Thread: The big bad Class discussion!
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-22-2008, 07:30 AM   #1
Ztalker
Saving the world casually

Forum Veteran 
Lightbulb The big bad Class discussion!

Right.

Let's roll.
2 classes have been confirmed, with a third one pending:
-Jedi
-Sith
-Commando

What classes would you like to see? Give a detailed description!

Personally, I'd love a Mandalorian Soldier class. They bring some balance in the game. They are Jedi killers and we wouldn't like to have 90% of the game's inhabitants to be Jedi because it's the strongest class, no?

So, I'll go ahead:
Soldier class
Trained to battle, trained in battle.
The strong arm of the Republic, strengthened by wars of the past, equipped with modern technology and weapons.

Speciality:
Jedi hunter
This Soldier has learned all there is to learn about the killing of Jedi. Trained to block all thoughts, trained to target the Jedi when he/she is weak. Armoured with cortotis this one is a force to be reckoned with!

Ztalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2008, 08:39 AM   #2
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

10 year veteran! 
There will definitely be a Bounty Hunter class, I have no doubt of that. I may even go with it, probably. IMO, Bounty Hunters will be loners that fight for cash whenever bounties are put up on people. Should be a good way to play without actually hugging any alliance.

There will have to be some sort of Rogue/Thief/Scoundrel class that will be skilled in all sorts of tricks and abilities. They will probably end up most valuable when adventuring with battle-geared players (of which I think there will be too many ).

Some sort of a Scout class, that may strike a balance with Scoundrel and Soldier. I'd rather it concentrates on speed, reconnaissance, scouting etc. It would be interesting if you can play as a scout and chart out an area with stealth and then sell the map to the highest bidder, with info such as treasures, enemies etc.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2008, 08:46 AM   #3
Ztalker

Forum Veteran 
Hmm...that would be nice indeed!

Or a quest line in which you have to infiltrate an enemy base using your stealth, map it and get the reward....that's not a bad idea, Sabre

Old 10-22-2008, 10:52 AM   #4
SW01
3 Years in the Lurk

Current Game: Real Life
I'd really like a military commander class. Either Naval (if space battle is included) or Army. Following the examples of EaW and BFII, possibly granting combat bonuses to their troops?

SW01 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2008, 01:31 PM   #5
Web Rider

It doesn't really matter. As long as "Jedi" and "Sith" are beginning classes and not sort of prestige classes/factions you can join later, then there's going to be a million sith noobs and about half of that jedi and every other class with have around a thousand. In short, it doesn't matter what classes there are, unless something special has to be done, jedi and sith will be the only classes that see play.

"So if you go to Washington, it's buildings clean and nice. Bring a pack of matches...and we'll burn the White House twice!"

"Nobody's talking about extermination. No one ever does. They just do it." - Magneto

"Don't solicit for your sister, that's not nice, unless you get a good percentage of her price."
Web Rider is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2008, 01:38 PM   #6
Ztalker

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Web Rider View Post
It doesn't really matter. As long as "Jedi" and "Sith" are beginning classes and not sort of prestige classes/factions you can join later, then there's going to be a million sith noobs and about half of that jedi and every other class with have around a thousand. In short, it doesn't matter what classes there are, unless something special has to be done, jedi and sith will be the only classes that see play.
That's why we are having this discussion. To see if there are unique thoughts to keep the balance. Or skills to even out the PVP balance? Invisibility as a Mandalorian/Special Forces class?

Old 10-22-2008, 01:50 PM   #7
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
He still has a good point. The sheer attraction of a glowing lightstick will be enough to attract everyone to those classes, not to mention every emo/wannabe bully would turn to the Sith class to role-play their dream.

If it's done well though, this could be nothing more then a temporary thing, meaning everyone would start out as a Jedi or Sith but after the game has a month or two of activity, many would realize that the class does not fit their play styles. After all, many would prefer gunning enemies from afar then charging in melee.

The most important thing here, in my opinion, is to allow bending of lore. True, Jedi are the all-around good warriors but here, they must be ''just warriors''. Neat little tricks unavailable to them, but available to other classes like say...jetpacks for bounty hunters. I know...everyone could technically equip one, but such restrictions are sometimes necessary.

