lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Lucasforum mods' hypocrisy proven!
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Sorry, this thread is closed. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 12-12-2007, 12:50 PM   #41
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.
 
Darth InSidious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Eleven-Day Empire
Posts: 5,782
Current Game: KotOR II
I've been around the internet a few times, and been on both sides of moderation, inside and outside of heated debates.

What I'll say is that what favouritism/elitism there is here - and it's impossible to completely rip it out, mods/admins are human, after all - is, for the most part, pretty minimal. Most moderation is quick, effective, and fairly neutral here, and that is the most you can ask.

Just my tuppence ha'penny.

EDIT: I just thought I'd add that when the chips are eaten, it's just a forum. You have to emotionally detach yourself at some point. If someone sends you a snide PM trashing you, feel flattered that they wasted that much time on you. If your post is edited/deleted and you get a warning, and you feel you weren't out of line? Don't do it again. It doesn't matter what you thought- you weren't the one on the line who had to make that choice.



Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?
Darth InSidious is offline   you may:
Old 12-12-2007, 01:45 PM   #42
Marius Fett
Frigged if I know!
 
Marius Fett's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Wales
Posts: 3,379
My thoughts exactly




Visit the new JediKnight.net!
Marius Fett is online now   you may:
Old 12-12-2007, 01:58 PM   #43
DarthStrider
Lurker
 
DarthStrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: South Africa
Posts: 5
I'm new here (so I apologise if I seem out of line) and I therefore can not take sides or pick and choose. I am a member of many forums and am also a moderator on another site.

This thread actually caught my attention. And honestly, I think some people are actually creating mountains out of mole hills. No one is perfect, absolutely no one. Everyone makes mistakes and most of the time, these mistakes can be corrected if the person takes the time.

I think it was very good of Rogue Nine to compromise. That takes a lot.

Moderators and Adminastrators have a very tough job (and I am not saying that just because I am a Moderator on a different forum, as in truth, I really do not have a lot to moderate) and often have very tough decisions to make. A lot of thought and debates go on to make sure all mods agree before performing a tough job. And I am sure the current situation doesnt come into consideration, but the members history with the site and other members.

And there's my bit. I once again apologise if you feel that I am out of line.


"Do. Or do not. There is no try."
DarthStrider is offline   you may:
Old 12-12-2007, 03:39 PM   #44
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png
 
Det. Bart Lasiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: `(•.°)~
Posts: 7,997
Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Source
Oh god! I called someone a wolf.
And to top it off, it wasn't even funny! Try not acting so SERIOUS BUSINESS all the ****ing time. Jesus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Source
What! Everyone is welcomed here.
Internet != Candyland. It's just a big pool of hate.


And get Firefox so you can spell check your posts.



"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may:
Old 12-12-2007, 03:43 PM   #45
tk102
Well past expiration date
 
tk102's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,767
Current Game: FTL
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac7142
Internet != Candyland. It's just a big pool of hate.
Easy there jmac, we don't need to prove it.


tk102 is offline   you may:
Old 12-12-2007, 03:52 PM   #46
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png
 
Det. Bart Lasiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: `(•.°)~
Posts: 7,997
Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk102
Easy there jmac, we don't need to prove it.
It was QED'd in like 1996.



"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may:
Old 12-12-2007, 04:16 PM   #47
Jediphile
Persona non grata
 
Jediphile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Sitherino
Uh, no. One complaint about an obviously non-insulting joke does not qualify for removal of content. If we'd received more complaints however, it would have been removed.
So what you're saying is that no matter what is posted, it will not be deleted unless at least two people complain about it first?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Sitherino
But seeing as pretty much every other member thought it wasn't a problem, it was left alone. And it did serve a bit of a purpose, some members seem to take themselves too seriously, they need to calm down and be better posters. Nerd rage -1.
This is so bad logic that it's just begging to be pointed out. That people did not complain does not automatically mean that they were fine with it. It just means that they didn't complain. To infer otherwise is to invoke "the silent majority". Heck, I can do that too and claim that there are few people on these boards because they are all annoyed with the lousy moderating, but just can't be bothered to complain about it. You'll note I generally don't do that. I leave that to really bad politicians...

