lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: a feature that i prefer not even activatible if i were to start private tournament
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-30-2008, 05:37 PM   #1
Danfun64
Rookie

a feature that i prefer not even activatible if i were to start private tournament

Hello again, in normal times i like the feature in x-wing(dos) and x-wing vs tie fighter that allows you to set up other players profiles as AI ingame. but if i were to start my own turnament at home with friends, then i dont want the contestents even know about the feature because i consiterate cheating in the tournament rules. I know for a fact that x-wing(windows) doesnt have that feature, but what about tie fighter and x-wing allience? Can you please tell me the following games and versions of games that does not utulise this said feature? Thanks again
Danfun64 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-01-2008, 12:18 PM   #2
Wildstar
Can outbowl most of you

10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
AFAIK, in XvT, you cannot select a pilot (with accompanying pilot file) to be controlled by AI...AI just flies at a skill level selected by the mission ("Hard" mission setting will give you tough enemies and weak wingmen). The host in a multiplayer melee can set the melee to have a mix of human and AI pilots, but AI is not controlled by what is in a pilot record.

Wildstar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-04-2008, 07:27 PM   #3
Danfun64
Rookie

now for a different question

thanks, now for my second question. Here is how i want the tournement set up if we use a x-wing like system. We will use a ticket system, the optional pilot proving ground missons and all historical combat missons give you tickets if you win them. You can also get tickets by having good behavier off-game (real life). Sometimes you can even get tickets from successful tod missions with all the objectives completed and you dont mess up once (after the mission gets into historical combat that rule doesnt apply anymore) If you get rescued while ejecting in the tods you owe one ticket, if you get captured and want to be rescued then you owe 5 tickets, if you get killed, then it is game over. To enter the tickets ingame you have to get them off-game, then enter the ticket's code in-game. for Pilot proving grounds first couple levels are required to complete, the rest are optional. for Historical campains: the training ones are required to complete,bonus missons are optional. What game is the best for this kind of setup (i understand that it probably requires modification)
Old 05-05-2008, 11:04 AM   #4
Wildstar
Can outbowl most of you

X-Wing won't keep track of any "tickets", so you'd have to keep track of those yourself. If you have your pilots email you their .plt files after completion of a mission, you can view their logs from the pilot registration screen, but there is the possibility of chicanery, where the pilot file is backed up and the file restored from the backup if the pilot is killed or captured until the player can successfully complete the mission.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:19 PM   #5
Danfun64
Rookie

Angry you didnt answer my question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildstar
X-Wing won't keep track of any "tickets"
I already know that, you didnt even answer my question. I asked which x-wing game or star wars flight sim in general has the best setup if we were to use this system, even if it requires modification
Old 05-05-2008, 05:42 PM   #6
Wildstar
Can outbowl most of you

None of the games do it, and you're not allowed to modify the source code under the license agreement, so if you're willing to do the "paperwork" yourself, any of them will do. In XWA, remember you have to load the pilot file from the dialog you get by choosing that option in the launcher before starting the game. I would guess, however, that you might prefer another game over XvT b/c the two battles in that game are shorter than the ones in the other games (not counting the longer battles in the "Balance of Power" expansion).

Old 05-24-2008, 11:08 AM   #7
Danfun64
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildstar View Post
I would guess, however, that you might prefer another game over XvT b/c the two battles in that game are shorter than the ones in the other games (not counting the longer battles in the "Balance of Power" expansion).
So u r saying that battles in xvt are shorter then the other xwing games (including bop)?
Old 05-24-2008, 12:37 PM   #8
Wildstar
Can outbowl most of you

Yes...the 2 stock battles in XvT have 7 missions, which you can play best-of-three, best-of-five, or best-of-seven in multiplayer. But, thinking about it again, some of the TIE and XWA battles are as short, but the BoP campaigns are longer than the XvT battles.

Old 05-24-2008, 04:07 PM   #9
Danfun64
Rookie

i think xwa is out of the question because i think the graphics are too much for the computer i am using for the games (there will not be a tournament) the computer in question is using a low-end pc. It has windows 2000 in it. Think it will work with the x-wing games? (i got x-wing [dos] to work with vdmsound, i wanted to use the windows versions, if they are compatible with pd) also, i dont think x-wing and bop will be an option because of long missions. Time is tight where i want to put the game. Thats why i want short missions.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:54 PM   #10
Danfun64
Rookie

next question, (this is off-topic [bout tournament,not x-wing games in general] but this thread seems more like a Q&A now lol) you said the logitech wingman extreme twists right? Will this "Twist" compatibility work with the dos versons (using dosbox)?

Last edited by Danfun64; 06-01-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:52 AM   #11
Wildstar
Can outbowl most of you

1) XWA could be played on Win98 machines, so you could probably get away w/ playing that on your Win2K machine.

2) My guess is no, but someone could surprise me and tell me it does.

Old 05-31-2008, 06:21 PM   #12
Danfun64
Rookie

First of all the windows 2000 machine is my schools, not mine (i have a vista machine but hope to downgrade to xp someday) I have both windows and dos versions of x-wing. The dos version can run my joystick (I am playing the game with dosbox) but it doesnt utulize all features of my joystick (logitech attack 3) the windows versions has full support for my joystick. So i doubt it will work with twisting too. last question. Should i give the school xvt flight school (realistic gameplay, 1 player) or star wars arcade 32x (emulated of cource) (arcadish gameplay [duh! it has arcade in its name], 2 player) (the comp using doesnt have online)

Last edited by Danfun64; 06-01-2008 at 03:23 PM.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:12 AM   #13
Wildstar
Can outbowl most of you

If the school will allow it, why not give both? Not everyone likes a full-bore space sim like XvT:FS, so Star Wars Arcade would be an alternative for those ppl.

Old 06-01-2008, 03:22 PM   #14
Danfun64
Rookie

wildstar can you combine my attack 3 topic to this one and rename the combined topic to Danfun64's Q&A? (lol)
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars Classic Gaming > 2. Star Wars Gaming > X-Wing Trilogy & X-Wing Vs. TIE Fighter > a feature that i prefer not even activatible if i were to start private tournament