lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: XvT 3dfx help...
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-23-2008, 01:20 AM   #1
Peaches_dc
Rookie

XvT 3dfx help...

Hey all... I had a question about 3dfx for XvT:

I'm running Xvt and BoP on windows XP with a nvidia geforce 7600GS chipset. When I run the game with the 3d acceleration disabled it works excellent. I've recently gotten into modding the game, and I've added a ton of missions and new .OPT files for upgraded ship graphics. In order to run the new ship graphics 3d acceleration needs to be enabled. When I enable the acceleration, my game takes a dive. When I load a mission the frame rate is so low that it is absolutely un-playable!

I tried to remedy the problem by messing with the settings, but it seems that the only thing that worked was turning of the "diffuse lighting" option and running with "low" object resolution.

My question is this: This graphics engine is from 1998, so how come my new graphics card is not handling the settings? Is this a problem with drivers or chipset incompatibility?
Peaches_dc is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-23-2008, 11:03 AM   #2
Wildstar
Can outbowl most of you

10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
Which OPT files are you running? If you're trying to use the straight XWA Upgrade Project OPTs, they won't really work b/c they're meant for X-Wing Alliance, a later game. Some of the XWAUP OPTs have been converted down for XvT/BoP, however...look for the XvT Upgrade on the "Astilleros" site (English translation available on the site).

Other than that, try uninstalling, do a clean install, then enable 3D acceleration and play without mods. If you find what you described still happens, I'd be willing to wager that it's a driver problem.

Wildstar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-25-2008, 07:31 PM   #3
Peaches_dc
Rookie

Okay thanks. I'm using the XvT upgrade opt's that have been converted from XWA. They work, and they really look great, but I have this problem. I may have to try and uninstall it. I need to backup all of the folders that I've modified for new campaigns, missions, and rank names first though.
Old 05-25-2008, 07:33 PM   #4
Peaches_dc
Rookie

I've tried the re-install, and it still happens. Does anyone know what the deal is with the drivers? Is there a patch for this graphics acceleration to work with XP and newer video cards?
Old 06-10-2008, 07:46 PM   #5
SRQ
Lurker

Somewhere there is, yes a patch for 3DFX on newer video cards.
It's on LucasFiles somewhere.
SRQ is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-11-2008, 11:01 AM   #6
Wildstar
Can outbowl most of you

10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
That would depend on if he got BoP as a separate expansion or XvT and BoP bundled together. The latter package already has the patch.

Wildstar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars Classic Gaming > 2. Star Wars Gaming > X-Wing Trilogy & X-Wing Vs. TIE Fighter > XvT 3dfx help...