lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: X-Wing Collector's CD-Rom
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-30-2007, 11:02 PM   #1
Chuck_Gee
Lurker

X-Wing Collector's CD-Rom

Hello.

My 8 year old just plucked this from the library this week. I do have an old Win 98 computer up and running in the house, but I seem to need to make a boot disk to get this running.

My memory of arcane dos commands has faded. While the game does create a boot disk, it does not allow me to hear sound and use the CD drive. Does anyone have any suggestions on creating a boot disk that will enable my sound card and CD-ROM? My searching of edits for the autoexec and config.sys files has come up short.

Thanks in advance.
Chuck_Gee is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-31-2007, 11:38 AM   #2
Wildstar
Can outbowl most of you

10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
If you have a newer machine (running WinXP or Vista), you should be able to run it on that machine under an emulator such as VDMSound or DOSBox. Both emulators should automatically simulate and allocate expanded memory. If you go this route, you may also find this thread on TheForce.net useful.

Wildstar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-31-2007, 08:16 PM   #3
Chuck_Gee
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildstar
If you have a newer machine (running WinXP or Vista), you should be able to run it on that machine under an emulator such as VDMSound or DOSBox. Both emulators should automatically simulate and allocate expanded memory. If you go this route, you may also find this thread on TheForce.net useful.
Yeah, I saw that. Isn't that for Collector's Edition (the Win95 stuff) and not the Collector's CD Rom (DOS)?
Old 08-01-2007, 10:23 AM   #4
Wildstar
Can outbowl most of you

No, what you've probably seen is the 3D compatibility patch for the X-Wing Collector's Series, which will only work w/ the Windows versions of X-Wing and TIE Fighter. The DOS games require emulation of the DOS operating system when running on Windows 2000 and later, as I mentioned earlier.

Old 08-04-2007, 09:04 PM   #5
Chuck_Gee
Lurker

Well, as I said, I'm running 98, not 2000 so I wouldn't need an emulator. Also, I'm clearly using the DOS based "Collector's CD" not the "Collector's Series" which is the Win95 version.

All I need is to make a boot disk on a 1.44 floppy that will load DOS, enable EMS, and activate the SET BLASTER code and the CD ROM. I used to know how to do that back 12 years ago. Anyone remember how to do it?
Old 08-05-2007, 11:38 AM   #6
Wildstar
Can outbowl most of you

I found some DOS stuff on the web and on an old book. These go in config.sys:

DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE RAM
STACKS=9,128

(Note: C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE should be the path to the file EMM386.EXE)

This goes into autoexec.bat:

SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 E620 T6

I doubt you will need MSCDEX.EXE b/c Windows DOS has it's own support for the CD-ROM drive, but come back if you have problems.

Old 08-05-2007, 11:42 AM   #7
Wildstar
Can outbowl most of you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildstar
I found some DOS stuff on the web and on an old book. These go in config.sys:

DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE RAM

(Note: C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE should be the path to the file EMM386.EXE; probably C:\Windows\COMMAND\EMM386.EXE)

This goes into autoexec.bat:

SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 E620 T6

I doubt you will need MSCDEX.EXE b/c Windows DOS has its own support for the CD-ROM drive, but come back if you have problems.
Actually, you could also probably start Windows in "Single DOS Application Mode" and have everything supported...there should be an option for this in the Windows shutdown screen.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars Classic Gaming > 2. Star Wars Gaming > X-Wing Trilogy & X-Wing Vs. TIE Fighter > X-Wing Collector's CD-Rom