lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Need help with direct3d
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-25-2008, 06:19 PM   #1
pngnman
Lurker

Need help with direct3d

Ugh. Im trying to play my gavorite game ever (psychonauts) and this messgae pops up right before it starts that says:

The game was unabl to create the Direct3D device.
Please to ensure your video drivers are installed properly.

Can someone on here please tell me what I need to do to play psychonauts agin. I signed up to this community just so I could ask this question.

Whoops, I put this in the wrong place. Like I said, I'm new here. Could a moderator move this please?
pngnman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-25-2008, 08:51 PM   #2
Jove
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pngnman
Ugh. Im trying to play my gavorite game ever (psychonauts) and this messgae pops up right before it starts that says:

The game was unabl to create the Direct3D device.
Please to ensure your video drivers are installed properly.

Can someone on here please tell me what I need to do to play psychonauts agin. I signed up to this community just so I could ask this question.

Whoops, I put this in the wrong place. Like I said, I'm new here. Could a moderator move this please?
Were you able to play Psychonauts on this machine before? If so you made need to re-install your video drivers, but that's tricky and could leave your system without video.

Here's some of the standard stuff that's a little safer to try, but anything you do to Windows could leave the system unusable. Be warned.

If on WinXP be at Service Pack 2. If on Vista, configure Psychonauts to run in a WinXP SP2 environment.

Upgrade to the latest drivers for your video and sound cards.

Upgrade to latest version of DirectX.

Run Scandisk a few times, then defragment the hard drive.
Jove is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-26-2008, 05:09 PM   #3
pngnman
Lurker

Thanks, I'll try that. I hope it works!
Old 03-27-2008, 12:44 AM   #4
Jove
Rookie

Quote:
Thanks, I'll try that. I hope it works!
Let us know what you try and how it works out, please.

Don't forget to patch Psychonauts to the latest version.
http://www.psychonauts.com/psychic.htm

Good luck.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:20 PM   #5
pngnman
Lurker

Well, I tried to get the latest version of my video card (radeon X300) but right as the download was a bout to finish there was some erroe so it quit. Then, I tried to get the service pack and that also didn't work. I'll get the patch and see if anything happens. By the way, I don't know if this makes a difference, but I used GameTap to get my version of psychonauts...
Old 03-27-2008, 09:47 PM   #6
Jove
Rookie

Quote:
Well, I tried to get the latest version of my video card (radeon X300) but right as the download was a bout to finish there was some erroe so it quit. Then, I tried to get the service pack and that also didn't work. I'll get the patch and see if anything happens. By the way, I don't know if this makes a difference, but I used GameTap to get my version of psychonauts...
Get in touch with Gametap and see what they say.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:00 PM   #7
pngnman
Lurker

Alright, its all good. I bought psychonuats on ebay for 3 bucks! It should work now.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:55 PM   #8
Jove
Rookie

Quote:
Alright, its all good. I bought psychonuats on ebay for 3 bucks! It should work now.
I hope so, but it sounds like your system may be having other troubles than just GameTap. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:08 AM   #9
martmeister
Veteran

Current Game: FO3, G/2, DA, CODMF2
or maybe it's insulted that you only paid $3 for it. Tsk, tsk. Everybody KNOWS the high life of Psychonauts retail was the $9.99 Best Buy rack. Sheesh.

<No way you can read this. My handwriting's illegible>
martmeister is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2008, 01:50 PM   #10
pngnman
Lurker

Alright, it worked.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Psychonauts Discussion at Razputin's Domain > Razputin's Domain Forums > Whispering Rock Lakeside Chat > Need help with direct3d