lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Sheriff Joe
Post a new thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-30-2009, 03:24 AM   #31
True_Avery
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles
My son had heard that if a U.S. flag touches the ground it is supposed to be destroyed.

He thought is was a curious practice, because "it's just a flag". I had to explain to him that some people had very interesting beliefs when it came to the importance of certain pieces of cloth. I explained what "the rule" was, but agreed with his assessment that the whole thing was pretty silly
I quite clearly remember having the same conversation with my parents. I got the symbolism, but overall thought and still think its silly.

I had no idea till today, though, that it was actually a crime to fly a flag over the US flag though. My feelings have gone from silly to flabbergasted, and just a little angry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycat View Post
Actually symbolically placing one flag over another represents which one controls the other. If you notice at the UN all flags are placed at (roughly) equal heights. Placing one higher symbolizes rule over the lower flag. Placing a Mexican flag over the US flag IS a slap in the face to the veteran.

It's all flag etiquette really. Either fly the US flag on equal ground as the Mexican flag or only fly one of the two. Of course it is considered rude to fly a foreign flag on another country's soil.
I can see the -symbolism- behind the idea that a flag being higher than another represents power. Completely understandable.

What I don't understand, however, is why it is apart of law when we seem to have this thing about Freedom and all that stuff. Other than pride, what is it hurting?

I mean, if Flag Desecration is legal why not flying a flag higher than another?

C'mon. That is just a little insane.
True_Avery is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Community > Senate Chambers > Sheriff Joe