lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Problems running Kotor or TSL in Vista....
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-06-2008, 09:21 PM   #81
Frinklin
Rookie

Might Not be a Vista Issue

Okay, after much trial and tribulation I have both KotOR and TSL running on my fancy new Vista laptop, and I can even run most of my mods on it. Yee-ha...

Except for one very small, very weird bit. I have a wide-screen laptop, and neither game works that well in full-screen mode. Easy then, we go ahead and switch the ini file to enable windowed mode.

And this is when I find that my swkotor.ini file is locked. I'm on a Vista Admin user, I've made sure it's not Read-Only, but every time I try to change anything on the INI and save it, I get a rather nasty "Access Denied" error-message.

Anyone ever see this before?

Kinda hard to win most elections on Anti-Family, Immorality and Satan Worship. This isnít Portugal
Frinklin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-06-2008, 09:26 PM   #82
Frinklin
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frinklin View Post
Okay, after much trial and tribulation I have both KotOR and TSL running on my fancy new Vista laptop, and I can even run most of my mods on it. Yee-ha...

Except for one very small, very weird bit. I have a wide-screen laptop, and neither game works that well in full-screen mode. Easy then, we go ahead and switch the ini file to enable windowed mode.

And this is when I find that my swkotor.ini file is locked. I'm on a Vista Admin user, I've made sure it's not Read-Only, but every time I try to change anything on the INI and save it, I get a rather nasty "Access Denied" error-message.

Anyone ever see this before?
Okay, nevermind. I got it. Man, it looks great, but Vista is a grade-1 pain in the but.

Kinda hard to win most elections on Anti-Family, Immorality and Satan Worship. This isnít Portugal
Frinklin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-07-2008, 07:22 PM   #83
Infradead
Lurker

*sigh* OK, here we go.
At the end of TSL, in the Trayus Academy, I keep finding these invisble enemies. And I don't mean stealthed, I mean they're just not visible at all. Thing is, I can't attack them because the game thinks of them as friendles. Instead of them being highlighted red they are highlighted green. If I DO try and attack them, the game crashes.
This makes the last part of the game kind of hard, as I either have to be very careful about who I attack, or just run through the entire area without attacking anyone.
Please halp?
Infradead is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-15-2008, 07:49 PM   #84
Darkspazz
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius Fett View Post
I had a similar issue, here's what I did:

1. Uninstall the game.

2. Insert Disc 1 and run the installer in XP compatibility mode and with Administrator privileges.

3. Follow the install procedure.

4. Update the game to the latest patch.

5. Download the mss32.dll file here and replace the one in your TSL directory with it.

6. Run the game in XP compatibility mode and Administrator privileges.

=====

It may also help to turn video and sound options down to a low/medium setting.

Okay, I've been having the same problems most others are having: Vista, NVIDIA, and TSL not playing nice with each other. I've kinda figured (I have practically no computer sense at all) that I should do the above. The only problem I have is that I've got no clue how to run the installer in XP compatability mode or Admin priviledges. I also don't think I'd know how to run the game in XP compatability mode, but I do think I can do that part with Admin. Any help?

Also, if it helps: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT and Vista 32-Bit.

EDIT: Actually, the only thing I need to know now is where to put the mss32.dll file and I'll hopefully be good to go.

Last edited by Darkspazz; 07-15-2008 at 10:03 PM.
Darkspazz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-17-2008, 12:11 AM   #85
Inglebraten
Lurker

Start>Computer>Local Disk>Program Files>Lucas Arts>SWkotOR2

Just past it right in there and over right the one that's in there.
Inglebraten is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-17-2008, 03:01 AM   #86
Darkspazz
Lurker

Awesome. Thanks!
Darkspazz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-28-2008, 10:16 PM   #87
Jedi Master Aagin
Rookie

for some strange reason when i play kotor on Vista it crashes if i go into a cutscene so im stuck permanently on dantooine and im positive its going to do the same for TSL.
what shall i do?

There is no emotion, there is peace.
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity.
There is no chaos, there is harmony.
There is no death, there is the force.
Jedi Master Aagin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-28-2008, 10:20 PM   #88
Da_Man_2423
Forumite

Current Game: NCAA Football 10
^ You might want to actually try with TSL anyway, so you know if the problem is isolated or not.