DISCLAIMER: The latter does not mean that I'm a politician, but is just an attempt to disprove the idea that I have no sense of humor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Sitherino
No you didn't, you quoted his post (in another thread) and did so in a taunting fashion. If this wasn't your intent, then you need to learn how to phrase things better. Your post was deleted because it clearly served no purpose, the on-topic discussion was easily seen as tacked on to make yourself appear innocent.
I deny that utterly. Since I quoted Niner, you can call my post only tauting if that was true of his as well. Both were stated during heated debates on the verge of flaming. If my post served to make matters worse in that situation, then surely so did Niner's. It's sad to watch how the mods insist on sticking together in order to cover up Niner's blunder here. Just the fact that my post was deleted underscores the problem quite well, and frankly it's somehow perversely amusing to see how the mods now backpedal to differentiate between two virtually identical situations.

But I'll bite. Since you just said that it would take more than one complaint for you to delete or revise Niner's post, let me ask it openly: How many complaints did you receive about my posts before you deleted them?

And, of course, even if I were to agree that quoting Niner is acceptable - which I don't - that still leaves the matter of what it was necessary to delete the entire post. Basically what you're saying here is that it was okay to delete the entire post, because YOU didn't think the rest of it was of a high enough quality. Sorry, but that is elistist in the extreme!

It's also utterly untruthful, since the mods scarecely go through all the posts here and delete all those that are not of "sufficiently high quality". Basically you're saying that the rest of what I wrote did not have a quality that warranted its existence on these boards. Excuse me, but how DARE you judge the content of on-topic material like that?!?

I mean, what if a new poster came to this board and said in his first post: "Hi, I'm new here, but I like KotOR, and I really hope they make KotOR3 and preferably soon, though I hope Bioware makes, because TSL sucked so bad, since all the Sith Lords were the worst in Star Wars history. Bye."

Now, does this post add anything constructive to the discussion? No. It's all been said before.

Is it inflamatory? Since it voices strong criticism of characters in TSL that other people care about, it could be.

Should therefore be deleted? No.

Yet by saying that what was in my post was "tacked on" and therefore fit for deletion, you're establishing a level of quality in posts here. That's elitist. Also, please point this rule out to me in the forum guidelines.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon
If you've not noticed, it's common practice here for people to call each other geeks/nerds/clinically insane. If you can't handle the everyday teasing that goes on you need to grow a thicker skin, but starting threads like this expecting people to change their behavior to accommodate you is childish and self-centered.

[snip]

Double standards anyone?

Seeing you hold yourself to the same standard you're insulting people for having amuses me.
Okay, ED. Take a deep breath, please... Okay?

First, while I acknowledge that I very blunt here, I do believe it's relevant to point out the double standard here, and I would humbly ask that you look into the links I posted before judging solely on the bluntness of my comments here. Sadly that will be difficult, of course, since the allegedly offending posts are deleted and cannot be recovered

And yes, my comments are blunt. More blunt that I would like. So why is that? Sadly, it's because it is my experience that it is the only way the mods will even acknowledge my existence. While the mods say here and elsewhere that being reasonable and tolerant will yield better results, that has - unfortunately - not proven to be my experience on many occasions.

I frequently back down when people tell me that something I've pointed out is being considered by the mods, but here I find that's usually all that happens, and that if I leave it there, I'll have to wait until there are two thursdays in a week AND a cold day in Hell, if not longer...

If you find my approach childish, then I can't blame you, but how can you fault me when it works, while the alternative did not? Niner actually responded this time and considered the matter.

I too lament this. But if others will only be reasonable if I convince them that they must be because I'm so very unreasonable, then I'm left with little recourse. You're right that it's double standard, but can you blame me for following the examples of the mods? Sadly it was the only way to underscore my point, since nobody wanted to deal with it otherwise.

