lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Darth InSidious' WIP
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 12-07-2007, 06:04 PM   #121
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Great update again, DI. It looks awesome. The skin looks fine. I'd choose the first one. He looks very cool.
Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-07-2007, 07:28 PM   #122
Qui-Gon Glenn
Necessary Roughneck

Current Game: ME3MP, Arkham Origins
Folder extraordinaire Helpful! Forum Veteran Veteran Modder 
I like the darkside skin a lot DI. If I had any criticism, I would say that the eye color needs a little tweaking...? I can't say exactly what, and not the obvious crimson. Maybe something like what you have with a little more black saturation? To create an empty feel? 2c.

Glad to see your work again
Qui-Gon Glenn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-07-2007, 08:21 PM   #123
RevanMMaster
Rookie

Great Mod DI One of the a mod I'll be waiting for. I agree with the face try to change the eyes a little. Other wise great
RevanMMaster is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-08-2007, 11:26 AM   #124
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Current Game: KotOR II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Xander
AAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! !!!!!
You're too kind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthDingDong
I agree,

Looks great!

@Xander

Calm down!
Heheh, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle_King
Good to see this most anticipated mod still in production DI!
Thank you! I'm glad it's moving forward, too.
Quote:
The head skin is awesome BTW, improve it more as you desire but it's great as is IMO. So, i take it he's a boss type character on you're planet? Very interesting, can't wait to learn more!
You...could say that...I'm afraid you'll have to play the mod to find out!
Quote:
Just a quit quesio.
Will the mod include VOs for your characters? I don't care whether there is or not, as every good mod isn't good because of the use of voiceovers, but of the gameplay quality of the mod itself.
A good question. The short answer would be 'yes'. I'm trying to make sure that every character has dialogue. But I'm not recording dialogue, either. So any human dialogues tend to be cut up from other places.

Thankfully, the above character speaks in Sith-Holocronese, for reasons which I hope will be apparent in the final release...But for the most part there's gonna be a lot of aliens. Consider it a rebalance, given the human-dominated majority of the game.
Quote:
So either way i'm sure i'm still gonna enjoy this mod, by the looks of it your mod will probs be an essential install next to the TSLRP.
I aim for quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miltiades
Great update again, DI. It looks awesome. The skin looks fine. I'd choose the first one. He looks very cool.
Heheheh, thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by qui_gon_glenn
I like the darkside skin a lot DI. If I had any criticism, I would say that the eye color needs a little tweaking...? I can't say exactly what, and not the obvious crimson. Maybe something like what you have with a little more black saturation? To create an empty feel? 2c.

Glad to see your work again
Hmm...I like that idea. I'll try it out ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevanMMaster
Great Mod DI One of the a mod I'll be waiting for. I agree with the face try to change the eyes a little. Other wise great
Two votes for the eyes - I'll get on it soon.

Although I've been doing a little tweaking since yesterday anyhow...

I thought the veins looked too red before.

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?

Last edited by Darth InSidious; 03-03-2008 at 08:33 AM. Reason: typo-squishery...
Darth InSidious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-08-2007, 11:28 AM   #125
RevanMMaster
Rookie

much better
RevanMMaster is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-09-2007, 09:00 AM   #126
darthjantom
Rookie

This looks great, can't wait for release.
darthjantom is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-09-2007, 09:02 AM   #127
Gargoyle King
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevanMMaster
much better
QFT. Looking even better DI!
It's good there will be more aliens aswell, there's just too many damn humans walking around!
Gargoyle King is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-09-2007, 12:23 PM   #128
Quanon

Forum Veteran Veteran Modder Helpful! 
My turn to drool DI !

Those veins look ace , might give them glow in the .txi for super evilness

Maybe the eyes ... hmmz xD

TIQUILAAAAAAAA
Quanon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-17-2007, 03:24 AM   #129
redrob41
Veteran

Current Game: just modding TSL
Veteran Modder Helpful! 
In your latest post (#124), the veins kinda look like cracks in marble to me. If that's the look you're going for, then it's working. If you're actually going for veins, I'd say that the one in post #117 (on the right side of the image) is a little closer. Maybe it's because the skin has a little more texture and shading in those screen shots. Perhaps if there was less B&W contrast (lighten the veins up a little), they would look more like veins under the skin, rather than cracks in the skin's surface. You might also try some light and shadow on them (bevel and emboss in Photoshop). I really like the pattern of the veins: they're balanced (not too much white skin, not too much veiny areas).

In the image where you ask "Or is this better?" (#117 again), there is an interesting pattern on his forehead that I think would make a neat tatoo, like Ulic Qel-Droma or Exar Kun.

The eyes are a great color, they're emphasized by the gold head gear. Maybe the whites of the eyes could be a little blood shot too?

I hope my suggestions are helpful. Keep up the great work

- Major character artist for the Revenge of Revan mod. -
- List of Completed Mods - Work in Progress Thread - Skinning Tutorial -
redrob41 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-18-2007, 01:36 AM   #130
deathdisco
Bastards of Young

Veteran Modder Contest winner - Modding 
I like that it almost looks 'marbled'. Kinda like a new alien race.

deathdisco is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-24-2007, 03:04 PM   #131
shatterpoint14
Rookie

I agree the face looks like an alien race. If you're going for more veiny make the skin darker or the veins lighter, I think that might help.

BTW I can't wait for this mod (as I said on the gizka forums)

This looks totally awesome =D

Whens the next update =P
shatterpoint14 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-10-2009, 10:40 AM   #132
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

It's been over a year since this thread was last updated, and I really should apologise for that, but I will state here that the project has by no means been abandoned.

