lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: Should you be able to pull a Bindo in KOTOR 3?
Yes 56 93.33%
No 4 6.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Pulling a Bindo.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-05-2006, 08:43 AM   #1
Jason Skywalker
Fight da Powah

Current Game: SMT: Imagine
Pulling a Bindo.

Do you think you should be able to pull a Bindo in this game?For those that have played KOTOR 2,you probably now what i'm talking about.
Jason Skywalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2006, 10:52 AM   #2
Diego Varen
Left and may not return

Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Yes, because you and Handmaiden talk about it. Congrats on your first Thread on LucasForums.
Diego Varen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2006, 12:25 PM   #3
Jason Skywalker
Fight da Powah

Thanks. But i don't think it's my first thread. I was Darth Wiggles(the one with the Anakin avatar),but i forgot my password.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:53 PM   #4
TSR
Hoist the colours!

Current Game: Rift
Forum Veteran LF Jester Helpful! 
OMMMM!!!!! naught naughty! isnt there a "forgot password" option? anyways, yeh i think you should be able to pull a bindo. that would be pretty cool

British By Birth. English By The Grace Of God

Dulce et Decorum Est Pro Patria Mori
Let Mercy Come
TSR is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2006, 02:03 PM   #5
nas77
Rookie

Damn, I can't remember what pulling a Bindo means!! It's been so long since I played. Refresh my memory please!

"Take this guy... armed robbery, double homicide... has a taste for theatrics, like you... he leaves a calling card..."
nas77 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2006, 02:30 PM   #6
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Pulling a Bindo = Jedi lovin'

My 2 cents is "no". Jedi aren't supposed to have romantic attachments and Sith should be more concerns about dominating the galaxy than which party member they should bed first. Kinda kills the whole "role play" thing if you ask me.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2006, 03:47 PM   #7
Jason Skywalker
Fight da Powah

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom_tyrant
OMMMM!!!!! naught naughty! isnt there a "forgot password" option? anyways, yeh i think you should be able to pull a bindo. that would be pretty cool
Well,i also forgot my mail.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:07 PM   #8
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

Current Game: Dead Space
Forum Veteran Roleplayer LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles
Pulling a Bindo = Jedi lovin'

My 2 cents is "no". Jedi aren't supposed to have romantic attachments and Sith should be more concerns about dominating the galaxy than which party member they should bed first. Kinda kills the whole "role play" thing if you ask me.
i have to disagree. its definately not a requirement to have a romance between the PC and another character, but it does add to the roleplaying aspect if you have that option. any relationship can turn romantic in real life if you pursue things from the proper angles, so why shouldn't you be able to do so in an RPG??

See the struggle of the faithless lot as they negate their time
How low to sink to the depths of their frame of mind

stingerhs is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2006, 04:57 PM   #9
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Love is a big part of the Star Wars movies, for both good and ill. Why shouldn't it be a part of an RPG, too? As long as it's optional so one has a choice on pursuing a relationship or not, I'm happy.

Being a big Jolee fan, though, I'd much prefer an alternate term to 'pulling a Bindo.' There's just something wrong about calling it that.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2006, 05:23 PM   #10
Uber_Saber

Quote:
Kinda kills the whole "role play" thing if you ask me.
Yeah, 'cause nothing says "Roleplay" like less options. It was entirely possible, and easy to do so, to go through the first game without any sort of love story. And the second game never really had a cohesive romance sub-plot at all. Just some angsty characters with crushes which love does not make.

I think it might be a nice idea... but not required.

Aside: Besides, true evil always knows that there's time to bed the girl before some good old-fashioned galactic domination. Muhahaha!

Quoth the Raven; "Nevermore, nevermore."
Uber_Saber is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2006, 06:12 PM   #11
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingerhs
i have to disagree. its definately not a requirement to have a romance between the PC and another character, but it does add to the roleplaying aspect if you have that option. any relationship can turn romantic in real life if you pursue things from the proper angles, so why shouldn't you be able to do so in an RPG??
For the reasons that I listed above. But hey, as I said before, it's just my opinion.

