lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: burning vs vanishing
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 12-28-2007, 06:24 PM   #1
prince119
Lurker

burning vs vanishing

I know this has its own page on some websites, but I think it is important to ask;

Obi Wan dies in ep. 4 and is vanishes
Yoda dies in ep. 6 and vanishes
Anakin/Darth Vader dies in ep. 6 and is burned
Qui Gon dies in ep. 1 and is burned

Explain why Qui Gon is burned and doesn't vanish. I personally don't buy the "he wasn't ready to die" argument. I have to think that there was some form of darkness in Qui Gon which led to his cremation being needed.

I don't know, but the way he defied the Jedi Council every now and then leads me to believe that he may not have been in the best of standing at the time of his death. I am also not buying the "master vs knight" theory since Anakin was not a jedi master at any point in the films.

Anyway I am sure this has been debated before but I am new so humor me ha ha. Any other theories will be greatly appreciated.
prince119 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-30-2007, 07:47 PM   #2
herosinger
Rookie

I'm sure this has been discussed and debated before, but I'd say that Qui-Gon didn't disappear because he died defending a misinterpreted prophecy.

However, there doesn't seem to be any correlation between disappearance and ability to return in a vision. All four that you listed were able to accomplish that feat.

"We have not even to risk the adventure alone; for the heroes of all time have gone before us..." - Joseph Campbell

herosinger is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-07-2008, 03:44 PM   #3
Kain Darro
Rookie

Obi-Wan and Yoda chose to become one with the force, yoda at the end of his life, and Obi-wan when he knew he could not defeat Vader. No, Obi-wan was not cut down, he discorporated.

Qui Gon was cut down in battle in a sudden and violent way, and Vader was too much machine to just discorporate.
Kain Darro is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-07-2008, 05:19 PM   #4
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
George Lucas states that Qui-Gon hadn't fully learned the Technique, so only his spirit was retained in the afterlife, therefore his body remained.

Yoda learned what he could from Qui-Gon's spirit (Episode III cut content) taught this to To Obi-Wan and they both mastered the technique, on there death their corporeal bodies disappeared and they retained their full consciousness in the Force/Afterlife.

Vader also Disappeared shortly after his death,
Luke Burned his armor "not" his body, as to signify the End of Darth Vader, but the Return of Anakin Skywalker to the Light (Return of the Jedi)

adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-07-2008, 06:41 PM   #5
prince119
Lurker

Thank you all.........this has been one of those mind-benders on many a drunken night. GOD I'M A NERD.........I LOVE IT!!!
prince119 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-11-2008, 09:23 AM   #6
Nedak
Beelzebozo

LucasCast Jingle Composer Forum Veteran Hot Topic Starter 
Yes, I agree with Adamqd

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince119
Thank you all.........this has been one of those mind-benders on many a drunken night. GOD I'M A NERD.........I LOVE IT!!!
And settle down pal.
Nedak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars > The Cantina > burning vs vanishing