We should also avoid ''counter'' classes such as Jedi hunter and such. I sort of sucks that a class would have an inherent advantage over another. I know how much whining this will cause...

http://www.marioramos.ca/ -A friend of mine and an aspiring filmmaker.
lukeiamyourdad is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2008, 01:51 PM   #8
SW01
3 Years in the Lurk

They should put in the Sith Assassin class that Atton was a part of - non-Force users that Jedi have difficulty sensing, and are adept at killing Jedi. That may begin to even out the classes.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:55 PM   #9
Web Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztalker View Post
That's why we are having this discussion. To see if there are unique thoughts to keep the balance. Or skills to even out the PVP balance? Invisibility as a Mandalorian/Special Forces class?
No, frankly I don't think balancing will work well trying to balance a soldier and a jedi/sith.

"So if you go to Washington, it's buildings clean and nice. Bring a pack of matches...and we'll burn the White House twice!"

"Nobody's talking about extermination. No one ever does. They just do it." - Magneto

"Don't solicit for your sister, that's not nice, unless you get a good percentage of her price."
Old 10-22-2008, 02:01 PM   #10
Ztalker

Forum Veteran 
Seeing the original Kotor games, why not?

At least in the games, enemy soldiers wore Cortosis armor (or a layer) that protect them a bit. In the movies and novels, no normal soldier does.

I agree with you that a Jedi is....logically stronger then a soldier, I have to say. Soldier is indeed not a good example. The Sith Assassin squad from Atton perhaps? Or just Assassin?

Old 10-22-2008, 02:05 PM   #11
Web Rider

Quote:
Seeing the original Kotor games, why not?
But this is why in the original games, you didn't start off as a Jedi, well, K2 you sorta did, but in K1 you got no force powers till you trained yourself.

That's how class balancing should work. You are a soldier, or an assassin, or whatever, and then you add jedi/sith aspects on top of that. That way the amount you sacrifice of your original class is how much you gain in leet force skillz.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:36 PM   #12
SW01
3 Years in the Lurk

I think you should have to meet certain requirements before being able to start advancing to a Jedi level.

We should all start off as non-Force users, or at least the vast majority of us should, then be permitted to advance after meeting (possibly high) targets in terms of combat, etc. or only at a certain point in your character's story.

Obviously, there would be a massive amount of opposition to that from those that cannot be bothered waiting (just the sort of people we'd want to prevent playing as Sith/Jedi), but it would , I think, go a long way towards balancing our chances.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:56 PM   #13
DarthMaulUK

hmmm Bounty Hunter. That was one of the best parts in Galaxies. Until it all changed. I used to love hunting Jedi scum.

Its going to be interesting how the character trees pan out. The one thing that set Galaxies apart early on was the fantastic skill tree. I hope it will be something along those lines.
  you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2008, 03:36 PM   #14
Jason Skywalker
Fight da Powah

Current Game: SMT: Imagine
ASSASSIN DROID.

It's like playing as HK-47 in the original KOTORs but in an MMO.
Jason Skywalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2008, 04:03 PM   #15
Nedak
Beelzebozo

LucasCast Jingle Composer Forum Veteran Hot Topic Starter 
Where has Commando been confirmed?
Nedak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2008, 04:41 PM   #16
Ztalker

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by han sala View Post
Where has Commando been confirmed?
Not really confirmed...more a screenshot.
Let's make that a link to a screenshot:
http://www.swtor.com/media/screens/trooper-opens-fire

And official site reads:
Trooper opens fire
Screenshot
10.08.2008 - A trooper in heavy combat armor takes down his enemy with a single blaster bolt. View More

Last edited by Ztalker; 10-22-2008 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Sweet jesus poor 56k
Old 10-22-2008, 04:51 PM   #17
tKon
Lurker

In the Q&A session they were talking about smugglers, bh's, and "criminals". None of this is "confirmed" yet, but what they were saying is if you've seen it in the movies chances are you will see it in this game.
tKon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2008, 04:51 PM   #18
El Sitherino
The Original.

Hot Topic Starter LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran LF Jester 
I'm gonna be a scruffy looking nerf herder.

