lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: PCGameMods FAQs
Post a new thread. Sorry, this thread is closed. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-17-2007, 11:16 PM   #1
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Arrow PCGameMods FAQs

Q: Is PCGameMods down?
A: If you're reading this thread, it's probably down. Sometimes it's working, sometimes it's not. That's the way it is with this site as of the date of this post. The site owner provided a wonderful service for all of us for a long time, and for a variety of reasons is not able to do that any more the way he used to. So, we thank him for what he was able to do for us on his own time and at no charge to us.

Q: When will it be back up?
A: We don't really know. It may or may not come back.

Q: Isn't there anything you can do?
A: We're sorry, but we're in the same boat as you, and we have no association with or control of this site.

Q: Where can I find the mods listed on PCGameMods?
A: Check out the Where can I find mods thread in the Holowan Labs section. There are a number of terrific sites listed. Also, check out our own Taris Upper City Emporium for mods made by fellow members. Failing that you can ask for a possible mod link in the Mod Link Requests from PCGM and other Sites thread in our Modding Requests Subforum.

Q: I want to start a thread here about X related to PCGameMods.
A: Please don't. Other threads on PCGameMods will be locked. Thanks for your cooperation.

Q: PCGameMods is now up/down. Should I ask about it or report the status?
A: No. Those threads will likewise be closed.

Q: Should I post in a Mods Release thread in the Taris Upper City Emporium (T.U.C.E.) to ask that a mod be re-hosted somewhere else?
A: No, posts doing this will now simply be deleted, please use the private message (PM) System to contact the mod author directly to ask this question.

Note: The thread is open for the time being, but it may get closed at some point. Please keep this limited to questions or directly relevant comments. Thanks.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Last edited by RedHawke; 06-19-2007 at 12:06 PM.
Jae Onasi is offline   you may:
Old 06-18-2007, 03:05 AM   #2
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Current Game: NWN
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
I've been told that direct linking still works...but I'm not too sure about that, maybe someone could confirm that with a direct link?

"I killed a man cause he killed my goat."
Negative Sun is offline   you may:
Old 06-18-2007, 03:20 AM   #3
Shem
Master of the Force

Current Game: Variations of games
10 year veteran! Veteran Modder Notable contributor Hot Topic Starter 
From my understanding most direct linking doesn't work anymore. I have seen some work, but most of them do not. This is a really bad sign that we'll probably never see the site anymore. I just hope that people who have hosted mods with them know about this, especially those who were ONLY hosting their work there and work out a way to get them hosted in other places like FileFront (the site I manage), LucasFiles, or a personal website.

Interested in hosting a your KOTOR or TSL mod at FileFront? Send your mod HERE and we'll validate it as soon as we can! FileFront is a good way to get publicity for your mod as we get 1000's of visitors everyday. Is my LucasForum PM box full again? If you really need to reach me, PM me at YouTube under the username: Shem L -- Watch my KOTOR videos! Download my mods from FileFront!

Shem is offline   you may:
Old 06-18-2007, 01:08 PM   #4
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Well hopefully those people will have their work on their HDD as well...

Old 06-18-2007, 05:09 PM   #5
The Doctor
Retired

Current Game: Skyrim
Forum Veteran 
Now, doesn't linking to a Google Cache work alright still?
The Doctor is offline   you may:
Old 06-18-2007, 08:43 PM   #6
Arátoeldar
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor
Now, doesn't linking to a Google Cache work alright still?
Yes because Google Cache has nothing to do with PCGM. Until Google gets rid of the cached web page. The web page will always be available.

Not all those who wander are lost.-J.R.R. Tolkien

I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it but by it I see everything else - C.S. Lewis
Arátoeldar is offline   you may:
Old 06-18-2007, 11:28 PM   #7
REDJOHNNYMIKE
Destroyer of Burfday!

Location: Your liver... and a hobgoblin's jugular... simultaneously
<3<3<3 I love this thread <3<3<3

So what is the current "state of the union" concerning mod hosting?
Might as well post that here too.
Jumstation del chainZ
Lucasfiles
I get the rest mixed up, so filla inna da blanks please.

The Binary Theory of Life: Inside the box = bad... Outside the box = good...
Sanity is the highest form of oppression.
REDJOHNNYMIKE is offline   you may:
Old 06-19-2007, 01:30 AM   #8
SithRevan
Veteran

Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDJOHNNYMIKE
<3<3<3 I love this thread <3<3<3

So what is the current "state of the union" concerning mod hosting?
Might as well post that here too.
Jumstation del chainZ
Lucasfiles
I get the rest mixed up, so filla inna da blanks please.
Well it's probably a safe bet to say lucasfiles, kotor2files, and TUCE are the places that you will want to host them. Jumpstation is more of a linking site from what I have seen, it only hosts chainz's mods but is a good place to put a link to your own personal site. Which reminds me personal sites are also probably one of the best ideas.

I have defied gods and demons.
I am your shield, I am your sword.
I know you; your past, your future.
This is the way the world ends...
-----------------------------------------
TAC-F v2.0 | Ubese Assassin's Armor | TSL: Warp Console v1.0 | Auto K1 DS Transitioning | Deralia Spaceport[TSL&K1] | Kotor2Files.com Co.Manager | K1RP: Kotor I Restoration Project
SithRevan is offline   you may:
Old 06-19-2007, 03:29 AM   #9
REDJOHNNYMIKE
Destroyer of Burfday!

Quote:
it only hosts chainz's mods
What more doth one need?

But yeah, that's what I mean. It'd be nice to add a list of alternative links right after the whole "We do not speak of pcgamemods!" thing.

