lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Secret of Monkey Island - CD Talkie Edition Project
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-22-2009, 10:19 AM   #81
LogicDeLuxe
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jott View Post
The only real problem now are the false positive matches that are listed in the missing.txt....
I think, most of them can be avoided by checking the room number. Passing the -h parameter to scummtr adds a leading info from where the line comes, starting with the room number. Conveniently, most samples are also named with the room number.
Most ambiguous matches would be avoided that way. Only a few remain in cases where the same line is used in the same room, like the cannibals' "nothing.". And I guess, all the insults, too.
LogicDeLuxe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-22-2009, 11:47 AM   #82
jott
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicDeLuxe View Post
Couldn't we just submit a patch for ScummVM? Eventhough, it is no intended original LEC feature, it won't hurt to have this supported, I'd say.
As a side effect, this would also improve subtitle sync with FOA etc., since those have indeed the same issue.
Well we could, but it will not improve FOA with the current approach as FOA only uses one sample per line. (Well a mod could probably be made .. but I wonder if there would be any people willing to do so....).

Fell free to make a patch though :-)

Quote:
I think, most of them can be avoided by checking the room number. Passing the -h parameter to scummtr adds a leading info from where the line comes, starting with the room number. Conveniently, most samples are also named with the room number.
Oh! I must have overlooked the -h option. Well yes, this could indeed improve it a lot.
jott is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-22-2009, 12:14 PM   #83
jott
Rookie

Ok, with the hint of LogicDeLuxe it works MUCH better now.
EDIT: It also matches the interaction/script number now. So even less collisions.

The input file needs to be generated with:
scummtr -cw -g monkeycdalt -of mi1.txt -h -H

For the output it remains the same (the meta-info is not copied):
scummtr -cw -g monkeycdalt -if mi1new.txt -H

As usual the updated version at the same place:
http://helicoid.de/scumm/mkspeech.zip

P.S.:
Stupid question: How to disable the subtitles for MI1 in ScummVM? I have set it to "Speak only" but the subtitles still pop up...

P.P.S.:
Well the room number for Spiffy is wrong ..... hardcoded the change.
I also filter all "OBNA" lines now....

Last edited by jott; 07-22-2009 at 01:09 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:17 PM   #84
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
Quote:
Stupid question: How to disable the subtitles for MI1 in ScummVM? I have set it to "Speak only" but the subtitles still pop up...
You set it in the launcher, right? Setting it there doesn't do anything for me either. But when selecting it in the game it works.

Laserschwert is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-22-2009, 03:03 PM   #85
Espiox
Rookie

I'm aiming to get a working version of my installer up tonight to make it easier for people to join in and test the speech.

EDIT: I'm having a bit of trouble getting it to the run the encoder. I'll get this up ASAP, but it won't be tonight.

Last edited by Espiox; 07-22-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Espiox is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-22-2009, 03:55 PM   #86
LogicDeLuxe
Rookie

Quote:
Well we could, but it will not improve FOA with the current approach as FOA only uses one sample per line.
Well, I wrote that with single samples for multi-lines in mind. Thus what FOA uses as well. Depending on the subtitle speed used, it can indeed go quite a lot out of sync at those lines, too.
With joint samples, a short silence should be added at the joint. About 300 ms sounds fine to me in most situations. The voodoo lady would probably need a bit more when she is guessing Guybrush' name.
Quote:
Well the room number for Spiffy is wrong ..... hardcoded the change.
I guess, you could first find all matches according to room numbers, and after that, ignoring the room numbers for the remaining lines. Hopefully, those aren't that many.

