lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: Would you call the Exile a Jedi since he has to learn to use the force all over
Yes, Jedi once you know how to use it you never forget 51 66.23%
No, having to learn all over means you have lost the Title Jedi 30 38.96%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: To Jedi, or not to Jedi.... that is the Question
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 12-23-2005, 11:22 AM   #41
ilwugoalie
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aayla Secura
Think of it this way: You're a CPA. You just got your license about a year ago. You quit your job (any reason) and decide to look for a new one. While you have no job, you are still a CPA.
you seem to be either not understanding what i'm writing or just not reading it.... I have said banned, and exiled. those two words, emphasis on BANNED, mean that you have been kicked out.

and I tend to look at the Jedi order in the same light as the Marine Corps. Once a Marine always a Marine. but if you walk away/quit or a kicked out. you are no longer a Maine.

same thing here, he/she was no longer a Jedi... just a force user.... not even that since the connnection to the force was lost

A Powerfull Sith you will become
ilwugoalie is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-23-2005, 11:56 AM   #42
Aayla Secura
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilwugoalie
you seem to be either not understanding what i'm writing or just not reading it.... I have said banned, and exiled. those two words, emphasis on BANNED, mean that you have been kicked out.

and I tend to look at the Jedi order in the same light as the Marine Corps. Once a Marine always a Marine. but if you walk away/quit or get kicked out, you are no longer a Marine.

same thing here, he/she was no longer a Jedi... just a force user.... not even that since the connnection to the force was lost
Good point... I'll have to study before I can get a good comback...

Click on the pic! I dare you!

The Shikon Jewel
Aayla Secura is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-25-2005, 01:11 PM   #43
Darth Smaug
Veteran

If the council put's you in exile you'll lose the rank of jedi but you'll never forget how to wield a lightsaber properly.
Force powers are not easy to learn and if you forget them i think it's hard to get back at them.

But i picked the first choice on the poll..

I'm floating, and something's reaching out.
Darth Smaug is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-27-2005, 05:15 PM   #44
Rok_stoned

Current Game: Life.
the jedi order is a religion, and not being part of the religion but using the force is like the difference between satanism and christianity (alot like jedi and sith).

so I would believe the exile is not a jedi.

Rok_stoned is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-27-2005, 06:19 PM   #45
Darth Smaug
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rok_stoned
the jedi order is a religion, and not being part of the religion but using the force is like the difference between satanism and christianity (alot like jedi and sith).

so I would believe the exile is not a jedi.
Religion?
The jedi believe and trust in the force.
There is no such of "god" for them there is only the force.
I think it's not a religion.

Old 12-28-2005, 12:51 AM   #46
Rok_stoned

^ Budhism is a religion wheres their god? Rastafarianism is a religion wheres there god? A religion doesn't need a god, a religion is a way of life, a belief. And plus in several movies and books the jedi was refered to as none other than a religion

You my friend are all thats left of their religion-Tarkin Episode IV

...jedi adhere to their none theisical religious dogma no matter what-jangotat some clone wars novel.

Old 12-28-2005, 04:35 AM   #47
Master_ Tyvokka
Rookie

I voted yes because the exile got exiled for jedi masters not knowing enough about what happened to him. Just because you cut yourself off from the force dosn't mean a jedi master should just exile him. Plus the Jedi Masters admitted that they should of told you why they exile you and some of them thought that they did the wrong thing in doing so. So due to the in confidence and inexperience of the jedi masters who exiled him i believe that they had no right to cast him out just cause he cut him self off from the force.

He may have gone to war but that means nothing because if you ask me the jedi were ignorant to not go to war during the mandilorian war. So really i see no reason why he is not a jedi. He used the force for what was right and good. He needed no redemption because what he did saved him and the Republic from falling. For if those jedi did not go to the war there would be no Republic or Jedi Order. So really I believe they should be commended for what they did by the jedi order. There just wasn't any good reason for the exile to be cast out. So really he should still be a jedi.
Master_ Tyvokka is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-28-2005, 07:19 AM   #48
Darth Smaug
Veteran

Quote:
^ Budhism is a religion wheres their god? Rastafarianism is a religion wheres there god?
Budhism? I think buddha and sjeiva are gods ..
But i don't know hell about Rastafarianism.

Old 12-28-2005, 02:08 PM   #49
Rok_stoned

The budha is an enlightned person and ANYONE can become a budha if they acheive enlightment Not divinity.

come now, you should learned that in school.

Old 12-28-2005, 11:38 PM   #50
RobQel-Droma
Blah

Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rok-stoned
Budhism is a religion wheres their god? Rastafarianism is a religion wheres there god? A religion doesn't need a god, a religion is a way of life, a belief. And plus in several movies and books the jedi was refered to as none other than a religion
A religion has to have a divine entity that is worshipped in some way or another, otherwise it isn't a religion. The Force is not a "God" that is worshipped by the Jedi, it is just a powerful energy field that the Jedi call upon to protect the galaxy. You should have learned that from Yoda.