I do have to question how you consider it an option though. From my perspective that the only "option" was whether or not to carry the side story through to completion. If you chose to do so, then it seems that romance was thrown in your face no matter what (regardless of whether or not you choose to play nice or hard-to-get). *shrugs*

I personally don't picture Obi-Wan, Yoda, or even Darth Vader (not Anakin) trying to get it on with a party member. Going against that in the game seems inconsistent. So at the end of the day, my "option" is to simply ignore the side-stories, and that doesn't seem like "roleplay" to me.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:17 PM   #12
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber_Saber
Yeah, 'cause nothing says "Roleplay" like less options.
See Jae with tears streaming out of her eyes....

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Old 04-05-2006, 06:21 PM   #13
Alkonium

Current Game: Guild Wars 2
Roleplayer Forum Veteran 
Quote:
I personally don't picture Obi-Wan, Yoda, or even Darth Vader (not Anakin) trying to get it on with a party member. Going against that in the game seems inconsistent. So at the end of the day, my "option" is to simply ignore the side-stories, and that doesn't seem like "roleplay" to me.
True, but nowadays, games are designed so you do it the way you want, not just RPGs, but especially RPGs. Sure, you may not want to pull a Bindo, but what if someone else who plays it does?

Alkonium is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2006, 06:24 PM   #14
Jackel

Quote:
Darth Vader (not Anakin) trying to get it on with a party member.
I would hope not! He usually just hang out with Stormtroopers ...
Jackel is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2006, 06:26 PM   #15
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

Quote:
I do have to question how you consider it an option though. From my perspective that the only "option" was whether or not to carry the side story through to completion. If you chose to do so, then it seems that romance was thrown in your face no matter what (regardless of whether or not you choose to play nice or hard-to-get). *shrugs*
i do agree that your options with the romances in both games was much too limited. its nothing that can't be fixed with some good designing, though. and, afterall, i'm not really referring to the other Kotor games.

in Kotor 3, i would like to have several romance options that will allow you to 'go at it' from several different vantage points depending on how aggressive you wish to pursue things. of course, each vantage point would have varying degrees of success and failure, just like real life. to me, it would make it feel more like a true role-playing experience.

and yes, i was just simply stating my opinion as well.

Old 04-05-2006, 06:41 PM   #16
FiEND_138

Votes other.

I don't really care as long as it's not something your forced into with a particular character just to finish their story (hopes he's making sence). Or if it is forced, it's written better than the 12 year old tease/cheese pick up lines from Knights 1. Some of it almost made "are you an angel?" Shakespeare.

Again I hope this makes some sence, too many meds.

FiEND_138 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2006, 09:23 PM   #17
Uber_Saber

Quote:
If you chose to do so, then it seems that romance was thrown in your face no matter what (regardless of whether or not you choose to play nice or hard-to-get). *shrugs*
So part of the problem was implementation then. That does make sense. It makes a bit more sense, perhaps, put in that light, and you do make a good point there. Hopefully, they could do a better job of it in Kotor 3. If they can't, I'd still rather have that in there, or perhaps see it develop between side characters (not neccesarily Jedi) that might both come to the primary character for guidance. That way, it's not actually the Jedi falling in love, but mediating between a spat or two or guiding the characters into a painful sort of relationship. (LS/DS points, anyone?) This might also help deepen the other characters.

In which case it's no longer a Jedi Thing, and no longer Pullin' a Bindo. Unless we could make just one of the two party characters in love a Jedi? Would that count as a Bindo?

Quote:
I personally don't picture Obi-Wan, Yoda, or even Darth Vader (not Anakin) trying to get it on with a party member. Going against that in the game seems inconsistent.
Err, you also don't see Obi-Wan, Yoda and Darth Vader switching on their energy shields or throwing about lightning willy-nilly... oh wait. Okay, bad analogy. So the point is apt. Unfortunately, if we wanted to stay canon, we do have idiots falling in love throughout the whole movies. For the most part, the Jedi order is not represented as always falling in love. Often, the problem is the opposite. In Kotor, it was explainable by the learning/young idiocy of Revan, while in TSL, the Exile was hardly a prime example of Jedihood to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae
See Jae with tears streaming out of her eyes....
No problem. Always happy to help. :P

Old 04-05-2006, 09:28 PM   #18
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png

Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Why not?