Also, the tweak file should be able to exclude samples. As a curiosity, there are some lines recorded, which actually are never spoken. For instance, you can talk to your crew and have the option "Keelhaul: to haul under the keel of a ship as punishment or torture.", which has a sample, but Guybrush actually refuses to say this. Also the snoring sample is huge, and unnecessary, as there is already a much smaller sample for this in the game data file. (Unless, we want to patch that out in turn, that is)

And while we have patched scripts already, is there any chance we could fix some bugs which were introduced to the enhaced CD, but not present in the VGA floppies? Like:
- Smoke at Smirk's close up. Look's like the same graphic as the steam from the voodoo cauldron, and the smoke in the catacombs.
- LeChuck's shaking the grog machine animation.
- Consistent text color of the priest.
- White background at the sleeping dogs message. (This one was already fixed in the German patch: http://la-patches.gandimann.de/)
- Brown floor in the kitchen door in the Scumm bar (Also this one was already fixed in the German patch: http://la-patches.gandimann.de/)
- Navigator's directions. He rarely seems to look to the front or back, even when those are the only ways to go.
- Picture breaking in the mansion uses EGA graphic for some reason.
- And if we ask Dominic Amato politely, maybe the stump joke and the Charles Atlas joke too.

I would take a look into those issues, but I don't know how to use descumm and some script compiler for this. Are there any guides for this?
Old 07-22-2009, 04:02 PM   #87
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
Is it only me, or are there some audio-files extracted that are empty? Edit: Okay, it MIGHT be just a Winamp-issue with short samples.

Last edited by Laserschwert; 07-22-2009 at 04:56 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:10 PM   #88
jott
Rookie

Quote:
Well, I wrote that with single samples for multi-lines in mind.
Well still I assume fixing FOA sync is not trivial (otherwise it would probably be done already). I also think that the current approach is better, as the lines are always in sync this way. And I bet it won't be that hard to fix the problem when subtitles are disabled.

Quote:
Also, the tweak file should be able to exclude samples.
Yeah, I'll probably add something later. "x,y=-1" should do the job I guess..

Quote:
As a curiosity, there are some lines recorded, which actually are never spoken.
I really like the Guybrush_UnknownFilename_07 sample *g*

Quote:
Also the snoring sample is huge, and unnecessary, as there is already a much smaller sample for this in the game data file. (Unless, we want to patch that out in turn, that is)
Is it actually included at the moment? Only samples that have a matching text line are copied to the monster.soX anyway...

Quote:
I would take a look into those issues, but I don't know how to use descumm and some script compiler for this. Are there any guides for this?
Feel free to do so! I never played around with descumm so I can't help you there.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:14 PM   #89
jott
Rookie

Quote:
I guess, you could first find all matches according to room numbers, and after that, ignoring the room numbers for the remaining lines. Hopefully, those aren't that many?
Well now it only matches if the room number is correct. I think there are really few rooms that do not match, so it's probably not worth the effort to add extra logic there.

The remaining lines are mostly the sword fight scenes.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:26 PM   #90
LogicDeLuxe
Rookie

Quote:
Is it actually included at the moment? Only samples that have a matching text line are copied to the monster.soX anyway...
I didn't check yet. The one at the brig has the snoring subtitled, so I assumed it is.

After some testing, I see that including the remaining sounds which didn't match a room would not only useful for the new Spiffy room (which seems to work, btw.), but also those which had variables in it. Those are currently silent.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:50 PM   #91
Espiox
Rookie

I'm trying to use the new mkspeech tool, but when I put the mi1new.txt file back into the game, scummtr says: ERROR: NULL char in line 0. What am I doing wrong?
Espiox is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-22-2009, 05:07 PM   #92
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
When adding the -I flag to scummtr.exe when creating the mi1.txt-file, it adds a hex-value to each line... what is this? Does it help mapping the files?

Old 07-22-2009, 05:23 PM   #93
cocomonk22
Rookie

-I adds the opcode that initiates the text. For instance, D8 is used for printEgo (Guybrush talking), FA is for dialogue options, and 14 is for print (everyone else talking).

Last edited by cocomonk22; 04-04-2010 at 12:00 AM.
cocomonk22 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-22-2009, 05:28 PM   #94
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
Doesn't this already help pulling Guybrush's lines out of the swordfighting lines?