Quote:
You my friend are all thats left of their religion-Tarkin Episode IV
Was Tarkin a Jedi/Sith? No, he wasn't, and all he really knew about the Force was that it was handy for choking people. He didn't really understand the Force at all. If you notice Rok_stoned, the Jedi Order is only referred to as a religion by non force-sensitive sentients that didn't know about the Force. It wasn't called that by Jedi, or Sith, who actually use it.
RobQel-Droma is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-29-2005, 09:27 AM   #51
Darth Smaug
Veteran

Quote:
The budha is an enlightned person and ANYONE can become a budha if they acheive enlightment Not divinity.

come now, you should learned that in school.
Now what about sjieva?
And i'll have to tell you that i rarely pay attention on school

Old 12-29-2005, 10:32 AM   #52
Addlcove
Rookie

okay my input wether you'd like it or not

I do not think the exile is a Jedi at the start of the game, because

he has no forcepowers and he is not recognized by the authorities (the council) as one.

let me give you an example.

KoToR 1: is Jolee Bindo a Jedi? he uses the force, wields a lightsaber, but never rose above the rank of padawan.

what you need to remember is that Jedi does not equal "force user that uses powers for good" but "force user that has been trained and accepted by the Jedi Council"

The exile is, all the way through STL, in my opinion, like Jolee Bindo, he's a "neutral" not between the dark side and the light side, but between the institutions of the Jedi and the Sith.
Addlcove is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-29-2005, 01:18 PM   #53
Rok_stoned

^^yep thats right on

Old 12-29-2005, 09:13 PM   #54
RobQel-Droma
Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addlcove
he has no forcepowers and he is not recognized by the authorities (the council) as one.
For one, you are not determined by what different force powers you have, it has nothing to do with that. Just because you don't have any force "powers" does not mean that you actually have the force. It is based on whether you are "force-sensitive", or can feel the force. The Jedi don't base it on what "set" of powers you can currently use.

As for the council, I don't really remember any spot where they tell you you aren't a Jedi anymore, although I may just not remember a specific spot. If the council actually did say that, look at it this way. If a Mandalorian was exiled from a clan, or just left like Jolee, is he still a Mandalorian? Yes, he is. In fact, many of these mercs and bounty hunters are still called "Mandalorians", and even though they aren't in their clan, it doesn't mean that they lost their title of Mandalorian. Maybe technically it was removed, but they are still a Mandalorian in training and mind.

If you remember Sion, he tells Kreia that "they [the Jedi] are all dead, save one." As far as I know, he was talking about the PC, wasn't he?
Old 12-29-2005, 09:25 PM   #55
JediKnight707
Or I will choke you...

He's a Jedi 'cause I say so

JediKnight707 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-29-2005, 10:20 PM   #56
RobQel-Droma
Blah

Jedi_Knight_707, I couldn't have said it any better! You must have been inspired or something- that pretty much wins it.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:56 PM   #57
JediMaster12
Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

Current Game: Assassin's Creed
LFN Staff Member Veteran Fan Fic Author Contest winner - Fan Fiction Forum Veteran 
Yeah, it's sweet and straight to the point. Maybe for icing we should ask Lucas what makes a Jedi.

JediMaster12 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-30-2006, 09:42 PM   #58
Rok_stoned

Quote:
Now what about sjieva?
And i'll have to tell you that i rarely pay attention on school
Awesome comeback. Who really does pay attention in school.

Anyways I'm Afraid I don't know what "Sjieva" (you just may have trumped me...) I can't find it in an search engine unless its how you spell sheva.

Old 01-31-2006, 01:31 AM   #59
RobQel-Droma
Blah

Quote:
The exile is, all the way through STL, in my opinion, like Jolee Bindo, he's a "neutral" not between the dark side and the light side, but between the institutions of the Jedi and the Sith.
I don't get it, is there a "KOTOR: Sith The Lords"? As for your other assertion, I disagree, since the Exile was whatever character you wanted him to be, you were him.

Quote:
KoToR 1: is Jolee Bindo a Jedi? he uses the force, wields a lightsaber, but never rose above the rank of padawan.
Doesn't matter. He is still a Jedi.

Quote:
what you need to remember is that Jedi does not equal "force user that uses powers for good" but "force user that has been trained and accepted by the Jedi Council"
What you need to remember is that we do not have a definition of Jedi. The Jedi Council might consider this to be true, but in a realistic sense, a Jedi is basically someone who uses his powers for good. So couldn't you turn that around and say that someone who uses his powers for good is a Jedi?
Old 01-31-2006, 11:58 AM   #60
Darth Smaug
Veteran

Quote:
Awesome comeback. Who really does pay attention in school.