Work has been slower in the last year due partly to a lot of real-life-related stuff, and partly to taking on new stuff in the community, including beta-ing/advising on a few mods more than is possibly wise. In the last year, I have released ~9 mods of varying sizes and shapes, but which nevertheless have taken time to produce.

The plus side is that these have cleared some of my previous backlog of ideas. The negative side of this is that I was a) exhausted by July, and b) worked less on Rhen Var as a consequence.

Nevertheless, I am continuing to work on this project, although the current focus, and indeed the focus of the last year, is on rewriting the plot to a satisfactory level. What is satisfactory? Nothing less than something as well-written as TSL itself, while retaining some of its own stamp, branching, choice and consequence, widespread skill/attribute checks and usage, etc. This kind of thing, perhaps unsurprisingly, takes a lot of time and effort, and also isn't very visual, so doesn't make for exciting updates.

I have also become increasingly aware of the shortcomings of the visual aspects of the mod, and more importantly, how to overcome that, and have been trying to improve both my skinning and modelling for the mod, so many of the items/skins you've seen previously in this thread will be undergoing a fairly large overhaul before release.

Which is not to say that I haven't done some stuff on Rhen Var (and my other mods, too) that I am willing/able to show here. Just perhaps not as much as you might expect, so if this update seems late, small and a little pathetic, you've been warned.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3.../saresh5-1.jpg

Two examples of a robe set I've been playing with a little. Very much a WIP so expect updates when they come.

Seriously, though, nothing final on those two. I'm thinking probably to replace the Star Forge robe model. At present, I can't think of an appropriate female body model to use for a female set, so this may be MRevan-only.

Sword that I have in the works. As of the current time, the model is pretty well complete, and skinning is the primary concern. Based on an SWG model.

These two are, as the second one says, khopeshes. An adaption of the axe, these sickle-swords were primarily used in Egypt until c.1300 BC. A lot of examples only have one sharpened edge, but double-edged examples are known, and besides, it looks cooler.

Oh, and the overdone look for the second shot is just because I was playing around in GIMP.

I may try my hand at skinning a version to replace Naga Sadow's Poison Blade with a unique model, but otherwise these go straight onto the Rhen Var pile. Naturally, slashing bonuses will be included, as well as cultifying of the sword to a level roughly equal with the katana.

Not really done for any good reason, but these may crop up later, suitably redone. At the moment, a prelim. of what a Republic-themed reskin of the Leviathan bridge might look like. Mostly done to keep my hand in on area reskinning.

Finally, this head. Again. Very much updated from last time, but still far from final. Again, feedback, please.

EDIT: Forgot to mention it, but the module tutorial is still very much in the works, too. But don't take my word for it: See some amazing edited grass settings !
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...s33/google.jpg
(This is the point where you're bitterly disappointed, btw. )

That's all for now, but I hope to be updating more frequently this year.

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Old 01-10-2009, 11:27 AM   #133
DarthYuugi
Rookie

Current Game: Jade Empire
Intresing on the Star forge robe idea

Maybe if you're any good in modelling you should make a female version to match the Male's
The Leviathan bridge thing looks nice as well

Good work DI

“They find themselves… or find themselves lacking.”

My Mods At Kotorfiles
DarthYuugi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-10-2009, 11:40 AM   #134
Exile007

Current Game: Zelda Majora's Mask
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth InSidious
Nevertheless, I am continuing to work on this project, although the current focus, and indeed the focus of the last year, is on rewriting the plot to a satisfactory level. What is satisfactory? Nothing less than something as well-written as TSL itself, while retaining some of its own stamp, branching, choice and consequence, widespread skill/attribute checks and usage, etc. This kind of thing, perhaps unsurprisingly, takes a lot of time and effort, and also isn't very visual, so doesn't make for exciting updates.
Heh, greatly understand were you're coming from DI, nevertheless this will make any kind of mod much better. You should feel proud of yourself though, not many people (myself included) can sit down are re-write an idea continually until they're 100% satisfied.

Glad to see this thread updated though! Looking forward to some new updates!

Last edited by Exile007; 01-10-2009 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Typo...
Exile007 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-10-2009, 01:02 PM   #135
Marius Fett
Frigged if I know!

Glad to see you've not dropped Rhen Var Darth.

Some really nice texturing work going on there.

I especially like the LS robe. (if it is indeed LS )

As for the Leviathan reskin, it's pretty well done. Though i'm not too keen on the floor trim.

Overall, some really nice updates!

Visit the new JediKnight.net!
Marius Fett is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-10-2009, 03:26 PM   #136
Quanon

Ooooh an update

Not much for me to say that has been sayed a lot before.

The weapons look cool so far, bit grey though

Was temped to offer my moddeling skills to create you a nice tomb, but I'll get bored to quick anyway

Great to see you've haven't give up and continue to work on this stuff.

Cheers and untill next year !

TIQUILAAAAAAAA
Old 01-10-2009, 05:43 PM   #137
SpaceAlex
Forumite

Forum Veteran 
I really like that Star Forge robe lookalike armor (the one on the third screenshot). It seems like a perfect match for a Jedi. Though it is very difficult to see from the small screenshot, I think the gloves look a bit too flat. I may be wrong, though. Perhaps the only problem is the color; try changing it to the color of the majority of the robe.

The head looks pretty good also, though it's still too much like Dorak's (was that his name?). Perhaps try expanding his beard a bit; I think the model would allow it. Also, the eyes look a bit flat. My skins had the same problem, but luckily redrob41 mentioned it, so I think I'll just quote what he said to me:

Quote:
I notice that the iris of her eyes looks a little flat. I know that it is a problem with a lot of the original K1 textures. In the TSL faces, the eyes have a little more dimension to them (highlights and shadows). A good example from TSL is PMHC04A.tga. Here is a decent, yet simple tutorial to illustrate what I mean: Eye Tutorial. Step 3 in particular, but with the light source coming straight down. It's a small detail (the iris) that would add a lot of depth to all your new textures.
That's all of the feedback I have at the moment. Keep up the good work!

