lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Duck, Sniper! (Lets be nice to each other :))
Post a new thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-07-2008, 08:43 AM   #1
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...

Contest winner - Modding LFN Staff Member Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Duck, Sniper! (Lets be nice to each other :))

In recent weeks and months I think there has been a lot more sniping, flaming and a lack of respect shown by each of us for one another in Kavars; I think we could all do with chilling out a little and re-establishing some ground rules.

I am as many may be aware am a big proponent of freedom of speech; I come from the John Stuart Mill line of thinking that an individual should be allowed freedom of speech and liberty - this should only be taken away when they do an action that causes harm to another. Mill, recommended that minorities with even evil or stupid opinions should be allowed to express what they think, so they could be shown up for what they are.

I think everyone needs to remember that there is a human being on the other end of a forum posts; and that even when they are irritating us with what we think is stupidity; all of us are subject to our own biases and faux-pas. (I also think that we all carry out hurts, and it is perhaps a responsibility of all of us not to causes these to grow in others).

This is at its base a post, saying lets chill and be nice - sometimes I think Kavars has become too serious, and while it is for discussion of serious topics, lets promote respect for one another even, if we strongly disagree with another's thread/post.

I think we could all do with putting previous grievances behind, and not wield an axe towards certain members on our 'hit-lists' - I think this derails threads, and makes the unnecessarily personal. So in the interest of keeping discussions interesting, I think maintaining civility towards one another actually helps in the flow of ideas.

In a letter to M. le Riche Voltaire once famously wrote - "Monsieur l'abbé, I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write".

And so I can be cryptic, my favourite poet Rabindranath Tagore remarked; "Emancipation from the bondage of the soil is no freedom for the tree".

Peace all, I hope you have a good day

"Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth." - Kahlil Gibran

Last edited by jonathan7; 09-10-2008 at 04:02 PM.
jonathan7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Kavar's Corner > Duck, Sniper! (Lets be nice to each other :))