Anyways I'm Afraid I don't know what "Sjieva" (you just may have trumped me...) I can't find it in an search engine unless its how you spell sheva.
I don't know how to spell it, it's some god with several arms.

Old 01-31-2006, 02:30 PM   #61
JediMaster12
Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

LFN Staff Member Veteran Fan Fic Author Contest winner - Fan Fiction Forum Veteran 
Are you referring to the Hindu god Shiva? It is pronounced "shiva" with a very soft "h". There are actually three Hindu gods that are of importance are Brahma (creator0, Vishnu (preserver) and Shiva (destroyer). All of the Hindu gods have many arms; some sort of philosophy behind it. If I remember correctly, the whole idea of the Force and the Jedi was taken from various religions but all constituting towards the Jedi as we see them in the films and EU. It was in a documentary something like that.
As for being a Jedi, the Exile was called one by the Sith. Exiles and Grey Jedi are distinguished by the Jedi but to the Sith, they are not. They lump them all together as Jedi.

Old 01-31-2006, 02:50 PM   #62
RobQel-Droma
Blah

^They do lump them together, but - Doesn't that mean that they are all basically Jedi in one way or another?
Old 02-01-2006, 01:01 PM   #63
JediMaster12
Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

You have a point there. In fact Jolee himself said that he follows the Jedi way and commands the Force but he said the Jedi left him. On the other hand you got Kreia telling the Exile "Your stance, your walk tells me you are a Jedi." So what does it really boil down to, being part of the Order makes you a Jedi and exiled means you are not? Even Atton referred to the Exile as a Jedi no matter how many times you select the option stating that you are not. So what makes a one a Jedi and what makes one not a Jedi?

Old 02-03-2006, 09:00 PM   #64
Steve-O Kreesh
Rookie

Current Game: G.H. - Metallica
IMO, the exile was a Jedi. A Exiled Jedi. He swore an oath to the Jedi order and followed the code as best he could. Yes, he disobeyed the council by going to fight the Mandalorians, but he left to protect the helpless and the innocent. Isn't that what a Jedi is supposed to do? He returned to face judgement from the council and was exiled. Did he cease to act like a Jedi? No. As a Jedi, you sware to the Order, not to a "Council". The council is just the governing body within the Order, not the Order itself. The Exile was and always be a Jedi in my eyes.

Steve-O Kreesh is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-03-2006, 09:09 PM   #65
JediMaster12
Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

I see. I also thought it was very crummy how they summoned the Exile and told him that he was exiled. No listening to evidence nothing. You are right in that he followed the Jedi way even Jolee himself said he followed the Jedi way but he also said he was no Jedi and that the Jedi left him.

Old 02-03-2006, 09:44 PM   #66
Spartanghost220
Rookie

what if you could feel the force does that make you a jedi or do you have to train to be a jedi it depneds on the def. of a jedi
Spartanghost220 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-03-2006, 11:31 PM   #67
Master Kavar

I've thought about this very question, and the answer I came to is that no matter what alignment the Exile decides to take, he/she still begins as a Jedi. Like Bao-Dur says, being a Jedi is something you can't really choose, it's part of who you are.

You may no longer be part of the Jedi Order, but you don't simply stop being a Jedi, no more so than Jolee or Kreia. Even Kreia says as much to a dark side Exile, that even though you are willing to break your ties to the order, you are still fundamentally the Jedi you once were.
Master Kavar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-04-2006, 01:01 AM   #68
JediMaster12
Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

Yes and she says when she first meet the exile, "Your stance, your walk tells me you are a Jedi." I guess that once a Jedi always a Jedi; once you are opened to the great mysteries, you are always open.

Old 04-24-2006, 08:38 PM   #69
BobaFettFan
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMaster12
Yes and she says when she first meet the exile, "Your stance, your walk tells me you are a Jedi." I guess that once a Jedi always a Jedi; once you are opened to the great mysteries, you are always open.
Funny, I was going to use the same sort of thinking to say that he wasn't a Jedi; he just doesn't act like one. To me, Jedi are the guys who go around righting wrongs with their lightsabers, lifting shiznit up with the Force, and using mind tricks to get security to let them pass. The exile does none of these things at the start.
BobaFettFan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-24-2006, 09:21 PM   #70
JediMaster12
Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

The Jedi use their powers to benefit others; they are selfless. The Exile, if you go the LS, is the same way. The Exile knew of the great mysteries and could chose to walk that same path if he chose to. It all came down to choice.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > The Unknown Regions > To Jedi, or not to Jedi.... that is the Question