“This body is not me. I am not caught in this body.
I am life without limit.”
El Sitherino is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2008, 07:18 PM   #19
Web Rider

Quote:
A trooper in heavy combat armor takes down his enemy with a single blaster bolt. View More
oh yeah, 'cause that'll really make the game balanced, ranged 1-hit kill weapons.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:31 PM   #20
RyuuKage

definitely be jetiise once...
RyuuKage is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2008, 07:14 AM   #21
Pho3nix
#rekt

10 year veteran! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Sitherino View Post
Lulz.

I'm hoping for a ranger/sniper class, hopefully with the ability to tame beasts.

Pho3nix is online now   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2008, 07:49 AM   #22
Tommycat
º¿º>^..^<

Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Sitherino View Post
Ooooo beer and pie for you

I intend to be a smuggler... if I have to role play it, so be it, but I will be a smuggler.

Smuggler seems like the perfect scout. stealth and speed things that benefit the scoundrel. and good with animals too. Cute cuddly ones... er... well walking carpets... sorta...

And NO I don't smell worse than him....
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2008, 01:17 PM   #23
Scars Unseen
Rookie

In addition to jedi, sith and non-force users, I'd like to see some other variations of force users added to the mix. How about a force hound, a force sensitive trained to track other force users? Pair one up with a bounty hunter and you could have trouble. Maybe go with a semi-class system where you have a main profession but then have skills that any class can train in(like various martial arts, minor force sensitivity or cybernetic enhancement) to diversify yourself.
Scars Unseen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2008, 01:23 PM   #24
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pho3nix View Post
hopefully with the ability to tame beasts.
I'm hoping for some sort of Creature Handler-esque class. I guess TSL had the Sith Beastmasters so it's not entirely unrealistic.
DarthParametric is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2008, 01:23 PM   #25
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

10 year veteran! 
I will probably end up some sort of a gun-for-hire or a mercenary, perhaps even a bounty hunter. I'd work alone and go about highrollin' the galaxy than be stuck with some messy factions.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2008, 05:10 PM   #26
Justus

Smuggler would be good, if they can implement it in the correct way. Like having some risk involved in being a smuggler for one thing. But if done the right way it could a lot of fun to play as.

Justus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2008, 05:24 PM   #27
LordOfTheFish

Current Game: Tomb Raider
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
-Commando

Woohoo!

LordOfTheFish is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2008, 08:17 PM   #28
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
There will have to be some sort of Rogue/Thief/Scoundrel class that will be skilled in all sorts of tricks and abilities. They will probably end up most valuable when adventuring with battle-geared players (of which I think there will be too many ).
Either the Smuggler or Exchange Operative classes. Or both.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2008, 09:23 PM   #29
LordOfTheFish

Current Game: Tomb Raider
Forum Veteran 
Sith assassin would be nice.

LordOfTheFish is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2008, 09:31 PM   #30
PaintOnASign
Lurker

The fact that everyone and their mom will be rolling a Jedi or a Sith only pushes me to level another class first. My class will be rare, and assuming end-game (even certain story events while leveling probably) requires more than just a Jedi/Sith, I'll be in high demand.

By the way, there was a clue as to whether you need to train your abilities, or you're a Jedi off the bat. In one of the interviews (This one) they inform you of what exactly you'll be facing as a Lv1 Sith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenTonHammer.com
Does ths mean you won't be asking Jedi to go out and kill nine rats or nerfs?

Daniel: Here's a great example. In the videos and in the concept art, one of the first things you saw was a K'lor Slug. It was very important to me to not create when we can take. Lucas has such a huge backlog of great, exciting stuff, so when of the first things I asked for was the art team to make the Dejarik set. The point to that is this: the K'lor Slug is twenty feet tall, horrible and can eat your whole face. That's what you fight as level 1 as a Sith.

The first thing you ever fight in the game is that thing. You never do anything less heroic than that. There are no bunnies. There are no rats. There are no snakes. At no point will your Sith be sitting down with thread and needles wondering how he's going to make a pair of shoes.