And since I do believe the standards of the moderation and the rules of the forum are relevant to discuss, I maintain that it was necessary to bring this to a point, where the mods had no choice but to resolve the matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth333
I answered very politely to your initial PM that was already, and that was our first "personal" contact to the best of my knowledge, treating me as a nazi and saying that my title was fitting. Your response to my PM was to the effect that you had a very low opinion of me. Since I am so worthless in your opinion and even if I had prepared a very polite answer to your response, I didn't send it as I thought that it was pointless to even try to further discuss the situation with you based on what you wrote to me and what you had previously sent to other mods in the past. Next time you want a follow up on your PMs, lay off the personal insults.
What you conveniently neglect to mention here - referring to a PM not posted to the board and reffered to without my consent, I might add - is that that PM was an angry response to your decision to simply delete completely inoffensive a single post each by Ztalker and myself, where we wondered about what was permissible in response to Niner's now infamous "nerd rage" comment, which killed the discussion between liayd and myself. There was nothing offensive in those posts, and given that they were in response to mod's post about the level the discussion could be taken to, I don't think it can be considered to be unwarranted and fit for deletion. If we had continued, perhaps it had been relevant to step in, but we only posted one each and then stopped. Yet it was just deleted. If you act like a net-nazi, then don't be surprised if I make comments like your chosen name is fitting. That's humor, which I thought you liked, given that you had refused to do something about Niner's post.

Let me ask something in return. Is it permissible to mention things from PMs openly on the board, as you do here? Because it seems to me that I'm being deleted for quoting something Niner say on the board... And your intents here can hardly be called humorous IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth333
When the Source says "grow some tolerance" it should apply to everyone, not only to the staff.
Interesting. Basically you're saying that the staff will "grow some tolerance" once everybody else has.

I see the other way around: Perhaps the rest of us would grow some tolerance if the staff did first by example. And that remains to be seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth333
Finally, the mods are opened to compromise.
When? I have yet to see it yield ANY results. What Niner has said in this topic is actually the closest thing I've witnessed since I joined this forum. Others have appeared reasonable at times, yes, but has remained with only words of sympathy that disappeared quickly once those were called upon to be anything more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth333
However, as mentioned above, we can't comply with every request and moderate the boards to please everyone.
Indeed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Nine
In the original thread, I posted following tk's warning to everyone (you and LIAYD) to cool down.
If LIAYD and myself were the only ones, then why bother? tk102 had already said something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Nine
My post was intended to be on topic, with a bit of mirth thrown in in hopes that the two of you would take a step back and cool your jets. You obviously did not take see it that way, choosing instead to see it as an insult. You were told that it was a joke and that you should just leave it be. I imagine this did not sit well with you.
Obviously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Nine
In light of these circumstances, it is hard to believe that you quoted my exact phrase with the intent of finding it funny. It's very clear to me that you intended to taunt me by doing so, given our past history and your obvious dislike of me.
No, I absolutely deny that. It's true that I did find your comment funny, but it's not true that I intended to taunt you or have obvious dislike of you.

At most you could accuse me of testing whether the comment was indeed as funny as the mods had claimed. I did not think so, so when I saw a similarly heated debate between especially yourself and another poster, I felt it wholly appropriate to quote the comment and then agree with it. After all, if it was just humor, then that would be okay, and if not, then would confirm my initial reaction to it. Since the mods did not like and repeatedly deleted my post, the latter would seem to be the case in the mods' eyes, despite their original claims to the contrary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Nine
You may not believe this, but I think you to be a very erudite and well-spoken contributer to these forums; that is, when you're not going off on diatribes about how the mods are out to get you. If you would just contribute and not take everything so sensitively, I imagine we'd get along just fine.
Actually, I'm arrogant enough to believe that I have contributed constructively at times - http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=177894

And I dare to believe that even this topic can be constructive if we allow it to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Nine
Unfortunately, you also have a persecution complex, in that you believe everyone on the mod staff is out to get you.
How many times am allowed to see the same pattern repeat itself before I'm allowed a conclusion? It becomes increasingly difficult to avoid as it continues to happen, you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Nine
Quite frankly, you are too sensitive. You take things way too personally. No one else reacts to jokes/friendly sarcasm/etc like you do. We do not have this problem with anyone else and I don't think it is fair that we must use a different set of standards/words/tones when dealing with you. Everyone is dealt with in the same fashion. You are the only one who has reacted in such a way.
Have you considered the possibility, just the possibility, that it could also be because I'm the only one who endures to take the confrontation rather than just give up and run away?