Old 06-19-2007, 05:42 AM   #10
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

You can call me a forum n00b for this, but why the hell do trolls pop up on every forum I know and start asking why PCGameMods is down. I mean, why just PCGM? And why on every unconncected, random forum?

Sabretooth is offline   you may:
Old 06-19-2007, 09:32 AM   #11
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SithRevan
Well it's probably a safe bet to say lucasfiles, kotor2files, and TUCE are the places that you will want to host them. Jumpstation is more of a linking site from what I have seen, it only hosts chainz's mods but is a good place to put a link to your own personal site. Which reminds me personal sites are also probably one of the best ideas.
Indeed, and QFE on all parts

While my site is 'mainly' for my mods (I host some other modder's mods as well.. just not publicly linked on my site).. I will gladly post links to other modders' personal websites. All you have to do is let me know via PM/email

You can find a large list of Free Web Hosting sites here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDJOHNNYMIKE
It'd be nice to add a list of alternative links right after the whole "We do not speak of pcgamemods!" thing.
Perhaps so.. until then, we have this modders' site list in Holowan (posted in the first post). Though now that we have this Sticky, it might be more appropriate to list/mirror them here. Holowan, unfortunately, tends to "scare off" the mod-users-but-not-mod-makers crowd ... hehehe (we don't bite... much... )

Good point RJM, methinks this point will have to be raised with the other Mods to see if they agree

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may:
Old 06-19-2007, 11:00 PM   #12
REDJOHNNYMIKE
Destroyer of Burfday!

Thanks ChAiNz, of course it's easy for "us" to find mods in holowan, but some people might actually have problems finding them (I know I've seen some pretty screwed up modding sites) for various reasons. I guess holowan could induce technojargonphobia in some people.
But if they are going to spam here, a nice list should add to the warning's effectiveness.

Old 06-20-2007, 05:36 AM   #13
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Maybe we could have a poll here in Ahto to see what are the all-time most popular mods for noobs to try out, cause I know it can be quite confusing when you just get into KotOR mods to try and decide which ones are worth it or not...
And by ones that are worth it I mean ones that have been played through thoroughly, without all too many bugs, easy to use, cool, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
You can call me a forum n00b for this, but why the hell do trolls pop up on every forum I know and start asking why PCGameMods is down. I mean, why just PCGM? And why on every unconncected, random forum?
I think it's cause PCGameMods is what you would most easily fin in Google when you type in something like "Mods for PC Games" or whatever, hence it being so popular, hence people going "wtf?" when a site linked on Google doesn't work...

Old 06-20-2007, 06:56 PM   #14
REDJOHNNYMIKE
Destroyer of Burfday!

The problem with the poll, is that there are too many choices. It would have to be done more like the Ahtonaut awards. And even then it would be messy.

Here's my take on Featured Mods, in addition to host links such as lucasfiles, have a certain number of mod's linked which changes each month/week, featuring noteworthy mods, and possibly some which might have flown under the radar.

Old 06-21-2007, 02:02 AM   #15
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

One thing about the Featured Mods section over at SWK that not alot of people have taken advantage of is that we accept reviews from EVERYONE. The header at the bottom of the page leads to player reviews of mods over the past years that have sparked some interest in a few players.

If there's a mod that you like in particular that you think goes above & beyond, please feel free to write a review about it. Once our news posters take a look over it and if it gets approved, we'll gladly post the review and if possible, host the mod as well. Granted we'll need a copy of the mod and the modders' permission but at least it's an option

Please keep in mind we'd like for the review to be more than "It's great, download it!" and for the mod to have that little extra 'oomph' to it...hehehe

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may:
Old 07-19-2007, 05:30 PM   #16
JMartin25
Rookie

Quick question what happened that made pcgamemods go down? I mean before I got my new computer it was down but it would come back up. I read somewhere that it had to do with trolling can someone please clarify?

Scorch: Was it Red-red-green or red-green-red?

Sev: And he's supposed to be the demolitions expert?
JMartin25 is offline   you may:
Old 07-19-2007, 05:35 PM   #17
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
I believe it was a server problem.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may:
Old 07-19-2007, 05:39 PM   #18
JMartin25
Rookie

that sucks no offense to this place or to the other kotor/tsl mod places that I go to (I love them all because modding the game is fun lol) but that place had a larger archive tis a bloody shame it went down.

Thanks Jae Onasi for clearing that up^^

Scorch: Was it Red-red-green or red-green-red?

Sev: And he's supposed to be the demolitions expert?
JMartin25 is offline   you may:
Old 07-19-2007, 05:55 PM   #19
Reclaimer
Loves Keira Knightley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMartin25
that sucks no offense to this place or to the other kotor/tsl mod places that I go to (I love them all because modding the game is fun lol) but that place had a larger archive tis a bloody shame it went down.

Thanks Jae Onasi for clearing that up^^
The guys who ran it backed up all the mods. I think they're all at the filefront server now.

philla は陰茎のハハのwat の名前をであるそのlmfao のゲイの名前吸う
Reclaimer is offline   you may:
Old 07-24-2007, 10:10 AM   #20
tk102
Well past expiration date

Current Game: Dragon Age: Origins
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaderrocks
Great! So now FileFront, a game-port free site, is now trashed up with PCGM's junk. Fabulous!
What exactly is trashed up? Looks fine to me.

http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/
tk102 is offline   you may:
Old 07-25-2007, 09:16 AM   #21
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
What exactly are you referring to?

Prime is offline   you may:
Post a new thread. Sorry, this thread is closed. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Editing / Modding > Holowan Laboratories > Modding requests > PCGameMods FAQs