lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: New to mapping
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 09-11-2006, 06:29 PM   #1
jedispy

Current Game: Metroid Prime 2
New to mapping

Hiya folks! I'm new to mapping in Radiant and I was wondering if there are any good tutorials on making your own custom textures. The last thing I want to do is steal copywritten textures from other games.

Jedispy - SOTE Mod Administrator, server/technical administrator, mod author, forum admin/moderator, web administrator, programmer.
Click to read the latest SOTE MOD news
jedispy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-11-2006, 09:28 PM   #2
CalcProgrammer1
Rookie

Making textures isn't hard, what u do is make jpeg or tga file with:

1) Size of Power of 2: both sides must be one of these:
2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096, etc
The sides don't both have to be the same, however, like 128x256 will work

2) Put this in base/textures/<mapname>/ where <mapname> is the name of your map. Save it (remember, JPEG or TGA only) then in Radiant do flush and reload shaders, and then select your <mapname> from the list.

Select brush (SHIFT CLICK) or a brush face (CTRL SHIFT CLICK) and then press T to open Textures, and click the texture you want to apply. You can also hit S to adjust how the texture is fit onto the brush, and the little lock button on the toolbar locks the texture to the brush so it won't move when the brush is moved or rotated by 90 degree increments.
CalcProgrammer1 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-11-2006, 10:11 PM   #3
jedispy

How about tutorials on making textures from scratch? I figure there's stuff on adobe photoshop out there, but any specifically for making game textures? I'm looking to experiment around.

Jedispy - SOTE Mod Administrator, server/technical administrator, mod author, forum admin/moderator, web administrator, programmer.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:41 PM   #4
CalcProgrammer1
Rookie

well, so far I've used MS Paint, ArcSoft PhotoStudio, and IrfanView to create my textures, I've never used Photoshop but I found out that using filmgrain effects can make nice concrete, playing with the sharpness and amount of grain, noise, and other filters can produce anything from hard concrete to soft carpet, then color can be added using hue/saturation settings. If you use film grain or sharpness settings you might have to convert to grayscale and then color your image. I use my digital camera to take pictures of walls and floors and then crop out a portion to tile, and you can use clone tool to fix up the edges.
CalcProgrammer1 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-20-2006, 12:32 AM   #5
jedispy

Using GTK Radiant 1.4.0

Problem: I am unable to edit the worldspawn entity in the entity menu. I am hitting ESC to deselect all entity brushes. Then I hit N to get into the entity menu. Once there I scroll to the worldspawn entity. However in the text box I can't change anything. Is there something else that I'm supposed to do?

EDIT: nevermind. I figured it out. The tutorial I was using wasn't very clear on how to enter the data. It's hard to explain what I was doing wrong. Long story short, it was just the wrong thing.

Last edited by jedispy; 09-20-2006 at 01:17 AM.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Editing Central > JA Mapping > New to mapping