Much as I criticise the mods, that should suggest something positive to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Nine
Look, let me (myself and I; I do not speak for the rest of the staff) make a deal with you, okay? I understand that my joke made you upset and I am sorry that it did, because that was not my intent. I also do not think that the best way to handle it was to taunt me with it. That being said, I'm will watch what I say in the future when dealing with sensitive and heated topics. I am outspoken and blunt, with a very sarcastic sense of humor, but I'm willing to temper myself when dealing with potentially volatile situations.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Nine
In return, I ask that you not take everything so seriously. Being hypersensitive to the point where a joke like the one I made is construed to be a personal attack doesn't really help anything. In the same vein, please do not try to take justice into your own hands and try to 'make a point', as this isn't the right way to do so.
Please believe me when I say that I resort to "taking justice into my own hands" only because I see no other recourse. You think I enjoy being universally hated by the mods? I don't. But I frankly find fair and open discussion without fear of random deletion by the mods and with fair rules that are applied equally to everyone to be a more important issue than Star Wars.

That's the point here: Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who does watch the watchers? I'm frequently left with the impression that nobody does, and that the mods care more about basking in their own autority and prove their relative power by making snide remarks at posters and then get away with it because they're mods and think themselves above the rules. That's not a stab at you or anyone in particular, but it's what I've been wondering for some time, and that's a problem. I sense The Source voicing something similar (please forgive me if I'm mistaken), and it worries me. I visit a number of other of other boards and forums, and this is the only one where I have ever seen it to that degree. It's also the only board where people have called me overly sensitive. Food for thought?


"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built" - Kreia

Visit my KotOR blog at Deadly Forums.
Jediphile is offline   you may:
Old 12-12-2007, 04:55 PM   #48
tk102
Well past expiration date
 
tk102's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,767
Current Game: FTL
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediphile
What you conveniently neglect to mention here[, Darth333,] - referring to a PM not posted to the board and reffered to without my consent, I might add... Is it permissible to mention things from PMs openly on the board, as you do here?
Jediphile, you were the one who brought it up the topic of PMs... and Darth333 even implied that she wasn't sure which one you were referring to with her edit... please review:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediphile
Ah, now you put your foot in it. You know full well that I posted to several PMs to both Darth333 and tk102 on this very matter.
In short, you're just plain wrong. I DID use the PM system. That especially Darth333 preferred to just ignore me is a big part of the problem here. And yes, those PMs can be produced to prove this.
I answered very politely to your initial PM that was already, and that was our first "personal" contact to the best of my knowledge, treating me as a nazi and saying that my title was fitting....
edit: if you are talking about the PM you sent me today, you had already posted the present thread ( which is a copy of what was in my mailbox ) when I saw the PM.
The vitriol described in a first contact like this cannot bode well for future relations and dooms any chance of constructively addressing the problem.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediphile
That's the point here: Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who does watch the watchers? I'm frequently left with the impression that nobody does
But that's a recursive question Jediphile. Eventually you end up with the answer "nobody" or "everybody" or "God" or something equally nonconstructive.

I feel like this thread has stalled on rehashing old issues and confusing them with current ones. Would you like to make any further constructive criticisms or shall I close this thread?


tk102 is offline   you may:
Old 12-12-2007, 05:14 PM   #49
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,916
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Latine loqui coactus sum.


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may:
Old 12-12-2007, 05:19 PM   #50
JediMasterJambi
Rookie
 
JediMasterJambi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: I'm In The Box Right Next To You, The One With The Floating Disembodied Head In It
Posts: 99
Flawless is Flawed

I think the whole point of this was that hes tired of the ALL issues with the current staff here, old or new.
An issue left unresolved is STILL an issue. So closing this thread will mostlikley result in another thread posted. If not now, then in the future.