Da_Man_2423 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-29-2008, 04:59 PM   #89
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Have installed and run Kotor on new machine w/Vista (unfortunate, I know). Haven't gotten off Taris yet (beyond using D333s warp band) so don't know what problems I may yet encounter. So far, can't get cheat console to work (only need it to "turbo" the game, mods and KSE take care of anything else). I've noticed that the KOTOR cutscene fixer mod doesn't work (on my machine anyway), but got around that probelm using D's warper. Does anyone know which mods don't seem to work on Vista for KOTOR (1)? If so, which ones? Also have Nvidia 7300 GS OC and Pent. DCP E2180 and Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950(if that should prove relevant).

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-07-2008, 03:57 AM   #90
ianified
Lurker

Hi

I am unable to get my autosave to load i the onderon cantina or enter the cantina itself as i load in the place outside the canteen.

tried updating to 2.10.427 English, still hangs.

im on a vista premium, quad core
ianified is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-23-2008, 11:34 PM   #91
DarthVandar205

Im having trouble running TSL on my computer. I have windows Vista and I recently got a new computer. However when i start the program it says that something went wrong and the program had to close. When I run a scan of my requirements it says that my memory and video card are out of date but I have more memory than what it says and my video drivers/card are up to date. I would send one of those dxdiag files but I cant seem to find the program to do that on my computer. Anyways it seems to be the problem everyone else is having. I also tried it in compatibility mode with no sucess and also used run as adminstrator. I also had trouble installing the game previously so I dont want to risk uninstalling it.
DarthVandar205 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-23-2008, 11:48 PM   #92
Ganden
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVandar205 View Post
Im having trouble running TSL on my computer. I have windows Vista and I recently got a new computer. However when i start the program it says that something went wrong and the program had to close. When I run a scan of my requirements it says that my memory and video card are out of date but I have more memory than what it says and my video drivers/card are up to date. I would send one of those dxdiag files but I cant seem to find the program to do that on my computer. Anyways it seems to be the problem everyone else is having. I also tried it in compatibility mode with no sucess and also used run as adminstrator. I also had trouble installing the game previously so I dont want to risk uninstalling it.
Have you tried the Windows Vista Fix?
http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filef...ista_Fix;85439

Ganden is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-24-2008, 10:19 AM   #93
SpoonCake
Lurker

I'm sorry to post this but when I try to run my game it tells me that my graphics card driver is out of date and I need to get an updated driver. But I cannot find one for the card I have.

I have a duely laptop. The graphics card I use is ATI Radeon X1270 Color:32 Bpp running on Windows Vista.

I was wondering if anyone had this problem or knows how I can download a new driver. I've even tried on the ATI/Radeon web site but have been unable to locate one.
SpoonCake is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-25-2008, 02:36 AM   #94
DarthVandar205

Quote:
Have you tried the Windows Vista Fix?
http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filef...ista_Fix;85439
Yeah I did, it had trouble extracting the files. I beleive I was able to extract them but when I replaced the ones in the KOTOR 2 folder with the new ones the program still wouldnt load the game when I got to the start up menu. I still was told the program needed to close and that my specs still werent up to date. Since I had the trouble extracting the files im wondering if I extracted them all sucessfully or if they were recognized by the game. There was some kind of .ini file and a readme. I also got that new version of the msg32.dll (or whatever its called) file and that didnt work either.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:37 PM   #95
Ganden
Rookie

Quote:
Yeah I did, it had trouble extracting the files. I beleive I was able to extract them but when I replaced the ones in the KOTOR 2 folder with the new ones the program still wouldnt load the game when I got to the start up menu. I still was told the program needed to close and that my specs still werent up to date. Since I had the trouble extracting the files im wondering if I extracted them all sucessfully or if they were recognized by the game. There was some kind of .ini file and a readme. I also got that new version of the msg32.dll (or whatever its called) file and that didnt work either.

For the Vista fix, there should have only been 1 file in the zip file, which was the .dll file. The one with the ini? I have no idea what that's about.

Are you running any mods, or have you modified the executable file or the .ini at all? Sometimes people may have trouble when they patch the game to make it run in widescreen. I had that problem at one stage.

