lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: For all of you people still having problems running the game
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 02-11-2009, 03:25 PM   #1
Longcat

For all of you people still having problems running the game

I still can't guarantee that it will work, but I can say with some certainty that this will work on 95-99% of Windows platforms.

Make a full install to HD, download this archive:

http://maybe.means.no/grim/GRIMDATA.rar

and extract it to your game folder. Overwrite all files when prompted.

Enjoy.

NB! Note that this will change the games written language to english! I don't own other language editions. The trick is to make a full install to hd, apply the patch from LucasArts yourself and replace the main executable with the one from my archive. The aforementioned can all be done with bgbennyboys installer for Grim Fandango:

http://quick.mixnmojo.com/grim-fandango-setup

Note!: This does not fix compatibility issues with newer Nvidia cards.

edit: post updated with new download link 05.07.2010.

Last edited by Longcat; 07-05-2010 at 02:43 PM.
Longcat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-11-2009, 04:15 PM   #2
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

Hot Topic Starter Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
Any info on what exactly this does?

Thrik is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-11-2009, 04:41 PM   #3
Longcat

Patches the game, disables hyperthreading and problems on dualcore systems. I might have changed more, but it's been so long since I made these that I can't really remember:P
I have the changelog somewhere, I'll dig it up tomorrow. Tested on XP, Vista 32 & 64 bit and on other Windows platforms by other users. I haven't met anyone who had problems running GF after applying this, but by all means, prove me wrong and I'll try to fix it.
Edit; oh, and I think there's a registry patch in there to enable the good_times key(debug mode) but you can already do that manually or through bgbennyboys installer methinks.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:40 AM   #4
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

OK, excellent. Stickied it, btw.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:23 PM   #5
Grim Paranoid
Lurker

Any chance to apply those fixes to the german version without changing the language to english?
Grim Paranoid is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-01-2009, 01:57 PM   #6
Longcat

I don't know, I don't think it should affect the language at all?

Have you tried it?
Old 03-05-2009, 01:06 PM   #7
Spektor
Lurker

It definitely changes the language. Mine was in Spanish and after this all the written text (dialoge options and subtitles) changed to English. Any chance of releasing this in spanish or without changing the original language? Maybe is an .exe thing or something?
Spektor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-06-2009, 06:03 PM   #8
Longcat

That is possible but unlikely.

I don't have the spanish or german editions so it's hard for me to test, but if any of you are able to send it to me(the main executable) I could fix it.

It's been a while since I messed around with these so I don't really remember what's what but I'll have a looksee

Last edited by Longcat; 03-08-2009 at 12:02 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:40 AM   #9
Mr.Reaper
Rookie

brilliant patch!

not only did it fix all my voice, music and cutscene launching problems but i can now play without the disk and have no freezes.

thank you so m uch!!
Mr.Reaper is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-08-2009, 12:06 PM   #10
Longcat

np.

Nice to hear it works for you
Old 03-09-2009, 02:04 PM   #11
Spektor
Lurker

I'm going to upload my main exe in a while. I'll edit here.

EDIT: Here it is, my EXE, spanish version with patch.
http://www.mediafire.com/?jwtmznwmd30 (RAR version)
http://www.mediafire.com/?kwyxtyrzyjl (EXE version)
Old 03-12-2009, 09:56 AM   #12
Spektor
Lurker

I think I found the problem...all the menu, subtitles and everything are in the GRIM.TAB file. I'll try without it now. Is it necesary for any of the advantages given in the first post?
Old 03-14-2009, 06:34 AM   #13
Longcat

dude, sorry for the late reply.
that's actually what I thought...

No, the grim.tab file is only affected/updated by LucasArts own patch.
Which means, if you leave it intact it will not be patched but this has nothing to do with hyperthreading issues. One solution would be to install the game, patch it and then simply replace the main executable with the one from my archive.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:35 PM   #14
Spektor
Lurker

That's what I did, I have my game in spanish but graphics errors everywhere. I'm on a 9500GT.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:19 PM   #15
Longcat

Well, that is because of your graphics card then, I am sorry but there is currently no fix for newer Nvidia cards. The only advise I can give you is either to try software mode or Residual.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:09 PM   #16
Paal
Lurker

Thanks for the great fix, Jona
Og.. Er du norsk?
Paal is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-30-2009, 08:34 PM   #17
Longcat