SpaceAlex is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-16-2009, 05:38 PM   #138
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthYuugi View Post
Intresing on the Star forge robe idea
Heheh, thanks.

Quote:
Maybe if you're any good in modelling you should make a female version to match the Male's
I might look into that, although I've never dabbled much with the Replacer Tool.

Quote:
The Leviathan bridge thing looks nice as well
Thanks, but I'm not quite happy with it. The consoles stand out way too much, and some of the texturing looks decidedly dodgy. I may update that at some point; to be honest, it's pretty low-priority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile007
Heh, greatly understand were you're coming from DI, nevertheless this will make any kind of mod much better. You should feel proud of yourself though, not many people (myself included) can sit down are re-write an idea continually until they're 100% satisfied.
It's not easy or necessarily much fun, I'll admit; but as you say, in the end the finished product will be that much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile007
Glad to see this thread updated though! Looking forward to some new updates!
Thanks, so am I!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius Fett View Post
Glad to see you've not dropped Rhen Var Darth.
After this long it'd be rather galling to do so now, IMO. Besides, I get the feeling there'd be a lynch mob after me if I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MF
Some really nice texturing work going on there.

I especially like the LS robe. (if it is indeed LS)
It is, and thanks!

Quote:
As for the Leviathan reskin, it's pretty well done. Though i'm not too keen on the floor trim.
Yeah, that area skin is far from final. I'll look into changing that around a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quanon View Post
Ooooh an update

Not much for me to say that has been sayed a lot before.

The weapons look cool so far, bit grey though
It's being worked on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q
Was temped to offer my moddeling skills to create you a nice tomb, but I'll get bored to quick anyway
Haven't you got your hands full with Scrapyard Games, anyhow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q
Great to see you've haven't give up and continue to work on this stuff.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q
Cheers and untill next year !
Hahah, not this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceAlex View Post
I really like that Star Forge robe lookalike armor (the one on the third screenshot). It seems like a perfect match for a Jedi. Though it is very difficult to see from the small screenshot, I think the gloves look a bit too flat. I may be wrong, though. Perhaps the only problem is the color; try changing it to the color of the majority of the robe.
No, you're right; they are much too flat. I'll look into trying to give them a bit more depth.

Quote:
The head looks pretty good also, though it's still too much like Dorak's (was that his name?). Perhaps try expanding his beard a bit; I think the model would allow it.
To be honest, I'm not intending on remodelling anything to any great extent at present; there's already enough work involved in this mod, and it's never gone well for me in the past.

Quote:
Also, the eyes look a bit flat. My skins had the same problem, but luckily redrob41 mentioned it, so I think I'll just quote what he said to me:
Yes, I see what you mean about the eyes. I'll look into that ASAP.

Although, IIRC the head has a quarter of an eye actually on the UVmap, so that may not look too good...
Quote:
That's all of the feedback I have at the moment. Keep up the good work!
Thanks, you too!

Small update this time, since I'm rather busy at the moment, but I did snatch some time in which to try skinning the khopesh blade, which after a few false starts earlier in the year is now beginning to look something like it ought:

There are a few problems, though, first amongst them being that what the weapon looks like when in darkness. Still, I suppose that's what I get for choosing to skin a bronze weapon.

That's all for now, but in the interests of keeping up the pace and the regular updates, they'll probably be more frequent for now, but smaller.

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Old 01-16-2009, 06:28 PM   #139
jrrtoken

The khopesh looks very nice, however, have you ever considered on giving it a slightly weathered look, such as a thin and scattered layer of patina?

It may not look too intimidating, yet it will seem authentic!
jrrtoken is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-16-2009, 07:43 PM   #140
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth InSidious View Post
There are a few problems, though, first amongst them being that what the weapon looks like when in darkness.
Did you change the shader type to metal and the ambient/diffuse to white before exporting the model?
DarthParametric is online now   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-23-2009, 03:17 PM   #141
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastramiX View Post
The khopesh looks very nice, however, have you ever considered on giving it a slightly weathered look, such as a thin and scattered layer of patina?

It may not look too intimidating, yet it will seem authentic!
In short, yes, but I think that's a bit beyond my abilities. Either that, or its just a fact that whatever you do it'll come out in game as a fudgy mess.

I am thinking about giving it a few nicks and scratches, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthParametric
Did you change the shader type to metal and the ambient/diffuse to white before exporting the model?
I hadn't - thanks for the tip!

Now - more updates.

I've not been doing nothing these past few...

*squints at post-dates*

...months, but I have been moving rather slowly, and getting that khopesh blade to look more like I want it to took time, and I've been speeding up the writing of this project. I'd rather like to release before 2010, however unlikely a goal that is.

RL has also been slightly hectic, and eaten into time I might otherwise have spent on the mod (or maybe not ). I'm hoping for something of a slow-down soon, though, so there may (or may not) be further updates soon. I'm not leaving the thread for a year again, though, hopefully.

Now that the khopesh blade is skinned, I obviously have to move onto the handle. While I have considered creating a decorative handle, I think that would suit any more 'unique' designs based on this model I may make in the future. I was toying with making a version of Naga Sadow's Poison Blade for a separate release, possibly with a few other weapons to supplement WotOR.

And so without further wittering on my part, here is the picture of the only visual progress recently:

I know, you can't see a difference. Sue me.