KoToR 2 on my computer also tells me that my graphics card doesn't meet the minimum requirements. This is the for the poster above you as well. I'm running a HD3870, so it's more than capable of running the game. I don't know much about that at this point, but I'm currently in contact with ATI trying to fix the problem.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:43 AM   #96
DarthVandar205

Quote:
For the Vista fix, there should have only been 1 file in the zip file, which was the .dll file. The one with the ini? I have no idea what that's about.
It keeps saying I cant extract/open the .dll file when I try to use 7zip to put it in the KOTOR2 folder.

Quote:
Are you running any mods, or have you modified the executable file or the .ini at all? Sometimes people may have trouble when they patch the game to make it run in widescreen. I had that problem at one stage.
I dont have any mods and the only changes I made to the executable was I tried it in compatibility mode and tried to run it as an administrator. I did patch the game to the 1.0b patch but I dont play it in widescreen.

Quote:
KoToR 2 on my computer also tells me that my graphics card doesn't meet the minimum requirements. This is the for the poster above you as well. I'm running a HD3870, so it's more than capable of running the game. I don't know much about that at this point, but I'm currently in contact with ATI trying to fix the problem.
My game says both the memory and the video card dont meet the requirements.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:57 AM   #97
Ganden
Rookie

Quote:
It keeps saying I cant extract/open the .dll file when I try to use 7zip to put it in the KOTOR2 folder.
Hmm... I'm stumped on that one then. Perhaps you should check the permissions of the folders you're trying to extract to?
Also, I suggest that you turn off the User Accounts Control. My Vista experience has definitely improved after I've turned it off.

Quote:
I dont have any mods and the only changes I made to the executable was I tried it in compatibility mode and tried to run it as an administrator. I did patch the game to the 1.0b patch but I dont play it in widescreen.
Well that rules any modding problems out.

Quote:
My game says both the memory and the video card dont meet the requirements.
This is a problem I'm seeing more of on these boards. I'll take a wild guess and say that some of the new hardware peope are putting in to their computers is too advanced for KoToR 2 to detect.

Old 08-27-2008, 03:08 AM   #98
DarthVandar205

Quote:
Hmm... I'm stumped on that one then. Perhaps you should check the permissions of the folders you're trying to extract to?
Also, I suggest that you turn off the User Accounts Control. My Vista experience has definitely improved after I've turned it off.
Im not entirely sure how to do either of these as im relatively new to Vista.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:41 PM   #99
Ganden
Rookie

Quote:
Im not entirely sure how to do either of these as im relatively new to Vista.
With the User Accout Control, check out this site:
http://www.petri.co.il/disable_uac_in_windows_vista.htm

Go down to Method 4, which is doing it via the Control Panel.

As for permissions with the folder, I'll have to look in to this when I get home tomorrow afternoon. You have to right click the folder and go in to properties, and go from there.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:22 AM   #100
DarthVandar205

Quote:
With the User Accout Control, check out this site:
http://www.petri.co.il/disable_uac_in_windows_vista.htm

Go down to Method 4, which is doing it via the Control Panel.

As for permissions with the folder, I'll have to look in to this when I get home tomorrow afternoon. You have to right click the folder and go in to properties, and go from there.
I disabled the UAC, unsurprisingly KOTOR 2 still wont load, I still get that program must close because of error message. I found the permissions thing in the properties tab but I dont know how to proceed from there.

Edit: I managed to get the game working finally, not sure how long its gonna last. When I disabled the UAC I tried to extract the patch for the vista update and it worked this time and when I replaced the file the game was able to launch sucessfully. I also used win xp sp 2 compatibility mode.

Last edited by RedHawke; 08-28-2008 at 02:39 AM. Reason: Combining needless double post...
Old 08-29-2008, 08:23 AM   #101
Ganden
Rookie

Quote:
I disabled the UAC, unsurprisingly KOTOR 2 still wont load, I still get that program must close because of error message. I found the permissions thing in the properties tab but I dont know how to proceed from there.