"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2006, 10:08 PM   #19
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonium
Sure, you may not want to pull a Bindo, but what if someone else who plays it does?
You point is valid but that does beg the question "what's the point of this thread?". If it's not up for discussion/varying opinions, then the mods should just lock this puppy down

@Stingerhs - I wouldn't mind seeing a more fleshed out romance side-story...with the caveat that my Jedi PC isn't part of it. Maybe play matchmaker for some of your non-jedi party npcs. Call me a stubborn purist

@Uber_Saber - I think we might be on the same page. I don't think we should be to beholden to the movies, although I realize my previous example would seem to imply that I do. My point was only to say that Jedi aren't supposed to have romantic entanglements and if I'm going to roleplay a Jedi, then I would prefer not have my hand forced into a romantic dialog.

Last edited by Achilles; 04-05-2006 at 10:32 PM. Reason: typos
Old 04-05-2006, 10:09 PM   #20
Hallucination
Baron von Sexy

Current Game: HKO closed beta
Yes. It's a part of KOTOR that I (and many other people) want to see again. Especially if it's improved.

Let's kill ourselves.
Hallucination is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2006, 10:20 PM   #21
Jae Onasi

OK, so build some lines into the dialog that say something like "I'm sorry, you're a wonderful person, and in another life you'd be really sexy, but I feel Jedi aren't supposed to form attachments," and have that break the romance. For those of us mushy romance story people, keep the other romance lines. The purists are happy, the love-is-wonderful people are happy, life is good.

Old 04-06-2006, 12:41 AM   #22
RaV™
I Came I Saw I Conquered

Sure why not as long as it isn't mandatory and it doesn't turn out like that San Andreas mod or whatever it was <_<

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/6469/ssigvv2.gif
Changed pic to link. Please find a sig pic that is in line with our sig rules, 500X120 and 80kb max, Forum Rules. ~ SWK Staff
RaV™ is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2006, 01:44 AM   #23
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

NO.

I mean, do we really so many Jedi heros in love? They used to say the the bloody Jedi order condemns love, dammit! Three Jedi (and more) in love are more and enough.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2006, 01:50 AM   #24
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

Quote:
@Stingerhs - I wouldn't mind seeing a more fleshed out romance side-story...with the caveat that my Jedi PC isn't part of it. Maybe play matchmaker for some of your non-jedi party npcs. Call me a stubborn purist
you know, thats actually a really cool idea. i hadn't thought of that one.

Old 04-06-2006, 06:39 AM   #25
Buzz1978
Rookie

Quote:
My point was only to say that Jedi aren't supposed to have romantic entanglements
While this is certainly true for some (extended) time periods, it's not imperative for *every* time period. Luke married Mara Jade and Leia married Han Solo after she learned the ways of the Force. After TSL the Jedi order is destroyed - I'm not saying there are no Jedi left but the order as an institution is destroyed. The teachings and rules of the order to follow in K3 (if there is any order at all) do not necessarily have to be the same as they were before and "were later" prior to the empire.

Still I'm absolutely getting your point. I hope they make it for the girls and us sad boys who want it but make it optional for the rest. And they all lived happily ever after ... until the discussions about K4 began...
Buzz1978 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2006, 07:04 AM   #26
†Saint_Killa†

Romance is good especially when things get poppin' but leave that out of the game because im kinda getting myself too.

"You cannot kill which you did not create."