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Old 03-23-2009, 03:41 PM   #142
jrrtoken

They're coming along nicely, IMO. There's definitely more lustre present, and it truly looks as if it was forged from bronze rather than a mass of feces.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:21 PM   #143
redrob41
Veteran

Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Two examples of a robe set I've been playing with a little. Very much a WIP so expect updates when they come.

Seriously, though, nothing final on those two. I'm thinking probably to replace the Star Forge robe model. At present, I can't think of an appropriate female body model to use for a female set, so this may be MRevan-only.
The robes look good, and would make a really good alternative to the standard Star Forge robe model. I've wanted to do a mod exactly like that for a while, but haven't started because of other mods taking priority. I think that the Bastila standard clothes model would make a good female version. It has the high collar and shoulder pauldrons, but the skins would take a bit more effort to convert.

I like the second screenshot better (the one with the khopesh blades), because you've removed some of the white metal and put in more tan cloth. It looks more flexible that way, and a little more like something a Jedi would wear.

Quote:
Finally, this head. Again. Very much updated from last time, but still far from final. Again, feedback, please.
Looking much better. The veins definitely look like they are under the skin.

Quote:
Now that the khopesh blade is skinned, I obviously have to move onto the handle. While I have considered creating a decorative handle, I think that would suit any more 'unique' designs based on this model I may make in the future. I was toying with making a version of Naga Sadow's Poison Blade for a separate release, possibly with a few other weapons to supplement WotOR.

I know, you can't see a difference. Sue me.
Actually, there is a marked improvement, especially because the shine helps it stand out from the black backgrounds. The mottled pattern gives it kind of a hand-beaten look, like a hammer was used to pound it into shape.

The model is great, it really reminds me of the second Mummy movie (the opening scene of the Scorpion King vs all the Anubis clones), so I think you've got the Egyptian feel of that type of blade for sure.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:23 PM   #144
Exile007

Those blades are looking great DI. But the handles look a bit... meh. Sorta grey'ish, so I hope you try to skin those.

Or it's just my eyes are getting even worse. :P
Old 03-24-2009, 02:31 AM   #145
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Current Game: DDO, Stormreach
Quote:
Hmm... looks like a fine model DI but isn't it upside down... at least when the character is holding them?

Not that I know anything about Khopesh's mind you! *Points to AV and Sig...*

"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
RedHawke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-07-2009, 09:35 PM   #146
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

It's been a pretty hectic few months for me, and I'm sure for everyone else as well; mercifully I've had plenty to do. Nevertheless, I've not exactly been resting on my laurels in terms of modding, even if there isn't quite as much to say as I'd like.

Quote:
They're coming along nicely, IMO. There's definitely more lustre present, and it truly looks as if it was forged from bronze rather than a mass of feces.
Heh, yeah, the old textures weren't great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrob41 View Post
I think that the Bastila standard clothes model would make a good female version. It has the high collar and shoulder pauldrons, but the skins would take a bit more effort to convert.
The Bastila clothes are certainly an option, although one I've been avoiding since 90SK has already made use of them; I was thinking perhaps of using Juhani's clothing model, which to my knowledge has yet to be used for this kind of thing, and has a similar shape.

Quote:
I like the second screenshot better (the one with the khopesh blades), because you've removed some of the white metal and put in more tan cloth. It looks more flexible that way, and a little more like something a Jedi would wear.

Looking much better. The veins definitely look like they are under the skin.
Hehe, thanks!

Quote:
Actually, there is a marked improvement, especially because the shine helps it stand out from the black backgrounds. The mottled pattern gives it kind of a hand-beaten look, like a hammer was used to pound it into shape.

The model is great, it really reminds me of the second Mummy movie (the opening scene of the Scorpion King vs all the Anubis clones), so I think you've got the Egyptian feel of that type of blade for sure.
Thank you, I'm glad you like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile007 View Post
Those blades are looking great DI. But the handles look a bit... meh. Sorta grey'ish, so I hope you try to skin those.

Or it's just my eyes are getting even worse. :P
It's not your eyes, they were unskinned at the time. Fixed now, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawke View Post
Hmm... looks like a fine model DI but isn't it upside down... at least when the character is holding them?

Not that I know anything about Khopesh's mind you! *Points to AV and Sig...*
Haha, indeed. Unfortunately, though, I imported the wrong way round, and I was too lazy to reimport. Besides, it's a double-bladed model. You can wield it either way. >.>

First up, the khopesh... again.

As you can see, the handle is now skinned, and I tweaked the blade skin slightly. Props in this picture to oldflash for the headband and 90SK for the robe. Would have taken a neutral shot, but I had the mods in at the time.

I've also done some work toward a more corroded skin, as per Pastrami's suggestion, although I don't feel it's worked very well so far.

A more evil weapon for a darker Exile; unfortunately, teething problems with the handle skin getting mapped in-game properly thanks to some issues with mdlops, but I hope to fix those soon. The design on the hilt is a very small representation of Her Serenity the stoffe the Lady of Pain. You can't see it in-game (or very well on the skin), but I thought it was a cool touch, so nyer.

Next up is a weapon model that is also a spoiler for NWN2, so don't look if you haven't played through at least into Act 3 of NWN2's OC. No, really.
Show spoiler

My first stab at blaster modelling in a long time. Issues with the game again, which probable mean I need to redo the handgrip. This will be the standard security weapon, and I'm hoping to come up with a slight twist for it, so watch this space.

Finally, something I've been fiddling with, on-and-off, for at least three years (if you go back to earlier pages in this thread, you may well find pictures of PCs wearing earlier iterations of this idea). I can't quite get the colouring right, though, so I may shelve it for a while longer.

----

Last of all, I want to talk a little about the plot and the story for the mod. I'm not going to be spoiling anything, so there's no need to look away. I do want to say, though, that, for the main plot at least, there is no fedexing (or, for the laymen among us, quest elements where you must carry item X from person Y on one side of the world to person Z on the other), and there is a fair degree of non-linearity in certain sections, although it is ultimately linear.

