lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: New Doctor Who
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-09-2005, 11:28 AM   #41
LiMP RABBiT

If you check Clive's Doctor Who Website that was used in Rose, you'll see they've updated it according to each episode. Quite interesting actually. Just thought you should know.

LiMP RABBiT is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-12-2005, 09:20 PM   #42
MJ
Lemonade

LFN Staff Member 
Level 500 episode with Simon Pegg was a bit of a let down. It WAS very cool to see the Doctor lose HIS cool with a potential companion though.

That's what happens when you meddle with time, though...

Want some funny radio plays?
Nightlight Productions
All Night Long
MJ is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-13-2005, 06:45 PM   #43
Huz
Coconut in the lime

10 year veteran! LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally posted by 8 of 12
Level 500 episode with Simon Pegg was a bit of a let down.
Let's kill him Gabez.

Tomorrow's looks good, from the trailers. Apparently the baddies were originally going to be sinister monk-like characters in cowls, rather than huge flying monsters. That would have been fantastic, and more subtle. Still, we'll see how this turns out.

Oh, and Prince Caspian does exist, Gabez. Part one is good and has the best centaur... EVER!

"I once ate a teabag" - Thrik
The Huz Experience
Huz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-13-2005, 08:09 PM   #44
MJ
Lemonade

LFN Staff Member 
I want Grim Reapers! I want Death himself, prowling around, trying to juggle his scythe and a cup of coffee...

Nightlight Productions
All Night Long
Old 05-14-2005, 03:19 PM   #45
Huz
Coconut in the lime

Oh well, I've completely changed my mind. You just couldn't achieve the same effect with Grim Reaper characters, sinister as they would be!

That episode has just shot right to the top of my "best episodes" list. A TV mag described it as the sort of high-concept stuff they tried to do with Sylvester McCoy, only they've done it successfully this time. I agree - it was fantastic! It even justified the existence of some of the dull hand-wringing conversations they've had between the Doctor and Rose in past episodes (but only some). A real classic.

I'm really looking forward to next week's, too. The clip from it, as seen in the montage shown on Jonathan Ross before the series began (Gabzo linked to it earlier in this thread), looked brilliant. Hope it lives up to expectations!

PS. Prince Caspian is very good. Dawn Treader model looks slightly less great than I remember, but still good.

The Huz Experience
Old 05-17-2005, 12:08 AM   #46
MJ
Lemonade

LFN Staff Member 
Well... THAT'S what happens when you try and play god with time. Not good at all!

That was a really good episode, but I'm getting annoyed that every single episode takes place on Earth.

I mean yeah, they're going back and forth in time, but the TARDIS does space as well. Hopefully we might get a few galactic stories next season. The Doctor has to grow tired of the one planet at some point.

In the trailer for next week's episode, we get a look of the new companion, Captain Jack. Does he strike anyone else as an arrogant git? A bit like an unfunny Lord Flashheart. Hope I'm proven wrong, we're going to have to put up with the guy for the rest of the season.

Nightlight Productions
All Night Long
Old 05-18-2005, 10:46 AM   #47
Gabez

What, really? Captain Jack? I didn't know about that... come to think of it, I can't even remember what the trailer for the next epsiode was about!

"Fathers Day" was definitely my favourite so far, though. Very clever writing and classic Doctor Who. The hooded Monks sounds even cooler though, shame they didn't go through with that... though it might have ruined the effect, I dunno.

PS. Now you're making me want to get those DVDs!
Gabez is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-18-2005, 11:17 AM   #48
LiMP RABBiT

The latest episode was very good. Things do get very messy when people play around with time, but there were no massive gaps in logic that I could see, which was a plus. And it did go some way to answering your question about why the Dr. didn't save the other timelords, 8 of 12. Still, I maintain that Dalek is nigh on impossible to beat.

By the way, what's the deal with the Dr. changing? Does he voluntarily die and then change, or does it work when he is killed as well?

Old 05-18-2005, 03:58 PM   #49
Huz
Coconut in the lime

Quote:
Originally posted by LiMP RABBiT
By the way, what's the deal with the Dr. changing? Does he voluntarily die and then change, or does it work when he is killed as well?
He regenerates when he is killed - I don't think he's ever regenerated voluntarily. There's some limit to the number of regenerations he has apparently, and with Eccleston leaving, he's rapidly approaching it... I'm sure they'll think of something!

If you really want to know (and admire my geek-out skills at the same time)...

spoiler:
1st Doctor died: Er... dunno.
2nd Doctor died: forcibly regenerated by the Timelords as a punishment
3rd Doctor died: fighting a big ****off spider
4th Doctor died: tipped off a radio telescope by the Master
5th Doctor died: sacrificing himself to save Peri ;(
6th Doctor died: Running away from the Rani or summat... Colin Baker didn't actually want to record the regeneration sequence, so it was mysteriously glossed over ;
7th Doctor died: being shot by some American kid.
8th Doctor died: we don't know!

Now I feel all dirty.

The Huz Experience
Old 05-18-2005, 06:39 PM   #50
Gabez

I think the 6th Doctor fell off his excercise bike. There was some sub-plot going on with him keeping fit too - crinking lots of carrot juice or something! Anyway, the regeneration between Colin and Sylvester is hillarious, as it's obviously just Sylvester in a wig!

I hope the 9th Doctor has a dramatic death, like falling off Big Ben to save Rose or something. There are of course some things required for a good regeneration, like rest time in the Tardis maybe? I think Colin Baker had that, or maybe it was Davidson... he had to be carried around by his assistents in some salvaged wood from the Tardis. The episode was called Casalvalva or something. You know which one I mean!

Anyway, I believe a Timelord gets to 13 generations before he gets turned into a peice of slime that has to inhabit someone elses body to start all over again. This is what happened to The Master in the TV movie, if memory serves.

It would be great if we could find out how McGan died, incidentally... it would also be great if the Doctor finds a way to revive the Time Lords sometime, because they were quite good. It would make sense too - they've really stripped the Doctor down to his bare essentials this series, and are slowly adding old things back like the Daleks and that so as not to confuse and frighten off the new generation of Who fans.
Gabez is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-18-2005, 06:52 PM   #51
MJ
Lemonade

LFN Staff Member 
Captain Jack Harkness is that dashing guy who was trying to make it with Rose in the trailer. He's sticking around.

The first Doctor was killed by the Cybermen. They've lost that episode, but the snippet of him regenerating still exists.

Oh, and while it appears the Doctor only regenerates into a new body when he dies... I'm assuming he can do it on will, and control what he looks like as well, if he really wants to. Because Romana did.

Romana was a companion of the fourth doctor, and a time lord. After six stories she regenerated, and she actually treated it like changing her clothes. She kept coming through the door with a different body and asking the Doctor 'so how about this one?'

Struck me as a little strange at the time...

We could still see how McGann died if in season 2 Tennant goes through time to help McGann and witnesses him dying and regenerating into Chris. There's your three doctors special right there.

Nightlight Productions
All Night Long
Old 05-19-2005, 08:52 AM   #52
LiMP RABBiT

The reason I asked about the regeneration is because the Doctor was killed in that last episode, but he didn't regenerate. But maybe that was because the Tardis wasn't their, or because those things send people to a different time/dimension, or because he was torn up, not just killed.

Old 05-19-2005, 09:18 AM   #53
MJ
Lemonade

LFN Staff Member 
Yeah... well... I don't think the Doctor's had a death before where his body was destroyed like that...

Nightlight Productions
All Night Long
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Grim Fandango Discussion > Hosted Forums > Nightlight Productions > New Doctor Who