Old 07-22-2009, 05:36 PM   #95
cocomonk22
Rookie

Not really, as Guybrush's insults are in the normal place while I moved the pirates lines to the last room. Guybrush's insults have opcode 27.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:19 PM   #96
jott
Rookie

Ok, I updated the tool again.
Now it should fall back to the next best line when the room does not match...

I'm not sure how much more time I will/can put into this...... well.... the source code is as always included. And I cleaned the code up at least a little bit.

Also a value of -2 in the mapping.txt should ignore the sample for the line... i.e. "66,1=-2". But this is untested.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:39 AM   #97
SyntheticGerbil
Pasta Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserschwert View Post
I think the ultimate batch-file would contain a few questions first, including music replacement yes/no, narrator inclusion yes/no, Spiffy inclusion yes/no and so forth (I don't know if that last one is happening though).

And even better than having it just as a batch file would be a nice GUI for it... although of course I've got no idea how to do that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocomonk22 View Post
I included my Spiffy addition with the patches I sent to Espiox. That's what SCUMM Image Encoder was for. I also had to create a new room for the Spiffy closeup scene.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6K8Ckzg9bI
This is all such great news! I'm looking forward to it!
SyntheticGerbil is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-24-2009, 03:23 AM   #98
LogicDeLuxe
Rookie

I've written a dialog line splitter: (outdated version)
It's not throughoutly tested yet. And there are at least these known bugs:
- Concerning 000_LECF\030_LFLF_store\000_ROOM\050_LSCR.dmp and 000_LECF\083_LFLF_cu-dock\000_ROOM\032_LSCR.dmp as mentioned here: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthrea...59#post2654259
- scummtr reports some bad jumps.

You need to run scummpacker first. Then you need descumm, scummbler and this zip extracted in the same dir. Run dialogsplitter.bat and wait.

Last edited by LogicDeLuxe; 07-26-2009 at 01:17 PM.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:12 PM   #99
cocomonk22
Rookie

I think splitting the dialogue is the way to go, as that will enable the game to work properly with subtitles off.

EDIT: Jestar Jokin updated Scummbler, so now there are now errors on extracting the text with scummtr! We just need to get the audio matched with the right lines.

EDIT2: The dialogue splitter messed up Spiffy's text position after his first line, so I'm making a new patch now.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:45 AM   #100
LogicDeLuxe
Rookie

Quote:
EDIT2: The dialogue splitter messed up Spiffy's text position after his first line, so I'm making a new patch now.
Not only Spiffy's. I have to check what causes it. You better not working with the split patch, until this issue is solved.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:04 AM   #101
cocomonk22
Rookie

OK, I'll leave it as is then.

You have to modify the splitter's output if the print command has position parameters:

Here's the original:
(14) print(255,[Pos(240,8),Text("--LeChuck!^255^3GRRRRRRRRR!^255^3Arf, oo
f-oof, Monkey Island^15!^255^3*sniff* *sniff*")]);
(AE) WaitForMessage()

After split:
(14) print(255,[Pos(240,8),Text("--LeChuck!")]);
(AE) WaitForMessage()
(14) print(255,[Text("GRRRRRRRRR!")]);
(AE) WaitForMessage()
(14) print(255,[Text("Arf, oof-oof, Monkey Island^15!")]);
(AE) WaitForMessage()
(14) print(255,[Text("*sniff* *sniff*")]);
(AE) WaitForMessage()

EDIT: Regarding completely new music where there wasn't any before:
For additional music, the SE added background sounds to certain scenes. We could add this to the CD version by creating new SOUN starting at 099_LFLF_icons\009_SOUN_130.dmp. SOUN works as follows:

Values from offsets 0-23 (0x00-0x17) are all the same, so just copy data from an existing SOUN.
At offset 24 (0x18) track number in hex format (for new music not in original start with track decimal 24 or hex 18).
At offset 25 (0x19) seems to be loop, opening uses 01, scummbar uses ff.
The six remaining values 26-31 (0x1a-0x1f) are all 00 if you want the music to start at the beginning of the track.