Nine seems to have the best grasp of things as far as this argument goes. Compromise as a resolve would be nice. :P Instead of just BAM, close thread, or BAM, banhammer.

Edit: :P Im gonna barrow that little feature TK ^-^. And yes, that was quite snippity earilier.
My point, short and sweet was that EL Sitherino and ED seemed to be trying to shift all the blame solely upon Phile. I think the Mods have a bit of blame here aswell. I accepted my blame when I joined this thread with the intent of compromise. :P


Meka Leka Hi Meka Hiney Ho
Your wish is granted...
Long live Jambi...

Last edited by JediMasterJambi; 12-12-2007 at 05:33 PM. Reason: AIEEEEEE!!! + L
JediMasterJambi is offline   you may:
Old 12-12-2007, 05:50 PM   #51
El Sitherino
The Original.
 
El Sitherino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Planet Funkālnite.
Posts: 14,509
Hot Topic Starter LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Where do I have any blame in this? Explain to me.


“This body is not me. I am not caught in this body.
I am life without limit.”
El Sitherino is offline   you may:
Old 12-12-2007, 07:03 PM   #52
Jediphile
Persona non grata
 
Jediphile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk102
Jediphile, you were the one who brought it up the topic of PMs...
Actually, if I'm going to split hairs, it was Niner, when he said I did not use them.

But there is a difference between saying that PMs have been posted between people, as I did, and referring to specific things stated in them, as Darth333 did. I have not made references to the PMs between you and me, for example, even though I could use them in support of my position. Because to me those PMs are private and not for the board, unless both sides agree that they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk102
The vitriol described in a first contact like this cannot bode well for future relations and dooms any chance of constructively addressing the problem.
In light of prompt deletion out of the blue, I felt it was an appropriate comment to make, given that I was to accept Niner's humor as well. But it would seem I'm not allowed to have a sense of humor. Or to mirror El Sitharino's position: Is it my fault if Darth333 did not see it that way? For someone claims that I insist on seeing things from the worst possible angle, she sure did little to promote the opposite herself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk102
But that's a recursive question Jediphile. Eventually you end up with the answer "nobody" or "everybody" or "God" or something equally nonconstructive.
What significant point can't you say that about? Sure it could go that way, but it's still important to ask those questions now and then, even if you can never get a definite answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk102
I feel like this thread has stalled on rehashing old issues and confusing them with current ones. Would you like to make any further constructive criticisms or shall I close this thread?
If you do not believe in discussing these things, then go right ahead. In that case I'll have to conclude that discussions like this one are banned here and that the mods are above criticism and above the rules.


"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built" - Kreia

Visit my KotOR blog at Deadly Forums.
Jediphile is offline   you may:
Old 12-12-2007, 07:13 PM   #53
tk102
Well past expiration date
 
tk102's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,767
Current Game: FTL
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediphile
If you do not believe in discussing these things, then go right ahead. In that case I'll have to conclude that discussions like this one are banned here and that the mods are above criticism and above the rules.
It's not that I don't believe these things should be discussed, but like any good meeting, it should determine what action items are necessary so that the meeting may conclude. Otherwise it the meeting continues ad nauseum. (couldn't resist the Latin bandwagon )

In parliamentary lingo, I'm calling for the previous question.

What, Jediphile, do you want? The post that got deleted is irrecoverable. If you wanted to vent your frustrations, you've done that. If you're looking for some other recompense, state it exactly and it will be considered.


tk102 is offline   you may:
Old 12-12-2007, 07:24 PM   #54
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]
 
Ray Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: digital
Posts: 8,263
10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Nine
I had a whole big sentence by sentence refutation thing going, but I decided to cut out most of them, save for the most relevant ones I've left above. Jediphile, let me make this as clear as possible. As I said above, I believe you to be an intelligent and well-spoken contributer to the forums. You offer well-reasoned and insightful commentary to many different Star Wars topics. This is a very good thing. The other mods (RedHawke in particular, if you can believe it) can attest to my believing that.