You are welcome

Og ja.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:06 AM   #18
d777
Lurker

hi

the game runs okay with me
but when i hit F1 there's no menu show up or save game

please please help me i cant save the game

my system is vista
d777 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-20-2009, 03:29 PM   #19
MeddlingMonk
Veteran

More than likely the source of your trouble is that on your computer F1 is bound to some other action. I'm not a user of Vista but I'm betting it's similar to the situation with OSX: on a Mac, F1 is bound to dimming the display. If I need to use F1 for a program-specific function (like bringing up a game menu in Residual or ScummVM) I have to press a key labeled fn along with F1 to override the OS keybinding. If there is some symbol on or above the F1 key on your keyboard, then I must be right in thinking it's basically the same on your computer. But I have no idea what other key you would need to press along with F1. It could be a special key like fn, whatever it's Vista label actually is, or it could something standard like ctrl, alt or the Windows key. You could check your OS documentation or just experiment.
MeddlingMonk is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-21-2009, 09:40 AM   #20
d777
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeddlingMonk View Post
More than likely the source of your trouble is that on your computer F1 is bound to some other action. I'm not a user of Vista but I'm betting it's similar to the situation with OSX: on a Mac, F1 is bound to dimming the display. If I need to use F1 for a program-specific function (like bringing up a game menu in Residual or ScummVM) I have to press a key labeled fn along with F1 to override the OS keybinding. If there is some symbol on or above the F1 key on your keyboard, then I must be right in thinking it's basically the same on your computer. But I have no idea what other key you would need to press along with F1. It could be a special key like fn, whatever it's Vista label actually is, or it could something standard like ctrl, alt or the Windows key. You could check your OS documentation or just experiment.

thanks that helped me
d777 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-13-2009, 03:33 PM   #21
Kloppstock
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jona View Post
I still can't guarantee that it will work, but I can say with some certainty that this will work on 95-99% of Windows platforms.

Make a full install to HD, download this archive:

http://folk.ntnu.no/bjarner/Grim/GRIMDATA.rar

and extract it to your game folder. Overwrite all files when prompted.

Enjoy.

NB! Note that this will change the games written language to english! I don't own other language editions. The trick is to make a full install to hd, apply the patch from LucasArts yourself and replace the main executable with the one from my archive. The aforementioned can all be done with bgbennyboys installer for Grim Fandango:

http://quick.mixnmojo.com/grim-fandango-setup

Note!: This does not fix compatibility issues with newer Nvidia cards.
Im using that modified setup, and it gives me the alternative to atleast play grim in windowed mode, cause choosing fullscreen causes game crasch directley
..i suppose my global destop resolution 1680X1050 can affect a bit so if i want to play in fullscreen what is the right resolution i must sett desktop to?

it thou troubles me to see that enabling 3d accelerator ingame causes some small pixel looses, on the other hand i have setted my ATI with 8x anti aliasing and 16X anisotropic filtering, will that create same effect as the ingame graphic accelerator would have made?
so is there any one in here who plays with both 3d accelerator and it who can compare them?
Kloppstock is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2009, 05:15 AM   #22
Longcat

GF runs with a native resolution of 640x480. The game should switch to that mode when you start it up anyway.

Please post a screenshot of what you mean by 'pixel losses'. GF runs fine on my ATi Radeon 4850 HD on an iMac with full hardware acceleration.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:57 AM   #23
Kloppstock
Rookie

Quote:
GF runs with a native resolution of 640x480. The game should switch to that mode when you start it up anyway.

Please post a screenshot of what you mean by 'pixel losses'. GF runs fine on my ATi Radeon 4850 HD on an iMac with full hardware acceleration.

Free Image Hosting by ImageBam.com

I posted this pics in another thread here earlier this year, you there replied on them that you think its caused by my graphic driver
i have tested alot of latest catalyst versions since i took this pics, it simply doenst wanna work on any of them

Perhaps if it exist some special inofficial radeon driver optimized to solve game troubles? when i still hade Geforce i know it existed such drivers atleast
or i must have some direction how to sett the latest catalyst drive right for Grim, there are tripple buffering, advanced AI etc, as we all know, perhaps thei can screw it up, but in my opinion i have tested all kinds of setting combinations, still i wouldnt trust on myself here
Old 10-19-2009, 10:36 PM   #24
MeddlingMonk
Veteran

OK. The cause for this is your anti-aliasing setting, most likely. Do you know what you have FSAA set to currently?
Old 10-20-2009, 09:12 AM   #25
Kloppstock
Rookie