-Duality
†Saint_Killa† is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2006, 08:53 AM   #27
Uber_Saber

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingerhs
you know, thats actually a really cool idea. i hadn't thought of that one.
Ahem. *points to his own previous post*

Quote:
If they can't, I'd still rather have that in there, or perhaps see it develop between side characters (not neccesarily Jedi) that might both come to the primary character for guidance. That way, it's not actually the Jedi falling in love, but mediating between a spat or two or guiding the characters into a painful sort of relationship. (LS/DS points, anyone?) This might also help deepen the other characters.
Not that I'd be getting a little possesive, of course. *looks shifty* But really, it's a good idea, in that both sides can be served, and it's not quite the typical of a main character falling in love.

Old 04-08-2006, 01:36 AM   #28
Clone L68362
Forumite

And here I am, thinking "pulling a Bindo" meant going into Exile. Let's use that phrase a little less please.

But what Jolee said about love I kinda agree with. So yes, sure, whatever. You could in the first two games, why not this one?

My sig is stupid.
Clone L68362 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2006, 03:15 AM   #29
REDJOHNNYMIKE
Destroyer of Burfday!

Location: Your liver... and a hobgoblin's jugular... simultaneously
RED teh weaponmistress Impaler want Jedi princess NOW!!!!!!!! (note: that princess should actually be an ex bounty hunter)

There really is no sane reason for not including it in the game.
The fact that the oppressive jedi order doesn't want you to do it, doesn't make it wrong ([OT]Parallel thread needed for possibilities of non-order lightside faction in KIII). The masters are just jealous that their padawans actually have some mojo left, have you seen the masters???? well, I guess you could make a small argument for Atris, but she is the ice queen.

So to surmise, and attempt to say something sensible...
I DID IT ALL FOR THE WOOKIE!!!
THE WOOKIE!!!

The Binary Theory of Life: Inside the box = bad... Outside the box = good...
Sanity is the highest form of oppression.
REDJOHNNYMIKE is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2006, 08:46 PM   #30
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes

Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
I see no reason why not. Romance is a good feature in most RPGs, and can add to the story, although I think it should be optional. KotOR would be a worse game (IMHO) if there were no romance options in it. And if you don't want romance in KotOR III, no one is forcing you to play through that part of the game. Why try to impose your views on other people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2006, 09:57 PM   #31
shinyjedi
Rookie

I think that the number one thing we learn from both KOTOR episodes is that detachment breeds contempt and arrogance. (as a side note, I've already voiced the opinion that if Luke had had Jolee with him instead of Ben Kenobi, the Empire would have been crushed in a movie-and-a-half, tops!)
Look at what went on because the Jedi were "detached"

1. The Mandalorians were (some say) manipulated into slaughtering countless millions while the order contemplated all the possible outcomes before moving (always assuming they'd ever have moved). Kriea evidences some of this over-cogitation when she goes on about how every action could have an equally bad reaction. Paradoxically, she later chastises you for inaction, but oh well....

2. When the younger Jedi realized what was what and moved unilaterally, saving the Republic, the leaders of the order chastised them and later blamed them for the civil war, as though the one caused the other. Although I have my own personal thoughts on what caused the fall of Reven's bunch, it can be claimed with some reasonable thought that the real cause of the civil war was the inaction of the council and their failure to support those who'd gone to fight. While they sat back in the academies feeling smug and righteous about their detachment, a fraction of the strength the jedi should have leant the Republic struggled to defeat a determined enemy. Isn't it at least as likely that, had the council acted sooner, or thrown its full weight into the fray (or both) the final solution at Malachor might well not have been necessary? Reason further suggests that, had wiser and more experienced heads been present, the fall of Reven et al could well have been avoided.

3. The Jedi order, even unto its end at the hand of one of the fallen, still did not understand what the hell was going on. They were so detached that they'd fallen to the level of irrelevance of modern scholarly academics (read professors) cloistered in college campii with only theoretical knowledge of the world they were trying to describe. A fault made so much more dangerous since they proceeded as though such theoretical knowledge were empirical fact.

