lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: KOTOR 3 Time setting
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 02-18-2007, 05:58 AM   #41
Jediphile
Persona non grata

^^

How are you going to go from being a normal person to a powerful jedi who can be a threat to the true Sith in the relatively short time span of a game without having it stretch credibility beyond the breaking point? That makes sense only if you were already powerful, but somehow didn't know it, which all seems like deja vu. In fact, deja deja vu, given how the protagonist of both KotOR and TSL was handled...

Basically that would leave us with three force anomalies in three games. Not very original, I fear... I do give Obsidian credit for the exile's unusual power, which is different from Revan's, but you just can't repeat the same old plot device of the "unique jedi who lost his force powers" over and over. It's old!

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built" - Kreia

Visit my KotOR blog at Deadly Forums.
Jediphile is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-18-2007, 08:50 AM   #42
Henz

^ I agree.

Thats why I want to avoid somethig as clear-cut as Jedi altogether
Henz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-18-2007, 09:02 AM   #43
legend222
Rookie

Yes I agree that the whole a normal man\woman turns in to a uber-powerful Jedi\Sith in a few weeks or monts is getting old and annoying. A problem I see is if there is a new character that becomes a powerhouse it becomes unrealistic. Just how many Force users are there in the galaxy that have chosen one level strength (Revan being something like the chosen one of his time). Obsidian tried to make Revan and the Exile oposites (heart and death of the Force) so how will this new uber-Jedi fit in this? It seems to me that which ever company develops K3 is going to have a lot of work.
legend222 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-18-2007, 09:15 AM   #44
Jediphile
Persona non grata

Not really. Fan-fic ideas for a K3 plot have already been written that let a new protagonist be a jedi without having the unique powers of Revan or the exile (and so being an uber-jedi). That being the case, it should be a fairly easy thing for the developers to do as well.

And the protagonist MUST be a jedi, if you ask me. How else can it be "Knights of the Old Republic III"?

Old 02-18-2007, 09:34 AM   #45
SilentScope001
May The Force Serve You.

Quote:
Not really. Fan-fic ideas for a K3 plot have already been written that let a new protagonist be a jedi without having the unique powers of Revan or the exile (and so being an uber-jedi). That being the case, it should be a fairly easy thing for the developers to do as well.
I have repeated my arguments in the other thread, so I don't feel the need to repeat myself, but the Third Jedi Padawan needs an uber-power, otherwise it makes the True Sith looks stupid. I don't want the True Sith to look stupid, and I don't want Revan and Exile's ego stroked. I want only the Jedi Padawn's ego stroked.

And if you are arguing that it's "deja deja vu" let me remind you that this may be the THIRD time that they are doing this. Three times the charm, so if they choose to create a third uber-power, they can get away with it, and whenever they make future KOTORs, they have no more uber-powers. But, now, they need to put an uber-power, otherwise there is no need to fear the True Sith.

And legend22 makes a good point. The Jedi Padawan is going to be a powerhouse. Justifying that powerhouse in-game is cliched, but it's better than not justifiying why your "nobody" is a powerhouse. I actually like said justifications, they add to the story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Onion
"The Cambodian government has established many exciting-sounding 're-education camps' where both intellectuals and everyday citizens can be sent at any time," Day said. Well, we at Barnes & Noble have always supported re-education in America, and we intend to extend this policy to our new customers." For every hardcover book sold, Barnes & Noble will donate a dollar to the Cambodian government to help re-educate local children.
Full Article Here
SilentScope001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-18-2007, 10:17 AM   #46
Vaelastraz
Veteran

Ingame, the new PC will indeed be a powerhouse way stronger than Revan and less so than the Exile.

Why? New feats powers etc. Even party members will be more powerful than Revan...

I don't see a problem there, however, the PC shouldn't be portrayed like an uber powerful being.

The PC doesn't have to be insanely powerful to have a strong impact on the plot. Just look at Kyle Katarn, Corran Horn etc. They are not the most powerful Jedi of their age and still, they have(in their plots) a huge impact on the galaxy.
Vaelastraz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-18-2007, 12:11 PM   #47
legend222
Rookie

I don't think that the Exile is realy more powerful than Revan new feats and powers are just added by the developers so leveling up can be more fun for veterans of the previous game. And Kreia makes a point by describing them as opposites.

Whoever the PC is he\she must be a powerhouse, it's cliched but I like the feel of playing with a someone who is more powerful than the normal Jedi\Sith. Otherwise the True Sith will be weakling if they're getting pwned by a Force user with normal power levels.
legend222 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-18-2007, 01:26 PM   #48
Jediphile
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaelastraz
The PC doesn't have to be insanely powerful to have a strong impact on the plot. Just look at Kyle Katarn, Corran Horn etc. They are not the most powerful Jedi of their age and still, they have(in their plots) a huge impact on the galaxy.
Precisely my point. It is also why I don't think the new character needs to an uber-jedi to be THE deciding factor in how the war against the true Sith plays out. For that reason alone, I'd like the focus to be on strong plot instead of constantly pushing the power level. But I admit that it's an opinion and that others don't have to share it. There is no reason why the new pc cannot be a huge powerhouse. If people prefer that, then fine. I just wish they would distinguish between whether it's a preference and so an opinion and whether it is an absolute necessity, the insistence of which makes discussion sadly difficult.

Old 02-18-2007, 01:30 PM   #49
reven0123
Rookie

witin a year of tsl.

