lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Some questions about video cards (not a prob)
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 11-03-2006, 03:33 PM   #1
gandiva
Rookie

Some questions about video cards (not a prob)

Hey,

I'm planning to buy a new video card for my computer and I was wondering if it matters what kind of card (PCI or AGP) I buy. Can you use either of them? Is my computer only compatible with one of them?

Thanks

Please visit Ninjai.com! It's an amazing Flash Animation Story about a little Ninja!

www.ninjai.com
gandiva is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-03-2006, 04:02 PM   #2
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

Without knowing what kind of motherboard you have, it's hard to say..

Most motherboards a few years old will have an AGP port (which is better than PCI).. however, if you can.. getting a PCI-E card is even better..

Yeah, all these PCI's flying everywhere Just make sure to get the one with the "E" at the end (if your system allows it)...

Can you post your system... or at least the mobo you have? We might be able to better answer your question

ALSO, we have a new forum just for stuff like this Might want to try your question there (or let us know and we can transfer it over there)..

http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=691

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-03-2006, 04:11 PM   #3
gandiva
Rookie

Well, the most I can say is that the computer I'm buying is this one:

HP Pavilion Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 2.13GHz Media Center TV Computer (M7680N)

Site for specs:

http://dpreview-cnet.com.com/HP_Pavi...&tag=nav.specs

Thanks, I hope this helps.

ALSO, the video card I'm planning to buy is this:

ATI Radeon X1600 Pro AGP 512MB Video Card

Please visit Ninjai.com! It's an amazing Flash Animation Story about a little Ninja!

www.ninjai.com
Old 11-03-2006, 04:18 PM   #4
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

Hey gandiva I went ahead and moved the thread here to our Tech Discussion Forum. We got lot's of people in here just itching for questions like this

I left a re-direct in Ahto so ppl can find it

Old 11-03-2006, 04:26 PM   #5
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

Current Game: Dead Space
Forum Veteran Roleplayer LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
actually, you can't use the card your planning on buying with that computer. that computer uses a PCI-E(xpress) interface and not the AGP interface that card is designed for.

if you're looking for a very similar card for about the same price, this card will fit the bill plus offer better performance over the one you've been looking at.

See the struggle of the faithless lot as they negate their time
How low to sink to the depths of their frame of mind

stingerhs is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-03-2006, 04:39 PM   #6
gandiva
Rookie

I see. Thanks.

I heard that AGP is better than PCI. I want my computer to be good and for a reasonable price. So, should I be looking for another computer with an AGP interface instead? I need a computer that can handle video-editing, pc gaming (meaning I can use anti alias, etc, without lag problems), and can do great with photoshop editing and Flash.

I'm also wondering what LCD monitor can handle these well.

Thanks for the recommendation Stingerhs!

www.ninjai.com
Old 11-03-2006, 04:42 PM   #7
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandiva
I see. Thanks.

I heard that AGP is better than PCI. I want my computer to be good and for a reasonable price. So, should I be looking for another computer with an AGP interface instead? I need a computer that can handle video-editing, pc gaming (meaning I can use anti alias, etc, without lag problems), and can do great with photoshop editing and Flash.

I'm also wondering what LCD monitor can handle these well.

Thanks for the recommendation Stingerhs!
No no no! hehehe..

The system you have (or getting) already has the top-notch vid card slot stingerhs recommended the best card for that system, to take advantage of the high speed graphics slot

Old 11-03-2006, 04:56 PM   #8
gandiva
Rookie

So... you're saying that computer is good and the video card that was recommended is good.

COOL! Then now I just need to find out what monitor suits that combination best!

www.ninjai.com
Old 11-03-2006, 06:38 PM   #9
tk102
Well past expiration date

Current Game: Dragon Age: Origins
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
stingerhs where were you a month ago. The x1600 Pro 512Mb card is the one I purchased. I didn't even see the x1650 at that time. Oh well. More room to upgrade later I guess. (Is that a silver lining or what?) But gandiva, FWIW, the x1600 Pro 512Mb is running Oblivion very smoothly with HDR and x2 AA turned on. So you'll be better than that.

Edit: ooh there's a silent version of the x1600 Pro click which would've also been nice, since it's the loudest thing in my Antec case. Oh well.

Last edited by tk102; 11-03-2006 at 06:51 PM.
tk102 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-03-2006, 08:15 PM   #10
Darth333
Administraterror

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk102
stingerhs where were you a month ago. The x1600 Pro 512Mb card is the one I purchased. I didn't even see the x1650 at that time.
I don't know where stingerhs was but I think that the x1650 wasn't out at that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandiva
I heard that AGP is better than PCI.
Yes, AGP is better than PCI but not PCI-e(xpress). The standard now is PCI-e and the only reason I see to get an AGP card right now is if you want to make an upgrade to an aging system to give it "a last boost" without having to change your mobo and CPU.
Darth333 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-03-2006, 11:41 PM   #11
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth333
I don't know where stingerhs was but I think that the x1650 wasn't out at that time....
lolz. indeedy. A friend of mine swears by his. He is considering combining two for a 1gb Xfire setup later on when games get a bit more demanding (at higher rez)

Its actually a MUCH cheaper option - getting 2x512 cards than 1 dual GPU 1gbcard - even including the fact you *may* need a new mobo with two(or more) PCIe slots in it

@gandiva - yes, as D333 mentions - PCIe and PCI are indeed different. Basically PCIe slots can utilise more power allowing for decreased latencies in processing, supporting higher transfer rates etc

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2006, 01:47 AM   #12
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Current Game: SWTOR
gandiva, as to your inquiry about an LCD monitor, depending on how much you're willing to spend you have a few options, personally I wouldn't go below a 19", but it's all to taste. Some of the "better" brands would be ViewSonic and Samsung also make pretty good quality monitors. If you're looking for a widescreen, this 22" is a quality product by Chimei, I haven't really heard of them before, but if you're willing to spend the extra money, a friend of mine purchased one and I can say first hand... it looks sweet.

"Women are like sunsets… they’re beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Mav is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Community Discussion > General LFNetwork Forums > General Tech Discussion > Some questions about video cards (not a prob)