lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: LF Is Sporting Pop-Up Ads Now? WTF!
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-05-2008, 03:00 AM   #1
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
LF Is Sporting Pop-Up Ads Now? WTF!

While I understand the need for ads to pay for these forums, I think that annoying pop-ups that seem to bypass every blocker that I have installed are a bit too much.

I know, I know: I should use Firefox. The problem is that I am stuck using dialup and my accelerator does not support Firefox, and these forums are slow enough as it is with my connection.

Can something please be done about this?

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-05-2008, 04:06 PM   #2
RoxStar

Current Game: Everything Zelda
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
I'm not really one to officially comment on this but...

I have never had a pop up ad from Lucasforums. EVER. I've used Netscape, IE, Firefox, and Chrome. Maybe they are stemming from your dialup accelerator?
RoxStar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-05-2008, 05:12 PM   #3
TriggerGod

Helpful! 
I'm not sure if they work that way, but, scan your computer for a virus or such. I've heard that they can cause pop-ups like that. I know mine did when I got thousands of spam messages a week on my email that carried viruses. Couldn't use it until it got clean.
TriggerGod is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-05-2008, 07:41 PM   #4
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png

Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qliveur View Post
I know, I know: I should use Firefox. The problem is that I am stuck using dialup and my accelerator does not support Firefox, and these forums are slow enough as it is with my connection.
Use Firefox and install the Fasterfox plugin?

"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-05-2008, 08:26 PM   #5
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

Hot Topic Starter Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
Nobody wants pop-ups on these forums and there shouldn't be any so if you can provide information about exactly which advertiser was in them it'd be appreciated.

That said, I've never seen any pop-ups and I visit these forums all the time, I use Firefox, and I have no ad-blocking software of any kind. Has anyone else experienced them?

The only site I can recall seeing those horrid ads that circumvent Firefox's default pop-up blocking is IMDB.

Thrik is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-05-2008, 10:15 PM   #6
EnderWiggin
Sine Amore Nihil Est Vita

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrik View Post
Nobody wants pop-ups on these forums and there shouldn't be any so if you can provide information about exactly which advertiser was in them it'd be appreciated.

That said, I've never seen any pop-ups and I visit these forums all the time, I use Firefox, and I have no ad-blocking software of any kind. Has anyone else experienced them?

The only site I can recall seeing those horrid ads that circumvent Firefox's default pop-up blocking is IMDB.
I've never (in my four years of LF) received a pop-up.

I used to use IE, long ago, but now I use Firefox. I also have no ad-blocker at all.

I think it's just malware on his end.

_EW_

Hello, Pot? This is Kettle. You're black. ~ Prime

Yes, I hate you.

J7 - thanks for accepting me as part of the 'family.'
EnderWiggin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-06-2008, 07:22 AM   #7
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]

10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
I had problems with pop-ups despite Firefox 3 and Adblock plus and whatnot installed on a friends laptop recently.

The problem was caused due to some ancient Java Runtime (JRE 2 Version 1.4) being installed. I removed it and bam, pop-ups gone.

Ray Jones is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-06-2008, 11:23 AM   #8
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
I performed a full-system malware scan before I started this thread using fully updated versions of:

Avira AntiVir Personal
Ad-Aware
Spybot Search & Destroy
SUPERAntiSpyware
Windows Defender (yes, I know that WD is practically worthless, but I use it anyway )

They found nothing, BTW.

I did find out that these pop-ups are Flash-based and that I hadn't enabled SpywareBlaster's IE Flash killer after recently reinstalling Windows, so problem solved.

These Flash pop-ups occured during page loads only here at LF, and nowhere else.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Forum Help & Feedback Center > LF Is Sporting Pop-Up Ads Now? WTF!