An example of music not starting at the beginning:
The scene at the lookout following the intro uses the same music as the opening, but starts at position 1 min 36 sec. Hex values are 01 23 30 00 00 00. 01 23 30 is equivalent to 1 35 48 in decimal.

We would start the music by using startSound(130) or whatever number our SOUN is. To avoid problems we could use
VAR_RESULT = isSoundRunning(130)
if (!VAR_RESULT) {
startSound(130)
}
in the ENCD of the room.

Stopping the music is a bit more difficult, as you have to add a stopSound(130) for every script in the room that leaves the room. A possible problem I can see is on the dock with Guybrush and Elaine when their theme plays on the dock: it should be fine if we stop the dock ambient sound before the Guybrush and Elain theme plays.

Last edited by cocomonk22; 04-03-2010 at 11:59 PM.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:00 AM   #102
LogicDeLuxe
Rookie

Quote:
You have to modify the splitter's output if the print command has position parameters
I just noticed this. Now, splitlines copies everything between "print" and "Text" to each new line. I hope, this fixes it: (outdated version)

And you should check the script 155 thing in your patch: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthrea...71#post2654771

Last edited by LogicDeLuxe; 07-26-2009 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:11 AM   #103
cocomonk22
Rookie

Fixed patch: http://www.mediafire.com/?yymeyajyzh1
What happened was I inserted a hex value when I should have overwritten.

EDIT: I just tested the updated splitter, and the Spiffy lines are in the correct positions now.

Last edited by cocomonk22; 04-03-2010 at 11:59 PM.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:21 AM   #104
LogicDeLuxe
Rookie

Still, my linesplitter doesn't seem to give the expected results. When looking at the rubber chicken, Guybrush only says "Hmmm...". He should continue with "A rubber chicken with a pulley in the middle", but he doesn't. Any idea what causes the issue?
The original script looks like this:
Code:
Events:
   7 - 00CE
   8 - 0024
   9 - 009B
  5A - 0018
  5B - 001E
[0018] (1A) Var[182] = 8;
[001D] (00) stopObjectCode()
[001E] (1A) Var[376] = 961;
[0023] (00) stopObjectCode()
[0024] (D8) printEgo([Text("Hmmm...^255^3A rubber chicken with a pulley in the middle^^255^3What possible use could that have?")]);
[0081] (AE) WaitForMessage()
[0083] (54) setObjectName(377,"rubber chicken")
[0095] (14) print(255,[Text(" ")]);
[009A] (00) stopObjectCode()
And my tool changes it to:
Code:
Events:
   7 - 00CE
   8 - 0024
   9 - 009B
  5A - 0018
  5B - 001E
[0018] (1A) Var[182] = 8;
[001D] (00) stopObjectCode()
[001E] (1A) Var[376] = 961;
[0023] (00) stopObjectCode()
[0024] (D8) printEgo([Text("Hmmm...")]);
WaitForMessage()
printEgo([Text("A rubber chicken with a pulley in the middle^")]);
WaitForMessage()
printEgo([Text("What possible use could that have?")]);
[0081] (AE) WaitForMessage()
[0083] (54) setObjectName(377,"rubber chicken")
[0095] (14) print(255,[Text(" ")]);
[009A] (00) stopObjectCode()
Old 07-25-2009, 08:30 AM   #105
cocomonk22
Rookie

Strange... The first time you look at it, he says the whole message, but if you look at it again, he'll just say "Hmmm..."

EDIT: And if you look at it and then immediately click to start walking around, he says the whole message again... This could have something to do with it being in a VERB. Or it could have something to do with the Event specification. I would test it without any WaitForMessage() between the lines and see if that works.