Quote:
OK. The cause for this is your anti-aliasing setting, most likely. Do you know what you have FSAA set to currently?
This days i have ticked "application controlled" in catalyst, but i dont have Grim fandango installed now but if i do it, i take that as you would recommend keep having "application controlled"=0?
Old 10-20-2009, 07:52 PM   #26
MeddlingMonk
Veteran

It kind of depends on how 'much' anti-aliasing is being applied. If you're only choice is to have it on or off, for GF off is probably best. But if you have choices like 2x, 4x, 8x, and other choices (which you probably don't have access to unless you're using an unofficial settings tweaker), GF tends to like settings like 2x or 2x1 or 2x2 best, depending (on what, I don't know).
Old 10-21-2009, 04:23 AM   #27
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

Another issue to be aware of is that either newer GeForce cards or drivers (not sure which) completely waste Grim Fandango, and the same may be the case for Radeon. Try going to the game's options and disabling hardware acceleration to circumvent the graphics card altogether.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:07 PM   #28
MeddlingMonk
Veteran

Yeah, another reason to hope for fairly speedy development of Residual (which is all a non-coder like me can do).
Old 10-25-2009, 06:49 AM   #29
Kloppstock
Rookie

Quote:
It kind of depends on how 'much' anti-aliasing is being applied. If you're only choice is to have it on or off, for GF off is probably best. But if you have choices like 2x, 4x, 8x, and other choices (which you probably don't have access to unless you're using an unofficial settings tweaker), GF tends to like settings like 2x or 2x1 or 2x2 best, depending (on what, I don't know).
Quote:

It goes wery backwards now in alot of areas at the same time

Downloading the extra "GRIMDATA" package to the game directory causes some problems now for me, as soon as merging the regfile "goodtimes" to computer, the game exe file stopps responding after, the question is if the patch take any effect if not using goodtime? does this package involve the official patch 1.01?

Have now reinstalled game throu "GrimSetup1.0" with standalone "Gfupd101"

starting throu modified "Grim Launcher" causes this message on both "Play Fullscreen" and "Windowed Mode"
double klick

it still doenst like my desktop resolution it seems?

However if starting throu the CD autorun it will work, but it doesnt look good as usual
there are two options i have, if choose to use ingame 3d accelerator, all people in the world will become invisible unless Many runs
if disable 3d accelerator instead, it will ironicly create a shadow snailtrail behind Many when he runs
and in my opinion catalyst own settings there will not affect these 2 crap modes no matter how you sett them

Catalyst settings available i have mixtured with

Old 10-25-2009, 10:01 AM   #30
MeddlingMonk
Veteran

Some of what you are describing, especially models disappearing if the game's 3D is turned on, still sounds very much like problems caused by too-high FSAA settings. If you're using the official driver config and such settings aren't available, I'd suggest finding some unofficial Radeon tweaker (something akin to RivaTuner--which is adding Radeon support although I have no idea how much tweaking of Radeon adapters it'll let you do yet) to see what level of FSAA is set and adjust as I've already suggested. I cannot stress this enough: I think you're probably wasting your time unless and until you check into this FSAA question.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:43 PM   #31
Kloppstock
Rookie

Quote:
to see what level of FSAA is set and adjust as I've already suggested. I cannot stress this enough: I think you're probably wasting your time unless and until you check into this FSAA question.
Im not sure i understand english allways, so how do i check what FSAA i have setted in catalyst? cause there is a difference between standard AA and your FSAA right?

this is not any telling FSAA right? but its the lowest AA settings i can ever squeeze out, and this doesnt work with Grim
Old 10-30-2009, 08:22 PM   #32
MeddlingMonk
Veteran

There's really no difference between AA and FSAA apart from two extra letters that stand for 'full screen'. I'm showing my age by using an older term. From your screenshot, the only thing I'm concerned about is the top section about antialiasing. I don't have your hardware so I can't experiment, only guess. I normally wouldn't think that having 'use application settings' checked would be a problem for GF, but am I right in thinking it was and you had problems? If so, unchecking that option and leaving the slider all the way to the left ought to be OK but I'm not sure. All I can say is that the same setting worked fine for me on an older computer I no longer have with an Nvidia card. On the chance you already tried that as well, I'm curious about the filter drop-down. What other choices are there other than 'box'? I think I know what 'filter' is about but manufacturers have their own jargon sometimes.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:49 PM   #33
Kloppstock
Rookie