Edit: I managed to get the game working finally, not sure how long its gonna last. When I disabled the UAC I tried to extract the patch for the vista update and it worked this time and when I replaced the file the game was able to launch sucessfully. I also used win xp sp 2 compatibility mode.
Congratulations

Old 08-29-2008, 07:09 PM   #102
DarthVandar205

Surprisingly I was also able to use a number of mods on KOTOR 2, some I had trouble installing because they couldnt extract or copy the files sucessfully but they seem to work for the most part and dont have any adverse affect on my game.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:13 PM   #103
Ganden
Rookie

Quote:
Surprisingly I was also able to use a number of mods on KOTOR 2, some I had trouble installing because they couldnt extract or copy the files sucessfully but they seem to work for the most part and dont have any adverse affect on my game.
Very good. Perhaps switch your zip file program to winRAR. I can't say for sure, but it might fix the problem with extracting the files.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:22 PM   #104
DarthVandar205

Quote:
Very good. Perhaps switch your zip file program to winRAR. I can't say for sure, but it might fix the problem with extracting the files.
I had that program on my computer before and it worked really good but after a while they started charging me for its useage and thats why I tried 7zip instead because I simply needed a program to extract files from zip files and didnt need alot of fancy features or anything like that. If I get some money maybe ill use winRAR and see if theres a difference or not.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:18 AM   #105
Ganden
Rookie

Quote:
I had that program on my computer before and it worked really good but after a while they started charging me for its useage and thats why I tried 7zip instead because I simply needed a program to extract files from zip files and didnt need alot of fancy features or anything like that. If I get some money maybe ill use winRAR and see if theres a difference or not.
Right. All the best to you

Old 08-30-2008, 12:35 AM   #106
DarthVandar205

Only problem im having now is when I installed some mods for the Telos levels I cant get B4D4 to use his usual dialogue when I start a level on citadel station, he uses the normal dialogue he would if I visited the czerka offices. I dont know which mod is causing this and ive uninstalled most of them which would affect that area.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:36 AM   #107
Ganden
Rookie

We'll keep the discussion of this in your new thread

Old 09-02-2008, 05:20 AM   #108
sith_master2000

I hate bumping old topics but I have no choice. OK here's the deal, brand new PC originally running Vista 32bit, on which KotOR II ran perfectly with the Vista Mss32.dll patch file, but for various reasons I upgraded to Vista 64bit. Now KotOR II fails to run no matter what I do. I've tried multiple intalls, various different Mss32 files, running in compatibility mode, you name it I've probably tried it. Does anyone have a suggestion that I might have missed somewhere? Or is KotOR II dead to me unless I downgrade?

Oh and for the record, Windows Vista is single handedly the worst OS I have ever worked with in my life. And also unrelated to this problem I just thought I'd mention that my graphics card doesn't work properly because of Vista and nVidia's incompetence. Thinking of buying a new PC? Don't install Vista whatever you do.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion I gain strength,
Through strength I gain power,
Through power I gain victory,
Through victory my chains are broken,
The force shall free me...
sith_master2000 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-04-2008, 02:53 PM   #109
FOYY1222
Lurker

ok i am new and very nearly computer illiterate. i know that this has been discussed but i did not understand exactly how to fix the problem. running kotor on my vista has produced better quality visuals that are much more fluid than my last computer, but i cannot enable cheats. i know what i have to do and even know where the file is, but it won't let me save the change, because it is a "read only file". PLEASE have mercy and tell me how to fix this problem...
btw, Bill Gates is a loser!
FOYY1222 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-06-2008, 02:10 AM   #110
PepsiCola0613
Lurker

help with kotor 1

so yea i just bought a new gateway dx4200-ub001a computer with windows vista 64 bit. 6 gb memory an ati radeon 3450 hd video card with all the new catalyst drivers.
the new drivers fixed the lag i was having on dantooine.
but now i am on the become a jedi quest and when i go thru to the grove where you find juhani and my game crashes on the loading screen about half way thru.
ive tried all the graphics configs i can think of and it still happens!
i have tried this about 30 times now....and it still wont work.
as far as mods i have......
10 male heads pack.
all party is jedi pack.
realistic lightsabers pack.
multi kill and multi plague.
jolee is yoda.

and thats about it.....
is there anyone AT ALL that can help me!?!?
this game is tight as hell lol.
all i wanna do is play it with some extra stuff.....ya know?

i also have tried taking off all the mods but then it screws up my save game.......because of the male heads.....
but i wouldnt think that an extra head added in the game would make it crash like that......

someone please help! =]
PepsiCola0613 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-10-2008, 05:58 PM   #111
omnipace
Lurker

SOLUTION TO KOTOR AND KOTOR 2 RANDOM CRASHES, STARTUP CRASHES AND DRIVER STOPPED RESPONDING PROBLEM IN VISTA WITH NVIDIA DRIVERS :

This worked for me brilliantly and took hours to solve the problem, but the game runs wonderful now without any crashes. (Just don't alt-tab while playing, the game doesn't like it.)

