lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Oxygen >.>
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-04-2009, 01:01 AM   #1
Phantom Knight
BAANAAANAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

Current Game: Mass Effect
Hot Topic Starter 
Oxygen >.>

I've ran a search, and so far nothing has been discussed about this topic from what I've seen >.> Inform me if it has been.

Call me a whiny-little obsessive fan. Call me a "non-believer". I dont care; I feel a need to discuss - I'm one of those people who prefers science over faith

I've done some thinking about the Galaxy far, far away, as well as conducting abit of research and playing Mass Effect

Most of the planets within the Star Wars galaxy appear to have breathable air, for nearly every race to survive on. Lucas has a tendency to ignore some of the laws of both physics (there is no sound in space -.- ) and ecosystems especially -almost to the point where it has become utterly ridiculous!

Based upon the geology, many of the planets within Star Wars are unlikely to produce an oxygen-rich environment by academic standards. Take Mustafar for example; a volcanic moon with constantly errupting volcanos and lava flows. How Obi-Wan, Anakin and several other characters walking on that moon, and able to suvive the harsh conditions is beyond mystery.

Volcanos emit toxic fumes of Sulfur Dioxide, Hydrogen chloride, and hydrogen fluoride - which will undoubtly kill a person within seconds. There is also the fact considering the lava, because that itself will burn up alot of oxygen. Mustafar is also a highly unlikely candidate for terraforming; there is just simply no way of producing oxygen, without the molten lava burning it up.

I'm not asking for any solutions to these errors. I dont want dumb answers that consist of mainly "Duh, maybe oxygen isnt the only thing they breath..."
I just want people to understand and acknowledge the sheer ridiculous nature seen within the franchise, and perhaps share their insight ^-^

Last edited by Phantom Knight; 10-04-2009 at 04:38 AM.
Phantom Knight is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-04-2009, 03:36 AM   #2
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
Fiction.

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-04-2009, 06:05 AM   #3
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
Fiction.
I'd prefer 'Space Fantasy' to 'Science Fiction'. Star Wars makes little or no attempt to explain most of the science behind it, unlike proper Science Fiction, such as Star Trek.

I've long maintained that real-world science doesn't apply to Star Wars, no matter how much people try to shoe-horn it in to make sense. After all, this is a world where people can move starships with their minds, and where there are creatures made of calcified wood.

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-04-2009, 07:50 AM   #4
leXX
Forum Mum

10 year veteran! Hot Topic Starter LF Jester LFN Staff Member 
I've never understood why people dissect Star Wars so much. We all know half of the science is crap. Do you really want it to be so realistic? Imagine the space battles with absolutely no sound. Wouldn't be as good would it? My advice, chill out, don't take it so seriously and just enjoy it for what it is.

Being human totally sucks most of the time.
Videogames are the only thing that
make life bearable.
- Anorak's Almanac, Chapter 91, Verses 1-2

Add me on: XBL | PSN | Last.fm | Steam
leXX is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-04-2009, 09:18 AM   #5
Phantom Knight
BAANAAANAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

Current Game: Mass Effect
Hot Topic Starter 
Quote:
I've long maintained that real-world science doesn't apply to Star Wars, no matter how much people try to shoe-horn it in to make sense. After all, this is a world where people can move starships with their minds, and where there are creatures made of calcified wood.
You've forgotten talking Lobster-people that have a tendency to scream "Its a Trap!"

As Lucas pointed out, the target audience for the franchise is aimed towards children. So yes, it wouldnt be suprising to disregard the laws of physics in favour of awsome battle sequences consisting of people fighting each other with laser swords.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leXX View Post
Do you really want it to be so realistic? Imagine the space battles with absolutely no sound. Wouldn't be as good would it?
Pffft. Look at the space battles in Firefly and Serenity. Hardly any sound generated, yet turned out to be pretty awsome ^-^

Quote:
My advice, chill out, don't take it so seriously and just enjoy it for what it is.
Apologies. I dont mean to sound obsessive. I just happened to pick it up, and compare it to my own understanding.
Phantom Knight is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-04-2009, 10:13 AM   #6
leXX
Forum Mum

10 year veteran! Hot Topic Starter LF Jester LFN Staff Member 
No need to apologize, and I actually agree that the space battles in Firefly are completely awesome even without sound, but I just can't imagine Star Wars without it.

Being human totally sucks most of the time.
Videogames are the only thing that
make life bearable.
- Anorak's Almanac, Chapter 91, Verses 1-2

Add me on: XBL | PSN | Last.fm | Steam
leXX is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars > The Cantina > Oxygen >.>