lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Video game violence, and it's effect on society
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-08-2007, 10:51 PM   #1
Nancy Allen``
Banned

Video game violence, and it's effect on society

We've all heard the debates about games like Doom, Mortal Kombat and Grand Theft Auto, some of you may even know about tests and experiments conducted to prove or disprove that games turn you into a killer (such as Killology that puts forward the notion that games can train you to kill). So what's your opinion? Do you think video games can give us ideas, train us to act out what we see on screen or influence us to commit what we do in games in real life?
Nancy Allen`` is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-09-2007, 07:31 AM   #2
Spider AL
A well-spoken villain...

FYI:

Do video games corrupt our youth?
Kids and Media Violence
I love violent video games...
Moral Kombat... this is bad, really bad...

I think I've commented in all the above threads, and it boils down to: Violent games/movies do not create violence, they do not force an individual to commit violent acts. There must be an existing predeliction for violence present in the individual beforehand... and frankly, they'll find SOME sort of outlet for their violence eventually. To blame games and movies is short-sighted in the extreme.

[FW] Spider AL
--
Hewwo, meesa Jar-Jar Binks. Yeah. Excusing me, but me needs to go bust meesa head in with dissa claw-hammer, because yousa have stripped away meesa will to living.
Spider AL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-09-2007, 08:01 PM   #3
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Video games don't commit crimes, people do.
I will say that we (hubby and I) have to be careful with our kids with even mild video game kiddie violence. We pick out age appropriate games for our kids and we don't allow them to play a long time, but they still get a little squirrelly if there's too much kiddie 'violence'. Determining what's 'too much' for each kid is highly individual, however. In any case, I don't think video games give anyone any more ideas than watching movies/internet/etc., and it certainly doesn't force anyone to go commit crimes.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-09-2007, 08:06 PM   #4
JoeDoe 2.0
n - 1

Like Jae said, people are responsible for their own actions, and games should not be blamed for the foolishness of some people, but also, continuous violence influences the personality of some people, making them more aggresive, those people should be kept far from video games, along with kids.

JoeDoe 2.0 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-09-2007, 08:11 PM   #5
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
I also agree with Jae. The whole idea just seems absurd.

People have become too obsessed with trying to accuse video games, movies music etc. of making people violent.

Makes me wonder just how much free time people have when they can think about stuff like this instead of real problems like poverty etc.

Last edited by Pho3nix; 03-13-2007 at 08:27 AM.
Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-09-2007, 08:14 PM   #6
Samuel Dravis

This "attack the videogame" is just hype so politicians can be seen to be doing something "for the children." This ALWAYS goes will with the people at large, excusing any action on their part regardless of its real-world effect. It's a good thing the courts have the sense to kill any legislation based on it. Even so, just having the laws proposed costs taxpayers money. I don't consider it to be in the interest of the people for them to continue proposing them, particularly when they could be doing something else more productive.

"Words are deeds." - Wittgenstein
Samuel Dravis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Community > Senate Chambers > Video game violence, and it's effect on society