Unfortunately, you also have a persecution complex, in that you believe everyone on the mod staff is out to get you. I know this goes back further than even your involvement with me, as you've had a few tussles with the SWK staff before, over pretty much the same concepts. Quite frankly, you are too sensitive. You take things way too personally. No one else reacts to jokes/friendly sarcasm/etc like you do. We do not have this problem with anyone else and I don't think it is fair that we must use a different set of standards/words/tones when dealing with you. Everyone is dealt with in the same fashion. You are the only one who has reacted in such a way.

Look, let me (myself and I; I do not speak for the rest of the staff) make a deal with you, okay? I understand that my joke made you upset and I am sorry that it did, because that was not my intent. I also do not think that the best way to handle it was to taunt me with it. That being said, I'm will watch what I say in the future when dealing with sensitive and heated topics. I am outspoken and blunt, with a very sarcastic sense of humor, but I'm willing to temper myself when dealing with potentially volatile situations. In return, I ask that you not take everything so seriously. Being hypersensitive to the point where a joke like the one I made is construed to be a personal attack doesn't really help anything. In the same vein, please do not try to take justice into your own hands and try to 'make a point', as this isn't the right way to do so.

We can continue to go back and forth ad nauseam, but that wouldn't get us much of anything save for more anger and frustration and other unwanted nastiness. I'm more than willing to meet you halfway to put our argument to rest. Are you?*




*If you are, please consider extending the same courtesy to tk and D3 and the rest of the staff. Like I said, they are not all out to get you and I believe they would much rather have you around as a contributing member of our forums.
I swear, this man taught god to be all loving! <3




Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediphile
Who does watch the watchers?
Hi. Name's Raymo, and to my left, jayston. We watch the moderators and administrators of LF.*







(*) The female ones at least, when they're naked, and under the shower, and they don't catch us, that is.



Last edited by Ray Jones; 12-12-2007 at 07:43 PM.
Ray Jones is offline   you may:
Old 12-12-2007, 07:49 PM   #55
JasraLantill
No One Liners
 
JasraLantill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Scotland, UK
Posts: 2,387
Current Game: SWOTR
The Walking Carpets Guild Member Alderaan News Holopics contributor LFN Staff Member Roleplayer 
OMG, Ray! That was you?


Veni, Vidi, Velcro. (I came, I saw, I stuck around)
___________________________
JasraLantill is offline   you may:
Old 12-12-2007, 07:49 PM   #56
Web Rider
Senior Member
 
Web Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: here
Posts: 1,768
You know, I've thought a lot about this issue too....and I have to admit it's the most entertaining thing I've read all day.

save maybe for that topic on how your parents told you "the facts of life."


"So if you go to Washington, it's buildings clean and nice. Bring a pack of matches...and we'll burn the White House twice!"

"Nobody's talking about extermination. No one ever does. They just do it." - Magneto

"Don't solicit for your sister, that's not nice, unless you get a good percentage of her price."
Web Rider is offline   you may:
Old 12-12-2007, 08:03 PM   #57
Jediphile
Persona non grata
 
Jediphile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk102
What, Jediphile, do you want? The post that got deleted is irrecoverable. If you wanted to vent your frustrations, you've done that. If you're looking for some other recompense, state it exactly and it will be considered.
I suppose I'm looking for some glimmer of the possibility that the mods might reevaluate their initial positions on matters like this one and not repeat those actions in the future.

For example, El Sitharino has bascially stated that it was fine to delete my entire post because he felt some of it was objectionable and the rest was too immaterial to be allowed even though it was on-topic. I have yet to see the mods actually say that deleted stuff just because they don't think it's constructive despite being on-topic is wrong.

Besides, it's scarcely as if there is much indication of progress here, which means we'll just be repeating this exercise in the future - if not with me, then with someone else. You seem open to consider this matter, and Niner certainly has with his recent comments. I don't know about Jae. But El Sitharino and Darth333 seem adamant that I'm just being willfully difficult and should go away or just stop talking altogether. I see little or no change there.

What I'd want is a restoration of my faith that events like this one will not occur again in the future.