What I mean is that, to get from A to B, there are multiple options open to you, and occasionally, certain actions will cause certain consequences. The upshot of all this is that it will not, I hope, be possible to play through all of the content in the mod in one run-through, which I think is very important.

Another thing you will be assaulted by in packs is skill and ability checks. These will actually serve a purpose, and there will, I hope, be no dialogues, at least in the main plot, which have redundant options (i.e., ones that lead to the same line). I make no promises that the lines will all be radically different; that is the aim, though.

One other thing that there's not much of in this mod is random kill assignments. This wasn't exactly intentional, but the mod evolved in such a way that combat, for the main part, isn't going to come up that much. When it does, though, I want it to be more special, and, preferably, tough. I consider it, like the fedex-quest, a bit too much of an easy way around having to come up with something original, memorable and fun. Things may change a little depending on whether I can do everything I want in-game, but I'm hoping this is not one of those things.

That's all I have to say on the subject for now.

Your fun fact for the update is that at last count, the main plot required around twelve modules. Make of that what you will.

Oh, go on then. Just one spoiler for the plot.
Show spoiler

Until next time!

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Old 08-07-2009, 09:52 PM   #147
Kainzorus Prime
My vision is augmented

Current Game: Deus Ex series
Contest winner - Modding 
Quote:
Next up is a weapon model that is also a spoiler for NWN2, so don't look if you haven't played through at least into Act 3 of NWN2's OC. No, really.
Show spoiler
Yay SsoG.

Kainzorus Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-07-2009, 10:08 PM   #148
TriggerGod

Helpful! 
Quote:
First up, the khopesh... again.

As you can see, the handle is now skinned, and I tweaked the blade skin slightly. Props in this picture to oldflash for the headband and 90SK for the robe. Would have taken a neutral shot, but I had the mods in at the time.
Definitely looking better.

Quote:

I've also done some work toward a more corroded skin, as per Pastrami's suggestion, although I don't feel it's worked very well so far.
It definitely looks... interesting. But I agree, it doesn't exactly look on par with the original...

Quote:

A more evil weapon for a darker Exile; unfortunately, teething problems with the handle skin getting mapped in-game properly thanks to some issues with mdlops,
Did you remember to detach the polys? (even on the handle)

Quote:
but I hope to fix those soon. The design on the hilt is a very small representation of Her Serenity the stoffe the Lady of Pain. You can't see it in-game (or very well on the skin), but I thought it was a cool touch, so nyer.
A cool touch that you can barely see?

Quote:
Show spoiler
I haven't played it yet, and I looked at it. Whats going to happen to me?

Seriously, that sword looks very good.

Quote:

Finally, something I've been fiddling with, on-and-off, for at least three years (if you go back to earlier pages in this thread, you may well find pictures of PCs wearing earlier iterations of this idea). I can't quite get the colouring right, though, so I may shelve it for a while longer.
Would that happen to be the hood from Kreia's model? If so, I believe that the arm texture for one of the jedi robes uses an edited version of that, so I'm sure you can get pretty close using that little part of the texture.

Quote:
Another thing you will be assaulted by in packs is skill and ability checks. These will actually serve a purpose, and there will, I hope, be no dialogues, at least in the main plot, which have redundant options (i.e., ones that lead to the same line). I make no promises that the lines will all be radically different; that is the aim, though.
Ah, something I thought was missing from the game. I didn't quite like how you use a skill in a dialog a few times in the whole game, and it leads you to the same conclusion as if you didn't have the skill.
And I too would like to see some unique dialog every time I play through the mod.
Quote:
Oh, go on then. Just one spoiler for the plot.
Show spoiler
dead guy laying in snow? the plot has thickened.

If he is laying in the snow, I'd say maybe make a custom dead-guy skin that'll make him look a little... icy. Because if hes dead enough to have his spine sticking out, he should look bluer and a lot colder...
TriggerGod is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-07-2009, 10:31 PM   #149
jrrtoken

Quote:
I really the love the new model; it's definitely more, erm, intimidating, if not extremely authentic. Of course this is Star Wars, so historicity has never been the focal point in design.
Quote:
What I mean is that, to get from A to B, there are multiple options open to you, and occasionally, certain actions will cause certain consequences. The upshot of all this is that it will not, I hope, be possible to play through all of the content in the mod in one run-through, which I think is very important.

I see that Alpha Protocol has had quite a considerable effect on the design.

Sounds great so far, though. :0
Old 08-08-2009, 04:46 AM   #150
Quanon

Aha, an update

Looks like you still got a lot of work DI.
Its nice though you aim for something more "new" dialogue-wise.

Lets just hope TSL works with you on this and not against.
Models look fantastic, so do the skins. Can't wait to take a swing with one of those blades ^_^

Oh, and did you detach your model like you mapped it. That solves 90% of texture troubles on weapon models in the game.

1) Model weapon
2) UVW map
3) Bake map into model (convert again to Mesh or Collapse)
4) Start detaching to element
5) Export and have a test run
Not always, but most of the time.... just like TG said. Smart kid

CHeers and good luck!

TIQUILAAAAAAAA
Old 08-08-2009, 03:38 PM   #151
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Great that you're moving combat a bit to the background, and that you're giving more attention to quality dialog and meaningful choices (I didn't expect anything else from you, DI ). In line with what TSL tried to accomplish, I think, combat wasn't the most exciting part of the game, and it worked wonders. I, too, sense a hint of AP.

The Khopesh does look better, I hope you'll get the rest on the same level of quality. I'm not too worried about that aspect, however, as far as I can see, the focus is mostly on the narrative, and I'm sure you'll excel there.

