lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Resurrections
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 08-20-2006, 02:39 AM   #1
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes

Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Resurrections

Of late, I've noticed that some threads have been resurrected after several months or years of no posts. I looked at the new forum rules forums again, and noticed that there was nothing there about bringing back old threads. Although bumping is covered, there's nothing on the specific subject of resurrecting threads after they've not had any posts in a while. I think it should be mentioned that you shouldn't bring back long-dead threads if you don't have something important to mention about the topic.
Emperor Devon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-20-2006, 11:17 AM   #2
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

It only helps when people actually read the damn rules hehehe..

However there are a few Forums in which the "No Bump" or "No Ressurection" doesn't apply..

Mainly,

- the Taris City Upper Emporium, since it's for feedback on mods, and can point out possible bugs... and the fact that new mods are constantly being added, it's best to keep a no restrictions on this area. Besides, old mod or not, feedback is always a good thing

- The same goes for T3-M4's Astromech Droid Center...

However, for the most part, I agree with you Emperor Devon

We had hoped that common sense would tell a person that no replies in over a year pretty much means the topic is dead.. but, ya' gotta lurve the intardnet
Also, in some rare cases.. the poster totally overlooked the last post date (or didn't bother checking it in the first place).. yah, to not cast blame.. I've been guilty of that one myself

Luckily we have that nice "edit this" function .. hehehe..

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-20-2006, 11:41 AM   #3
Darth333
Administraterror

As ChAiNz said, there may be various reasons to post in an old thread and some posts can sometimes add something useful and revive a good discussion. A few other examples would be reviving an old tech help thread when the poster experiences issues similar to what has already been posted or posting in an old modding thread that discusses a specific issue (we aren't going to blame people for using the search function in such cases!). Sometimes a post can add something useful to an old but interesting general topic and revive a good discussion.

However, things like reviving old threads just for the sake of annoyance or posting one liners like "omg yeah me 2!" at the end of a 2yr old thread falls within the trolling/spamming category. It's a case by case situation and we already have rules to cover the unwanted situations.
Darth333 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-20-2006, 02:02 PM   #4
Diego Varen
Left and may not return

Hey ED, some of your topics have been ressurected and they are all by ViperSkeele. Strange?
Diego Varen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-20-2006, 03:25 PM   #5
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth333
Sometimes a post can add something useful to an old but interesting general topic and revive a good discussion.
I realize that. I just said that threads shouldn't be resurrected if there's nothing that's important to the disucussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth333
However, things like reviving old threads just for the sake of annoyance or posting one liners like "omg yeah me 2!" at the end of a 2yr old thread falls within the trolling/spamming category.
I agree. But many of the recently resurrected threads I've seen technically aren't spam, though. One thread in the Padawan's Lounge was brought back when someone mentioned a tip on something, though it was the same as a tip someone else had mentioned and was stated in a different manner. One thread of mine in the Workbench was brought back when someone had some pointers to share, except the situation had been resolved months ago.

@Pottsie, I think it's just a coincidence.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:38 PM   #6
igyman
Tension!

Current Game: Diablo III RoS (PC)
Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Hmmm, there's a problem I've been meaning to mention somewhere and this seems like a thread it would fit in.

Namely, about two, two and a half months ago I took a look at the sort of resurrected thread in the Telos Tourist Bureau called ''Are Arren Kae and Kreia the same person?'', I noticed that the people who revived the discussion were simply repeating word-by-word the already stated and repeated arguments. As a friendly and considerate six months old forumite (at that time, now it's almost nine months) I tried to get them to post some new reasons for their opinions (those were mostly new members so I was doing my best to be extra nice and friendly ), they didn't quite listen to me, so since I don't actually have any authority over them I dropped it.

The point of me telling this is the following question: Do you consider that sort of thread revival unjustified? (I'm asking because I don't remember any warnings from the mods in the case I mentioned)

igyman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-22-2006, 01:28 AM   #7
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Current Game: DDO, Stormreach
Everyone, if you see a questionable post, like one ressurecting the thread like igy states above that the new posts are word-for-word copies of an earlier post simply use the 'Report a post' feature on the ressurection post and state the post number that they are copying in that thread and we will definitely handle it. That type of post counts as simple spam.

"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
RedHawke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-22-2006, 11:00 AM   #8
igyman
Tension!

Thanks, RH, I suspected as much. One last thing, I must be blind or something, but I just can't find the ''report post'' option anywhere.

Old 08-22-2006, 11:03 AM   #9
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by igyman
Thanks, RH, I suspected as much. One last thing, I must be blind or something, but I just can't find the ''report post'' option anywhere.
It's right below the avatar/info.. you should see 2 dots...

The 2nd "dot" is the report bad post

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-22-2006, 11:58 AM   #10
igyman
Tension!

So it is. I never bothered to figure that out. Thanks.

Old 08-22-2006, 09:17 PM   #11
RC-1162
Liquidious Fleshbag

Current Game: SW:TOR
Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction Helpful! 
@ ChAiNz: i think bumping should be conditionally allowed in the CEC too, don't you? what i mean is, the poster should be giving only reviews/suggestions/tips on the fic that he/she "bumped". if it's spam, then i guess you have it covered

Duct Tape is ALWAYS the answer
RC-1162 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-22-2006, 09:25 PM   #12
Darth333
Administraterror

We don't have any problems with feedback posts, whether it is for mods, fanfics or fanart! Feedback definitely doesn't fall within the spam category.
Darth333 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-23-2006, 12:43 AM   #13
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes

This is a bit off topic, but it would be appreciated if someone could tell me what these 'referrals' are.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:06 AM   #14
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Current Game: DDO, Stormreach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon
This is a bit off topic, but it would be appreciated if someone could tell me what these 'referrals' are.
That info is in the FAQ...

Specifically here.

"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
RedHawke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-23-2006, 01:24 AM   #15
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes

Ah, that explains it. Thanks for the link.

-RH

Last edited by RedHawke; 08-23-2006 at 02:15 AM.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:05 AM   #16
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Current Game: SWTOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon
As far as referrals are concerned is that why some folks, like Achilles have a + next to their name when listed as an active browser?

As far as rezzing threads go, I know you all fear the day when my old W.I.P. thread rises from the ashes like a phoenix who has suffered five too many cardiac arrests...

edit: response to below: oooohhhh, thank you

"Women are like sunsets… they’re beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder

Last edited by Mav; 08-25-2006 at 02:12 AM.
Mav is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-25-2006, 12:29 AM   #17
The Doctor
Retired

Current Game: Skyrim
Forum Veteran 
No, users have a + sign next to their names on the active users bar when they're on your friends list.
The Doctor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-25-2006, 08:17 PM   #18
HerbieZ
Mythical Beast

I strongly disagree to the strictness of bringing back threads. There is a VERY fine line between repeateing an old topic and bringing up a dead one. It wis one that leaneancy should be applied, i do a search to see if the topic has been mentioned before and if it has, i post in it. It's common sence, it's HERBIE SENSE.

Waking up.
HerbieZ is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Starwarsknights.com > Feedback > Resurrections