lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Its just an mmo now?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-10-2009, 07:25 AM   #121
Tommycat
>^..^<

Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
First off we have to considder that Bioware is taking a slightly different approach to the MMO genre(at least so say them). But for the most part the best fun in MMO's is the group activities. Not like the 20 man raids or whatever. Like for instance in Galaxies: They just added Hoth. Not as an expansion, just added it to the base game. Even with a good group it is challenging. It takes a lot of knowledge of your character's abilities to beat it.

Some of the fun is being the first to complete something difficult. Server first, and game first. Then there's all the exploration. Random sidequests. and tons of other random stuff to do. I know in Galaxies, lots of people just enjoyed decoration. Some like myself were great pilots. People got real good at different things. Then there's PVP.

Most of these things are post max level. So as long as they make the leveling fun(which it seems they are doing) then when we hit max level and start doing the "End Game" content, that's where the sticking addiction comes in.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2009, 07:26 PM   #122
SD Nihil

Current Game: K1/2, EaW/FoC, & TFU
So there is a max level for a character just like in rpgs. So at that point I take it that it's just a matter of skill if everyone has the highest level. And the only difference is your character's abilities verses another's. And of course what character's ability counters another in the sense of rock paper sizers a瑘nalogy. But can you die. You seee in rpgs you could save your game. In MMOs you cannot. What happens when you die?

And whenever there is new info for the MMO someone please post it here so we can continue to converse about it please.

SD Nihil is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2009, 10:23 PM   #123
Hallucination
Baron von Sexy

Current Game: HKO closed beta
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Nihil View Post
In MMOs you cannot. What happens when you die?
It depends on the game. Older MMO's were generally more 'hardcore' and included perma-death, others made you lose everything you had on your person and sent you to a certain point.

Newer MMO's are usually less cruel but my only experience would be WoW, where your character is sent to a graveyard as a ghost and you have to run back to your corpse and your items take damage (after a certain amount of damage your armour becomes useless until you repair it at some NPC's for a small fee), or alternatively you can resurrect at the graveyard and take more item damage and get a painful debuff.

Let's kill ourselves.
Hallucination is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2009, 09:59 AM   #124
Nerf_Herder
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Nihil View Post
So there is a max level for a character just like in rpgs. So at that point I take it that it's just a matter of skill if everyone has the highest level. And the only difference is your character's abilities verses another's. And of course what character's ability counters another in the sense of rock paper sizers a瑘nalogy. But can you die. You seee in rpgs you could save your game. In MMOs you cannot. What happens when you die?

And whenever there is new info for the MMO someone please post it here so we can continue to converse about it please.
Seriously, where have you been? MMO's have been rolling out for far over a decade, and you know NOTHING about them? Go to EVE, SWG, or WoW and read up.
Nerf_Herder is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-13-2009, 05:03 PM   #125
SD Nihil

Well like I said I never played MMOs because with the monthly fee probably costing more than I'd have time to play them I never started. And you know what I've heard about them up until now. I like games with no commitment so you can have less of an obligation and play it on your own time rather than having to play enough to make the cost worth it.

It's like a cable bill. Depending on how many channels you have you'll want to watch enough tomake it worth it. Otherwise you just get basic. Again any new news about the MMO? Like I said I like games with no commitment, but if its cost is low per month and I have time to play it to make that cost worth it the I will. get it.

So yeah any new MMO news on the TOR?

Old 04-13-2009, 05:13 PM   #126
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
We have a whole forum dedicated to it bud...tOR MMO

News keeps it updated, but you could always check the official site too ya know

adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2009, 08:57 PM   #127
SD Nihil

I know that. I just wanted someone to speak of some new news here on this topic of what is being posted over there to bring more meat to this topic.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:55 PM   #128
Darth Manus
Rookie

Star Wars: Galaxies sucks horribly, and I dread the thought of TOL heading the same way. The problem with an MMO is that they'll do everything they can to force you to spend as much time playing it as possible, and the norm in MMORPGs is that your character's power level is determined mostly by gear, which you have to spend hours on end collecting. I'm not terribly fond of WoW's gear dependant system. A Jedi's power comes from within, not from the crap they loot and wear. Weapons, armor and lightsaber crystals might make a difference, but they shouldn't be the defining factor of a character's abilities. I can already imagine the mad rush to get to level 40/50/whatever maximum they decide and the fixation on raids and achievements. I can already see stuff along the lines of "LFM STAR FORGE LINK ACHIEVEMENT OR DONT BOTHER WHISPERING!" If they're going to take KOTOR and turn it into another generic MMORPG, then I'm not touching it with a twenty foot rusty halberd.
And don't get me started on the rest of the grind typical in MMOs... People farming terentetek and Dark Jedi for credits so they can buy overpriced ships? An auction house so greedy people can put stuff up for an arm and a leg? Plotlines you can't advance without 5/10/25 people? No thanks!

One thing that fools will never understand is that only a weakling lets the darkness control him. A mix of light and darkness is a powerful thing. Volatile, yes, but also unexpected, and thus even more dangerous.
Darth Manus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-13-2009, 05:30 AM   #129
Toasty Fresh
Rookie

If it is an MMO and doesn't require a monthly fee, I'll play it. If it is an MMO and does require a monthly fee, I will play it for one month to see how they improve the graphics and such, then give my copy away or sell it. If they make you pay a monthly fee, then Lucasarts are just milking the damn series. Even though I've never played an MMO, I refuse to start playing a pay-per-month basis. The whole damn system of it is just a cash cow.

Also, I definately prefer SP games to MP games. Really, MP is fun, but it's brainless fun that relies on how addictive it is. There's no story. There's no interesting character backstories. All you end up doing is the same damn thing over and over again for a whole weekend, ending up with your brains liquefying and dribbling out your nose.

Lucasarts, if you make this thing an MMO, I've lost all respect for your works.

EDIT: Sorry for the huge bump. I didn't see the date of previous posts
Toasty Fresh is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-15-2009, 11:45 AM   #130
VarsityPuppet
Master of Puppets

Current Game: Chrono Trigger
Contest winner - Modding Forum Veteran Veteran Modder Helpful! 
I don't know what to think about ToR. I think I might go with Toasty Fresh and try it out for a month and see how it goes.

Because, I, above all prefer a Kotor 3 vs. a ToR.

VarsityPuppet is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-17-2009, 12:45 PM   #131
Parmenides
Rookie

Couldn't agree more with Darth Manus.

Though Bioware is busy, Obsidian said they would take on #3 if LA gave them the chance.

Last edited by Parmenides; 09-18-2009 at 01:33 AM.
Parmenides is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-18-2009, 04:14 AM   #132
Darth Darkus
Rookie

Current Game: none
I'm a SP fan, most of all 'cause I don't have an Internet connection at home but after all I've been reading about TOR I think this will be the game for me to start playing online. I mean it appears to have story line, pretty cool character classes and all that stuff.... but I agree with the posts above, if it's on a monthly-pay-base I guess I'll forget about it and rather play TFU when it finally comes for PC...
Darth Darkus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > The Unknown Regions > Its just an mmo now?