Good luck, you'll get there someday.

PSN id: BE_Miltiades

Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-08-2009, 05:32 PM   #152
Sith Holocron
M4-78

Current Game: The Old Republic
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire Helpful! Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Khopesh question

It's always nice to see a Rhen Var update.

Quote:
Haha, indeed. Unfortunately, though, I imported the wrong way round, and I was too lazy to reimport. Besides, it's a double-bladed model. You can wield it either way. >.>
I had a thought on this yet I'm afraid I'll sound like an incompetent when stating. Well here goes nothing . . .

In the game - if I recall correctly - you get some sort of penalty if you wield a sword or lightsaber in the off-hand. Would it possible to have the off-hand (left) wield the khopesh with your original pictured position and the normal (right) hand with the new pictured position as RedHawke suggested?

I imagine that a Khopesh would look perfectly at home with those Stargate skins that I've seen previously.

Considering trying out (or returning to) SWTOR? You may as well go through my link and help get me some SWTOR referral points!
Sith Holocron is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-30-2009, 11:43 PM   #153
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -DK- View Post
Yay SsoG.
Unfortunately, I don't think I can add the sparkly effect. Glad you like it, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerGod View Post
It definitely looks... interesting. But I agree, it doesn't exactly look on par with the original...
If "interesting" means "mouldy", I agree.

Quote:
Did you remember to detach the polys? (even on the handle)
Quite possibly not. >_>

Quote:
A cool touch that you can barely see?
Re-read T7's lightsaber texturing tut.

Quote:
I haven't played it yet, and I looked at it. Whats going to happen to me?
Well, when you do certain bits of the game will be less cool the first time around. >_>

Quote:
Seriously, that sword looks very good.
Thanks.

Quote:
Would that happen to be the hood from Kreia's model?
Yes.
Quote:
If so, I believe that the arm texture for one of the jedi robes uses an edited version of that, so I'm sure you can get pretty close using that little part of the texture.
They look the same shape, but the Kreia texture appears to be slightly different in shape.

Quote:
Ah, something I thought was missing from the game. I didn't quite like how you use a skill in a dialog a few times in the whole game, and it leads you to the same conclusion as if you didn't have the skill.
Yes, it is rather pointless. >_>
Quote:
And I too would like to see some unique dialog every time I play through the mod.
I can't promise every line will be utterly unique, but certainly there will be a degree of variance and difference in the direction of conversations. This will probably be most evident in the key NPCs. Whether or not it becomes a feature of less important dialogues remains to be seen.

Quote:
dead guy laying in snow? the plot has thickened.
I use oxo cubes.

Quote:
If he is laying in the snow, I'd say maybe make a custom dead-guy skin that'll make him look a little... icy. Because if hes dead enough to have his spine sticking out, he should look bluer and a lot colder...
I'm not sure I can say any more on that without revealing too much, but suffice to say that I have my reasons for leaving it as-is.

Quote:
I really the love the new model; it's definitely more, erm, intimidating, if not extremely authentic. Of course this is Star Wars, so historicity has never been the focal point in design.
Well, yes and no. The design varied a fair amount in Egypt, and some representations are more pointy, like this one, while others survive looking more like the model further up the thread. I'm wagering they weren't originally painted black, though, so your point still stands.

Quote:
I see that Alpha Protocol has had quite a considerable effect on the design.
Haha. Actually, bits of this were written before much was known about AP. I blame synchronicity.

Quote:
Sounds great so far, though. :0
Thanks!

Quote:
Aha, an update

Looks like you still got a lot of work DI.
Yep. As always. >_>

Quote:
Its nice though you aim for something more "new" dialogue-wise.
Well, it gets annoying when there's five dialogue options, four of which are the same and one of which is "I'll be going now"...

Quote:
Lets just hope TSL works with you on this and not against.
Touch wood...

Quote:
Models look fantastic, so do the skins. Can't wait to take a swing with one of those blades ^_^
Thanks!

Quote:
Oh, and did you detach your model like you mapped it. That solves 90% of texture troubles on weapon models in the game.

1) Model weapon
2) UVW map
3) Bake map into model (convert again to Mesh or Collapse)
4) Start detaching to element
5) Export and have a test run
Not always, but most of the time.... just like TG said. Smart kid
It seems not... Fixed now, though.

Quote:
CHeers and good luck!
Thanks - same to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miltiades View Post
Great that you're moving combat a bit to the background, and that you're giving more attention to quality dialog and meaningful choices (I didn't expect anything else from you, DI ).
Well, the game does have plenty of easy as it is - particularly towards the end. IMO if you're going to have combat it should be memorable and in a vaguely sensible place in the plot.

You can get away with a certain degree of casual violence in, say, a fantasy setting, but I think in sci-fi, generally things should be a bit more plausible.

Quote:
In line with what TSL tried to accomplish, I think, combat wasn't the most exciting part of the game, and it worked wonders.
Well, that follows in the tradition of Planescape Torment - great dialogue, but really horrible combat...
Quote:
I, too, sense a hint of AP.
I'm flattered.

Quote:
The Khopesh does look better, I hope you'll get the rest on the same level of quality.
That's certainly the aim, although at present it's taking a back seat to other, more pressing matters like the main plot.
Quote:
I'm not too worried about that aspect, however, as far as I can see, the focus is mostly on the narrative, and I'm sure you'll excel there.
Hehe, thanks!

Quote:
Good luck, you'll get there someday.
Hopefully someday soon. >_>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Holocron View Post
It's always nice to see a Rhen Var update.
Thanks!

Quote:
I had a thought on this yet I'm afraid I'll sound like an incompetent when stating. Well here goes nothing . . .
If you don't ask, you won't find out...