Last edited by cocomonk22; 04-03-2010 at 11:58 PM.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:43 AM   #106
TheJoe
Rookie

Quote:
Here is a little tool that looks up strings from the speech.info and a mi1.txt (scummtr.exe -w -g monkeycdalt -of mi1.txt -H) in the same dir and outputs a "match.bat" with "ren sample.mp3 linennumber_sample.mp3". It splits up multiple lines (\0xff\0x03).

It's a *very* dirty hack but should do the job.

http://helicoid.de/scumm/mkspeech.zip

This can be used as a starting point for generating a monster.sou - even with multiple lines like LogicDeLuxe proposes.
Why did we not have this tool for MISP!
TheJoe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-25-2009, 08:45 AM   #107
cocomonk22
Rookie

We didn't have that tool for MISP because there was no speech.info since the SE hadn't come out or been released.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:00 AM   #108
LogicDeLuxe
Rookie

Quote:
I would test it without any WaitForMessage() between the lines and see if that works.
Unsurprisingly, it skips right to "What possible use could that have?" then.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:22 PM   #109
cocomonk22
Rookie

EDIT3: It now works perfectly! Cutscene 2 (Guybrush reading the re-elect Governor Marley poster) is used to keep verb menu visible and keep the camera in the same position. CursorShow() is used to keep the cursor visible during the cutscene. UserputOn() is used to enable user input (clicking, keys, etc.) during cutscene. The earliest the cutscene can end without messing up Guybrush's lines is after the first WaitForMessage(). Now the behavior to the user is exactly the same as normal, you can click on other objects during Guybrush's lines, you can walk around, you can use other verbs, etc.
Code:
[0024] cutscene([2])
CursorShow()
UserputOn()
printEgo([Text("Hmmm...")]);
WaitForMessage()
endCutscene()
[0030] (D8) printEgo([Text("A rubber chicken with a pulley in the middle^")]);
WaitForMessage()
[0062] (D8) printEgo([Text("What possible use could that have?")]);
WaitForMessage()
[0089] (54) setObjectName(377,"rubber chicken")
[009B] (14) print(255,[Text(" ")]);
[00A0] (00) stopObjectCode()
The only problems with the dialog splitter are with verbs, right? If so, just use these modifications when splitting lines only in ???_VERB.dmp files.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:06 AM   #110
LogicDeLuxe
Rookie

Quote:
EDIT3: It now works perfectly!
Unfortunately not. Still "What possible use could that have?" is missing sometimes. Well, that can be solved by placing endCutscene() after that line, so not a big deal.

But worse, you can easily get errors like "Object 377 stopped with active cutscene/override!" when clicking around without letting Guybrush finish his text first.
I think, letting the controls disabled during his lines is a better idea. Just like with the election poster. Unless, you have a better idea.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:31 AM   #111
cocomonk22
Rookie

OK, I have a better idea:
Code:
[0024] cutscene([2])
CursorShow()
UserputOn()
beginOverride
goto end
printEgo([Text("Hmmm...")]);
WaitForMessage()
[0030] (D8) printEgo([Text("A rubber chicken with a pulley in the middle^")]);
WaitForMessage()
[0062] (D8) printEgo([Text("What possible use could that have?")]);
WaitForMessage()
[end] endCutscene()
[0089] (54) setObjectName(377,"rubber chicken")
[009B] (14) print(255,[Text(" ")]);
[00A0] (00) stopObjectCode()
Cutscene ends after the last line, and I've added options to handle override so that error won't occur anymore. User can still click around, but can't use any verbs until Guybrush finishes talking.

Last edited by cocomonk22; 04-03-2010 at 11:57 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:58 AM   #112
jestar_jokin
Rookie

Quote:
Stopping the music is a bit more difficult, as you have to add a stopSound(130) for every script in the room that leaves the room.
Each room contains an ENCD (room entry) and EXCD (room exit) script. I believe you could modify the single EXCD script to stop the music whenever the room is exited.
jestar_jokin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-26-2009, 09:02 AM   #113
cocomonk22
Rookie

Hopefully that's the case. I was just looking at the scummbar as an example, and it didn't have a stopSound in the EXCD, just in scripts leaving the room for whatever reason.