4. One of the more solid pieces of advice that Kriea gives the exile pops to mind and sums up the whole question of detachment. She warns (as did Jolee, sort of, as well as my dear, sainted granny, as I recall) that avoiding temptation doesn't make you stronger. She's absolutely correct, in this, at least. Yes, Jedi fall, yes, love is a strong emotion. But is hiding from it any better? Dealing with emotion is the only way to get control of it. Without the inner strength built by struggle and loss, the first time something like love hits you between the eyes when you aren't looking (picture THAT paradox in your head ) you're damn' skippy going to be likely to fall to it.

Isn't counseling you through such pitfalls in life what your elders are for? Normally, it's the family who helps you through such tough times, but the Jedi (in common with what other form of governance?) yoinks you from that support group. What's the point of amassing large amounts of wisdom and then positioning yourself in an academy if you aren't going to share the benefits of that wisdom?

Young padawan had a rough go with a lover? Don't just stand back smugly shaking your head and watch his face go all splotchy and his robe turn black... seek him out, buy him a beer (or Tarisian ale) throw your arm around his shoulder and apply some of that there force persuade to get him through it until he can think straight again. It's your job, Grandpa!

What I'm trying to get to here is that the jedi order failed BECAUSE they frowned on such things as younglings "pulling a Bindo". But they're gone, and the order is left to be rebuilt from nothing. And rebuilt by who? An exile who loved (or could have, depending on how you played it). Brianna, who loved . Visas, who loved . Reven (if he/she survived and if she/he came back from the outer reaches) who loved . It seems entirely reasonable, if not probable that "pulling a Bindo" would not be the onus under the new order that it had been under the old order. Wouldn't surprise me if "Jolee's blessings on you both!" became an encouragement to moony-eyed youngsters by perceptive elders who caught them at it.

And, yeah, I realize that the Movies were once again firmly in thrall to the whole "jedi must remain detached" mythos. Well, you see what happened to them, dontcha? And who rebuilt this next time? Luke, who loved . Leia, who loved . See a cycle yet? Who knows, maybe it takes around 4000 years to forget the hard-learned lessons and repeat the fall. Maybe its on a cycle. Has anybody but Atris even READ those holocrons lately?

Last edited by shinyjedi; 04-10-2006 at 10:06 PM. Reason: spelling
shinyjedi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2006, 02:00 PM   #32
XI33
Rookie

Wow, these jedi dont take their vow of selevencie very seriously.

Obi Wan- Anakin, the sith are evil!!!

Ankain- In my opinion the jedi are evil!!!

XI33- In my opinion you should be having a lightsaber fight not disscussing moral relativism.

EpI,II and III
EpIV,V and VI

Last edited by XI33; 04-14-2006 at 02:36 PM.
XI33 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2006, 07:36 PM   #33
shinyjedi
Rookie

If you mean celibacy, this is the first I've ever heard of such a vow among jedi.
shinyjedi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2006, 02:15 PM   #34
Henz

Should deffo be an option. I also like the idea of playing match maker between other party members too. As long as it isn't over used like turning people into jedi in the last game.

Henz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2006, 08:03 PM   #35
Non-false Jedi
Rookie

I didn't have any idea what "pulling a Bindo" meant at first. I thought perhaps it meant "not appearing in the game", but that made no sense.

The Old Jedi Order actually didn't have a problem with love. Jolee had a wife who was also a Jedi. And he brought up Nomi Sunrider. And Ulic was her lover.

In kotor the jedi order was altered probably in order to make it closer to the prequal movies, or in universe you could probably say that after the Great Sith War they decided to make a decision on the subject. But prior to the game the Old Jedi had did not comdemn relationships. Nor did they have many of the restrictions that were present in the Prequal movie Jedi.

I guess the few remaining Jedi who will reform the order will probably revert to the old ways until the Battle of Ruusan
Non-false Jedi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2006, 10:24 PM   #36
†Saint_Killa†

I thought the sith's passion for gaining power was pulling a bindo but I found out was anger, hate, etc.

Hmmmmmm....... Sith pumping their s*** out for more fighting prowess. AWESOME!!!!

"You cannot kill which you did not create."

-Duality
†Saint_Killa† is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > The Unknown Regions > Pulling a Bindo.