Quote:
In the game - if I recall correctly - you get some sort of penalty if you wield a sword or lightsaber in the off-hand. Would it possible to have the off-hand (left) wield the khopesh with your original pictured position and the normal (right) hand with the new pictured position as RedHawke suggested?
I could release it with two separate items - one facing in each direction, and probably one with an offhand bonus, although I'm not sure - I don't actually remember if that's a possible item bonus. That's about the best solution I can think of, to be honest.

Quote:
I imagine that a Khopesh would look perfectly at home with those Stargate skins that I've seen previously.
You're very kind, but Q and 90SK's work is hugely superior to mine...

Just a quick update today. Not much has been happening with the mod visually lately, so I'm afraid there's not much to tell in that regard, but I thought I'd post a picture of the (now-fixed) second khopesh in-game:

Share and Enjoy!

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Old 08-31-2009, 12:40 AM   #154
Exile007

Oooh, shiny blades *makes note not to lick pointy end*

On the note of your dialog update, very interesting. I don't even remember your skills really coming into play often in TSL, besides slicing the computers for less spikes. So I suppose there will be a reason to worry about how high our skills are?

Great note about the combat too, I agree that it should be a memorable occasion.

Suggestions: Make the combat more than a "Master Flurry-Master Speed-Heal-Master Flurry-Master Speed" type fashion. The opponents should have specific strengths and weaknesses that match their personalities and character. Boss fights should definitely be challenging, but not overwhelmingly difficult, don't let the player lose interest after a full three minutes of hack-n-slash. If a boss fight is too easy, then the player will definitely be "wtf-like."

Example: Sion upping himself about how much stronger he is than the exile, and then being driven to 1 HP in three rounds? Give me a break.

If you can get a player pumped up for combat in TSL, then you've definitely gotten a new dimension into your mod.

^ My two cents.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:51 AM   #155
Quanon

Quote:
You're very kind, but Q and 90SK's work is hugely superior to mine...
When looked upon from certain point of view.... I'm trying to redo the mask to be more faithfull to the real movie props. So far no luck those things are curved like hell and I loose oversight on the whole model... urgh, feel like a noob now

Quote:
... but I thought I'd post a picture of the (now-fixed) second khopesh in-game:
Oooh, it worked! I love the look of handle and the curve of the blade is pure awesomeness. You got to love those egyptian designers

I do hope your mod does contain a sort of babe and new steaming hot like liquid lead romance

TIQUILAAAAAAAA
Old 08-31-2009, 08:38 PM   #156
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Quote:
Oooh, shiny blades *makes note not to lick pointy end*
If I put this model into K1 separately, I will make sure to include a warning against attempting to eat the models just for you, Exile.

Quote:
On the note of your dialog update, very interesting. I don't even remember your skills really coming into play often in TSL, besides slicing the computers for less spikes. So I suppose there will be a reason to worry about how high our skills are?
Well, dialogue will certainly rely on more than simply [Persuade] options. I did consider forcing the player to roll each skill check, but it would be out of keeping with the rest of the game. Generally, though, the planet is going to be designed with higher-level characters in mind, so you'll need a fairly high skill value just to get the dialogue option to appear.

Quote:
Great note about the combat too, I agree that it should be a memorable occasion.
Hehe, thanks. It's not exactly the game's strength, after all...

Quote:
Suggestions: Make the combat more than a "Master Flurry-Master Speed-Heal-Master Flurry-Master Speed" type fashion. The opponents should have specific strengths and weaknesses that match their personalities and character. Boss fights should definitely be challenging, but not overwhelmingly difficult, don't let the player lose interest after a full three minutes of hack-n-slash. If a boss fight is too easy, then the player will definitely be "wtf-like."
I certainly agree with all of that. I do intend to build combat-NPCs with care, so they don't just have 99 for ever stat and eight-trillion HP.

Quote:
Example: Sion upping himself about how much stronger he is than the exile, and then being driven to 1 HP in three rounds? Give me a break.
That had a plot point behind it, but I can see where you're coming from.

Quote:
If you can get a player pumped up for combat in TSL, then you've definitely gotten a new dimension into your mod.
I'm afraid I'm not a miracle-worker.

Quote:
^ My two cents.
Very welcome, Thanks!

Quote:
When looked upon from certain point of view....
Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our point of view. Your skill as a modeller isn't one of them, though.

Quote:
I'm trying to redo the mask to be more faithfull to the real movie props. So far no luck those things are curved like hell and I loose oversight on the whole model... urgh, feel like a noob now
Well, those are difficult shapes to get right, anyway. The planning for a model like that must be insane!

Quote:
Oooh, it worked! I love the look of handle and the curve of the blade is pure awesomeness. You got to love those egyptian designers
Thanks!

Quote:
I do hope your mod does contain a sort of babe and new steaming hot like liquid lead romance
Show spoiler

Well, I know rapid updates aren't exactly common in this thread, but since I fixed this earlier today (hurrah for Bank Holidays!), I thought I might as well post it. It's an update of the mod in post #132 in this thread.

I've redone the (Light Side) skin for two reasons, mainly: first, so that I could get a higher-res texture for the it, and second because it allowed me to solve the issue of unreal gloves... sort of. The screenshots don't really show the second element, though, and it's still a work-in-progress, of course, so the skin is still far from final. It's closer-to than it was, though.

The picture had to be taken somewhere relatively dark, because I have yet to fix the alpha channel on the metal parts. At present it glows in the sun rather too close to the burns-out-your-eyeballs range. >_>

Share and Enjoy!

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Old 08-31-2009, 11:39 PM   #157
Exile007

Quote:
If I put this model into K1 separately, I will make sure to include a warning against attempting to eat the models just for you, Exile.
I feel so honored.