PART 1 : INI file

Go to c:\program files\lucasarts\kotor2 and move swkotor2.ini to desktop, be sure the graphic options part is as follows :

[Graphics Options]
RefreshRate=60
Height=768
Width=1024
V-Sync=0
Anisotropy=8
Frame Buffer=0
Anti Aliasing=4
Texture Quality=2
Grass=1
Soft Shadows=0
Shadows=0
Brightness=57
EnableHardwareMouse=0
FullScreen=0

Sound options are as follows :

[Sound Options]
Number 3D Voices=16
Number 2D Voices=24
2D3D Bias=1.00
Force Software=1
EAX=0
Sound Init=0
Music Volume=85
Voiceover Volume=85
Sound Effects Volume=85
Movie Volume=85
Disable Sound=0

After editing the file if required, remove it back to c:\program files\lucasarts\kotor2 folder.

PART II : NVIDIA Control panel

Go to your desktop right click and open NVIDIA control panel, now to the manage 3d settings and select global settings, change it as follows :

Anisotropic filtering : 16x
Anti-gamma : On
Antialias mode : App-cont
" - transparency : supersampling
Conformant text clamp : Use hardware
Err rep : Off
Ext. limit : off
Force mipmaps : Trilinear
Max. prerendered frames : 8
Multidisp/mix GPU : Single performance
Tex-filtering neg. bias : Clamp
Tex-filt. quality : High Q
Thread opt : off
Trip buffer : off
Vsync : force off

PART III : Registry setup

Click start, click start search, type regedit, run it. Search for "_swkotor2.exe" (without commas). For me there were 3 entries and one of them is like :

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Cl ass\{4D36E968-E421-11DE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000]

Under this folder, you will find _swkotor2.exe entry. All entries must be REG_BINARY.

Check and add these entries :

_swkotor2.exe:D3D_16579523 01 00 00 00
_swkotor2.exe:D3D_30913648 01 00 00 00
_swkotor2.exe:D3D_60461791 47 67 41 08
_swkotor2.exe:D3D_94118636 00 00 00 00
_swkotor2.exe:D3DOGL_03385531 02 00 00 00
_swkotor2.exe:D3DOGL_12677978 60 16 62 51
_swkotor2.exe:D3DOGL_67207556 11 00 00 00
_swkotor2.exe:D3DOGL_70835937 27 00 32 22
_swkotor2.exe:D3DOGL_74095213 10 00 00 10
_swkotor2.exe:OGL_25631692 02 00 00 00
_swkotor2.exe:OGL_DefaultSwapInterval ff ff ff ff
_swkotor2.exe:OGL_ExtensionStringVersion 00 00 00 00
_swkotor2.exe:OGL_TexClampBehavior 00 00 00 00
_swkotor2.exe:OGL_ThreadControl 02 00 00 00
_swkotor2.exe:OGL_TripleBuffer 01 00 00 00

Close the registry editor, restart your computer and goodbye crashes... I believe OGL_ThreadControl is the critical point here. But to be sure I write all entries. Also changing all _swkotor2.exe entries to _swkotor.exe solves kotor 1 crashes, you may add them as seperate entries.

Also I changed my swkotor.ini file as follows :

[Graphics Options]
V-Sync=0
Anisotropy=8
Frame Buffer=0
Anti Aliasing=4
Texture Quality=2
Emitters=1
Grass=1
Soft Shadows=0
Shadows=0
Brightness=57
EnableHardwareMouse=0
FullScreen=0
RefreshRate=60
Width=1024
Height=768

PART IV : Bad TDR, Bad TDR...

This is an application for graphics drivers. When a driver stops responding, vista resets the device driver so the system continues stable. But the problem is old games sometimes stops responding naturally and vista thinks the game crashed. There is a fix for that problem incase your problem consists of this :

start regedit and go to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Gr aphicsDrivers], add a new REG_DWORD entry as

TdrDdiDelay 120
TdrDelay 60

Close regedit.

PART V : RESTART YOUR COMPUTER

Somehow these changes requires restarting the computer to take effect.

PART VI : PLAY YOUR GAME AND SAVE OFTEN INCASE

Start your game in SP2 compability mode. Old mss32.dll is required also.

The game starts in windowed mode, but when you changed the resolution from the graphic options, it turns to fullscreen.