Not deleting post with extreme prejudice would be a pretty good start. Actually taking complaints serious and do something about them instead of ignoring them in the hope that the problem can then be killed by silence would be another step. Talking to people when these things happen and actually listening to to what they say in return instead of dismissing them and hand down the verdict quickly from high like in a drumhead trial would also help.

Now, that's a conceit, of course, as there will always be issues like this one. But if the alternative is cynicism and rejection of any attempt at making progress, then the first option still seems better to me. Sometimes you just have to choose to be naive because the alternative is even worse.


"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built" - Kreia

Visit my KotOR blog at Deadly Forums.
Jediphile is offline   you may:
Old 12-12-2007, 08:06 PM   #58
Darth333
Administraterror
 
Darth333's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: In my secret dungeon...
Posts: 8,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediphile
Ac
But there is a difference between saying that PMs have been posted between people, as I did, and referring to specific things stated in them, as Darth333 did. I have not made references to the PMs between you and me, for example, even though I could use them in support of my position. Because to me those PMs are private and not for the board, unless both sides agree that they are.
No, you did say that we did not responded to you. I rectified the facts and have not posted the contents of the PMs except for the fact that you have insulted me, hence the reason why I did not responded to you the second time. When you raise an issue like that, you implicitly open the door to such an answer.

Quote:
In light of prompt deletion out of the blue, I felt it was an appropriate comment to make, given that I was to accept Niner's humor as well. But it would seem I'm not allowed to have a sense of humor. Or to mirror El Sitharino's position: Is it my fault if Darth333 did not see it that way? For someone claims that I insist on seeing things from the worst possible angle, she sure did little to promote the opposite herself...
If you find humorous sending a vitriolic PM calling someone a nazi and telling them that you have a very low opinion of them (and that was not the first time) you really have a strange sense of humor... Your PM was not humorous at all. Feel free to post our "correspondence" if you want (and don't forget the humorous title you gave it!).

We take complaints seriously when they are justified (remember that we did intervene in your favor too in the past). Unfortunately, we cannot moderate the boards according to everyone's whim (or should we add to the rules that people can call each other "nerd" except when it comes to some particular users?)

Edit: what RN said below.
Darth333 is offline   you may:
Old 12-12-2007, 08:10 PM   #59
Rogue Nine
Four Eyes
 
Rogue Nine's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 14,655
Current Game: Pokeymans
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Compromise requires two sides, Jediphile. We can try and promise things like this will not happen, but that requires change on both our parts, since the status quo has clearly not worked. If we're willing to meet you halfway, what will you give us in return?




have a suggestion for the lf poll? pm me
Rogue Nine is offline   you may:
Old 12-12-2007, 08:18 PM   #60
Jediphile
Persona non grata
 
Jediphile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth333
No, you did say that we did not responded to you. I rectified the facts and have not posted the contents of the PMs except for the fact that you have insulted me, hence the reason why I did not responded to you the second time. When you raise such an issue, you implicitly open the door to such an answer.
Again, there is a difference between saying that corresponding has taken place and telling other people about what was said in that correspondence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth333
If you find humorous sending a vitriolic PM calling someone a nazi (and that was not the first time) you really have a strange sense of humor...
I said "net-nazi", which you cannot take to be a stab at your political position, of which I know nothing. That is not the same as a nazi, despite your attempt to infer it, and while you may not like, your out-of-the-blue deletion of inoffensive posts without warning or provocation should be expected to result in a harsh response. You could have discussed the matter. Instead you chose to just delete stuff and then forget about it. What do you think that tells me about your respect for Ztalker or me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth333
Your PM was not humorous at all. Feel free to post our "correspondence" if you want (and don't forget the humorous title you gave it!).
I don't think "long live the dark side" is particularly insulting in light of the discussion. Besides, I did not do that on the open forum where you're rediculed in public. You could at least acknowledge that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth333
We take complaints seriously when they are justified (yes, we did intervene in your favor too in the past). Unfortunately, we cannot moderate the boards according to everyone's whim.
But you could apply the rules equally to everyone instead of applying in one way towards Niner and another towards me. "Equal under the law" is a fairly common principle in any most societies based on legal principles. I should like to think that goes for Lucasforums too, but I've seen little that supports that.