Last edited by cocomonk22; 04-03-2010 at 11:57 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:02 AM   #114
jestar_jokin
Rookie

Quote:
Hopefully that's the case. I was just looking at the scummbar as an example, and it didn't have a stopSound in the EXCD, just in scripts leaving the room for whatever reason.
I'm only guessing, but maybe because whenever you enter a conversation with one of the patrons, it zooms to a close-up, which is actually a new room, and the music is supposed to continue playing in those cases.
jestar_jokin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-26-2009, 01:15 PM   #115
LogicDeLuxe
Rookie

Quote:
Cutscene ends after the last line, and I've added options to handle override so that error won't occur anymore. User can still click around, but can't use any verbs until Guybrush finishes talking.
Nice theory, but unfortunately not accurate. Just look at the chicken while Guybrush is still saying the chicken text: error.

The way I implemented it now, you'll get controls back as soon as Guybrush starts the last line in a VERB script. I hope there are no tricky jumping, as my tool currently only detects cutscenes when they are in order. It does only set this cutscene stuff if the text isn't already in a cutscene, and if it is a VERB script. Let's hope, this works now as expected.
dialogsplitter.zip - 0.01MB

Last edited by LogicDeLuxe; 07-26-2009 at 01:22 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:10 PM   #116
LogicDeLuxe
Rookie

Smirk's cigar can be easily fixed by replacing "[0000] (13) ActorOps(12,[Costume(0)]);" with "[0000] (13) ActorOps(12,[Costume(76)]);" in 000_LECF\076_LFLF_cu-traine\000_ROOM\022_ENCD.dmp
Old 07-26-2009, 04:12 PM   #117
jott
Rookie

I wonder if it would be easier to patch ScummVM instead of messing with nearly all scripts.....
Old 07-26-2009, 05:34 PM   #118
cocomonk22
Rookie

I'd rather apply patches to the game itself so it can be compatible with all ScummVM ports.

Last edited by cocomonk22; 04-03-2010 at 11:56 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:17 PM   #119
cocomonk22
Rookie

Quote:
The way I implemented it now, you'll get controls back as soon as Guybrush starts the last line in a VERB script. I hope there are no tricky jumping, as my tool currently only detects cutscenes when they are in order. It does only set this cutscene stuff if the text isn't already in a cutscene, and if it is a VERB script. Let's hope, this works now as expected.
Looks good, however, could you add in CursorShow() right after cutscene[2] and before beginOverride to make it less obvious that we're using a cutscene for this?

EDIT: Here's an updated version of dialog splitter with the CursorShow() change added back in:

Last edited by cocomonk22; 04-03-2010 at 11:56 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:50 AM   #120
LogicDeLuxe
Rookie

So, since it is running fine now, we need to release an official script patch in order to build a mapping.txt which is compatible for everyone.
Some bugfixes are still possible, as long as no text is changed.

So is the stump joke wanted in? Someone at mixnmojo apparently did have contact with Dominic Amarto and he did some lines for the 2002's April fools joke back then. I can't find the news page of it anymore, so I don't know who it was.
The stump joke lines are:
Quote:
"Hey!"
"There's a hole at the base of this stump!"
"Wow! It's a tunnel that opens onto a system of catacombs!"
"I think I can squeeze through--"
(after requesting disks 22, 36 and 114)
"Oh, well. I guess I can't go down there."
"I'll just have to skip that part of the game."
Btw, the loading image of the SE has a floppy disk labeled "disk 23" which is probably a joke on this.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Mixnmojo.com > Community Discussion Forums > SCUMM > Secret of Monkey Island - CD Talkie Edition Project