If you are having problems running TSL, and you are using an ATI Radeon video card, chances are your problem can be documented like this:
You go through the character creation proccess and watch the intro movies. Then, the screen goes black with music playing in the backround.
THIS PROBLEM IS QUITE EASY TO FIX!!!
Your problem is that TSL doesn't like whatever version of the ATI Catalyst drivers that you happen to be using. To fix the problem, follow these simple steps below:
1.) Download and Install the latest Catalyst Drivers
The link: http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html
NOTE: The latest Catalyst Drivers are version 7.1
2.) Edit the "swkotor2.ini" file- Fixes the Dantooine Lag Issue
- First, select your operating system.
- Next, select the "Graphic Driver" option.
- Next, select the "RADEON Family" option.
- Finally, select your video card from the list.
- The next webpage will offer you two download options: the internatonal and the english versions. Choose the one that will do you best.
- Its an executable file, so you shouldn't have much trouble installing it.
This edit is no longer required for most ATI users since the Catalyst 5.4 drivers have fixed the Dantooine Lag issue. However, I still recommend this step since the 5.4 drivers still don't give you the best performance on Dantooine.
Also, if you are still having problems with Dantooine, then this step is not optional. You will need to take this step to fix the problem.
SINCE THE 4.11 CATALYST DRIVERS ARE NO LONGER AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD, THIS STEP HAS BEEN REMOVED.
- First, figure out where the .ini is installed. Default is "C:\Program Files\Lucasarts\swkotor2\swkotor2.ini". If its not in that location, then your going to have to do some searching around on the hard drive a bit.
- When you find it, just double-click on the file to open it in Notepad.
- Scroll down the file until you find the Graphics Options
- Under the last line, add "Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1", without the quotes.
- Goto File, then Save.
However, if you do manage to find a link to the 4.11 drivers, then please post that information below.
All ATI users should check out the handy tweak guide below. thanks to Acleacious for finding it.
the link: http://www.tweakguides.com/ATICAT_1.html
anyways, feel free to post questions or comments below.