Quote:
There's really no difference between AA and FSAA apart from two extra letters that stand for 'full screen'. I'm showing my age by using an older term. From your screenshot, the only thing I'm concerned about is the top section about antialiasing. I don't have your hardware so I can't experiment, only guess. I normally wouldn't think that having 'use application settings' checked would be a problem for GF, but am I right in thinking it was and you had problems? If so, unchecking that option and leaving the slider all the way to the left ought to be OK but I'm not sure. All I can say is that the same setting worked fine for me on an older computer I no longer have with an Nvidia card. On the chance you already tried that as well, I'm curious about the filter drop-down. What other choices are there other than 'box'? I think I know what 'filter' is about but manufacturers have their own jargon sometimes.
Yes Grim hade no problem with AA enabled on my pretty modern Geforce card either, the only thing keeping me from still using it is that i think i need the extra ram in this ati card!!

I have tested both application settings and the other alternative '2X AA'
i may see that as a problem..that you cant disable AA fully with Radeon, what if Grim having issue with as low as 2 AA, and what if "application settings" grayed out 2X AA still are forcing 2X AA ingame even thou this sounds like it should have no AA

The other filter options are

Narrow-tent
Wide-tent
Edge-detect

have never tested to change here
Old 11-01-2009, 04:45 PM   #34
MeddlingMonk
Veteran

If you can't full disable the antialiasing, that could be a problem if that's what's happening. Are you sure it is? Unfortunately, I don't see any point in trying those other filter options because they are higher settings: box is lowest quality and edge-detect is highest, just like 2x is also a low-end setting. And that's very odd because 2x plus box should be fine for GF because that kind of setting was available to adapters that were around when GF was new. There could be hidden settings. I'd be surprised if there weren't, but you'd need an unofficial Radeon tweaker of some sort to fiddle with them. I've never had a Radeon so I've never had the opportunity to tweak one, which means I've helped all I possibly can.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:26 PM   #35
ConceptJunkie124
Lurker

The installer asks for me to put in Disc 2 during the setup, is this patch only for people who own a physical copy of the game or is there a way to get around this?

EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out. =)
ConceptJunkie124 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-05-2009, 03:29 PM   #36
Kloppstock
Rookie

I just switched graphic card from ATI to Nvidia just to get Grim to work
A Geforce 8600 GTS, latest nvidia driver installed

here is the new result lol (3d accelerator disabled)

3d accelerator enabled crashes the game directley

and here is my nvidia settings, as low as possible as far as i can see? no AA active!

Now i have only one chance left i have buyed a new processor and mothercard (no, not for Grim's sake) perhaps its my current computer who have screwed up every grahic card with Grim? :¬: or perhaps the fate for me is that Fandango shall remain a fading memory only when i sit there in diaper at the "home"

Last edited by Kloppstock; 12-05-2009 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:35 PM   #37
MeddlingMonk
Veteran

That's a seriously weird screenshot. The colors in those horizontal stripes make me think they're actually Manny. I've never seen or heard of anything like that before.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:26 PM   #38
lanux128
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloppstock View Post
I just switched graphic card from ATI to Nvidia just to get Grim to work
A Geforce 8600 GTS, latest nvidia driver installed
i had the same problem with my Geforce 8600GT and i wrote a fix for the problem. it's on this thread: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=197200. you can try if you want to.
lanux128 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-08-2009, 09:21 AM   #39
Kloppstock
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanux128 View Post
i had the same problem with my Geforce 8600GT and i wrote a fix for the problem. it's on this thread: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=197200. you can try if you want to.
Nice thanks, the problem for me is that i cant succesfully enable 3d accelerator before starting your tool, cause game crash upon enabling and return to disable
i then ignored that and simply started game throu your tool, it hade disable possibility to enable 3d inside options, but the stripes from my screenshot is still present im afraid

however i must test this on my ATI card allso i feel, there i can atleast enable 3d accelerator

Last edited by Kloppstock; 12-08-2009 at 09:30 AM.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:44 AM   #40
Kloppstock
Rookie

With various trix including windows 98 compatibility mode, i can with grimDDfix
now get this result
i dont remember how good the shadow originaly shall be, but this is still far away from it right?
if i just could disable shadows now, i could accept this

add lowest down setting= vertical sync - force off
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Grim Fandango Discussion > General Forums > Glottis' Garage > For all of you people still having problems running the game