You should try turning on frame buffer effects and shadows as well from the ini file (Just set them to 1). I didn't care so I didn't try. But you may if it is important for you.

The game is also buggy and rarely crashes to desktop after these settings so save often. Good game although, or may be best...

RESULT : NVIDIA Drivers somehow sucks... These crashes are not hardware or directly vista problem in my opinion. My assumption is NVIDIA drivers somehow fail to change registry keys of executable game files due to vista protection schemes. Manually adding them solves the problem.

PART VII : LAST RESORT

Change your vista theme to classic to turn off windows aero subsytem. Also close the sidebar. As an option use CPU-control program and direct all processes to CPU1 incase you are using dualcore cpus.

PART VIII : Feedback Please

I wonder if this all in one solution worked for you too. Don't be lazy to report your results. Many people suffering may benefit from this if confirmed to solve crashes... Even NVIDIA support team may take a note and try to fix the problem...

Last edited by omnipace; 09-10-2008 at 06:58 PM.
omnipace is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-10-2008, 09:04 PM   #112
Darth Avlectus
If Sunday you're free...

Current Game: Poisoning pigeons in the park.
I have an eMachines model 5274 (or something close). I'll check what issues on gateway computers K2 has since my brand is actually a branch off of gateway.

Have a vista with XP service pack 2 (I don't know why, probably to keep unrevised microsoft programs from having conniption fits--but whatever).

For what good they might do I have some reports:

K1:
Scan hardware reveals red flag on the OS claiming it is not XP, but plays anyway.
Everything else is Green, so it's a go. I got a really great sound system on it for my money. No issues there that I can tell. 2.00GHZ Intel dual core pentium processor.

Caution on video graphics card --I believe that, yes it is an integrated chipset family... PnP genaric intel (yes they make graphics cards too). Meets minimum standrards at least. Has trouble in the undercity of taris--turn off shadows and it will tolerate it--grumpily. With shadows can be a real pain, but it will work with a higher tenedcy of glitch and crash.

Else, It has its few loading glitches and a couple other small things related to that--nothing a good quit and reboot of the program wont fix.
"Running" animations for movement might not trigger sometimes. OTherwise nothing else is wrong.

K2TSL: Before the patch
I tried the 12-15 times opening just to get it to play. NOPE--won't even acknowledge the game after a double click... Just slows for a second and then ignores it.

After I Patched with the latest Vista-fix-patch at kotorfiles.com: it will open, BUUUT after character creation and the opening text crawl cinematic, I get a message that vista has encountered a problem with the program K2:TSL and gives me the option of close and find solution online, or close program simply.

Absolutely refuses to play beyond that point. I'm out of ideas and I believe I have all but exausted options.

Hardware scan Reveals everything is a green for go (strangely, even the OS) and only a caution on the graphics card.

(Shrug) Guess it's really finicky, even on the lowest graphical levels???

In any case, I have exausted all options except disabling sound... but I don't see why I should if my sound system passed with flying colors...

Maybe buy a better graphics card (when I can afford it)...I think my model may even accompany an NVidiaGE 8800... If anyone has any other suggestions, send me a PM.

Hope this helps anyone with similar OS and model.

---in fact, now that I have uninstalled K2, it won't even acknowledge the discs, or it will let me select auto run but nothing happens......Could my disc set be deffective???

We'll murder them all, amid laughter and merriment...except for the few we take home to experiment!

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy

Last edited by Darth Avlectus; 09-10-2008 at 09:07 PM. Reason: spelling errors
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-12-2008, 03:19 PM   #113
SpoonCake
Lurker

I downloaded that swkotor2.exe file in that zip folder and my game still crashes when I try to create a character.
SpoonCake is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-18-2008, 03:40 AM   #114
TSLwonder
Lurker

Hi all. I've been trying to get TSL and kotor to work on both my vista laptop and desktop. When i get to around 17% on first disk, i get..
Component: DefaultComponent
File: F:\data2.cab
Error: Data error (cylic redundancy check).

I get this for both games on both computers. Do i need to install something for this to work, or?
TSLwonder is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-27-2008, 04:22 PM   #115
DarthHK
Rookie

Location: I am everywhere, yet at the same time I am nowhere.
More Vista woes.

