', and didn't just **** up.

Quote:
Also, the President is not in direct control of the economy, though his plans for it do influence it. Right? I would be interested to know how the economy would be after 9/11 if Gore or Kerry was President.
Better. Giving tax cuts to the richest is money out of the window. Going into expensive, pointless wars is money out of the window. The Democrats were opposed to both.

That said, I agree with ET (for once) that 9/11 was insignificant in this respect. You just have to look at the numbers, to see that no single attack, nor any two attacks for that matter, could cause such massive problems.

Quote:
Giving someone credit for doing something that is defined in the job description seems pretty generous.
hehehe

BTW, Skin: WTF does GOP stand for? You've used it several times. GOvernment in Power?

Last edited by ShadowTemplar; 03-10-2004 at 01:05 PM.
ShadowTemplar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-10-2004, 02:02 PM   #42
SkinWalker
Anthropologist

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally posted by ShadowTemplar
BTW, Skin: WTF does GOP stand for? You've used it several times. GOvernment in Power?
The Grand Old Party.

Sorry... I forget that not everyone gets some of the little nuances of American government.

The GOP is the Republican Party in general. Within this party are moderates that lean more toward the left and hard-liners that lean more toward the right. The latter are usually referred to as "conservatives" and used like this: "conservative republican." Though, in the last 10 years or so, a new group of hardliners have emerged that are known as the neo-conservatives and they clearly have an agenda that is bad for the country.

Much of their agenda is secretive, yet one can infer it from their policies and actions by watching the members of this club in action (Rumsfeld, Cheney, Ashcroft, Wolfowitz, Pearle, et al).

There are those that believe that George W. Bush is simply their little "bitch-boy" and their means of maintaining power. I'm not sure I agree with that, however.

A Hot Cup of Joe - My Blog

Not finding an intellectual challenge in the Swamp? Try the Senate Chambers!

Evolution and How We Know It's Right - Post your thoughts!
Debate Strategies & Tactics - Polish your online debate skills and offer your own advice
SkinWalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-11-2004, 09:18 PM   #43
MennoniteHobbit
Veteran

I have never heard of the "neo-conservatives." Is this just what you call the new, strong left people, or is this a true title? Or who are they anyway???

MennoniteHobbit is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-12-2004, 03:30 AM   #44
SkinWalker
Anthropologist

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally posted by MennoniteHobbit
I have never heard of the "neo-conservatives." Is this just what you call the new, strong left people, or is this a true title? Or who are they anyway???
I refer you to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neoconservatism_(United_States)

Neoconservatism is a conservative movement with origins in the Old Left that has been very influential in formulating pro-war foreign policy stances by the United States.

The term "neoconservative" remains somewhat controversial, with many of those whom the label is applied to rejecting it. It has become an increasingly popular term in recent years, to the point where many say it is becoming overused and lacking any coherient defintion.

But click within that page on The return of neoconservatism under George W. Bush for the contemporary definition.

A Hot Cup of Joe - My Blog

Not finding an intellectual challenge in the Swamp? Try the Senate Chambers!

Evolution and How We Know It's Right - Post your thoughts!
Debate Strategies & Tactics - Polish your online debate skills and offer your own advice
SkinWalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-12-2004, 08:23 PM   #45
MennoniteHobbit
Veteran

thanks for the info!

MennoniteHobbit is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-16-2004, 10:35 PM   #46
The_One
The Dude Abides

I think whether the use of 9/11 images is "right or wrong" depends entirely on your moral standpoint.

On a purely practical note, Bush is going to use any platform he can to get re-elected, whether that be turning 9/11 to his own political advantage, attacking Kerry for being a liberal (why is this such a dirty word in American politics?), mobilising the Christian Right or even engineering a convenient capture of Osama in time for the election.

Campaigns are nasty things, and candidates are (obviously) intent on winning, and rarely worry about how they go about doing so.

Dark Forces: A Mod for Jedi Academy
Webmaster

Maude Lebowski: What do you do for recreation?
The Dude: Oh, the usual. I bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback.
The_One is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2004, 07:24 AM   #47
ShadowTemplar
Heathen

Quote:
Originally posted by SkinWalker
The Grand Old Party.
Thx for the info.

ShadowTemplar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Community > Senate Chambers > Bush Campaign invoking images of 9/11: right or wrong?