There ar a huge number of incredibly non-heroic things that are traditionally in MMOs simply because there was no contextualization to deny them.
Granted, this is about a Sith. But if you're ready to take on a K'lor Slug at Lv1, I think its fairly safe to say you'd be able to as Jedi.
PaintOnASign is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2008, 11:41 PM   #31
valiant20
Rookie

I want to be able to play as a Mandalorian Soldier, just because Karen Traviss's books contained so much Mando stuff, and I fell in love with the Mando culture.

Kandosii!
~Valiant20
valiant20 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2008, 11:51 PM   #32
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW01 View Post
I'd really like a military commander class. Either Naval (if space battle is included) or Army. Following the examples of EaW and BFII, possibly granting combat bonuses to their troops?
Not everyone can be a military commander.

That commando picture looks a lot like a stormtrooper guy. Or is it just me?

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-24-2008, 12:00 AM   #33
SW01
3 Years in the Lurk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev7 View Post
Not everyone can be a military commander.
Well no - but I have no intention of playing as the rank-and-file that gets killed in the first five seconds of battle!

Old 10-24-2008, 12:10 AM   #34
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
The point to that is this: the K'lor Slug is twenty feet tall, horrible and can eat your whole face. That's what you fight as level 1 as a Sith.
Yeah, but they still will only have about 6 hit points.

We need some Bith accordian players, and I'll come be a Twi'lek dancer in whatever cantina Sithy's scruffy looking nerf herder shows up at.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-24-2008, 01:53 AM   #35
Vader's Fist
Rookie

I wanna be a walking carpet!

Hey El Sitherino, I'll gladly be your Wookiee enforcer, ready and able to tear people's arms out of their sockets.
Vader's Fist is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-24-2008, 02:51 AM   #36
Web Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi View Post
Yeah, but they still will only have about 6 hit points.
yup. I don't see how they can go "oooo this is gonna be so tough!" nobody wants to die repeatedly at level one just to beat the intro critter. It's gonna be like every other game with a creature close to your level. It'll be tought at the time, but looking back, it'll be the weakest thing in the world. That's always one of the downsides to making a massive creature, if it CAN eat your face, why DOESNT it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW01 View Post
Well no - but I have no intention of playing as the rank-and-file that gets killed in the first five seconds of battle!
ooo! Oooh!! I wanna be a redshirt!!......

....not.

Old 10-24-2008, 04:14 AM   #37
PaintOnASign
Lurker

You guys completely missed the point. I was only answering the whole "training to be a Jedi" that's been thrown up in the air so often. Regardless if the creature will be easy or not, which I too assume it will be, the fact that you can take something down so easily pretty much says you're already a Jedi or Sith. Of course, I could be wrong, but we'll see.
PaintOnASign is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-24-2008, 04:30 AM   #38
Tommycat
º¿º>^..^<

Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Web Rider View Post
yup. I don't see how they can go "oooo this is gonna be so tough!" nobody wants to die repeatedly at level one just to beat the intro critter. It's gonna be like every other game with a creature close to your level. It'll be tought at the time, but looking back, it'll be the weakest thing in the world. That's always one of the downsides to making a massive creature, if it CAN eat your face, why DOESNT it?
Well I dunno, it might actually be brutally tough(without being insta-death). The real trick is how the character progression will work. I mean they have said that they won't use XP like we're used to. They have also said that character progression will be different. I know coming from an old style PnP RP background it's tough to imagine a departure from that. Maybe they'll pull it off. Heck it may be progression by finding holocrons or meeting some person on some quest, who knows at this point. I intend on figuring that out after the game comes out.
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-27-2008, 12:11 AM   #39
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
The one thing I'm interested to know about classes if they will do multiple Jedi classes like there were in the KotOR games, or just one class for Jedi and one for Sith. So far it sounds like there will only be Jedi and Sith as classes.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-27-2008, 12:32 AM   #40
SpartanPride
Rookie

That would suck. I want to be a Mandalorian

Hmm... actually, I wonder if Mandalorian armor will look any different in the TOR?

Don't let people make you feel stupid for being yourself; do what you love to do and what you think is cool.
SpartanPride is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO Forums > Game Discussion > Origin Worlds > The big bad Class discussion!