lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: BGamer interviews Chris Avellone
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-10-2008, 05:32 PM   #1
Pavlos
Scruffy Englishman

Current Game: Viking Warrior Poets
BGamer interviews Chris Avellone

Source The prestigious RPG Codex magazine

A Post Nuclear Blog has just posted an interview that Chris Avellone gave to the Portuguese magazine BGamer. Take a look for yourself.

"Also, one aspect to a good story (in games), is that the game needs to end and achieve some sort of resolution. Obviously, single-player RPGs hold the monopoly in this, but this is something I think MMOs have the potential to solve depending on how they structure their quest and story mechanics."

Yes... very important. The emphasis he places on resolution really shines through in KotOR II, doesn't it?

Anyway, it's a good read.

StarWarsKnights.com -- News and features will be returning shortly...

I 'gin to be a-weary of the sun,
And wish the estate o' the world were now undone.
Pavlos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2008, 05:52 PM   #2
Arátoeldar
Flame Imperishable

Thanks for the interesting read Pavlos.

Not all those who wander are lost.-J.R.R. Tolkien

I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it but by it I see everything else - C.S. Lewis
Arátoeldar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2008, 06:21 PM   #3
Lantzen
Aku Soku Zan

Don't be so bitter Pavlos
Quote:
If you could go back in time and change anything in one of your games, what would it be?

I’d probably drop a planet out of Knights of the Old Republic 2 to make the game shorter and more polished. In Fallout 2, I’d probably have dropped one of the crime families in New Reno for the same reason - the raider cave in Fallout 2 didn’t get as much love as New Reno did just because New Reno was so big.
But drop one of the crime familys, that i can't agree on would be a good idea. Think all do there part to the story of Reno.

Quote:
What is your most memorable gaming moment?

Within games I’ve created, I’ve been especially happy with the pregnant alley in Torment
Bah, that is one of the worse part in Planescape IMO
Lantzen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2008, 06:31 PM   #4
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Always an interesting read when it involves Avellone, though I think we know by now how he would've handled KotOR2.
Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2008, 08:00 PM   #5
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Current Game: KotOR II
When will Avellone say something new about TSL? He really is like a stuck record...

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?
Darth InSidious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2008, 08:04 PM   #6
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth InSidious View Post
When will Avellone say something new about TSL? He really is like a stuck record...
Meh, probably when someone asks him something new about TSL. I can't fault him for consistency when every...single...interviewer...asks the same handful of questions.

But that's just me
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2008, 08:07 PM   #7
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
No, that isn't just you.

One also wonders just what questions Avellone can answer regarding TSL. The list may be very short indeed.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2008, 08:28 PM   #8
Pavlos
Scruffy Englishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
Meh, probably when someone asks him something new about TSL. I can't fault him for consistency when every...single...interviewer...asks the same handful of questions.
Give us a little while longer, eh?

Old 07-10-2008, 09:04 PM   #9
Q
The one who knocks

OMG, OMG! You gonna talk to him again? You gonna talk to him again?

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Old 07-10-2008, 09:09 PM   #10
The Source
Rest In Peace

Contest winner - Modding 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth InSidious View Post
***Enters The Devil's Advocate***
Maybe Obsidian wants to move forward. Since "The Sith Lords" wasn't as polished as he wanted it to be, maybe they just want to move onto other things. When you have a controversial game on the records, I'm sure you would want to move forward. Plus, "Knights of the Old Republic II" is only a small speck on their company history. As they release each new game, the memory of "KotOR II" will fade.

Quote:
Also, one aspect to a good story (in games), is that the game needs to end and achieve some sort of resolution.
When it comes to Obsidian, I don't know what that line means. I'm afraid to adventure a guess of what they consider to be an ending. Maybe I'm wrong in my original assessment. Maybe "KotOR II" will have a long term affect on how some people judge Obsidian's games.
The Source is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2008, 09:16 PM   #11
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post

But that's just me
No its not just you. We should think of something new to ask him, if we ever get a chance to talk to him again.

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2008, 09:19 PM   #12
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png

Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Source View Post

Maybe Obsidian wants to move forward. Since "The Sith Lords" wasn't as polished as he wanted it to be, maybe they just want to move onto other things. When you have a controversial game on the records, I'm sure you would want to move forward. Plus, "Knights of the Old Republic II" is only a small speck on their company history. As they release each new game, the memory of "KotOR II" will fade.

When it comes to Obsidian, I don't know what that line means. I'm afraid to adventure a guess of what they consider to be an ending. Maybe I'm wrong in my original assessment. Maybe "KotOR II" will have a long term affect on how some people judge Obsidian's games.
your new font sucks

"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2008, 09:26 PM   #13
Q
The one who knocks

^^^
Seconded.

-Toker
Old 07-10-2008, 10:52 PM   #14
EnderWiggin
Sine Amore Nihil Est Vita

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qliveur View Post
^^^
Seconded.
Why the smile?

_EW_

Hello, Pot? This is Kettle. You're black. ~ Prime

Yes, I hate you.

J7 - thanks for accepting me as part of the 'family.'
EnderWiggin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2008, 11:06 PM   #15
Q
The one who knocks

^^^
IDK, because I was smiling when I posted it?

-Toker
Old 07-11-2008, 06:16 AM   #16
Pavlos
Scruffy Englishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev7 View Post
No its not just you. We should think of something new to ask him, if we ever get a chance to talk to him again.
Have a free sample:

"You’ve mentioned recently that you’d rather show something than have the player read it. People have kicked up a fuss about this in certain quarters of the internet but surely this is just an extension of what you’ve been doing already? Torment’s Mortuary is littered with imagery to hammer home the theme of circularity, Kreia is literally blind, and Kaelyn the Dove sees in black and white."

Any better?

Edit: And simply to join in with the smiling .

Old 07-11-2008, 09:10 AM   #17
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qliveur View Post
^^^
IDK, because I was smiling when I posted it?
There must be some hidden message behind the smiley! I'm sure of it. No matter, I will join you and Pavlos in this obscure smiling ritual.
Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-11-2008, 11:02 AM   #18
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Current Game: KotOR II
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Source View Post
Maybe Obsidian wants to move forward. Since "The Sith Lords" wasn't as polished as he wanted it to be, maybe they just want to move onto other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Source
When you have a controversial game on the records, I'm sure you would want to move forward.
More 'controversial' than, say, Planescape?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Source
Plus, "Knights of the Old Republic II" is only a small speck on their company history. As they release each new game, the memory of "KotOR II" will fade.
Doubt it. It was their first as Obsidian - that alone makes it significant.

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?
Darth InSidious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > BGamer interviews Chris Avellone