lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: String Theory or Quantum Gravity? Which one accurately explain our universe.
String Theory: strings are my thing for a musical universe with the notes of mathematics 1 33.33%
Quantum Gravity: I prefer quantization in the universe that is in small pieces 0 0%
I don't know: both may be right 2 66.67%
I don't care: It doesn't affect my life 0 0%
Neither 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: String Theory or Quantum Gravity?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 09-29-2006, 05:00 PM   #1
Windu Chi
Banned

Smile String Theory or Quantum Gravity?

Who believe which theory explains our universe, if it is close or open?

I don't know which one it is but the physics for both theories is very fascinating.

I do believe if the fabric of spacetime is compose of vibrating strands of energy,
the Theoretical physictists
maybe wasting their time, because strings are so small that some expermental physics believe it will never be tested in the lab, in this universe anyway.
So it will be a theory of Philosophy not physics, no matter how beautiful the mathematics is.

Quantum Gravity is interesting theory, but I am not sure about this one.

String Theory:is a model of fundamental physics whose building blocks are one-dimensional extended objects (strings) rather than the zero-dimensional points (particles) that are the basis of the Standard Model of particle physics.

http://lanl.arxiv.org/pdf/hep-th/9212006
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/String_Theory

Quantum Gravity:is the field of theoretical physics attempting to unify quantum mechanics, which describes three of the fundamental forces of nature, with general relativity, the theory of the fourth fundamental force: gravity. The ultimate goal of some is a unified framework for all fundamental forces—a "theory of everything".
Also, it is a quantum theory of gravity in which the very space that all other physics occurs in is quantized.
Spacetime is of discrete composition on Planck scales.
Or time and space comes in pieces.

Lecture notes on loop quantum gravity
Quantum gravity

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_gravity

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loop_quantum_gravity

For those of you who are technical or study math an physics I have posted the links of lecture notes about the two theories if you are interested, of course.

Last edited by windu6; 09-30-2006 at 04:40 PM.
Windu Chi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-30-2006, 02:43 PM   #2
Davinq
I wear a fez now

Current Game: Portal
Needs a poll option for 'neither.'

Davinq is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-01-2006, 05:57 AM   #3
Mace MacLeod
Food-based rocker

Current Game: World of Warcraft
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Needs a poll option for: "Uhhhhhhh???"

Be considerate to others or I will bite your torso and give you a disease!
Mace MacLeod is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-01-2006, 12:32 PM   #4
Dagobahn Eagle
First Strike Tester

Current Game: First Strike
I second that.

Dagobahn Eagle is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-14-2006, 07:59 PM   #5
The Source
Rest In Peace

Contest winner - Modding 
I believe that Quantum Mechanics and Quantum Field Theory are pretty close to where things should be. I was just writting a dictation on Quantum Mechanics for a class. The String Theory is pretty new to the Physics field. I think it needs to be challanged more, so we can get a better understnding of the theory.

All I know is that the String Theory is still in its infant stage. I would wait about ten more years, so people can get a better grasp. To the normal person, they will get confussed about this topic. I know what you are talking about, so I can drag a conversation on for hours. I am interested in the mathematics, and how they arrives at multi-dimentional slices, and their interaction and impact on gravity.

It will be interesting to see where this String Theory goes.

-------

ADD EDIT:::

Studying life at a subatomic level is interesting. I think Quantum Mechanics will bring a higher understanding to other avenues, which people haven't thought about yet.

Temporal Mechanics is also an interesting topic, which String Theory could give more interesting answer to. Since the Temporal Mechanics works on a subatomic level, I think it will benifit from our testing of the String Theory.

Think about what Albert E. would be saying if he hear this new idea. Loll...

R.I.P. to 'The Source' and 'MacCorp'
2004-2008
The Source is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-14-2006, 10:47 PM   #6
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Well since light behaves in ways consistent with quantum mechanics, I'm on the quantum side of things.

Practically speaking, we probably don't really know enough yet to make any kind of final decision.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Community > Senate Chambers > String Theory or Quantum Gravity?