Well... I've been playing the Best of PC version on my laptop for months, now but last week it stopped working. As soon as I open the .exe it crashes. I've already tried reinstalling and using the alternate .exe provided earlier in this thread. (When I use that, it doesn't detect my Best of PC DVD.) Suggestions?

*EDIT*
Nevermind foolish old me. Turns out it was because I had to change my Depth Buffer Bit to run GameTap which I coincidentally got a week ago. :P

The more you study, the more you know.
The more you know, the more you forget.
The more you forget, the less you know.
So why study?
DarthHK is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-31-2008, 03:27 AM   #116
Christos K
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonCake View Post
I downloaded that swkotor2.exe file in that zip folder and my game still crashes when I try to create a character.
Try what I posted here if your GPU is NVidia.
http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=193438

"It's the one that says Bad Mother ****er." - Jules Winnfield... Describing his wallet, Pulp Fiction.
Christos K is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-06-2008, 11:13 AM   #117
sniper_lord26
Lurker

Need Help

I want to start playing Kotor2 but this keeps happening:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: swkotor2.exe
Application Version: 2.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 00000000
Fault Module Name: StackHash_fd00
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00000000
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.2
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: fd00
Additional Information 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
Additional Information 3: fd00
Additional Information 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

When I run the config it always says that my gfc is out of date, but it is not. My gfc is a NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT, and i just updated the drivers for it when I got it last week. I could really use some help here.

My Kotor 1 works ok it also told me the the gfc is not up to par, but is still runs.

PLEASE HELP ME.
sniper_lord26 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-06-2008, 11:50 AM   #118
sniper_lord26
Lurker

This is what it is telling me:

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...tor2config.jpg

I thought that this would help out in trying to help me.

Operating System: Windows Vistaô Home Basic (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1
System Model: GA-MA74GM-S2
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+
Memory: 2046MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 10
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT
Driver Version: 7.15.0011.7779
Old 11-10-2008, 12:48 PM   #119
sniper_lord26
Lurker

I got it to work and here is how I did it.

I looked at this thread: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=178099

I read though what some others have done so I tried the same.

I copied the mss32.dll from Kotor and put it in Kotor2, and the game started right up.

Operating System: Windows Vistaô Home Basic (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1
System Model: GA-MA74GM-S2
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+
Memory: 2046MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 10
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT
Driver Version: 7.15.0011.7779
Old 11-18-2008, 01:56 PM   #120
LostArkRaider
Lurker

Video driver compatibility issue (or other?)

Hi y'all.
I first ran KOTOR 1 on XP before and all worked fine. Since my old computer became quite unstable and hardware redundant, I switched to a completely new hardware set, P5Q, Intel Dual Core etc. Now I need to get KOTOR 1 running on Vista, and I'm encountering some issues.

The only requirement that is marked (with a yellow dot) in the system config settings test is the video card. After the issued warning it goes : (null) 4098MB. Graphics recommended: ATI Radeon 9200 or better or NVidia GeForce 4 Ti or better (128 VRAM).

I checked what videocard I have: an ATI ASUS EAH4850 series, driver version 8.511.0.0. I already updated the install version of KOTOR and set all .exe files in the KOTOR folder on the drive on Windows XP compatibility mode and I also tagged it as me being 'moderator'-(mode). Should I tweak anything for the graphic card or is it 'so new' it won't work for the elder KOTOR 1?

I managed to get past the character customization screen, and when pressing 'play' it first exited because of an error. When trying a second time to get past, the opening title video camle up just fine without noteable glitches. But when I pressed ESC to skip it, the error came up again.

Details (the specs were in Dutch, I roughly translated them):

Problem signature:
Event name of problem: APPCRASH
Name of application: swkotor.exe
Application version: 1.0.3.0
Datestamp: 00000000
Name of error module: StackHash_0774
Version of error module : 0.0.0.0
Timestamp of error module: 00000000
Exception code: c0000005
Exception margin: 00000000
Driver system version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Land properties-id: 2067
Additional information 1: 0774
Additional information 2: e26977578855e2637f4d717e90e466ab
Additional information 3: 1ac6
Additional information 4: 02c0455592725ced0ee0adf3523662e9

Read our privacy statement:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?link...3&clcid=0x0413

Someone got an idea to work around this error message or how to fix it?
Thanks a million !
LostArkRaider is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Trouble Shooting > The Work Bench > Problems running Kotor or TSL in Vista....