Quote:
99 for ever stat and eight-trillion HP.
Obsidian style!

Quote:
That had a plot point behind it, but I can see where you're coming from.
True, but given the fact that the PC knew that Sion would be a final boss from Peragus, I guess I expected more.

Quote:
I'm afraid I'm not a miracle-worker.

Quote:
I've redone the (Light Side) skin for two reasons, mainly: first, so that I could get a higher-res texture for the it, and second because it allowed me to solve the issue of unreal gloves... sort of. The screenshots don't really show the second element, though, and it's still a work-in-progress, of course, so the skin is still far from final. It's closer-to than it was, though.
Looking good! But for some reason I just can't really get into the cloth on the chest plates. It just seems sorta unrealistic. Maybe replace the chest plate with pieces from the Star Forge Robe?
Old 09-01-2009, 06:47 AM   #158
Marius Fett
Frigged if I know!

Quote:
But for some reason I just can't really get into the cloth on the chest plates. It just seems sorta unrealistic. Maybe replace the chest plate with pieces from the Star Forge Robe?
I agree with Exile on this one. It's a great reskin, but the cloth on the chest just doesn't do it for me. ^_^

Visit the new JediKnight.net!
Marius Fett is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-01-2009, 11:43 AM   #159
redrob41
Veteran

Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Show spoiler
Quote:
Looking good! But for some reason I just can't really get into the cloth on the chest plates. It just seems sorta unrealistic. Maybe replace the chest plate with pieces from the Star Forge Robe?
Quote:
I agree with Exile on this one. It's a great reskin, but the cloth on the chest just doesn't do it for me. ^_^
At the moment, it looks to me like tan fabric has been glued onto the metal plate, rather than a cloth under tunic showing through holes in a piece of metal. Maybe you could add a bit more edge shadowing. Also, I think that the shape of the holes is overly "designed" and doesn't look very functional (at least on the abdomen and clavicals; the back shoulder blades look fine). Perhaps if the chest plate ended at the rib cage, and then there were leather straps joining it to the belt?

Old 12-14-2009, 01:49 PM   #160
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Update time!

My apologies for the huge delay in responding - my computer died the day of the last update... which, it seems, was September 1st. It feels like it was more like September 1st 2005, but that's another story...

For those who are interested, my graphics card died, and what with my computer being a laptop, that proved somewhat... fatal. What with one thing and another, it took over two months to get a new laptop.

To add to this, I've had a pretty full schedule these last few months, too, and so even if I'd been able to, I'm not sure I really had the time to work on Rhen Var or any modding really. I don't really right now, but I needed a break, so I did some updates on a few projects I was working on before the (second) Great Collapsing Hrung Disaster.

Now that things are semi-up-and-running again, I feel I can actually give you an update. And, you know, answer your questions/points/verbal abuse.

Quote:
I feel so honored.
You should. I haven't taken a mod request in over four years.

Quote:
Obsidian style!
No-time-to-balance-style, anyway. The overpowered items that litter the game make it a bit difficult to balance things as finely as I might like, but I'm hoping for combat to be challenging and a little varied. I've no idea how that'll work out yet, though, so...

Quote:
True, but given the fact that the PC knew that Sion would be a final boss from Peragus, I guess I expected more.
Yeah, that's true. He is rather weak on gameplay, but the game's strength generally is more in dialogue and story than the combat and levelling.

Quote:
You're crushed, I know. ( )

Quote:
On reflexion it does look rather crap, yeah. I'll try fixing that when I have the time for proper skinning. I'm also hideously out of practice at the moment, so anything I do will look horrible beyond beleif.

Quote:
*shrug*. I thought it looked quite cool at the time, but I can see what you mean. If/when I get round to editing that skin again, I'll definitely rework the cloth panels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrob41 View Post
At the moment, it looks to me like tan fabric has been glued onto the metal plate, rather than a cloth under tunic showing through holes in a piece of metal. Maybe you could add a bit more edge shadowing. Also, I think that the shape of the holes is overly "designed" and doesn't look very functional (at least on the abdomen and clavicals; the back shoulder blades look fine). Perhaps if the chest plate ended at the rib cage, and then there were leather straps joining it to the belt?
Thanks for the tips! I'll give that a go over Christmas, and hopefully have something to show for it, though I think you rather overestimate my ability.

So: updates. The main plot for Rhen Var is now essentially finalised in all details, although I've yet to pass the final documentation in front of the Official Censor for approval/tweaking/other.

Progress on the plot front is moving forward, however slowly. At the moment it's just waiting on my having time to actually sit down and write dialogue. Or rather: write good dialogue. I could write some sucky crap, but you wouldn't want to read it, and I don't want to write it, to be honest. Be warned that stat and skill checks will abound. You should also pick dialogue options with care; some may lead to less favourable outcomes.

On the visible-stuff-you-can-crit front, I've mainly tweaked a couple of models I was working on previously, but didn't finish before my old computer died.

Item one on the agenda is a Jian, or traditional Chinese sword with a straight blade. Not the most complex model in the world, but a nice design; hopefully this one shouldn't take too long to skin, although I have plans for the guard area. This might make for a better short sword; I'm undecided at this point.

Next up is the Sword of Gith, again; this time a shot in-game. I did try and skin this, but I'm so out of touch it came out pretty ugly. Hopefully it'll look better in the v2. I think the current scale is probably about right for it.

Finally, I found I was in the middle of reskinning my landing pad module. I have no idea whatsoever why the floor is white here; presumably that was something I was in the middle of working on. 'Twill be fixed in time, rest assured.

Share and Enjoy!

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Editing / Modding > Holowan Laboratories > Darth InSidious' WIP