lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: [RUMOUR] Kotor MMO in Production.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-13-2007, 01:20 PM   #161
John Galt

Sorry to double post, but I thought this news was worth it.

http://www.informationweek.com/showA...ryText=bioware

apparently BioWare's MMO is employing some nifty new tech, and is due to be released in 2009

Wer mit Ungeheuern kämpft, mag zusehn, dass er nicht dabei zum Ungeheuer wird. Und wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in dich hinein. -Friedrich Nietzsche, Jenseits von Gut und Böse
John Galt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-13-2007, 02:02 PM   #162
SilentScope001
May The Force Serve You.

Wait. They are busy coming up with a great engine, but they don't even say what the game ACTUALLY IS?

What sort of hype is Bioware trying to inspire here? The fact is, what if we don't like the theme of Bioware MMO? Then we won't play it, no matter what fancy new tech they would have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Onion
"The Cambodian government has established many exciting-sounding 're-education camps' where both intellectuals and everyday citizens can be sent at any time," Day said. Well, we at Barnes & Noble have always supported re-education in America, and we intend to extend this policy to our new customers." For every hardcover book sold, Barnes & Noble will donate a dollar to the Cambodian government to help re-educate local children.
Full Article Here
SilentScope001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-13-2007, 09:18 PM   #163
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
Oy Scopester! BioWare isn't ready to talk about their MMO game's story yet, that is all. Why get so concerned about a MMOG that is still 18 months+ from being released? While I agree with your statement that people won't play the game if they don't like the theme there is still plenty of time to make that determination. My guess is that we'll get some content info on BioWare's MMO by around this time next year. Of course I really want to know if it ends up being an MMOG that uses the SW license but it doesn't seem like that is a likely scenario.

The interesting thing about this is the Streambase technology that BioWare will use. It should give BioWare much better insight into what their players are doing and be able to enhance the role playing experience while helping to prevent people from using cheats or exploits. This tech is apparently powerful and promising enough that the CIA is reportedly investing in it.

Want to battle against cancer and other chronic diseases? Join Team LFN!

Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-14-2007, 01:53 PM   #164
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User

Lets see, we have 70790 fantasy MMO, and WoW is still going strong, amongst other things. Would be nice if we have a more sci-fi ish MMO, or better yet, STEAMPUNK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!1

Sorry but I really don't like the idea of a k3 MMO. It is just not practical to have two Star Wars MMO at the same time, unless you close down SWG and kick sony in the junk, which YOU SHOULD(I mean the kick sony in the junk part).
PoiuyWired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-14-2007, 06:14 PM   #165
John Galt

As I've said before, I do not think that the production of a MMO by Bioware Austin set in the KotOR time period would interfere with the production of KotOR III at Bioware's other studio. If anything, I think the emergence of a "KotOR" MMO would ensure that the next chapter or two of the KotOR saga end up getting prioritized for production, as multiple important galactic conflicts within the time frame of the Great Sith Wars (we've already got Exar Kun's War, the Mandalorian Wars, the Jedi Civil War, and the First Jedi Purge) would make great "new chapters" to allow the thoretical Great Sith Wars MMO to expand into.

I think, due to the decidedly different atmosphere of the Great Sith Wars time period (Republic vs. Whoever) and the Galactic Civil War(Empire vs. Rebellion), allong with different gameplay mechanics would allow Galaxies to continue to exist. Another MMO, especially one with a differrent class/combat system, would likely appeal to those gamers who quit Galaxies after SOE released the patches that completely destroyed that game's class and combat systems.

This new technology Bioware has obtained would definitely be extraordinarily useful in producing and maintaining an MMO, especially one set in a Star Wars era that they have working experience with(indeed, they basically defined the general atmosphere of the Great Sith Wars era in KotOR). This, along with Bioware's hiring of an employee to deal with liscensing, could very well point to the production of an MMO possibly set in the Great Sith Wars era by the Austin studio.

Wer mit Ungeheuern kämpft, mag zusehn, dass er nicht dabei zum Ungeheuer wird. Und wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in dich hinein. -Friedrich Nietzsche, Jenseits von Gut und Böse
Old 06-15-2007, 12:34 AM   #166
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt
As I've said before, I do not think that the production of a MMO by Bioware Austin set in the KotOR time period would interfere with the production of KotOR III at Bioware's other studio.
As BioWare employees have said before, BioWare is not making KotOR 3. This pretty much makes BioWare making KotOR 3 along with a KotOR MMOG a moot point. Perhaps BioWare is making a KotOR-based MMO. Only time or a reliable insider source letting their tongue slip will tell but they're not making KotOR 3.

Old 06-15-2007, 01:54 AM   #167
John Galt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char Ell
As BioWare employees have said before, BioWare is not making KotOR 3. This pretty much makes BioWare making KotOR 3 along with a KotOR MMOG a moot point. Perhaps BioWare is making a KotOR-based MMO. Only time or a reliable insider source letting their tongue slip will tell but they're not making KotOR 3.
for the record, I was referring to the worst case scenario, in which KotOR III isn't currently in production anywhere(which we can assume is happening).

I should have phrased it "future production of plot-based KotOR games;" However, I don't think a Great Sith Wars-era MMO would qualify as KotOR III, at least in terms of plot development. This, I think, is the sort of Ben-Kenobi-esque-not-telling-the-truth-but-not-actually-lying Bioware could be using to cover up the production of a potential KotOR-era MMO.

Old 06-15-2007, 10:05 AM   #168
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoiuyWired
Lets see, we have 70790 fantasy MMO, and WoW is still going strong, amongst other things. Would be nice if we have a more sci-fi ish MMO
I think a Mass Effect MMO might be cool...

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-15-2007, 08:29 PM   #169
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt
I should have phrased it "future production of plot-based KotOR games;" However, I don't think a Great Sith Wars-era MMO would qualify as KotOR III, at least in terms of plot development. This, I think, is the sort of Ben-Kenobi-esque-not-telling-the-truth-but-not-actually-lying Bioware could be using to cover up the production of a potential KotOR-era MMO.
I haven't seen or heard anything about what BioWare's MMOG is. Of course there are the rumors that it's KotOR-based but don't seem like very substantial rumors and BioWare has maintained their silence on that front. LucasArts hasn't provided any insight on the matter either and they would be in a position to, if BioWare's new MMOG is Star Wars-based.

So yes, we've got no info about BioWare's MMOG. As for myself I don't think BioWare's new MMOG will use the Star Wars license but we'll see whenever BioWare decides to make an official announcement about it. And no, I don't think a KotOR-based MMOG would qualify as KotOR 3 either. But then again, we were only told that LucasArts would not leave the KotOR franchise behind so the franchise wouldn't necessarily have to be continued as a single-player RPG. It could be continued as an MMORPG. But this doesn't seem likely to me.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > The Unknown Regions > [RUMOUR] Kotor MMO in Production.