"Savior, conqueror, hero, villain. You are all things, Revanů and yet you are nothing. In the end, you belong to neither the light nor the darkness. You will forever stand alone." Darth Malak
reven0123 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-19-2007, 12:57 AM   #50
DARTH_DANZIG
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish.Stapler
I was thinking 5-10 years after KotOR 2. Anything else and the Jedi Order/Republic won't have had NEAR enough time to get patched up for the new wave of super-powerful baddies hell-bent on their destruction.

Edit: Also, too long after that 10-year benchmark creates disassociation with the main storyline and problems establishing continuity.
And now I pose the idea of a split time phrame story line as it is a bit of originality added to the game's series' progress.

SAMHAIN HAS REACHED THE FORCE!!!
Jedi are going mad, chaos is ensuing everywhere!!! And all this time the masters were still trying to piece together how you get the handle to just stay on the belt! A drunk jedi is always up for a good fight!!!
"Jawa juice?" "No make it a visarian brandy, I'm gonna need to clear my mind after that last mission."
"You know what I always wanted to see? A celebrity death match dual between Palpatine and GG allin"

Please refrain from using foul language in your signature and your posts in general. Thanks.
~LF Staff
DARTH_DANZIG is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2007, 10:40 AM   #51
psand
Rookie

I think it should be somewhere between 5 to 15 years after tsl.
psand is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2007, 03:46 PM   #52
Jediphile
Persona non grata

I'd set it no later than two years after TSL, but actually have the game begin just after TSL and the skip the two years over quickly as the new character learns the jedi ways.

Old 04-08-2007, 04:18 PM   #53
Gargoyle King
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediphile
I'd set it no later than two years after TSL, but actually have the game begin just after TSL and the skip the two years over quickly as the new character learns the jedi ways.
Sounds like a good idea - we can't have Revan chasing after the True Sith Empire forever now, can we!
Gargoyle King is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2007, 04:25 PM   #54
Scyrone
Rookie

Personally I would like to see it a little ways after KotOR 2. I heard somewhere that it talked of it being 14 years after KotOR 2, but maybe it was just rumor. I wouldn't mind fourteen years.
Scyrone is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-09-2007, 12:48 PM   #55
Titanius Anglesmith
Kingslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scyrone
Personally I would like to see it a little ways after KotOR 2. I heard somewhere that it talked of it being 14 years after KotOR 2, but maybe it was just rumor. I wouldn't mind fourteen years.
That's a very old and untrue rumor. I would rather KotOR III be fairly close to the end of TSL. No more than 2-4 years after.

Titanius Anglesmith is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-09-2007, 08:41 PM   #56
Darca Lar
Forumite

Current Game: Dragon Age Origins
Fairly close, just to wrap up the story. If it was any later, than that'd be a lot of history to cover in the game.

Yesterday is history. Tomorrow, a mystery. Today is a gift...that is why it is called the present.
Darca Lar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2007, 03:38 PM   #57
Jediphile
Persona non grata

Yeah. TSL ends on a note that suggested to me that the true Sith were about to make their move. Can't be too long after that.

Old 04-13-2007, 09:37 AM   #58
kotor_freak
Rookie

Right, new character, definately.

My idea would be around 2-4 years after TSL. Gives enough time for both sides to recover from what happened in K2 and all that.

Heh, laugh if they decided to make K1,K2 and K3 all into the final three games and went back to do 3 other games before K1....

Seem to recall that happening to something else...

"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here." -Tidus, Final Fantasy X
kotor_freak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-13-2007, 09:43 AM   #59
Jediphile
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotor_freak
Right, new character, definately.

My idea would be around 2-4 years after TSL. Gives enough time for both sides to recover from what happened in K2 and all that.

Heh, laugh if they decided to make K1,K2 and K3 all into the final three games and went back to do 3 other games before K1....

Seem to recall that happening to something else...
I can see it now how it will chronicle the Mandlorian Wars - "KotOR2 - Attack of the Mandalorians"

Old 04-13-2007, 11:14 AM   #60
Titanius Anglesmith
Kingslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediphile
I can see it now how it will chronicle the Mandlorian Wars - "KotOR2 - Attack of the Mandalorians"
Actually, if you went by the names of the prequels (except for changing the name slightly for the second one) it would be perfect.

KotOR I: The Phantom Menace (the Mandalorians right before the war)

KotOR II: Attack of the Mandalorians (of course, the beginning of the Mandalorian invasion of the Republic)

KotOT III: Revenge of the Sith (Revan and Malak turning to the dark side, turning Republic soldiers and Jedi over to their side, and attacking the Republic)

Ok, ok, so that obviously wouldn't happen, but it's still a strange coincidence that it seems to fit so perfectly.

Titanius Anglesmith is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-13-2007, 11:26 AM   #61
kotor_freak
Rookie

Wow, that actually does make quite good sense.

Lucasarts, they're mischevious. I know what they're planning, all on they're laptops laughing manically away at these messages..

I bet yer, they're up to something...

Right so i'm going insane...whats new?

"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here." -Tidus, Final Fantasy X
kotor_freak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-13-2007, 05:23 PM   #62
Darca Lar
Forumite

Current Game: Dragon Age Origins
such a prequel is possible, which would make Revan the character in such a situation and some choices would already be predestined. Though I guess they could keep it open and give a fantasy side of how you'd like to go about the prequel.

Yesterday is history. Tomorrow, a mystery. Today is a gift...that is why it is called the present.
Darca Lar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > The Unknown Regions > KOTOR 3 Time setting