"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built" - Kreia

Visit my KotOR blog at Deadly Forums.
Jediphile is offline   you may:
Old 12-12-2007, 08:31 PM   #61
Darth333
Administraterror
 
Darth333's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: In my secret dungeon...
Posts: 8,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediphile
Again, there is a difference between saying that corresponding has taken place and telling other people about what was said in that correspondence.
By referring to the said correspondence and telling that we did not respond, you have opened the door to that. I was in my right to defend myself from your allegations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediphile
What do you think that tells me about your respect for Ztalker or me?
The only reason I deleted the posts (and I have already explained that to you and in the thread) is that you an him were engaged in a completely off-topic discussion. I did not gave any warning as I did not think a warning was warranted. I had nothing against you or Ztalker. I simply wanted to put the thread, which was an interesting thread btw (the announcement of an agreement between LA and Bioware), back on topic. Yet , you assumed that I did that with the sole purpose to piss you off. Instead of simply asking why I did not deleted RN's comment in your correspondence, you started to call me names and assume that we did that to oppress you. I tried to explain my decision but your reply was even worse...

Quote:
"Equal under the law" is a fairly common principle in any most societies based on legal principles.
First, this is not a state. It is a private corporation. Second, the problem is that you ask for special treatment.

Anyway, I won't be posting here anymore unless you have something new to say...the same arguments are coming back ad perpetuum and ad nauseam...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Web Rider
save maybe for that topic on how your parents told you "the facts of life."
Dammit I missed it! Where is it?
Darth333 is offline   you may:
Old 12-12-2007, 09:50 PM   #62
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,916
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
I don't want to hear any allegations of mods not responding, because it's patently not true. I've responded to your reported posts, Jediphile, and all I've received in return were insulting emails or PMs from you when I explained politely why something wasn't done the way you wanted it done. Dealing with that has been extraordinarily frustrating. And yes, I have copies of our correspondence back and forth. You've been the topic of discussion in the mod forum, so we've seen correspondence between you and a number of mods. I'll be happy to post some as proof if you'd like a reminder, and as examples of your behavior to us and our forbearance to you.


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may:
Old 12-12-2007, 09:57 PM   #63
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR
 
mimartin's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,064
Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
I’m not a member of many forums (four actually) so I may be an n00b for asking, but how many forums would allow a thread like this?

My opinion is by just allowing this thread to exists and remain open this long proves to me that the moderators and the administrators’ fairness and open-mindedness more than any mere words could do.

Do they allow other moderators to get away with a few things the average user does not get away with? Probably, after all, they do know each other, they have a working relationship and they would give that person the benefit of the doubt to their remarks being an attempt a humor. After all, they are human and that is human nature.

I saw Rogue Nine’s comments and my personal opinion is that it was funny. Of course, that is a matter of taste. I also felt it lightened the mood, which that thread sorely needed at the time.

As to deleting post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forum rules and guidelines
The staff reserves the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread or post for any reason deemed necessary.
By posting here we accept that our post might be removed or altered. If we don’t maybe we should not post here. I am not saying you should not post Jediphile, I am saying you should be held to the same standard as the rest of us users.


mimartin is offline   you may:
Old 12-12-2007, 10:03 PM   #64
tk102
Well past expiration date
 
tk102's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,767
Current Game: FTL
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediphile
Not deleting post with extreme prejudice would be a pretty good start. Actually taking complaints serious and do something about them instead of ignoring them in the hope that the problem can then be killed by silence would be another step. Talking to people when these things happen and actually listening to to what they say in return instead of dismissing them and hand down the verdict quickly from high like in a drumhead trial would also help.
Okay. We'll work on that. Thanks for your feedback.


tk102 is offline   you may:
Post a new thread. Sorry, this thread is closed. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Starwarsknights.com > Feedback > Lucasforum mods' hypocrisy proven!

Tags
nerd rage

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:44 AM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.