lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Choking as Darkside
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-02-2008, 07:35 AM   #41
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
I think it's just a game mechanic coming out of the EU that people have tried to read back into the movies. It just doesn't work (and I should add that wookieepedia isn't canon).

Anyway, those Gammoreans did die, each had a family, and were just a few days away from retirement.

Sorry guys...

Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-02-2008, 11:11 AM   #42
Relenzo2
Forumite

Luke did not learn Force Choke from Yoda, he learnt is just then, sort of like Anikin, because of his talent. However, because of his limited teaching, he did not learn to control such "Dark Side" acts. Yes, he was being arrogent.

And size matters not! Do not underestimate the power of the human mind to limit itself, my friend. In the movies, Yoda versus Dooku, I would say that pylon-thin Yoda saved Luke and Obi-wan from was much larger than a starfighter.

"The beauty and genius of a work of film may be reconceived, though its first material expression be destroyed; a vanished fiction may yet again inspire the screenplay-writer; but when the last individual of a race of living directors, of artists, breathes no more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be again." -William Beebe, modified in memorial of the twentieth century

Su'cuy, vod, kar'laylirdarasuum me'suum!

Star Wars: The Plastic Director's Cut!
Relenzo2 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-02-2008, 01:34 PM   #43
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relenzo2 View Post
And size matters not! Do not underestimate the power of the human mind to limit itself, my friend. In the movies, Yoda versus Dooku, I would say that pylon-thin Yoda saved Luke and Obi-wan from was much larger than a starfighter.
Then let's not underestimate the power of the whatever-species-Yoda's-from mind.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-02-2008, 01:42 PM   #44
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
The senate pods were actually smaller than an X-wing[, for the record].

"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-03-2008, 07:44 PM   #45
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User

Well, we don't know whats the maximum Yoda can do with the force TK. Its like, yoda is not going to lift some random huge objects just because he can.

Also, it seems that the physical body DOE impose some limit to ones force ability, in the event that sometimes even if your mind can manage weaving extreme levels of force power, your body would give in not being able to handle it. Basically your body got too overloaded with force energy and starts burning out.

Its probably way mre obvious with the Sith, who tends to stress their force power alot more than them jedis.

PoiuyWired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-04-2008, 09:45 AM   #46
K_Kinnison
Grey Lensman

Forum Veteran Hot Topic Starter 10 year veteran! 
I really find it annoying when someone nitpicks a whole post.

If force powers were greater in power then Yoda Demostrated on Dagobah

The only one in Movies, or even the books to have demostrated Greater strength was Dorsk 81 (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dorsk...mate_sacrifice) but it was a special circumstance using the Yavin Temples to channel force energy into one person, and Dorsk 81 paid for it by having the force energies in his body burn him to a crisp.

Unless there is other evidence in the books/movies to support a claim that Size really matters not, we have to agree to the limit and quite frankly, i think it is a good idea. Otherwise we have too much "God mode" with force users and you end up seeing battles like the end of Matrix 3, or Dragonball Z where planets are destroyed and the combatants just get a little tired. In all the Epic Force battles we have seen it usually boils down to a Saber fight, and not who can toss the biggest object at someone else.

"A house threw at me, he did" would be a silly line I rather not see in Star Wars

BOW DOWN BEFORE the Official Forum Pun-isher
Official XWA flight instructor
get busy with it!
K_Kinnison is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-04-2008, 12:43 PM   #47
Maphisto86
Rookie

Sorry if you think I was "nitpicking" but I like to be thorough in my replies.

I agree I would not like to see Force powers go "God mode" and Jedi going Neo or Goku on their enemies, but I just think limiting the power of the Force to lifting nothing bigger then a X-Wing makes it seem unremarkable. There are other instances in the EU where vehicles larger then an X-Wing have been moved and even destroyed using the Force power of telekinesis. In the comic series "Dark Empire" as well as the first "Clone Wars" animated series.

Still like you I don't wish to debate symantics but rather just discuss the subject. Actually I feel like we went off topic a bit... so mea culpa.
Maphisto86 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-11-2008, 10:23 PM   #48
martmeister
Veteran

Current Game: FO3, G/2, DA, CODMF2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev7 View Post
I am pretty sure that Luke didn't kill that Gammorean, but he still used some type of force power that stunned the Gammorean.
He should've Force Choke Slammed him! Then Force Break Neck, Force Rip-off-Piggy Head, and finally Force Pull it up and Force Push in onto a skewered pole.

<No way you can read this. My handwriting's illegible>
martmeister is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-12-2008, 01:29 PM   #49
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
^ I smell some hostility toward pig-like races here.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-12-2008, 01:35 PM   #50
Great Scott!

Luke seems to like to show off his powers in RotJ, while keeping this sorta "yeah whatever" face about it all. He takes pride in what he's learned, maybe even thinking he's the most powerful person alive, until meeting the emperor of course. I think the movie was trying to imply that he would turn to the dark side later in the movie as to throw off the viewers, because it certainly did seem strange to me.

Hill Valley

"A nice place to live."
Great Scott! is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-12-2008, 02:06 PM   #51
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl Alt Del View Post
^ I smell some hostility toward pig-like races here.
Agreed. He should probably just take a breather.

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2009, 10:50 PM   #52
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
Stylistically, yes, ROTJ drops this as another of the hints that Luke is "becoming more like Vader" without bashing us over the head and saying "oh no, this is a DARK SIDE POWER!!!"

But otherwise, the main point is that Luke is much more powerful now, and these alien thugs don't intimidate him. Remember also, that as the Prequels hadn't been written yet, we were left to ourselves to imagine what a "real Jedi" would do in such a situation.

Of course, all of Yoda's blather about seeming pacifism (which seems to contradict his idea that Luke needs to "conquer Vader and his Emperor" (what, non-violently? he doesn't bother explaining this to Luke very well, the scenes on Dagobah could be interpreted as just saying he needs to remain calm while killing) is contradicted by his character's own behavior in the Prequels. Apparently the Jedi have no qualms about "kicking butt" and only employ diplomacy when strategically necessary. These aren't guy with codes against killing.

So then the question is, what DOES it mean to "go darkside"? The prequels don't fully answer this, so again it's a big matter of speculation. The EU tries a lot of different explanations, but these two are interpretations and often contradictory.

So since this is a movie and not a video game (or pencil & paper RPG), it's anyone's guess. My guess is that the movies are basically saying that if you have to kill, do it without personal malice. However I realize that this philosophy could be misread to say it was justifying being a "cold blooded killer." This would have been an interesting topic to explore more fully in the other movies, but they really didn't.

As flawed a movie as "Watchmen" was, I think it dealt with the issue (of "good guys" using lethal force and other questionable methods to achieve their ends) much better.

But perhaps we can say Lucas, in leaving it deliberately vague, left more room for this to be the beginning of a discussion of morality and spirituality, rather than hammering us over the head with his "answer." In the Prequels Anakin comes off as a psychotic, more than anything, while Luke comes off in the OT as a good person at heart who gets his emotions toyed with at various times by various people to manipulate him, but ultimately makes his own decision when the time comes, which turns out to be the right one.

Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-25-2009, 01:31 PM   #53
noizer
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGH ON PIE 14 View Post
But in martial arts moves today isnt it possible to stun someone by cutting off most, but not all air?.
i can anwser this since i am a big mixed martial arts fan

its not cutting of someone's air but stopping the bloodflow to the brains for a few sec that make's someone uncounsious.

noizer is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars > Original Trilogy > Choking as Darkside