lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Life origins (aka creationism vs abiogenesis)
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 12-29-2009, 01:11 AM   #1
Achilles
Dapper Chimp
 
Achilles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 8,204
Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Life origins (aka creationism vs abiogenesis)

It is an unfortunately reality that many people consider the scientific theory of evolution to be a life origins topic. The reality is that the theory of evolution makes no claims regarding life origins. The theory states that all life sprung forth from single-celled organisms and over a period of billions of years, evolved into the various flora and fauna that we see around us today.

What it does not do is make definitive statements regarding where those single-celled organisms come from. Some theists that accept the theory of evolution are likely to state that god created them and that evolution is part of his/her/its plan. Others consider abiogenesis to be a promising hypothesis while other who are more honest and less brave simply opt to cast their vote for "I have no idea".

Before we kick things off, I'd like to establish some ground rules for this thread:

1) This is a life origins thread. Discussion regarding the theory of evolution should probably go into one of the evolution threads. This is about how life started, not about whether or not life changed.

2) "god of the gaps" is not allowed. In other words, the christian god will not be declared winner by default just because "science doesn't know". Of course religious figures and themes will be welcome, but "goddunit" is not.

That's it! So, creationism vs abiogenesis - what are your thoughts?
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-29-2009, 11:19 AM   #2
Alexrd
Senior Member
 
Alexrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Portugal
Posts: 2,161
Current Game: UEFA Euro 2004
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
I believe on creationism "and" abiogenesis, instead of "versus".

And picking the subject of the other thread, what's the science's answer to the question: Why are we here?
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-29-2009, 11:45 AM   #3
Achilles
Dapper Chimp
 
Achilles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 8,204
Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrd View Post
I believe on creationism "and" abiogenesis, instead of "versus".
I guess I would need to understand how you are defining those terms before I could fully grasp the argument.

If life popped into existence, fully formed, per creationism, then that would seem to run counter to abiogenesis (life from non-living matter).

Similarly, if life could have evolved from non-living matter, then how is a creation hypothesis even necessary?

I'm not sure we can have both at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrd View Post
And picking the subject of the other thread, what's the science's answer to the question: Why are we here?
IIRC, the question I offered to discuss is "how did we get here", not "why are we here". If you'll recall, I indicated that I consider the latter to be something of a silly question.

Regarding the former, I recommend this.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-29-2009, 12:11 PM   #4
Alexrd
Senior Member
 
Alexrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Portugal
Posts: 2,161
Current Game: UEFA Euro 2004
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
I guess I would need to understand how you are defining those terms before I could fully grasp the argument.
Indeed. When you say abiogenesis, are you talking about the "soup" theory?
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-29-2009, 12:39 PM   #5
Achilles
Dapper Chimp
 
Achilles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 8,204
Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrd View Post
Indeed. When you say abiogenesis, are you talking about the "soup" theory?
I'm assuming that you're referring to "primordial soup"? The concept is a little outdated, but essentially, yes: abiogenesis is the study of how living matter could have evolved from non-living material. The video that I linked to earlier has more details.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-29-2009, 02:40 PM   #6
Alexrd
Senior Member
 
Alexrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Portugal
Posts: 2,161
Current Game: UEFA Euro 2004
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
I'm assuming that you're referring to "primordial soup"? The concept is a little outdated, but essentially, yes: abiogenesis is the study of how living matter could have evolved from non-living material.
I know what abiogenesis is. But since the concept includes many theories, as there is many types of creationism, I though you were talking about the most known theory of abiogenesis, which is the primordial soup and the formation of monomers.

As for Creationism and Abiogenesis; I believe that for the appearance of monomers there are certain conditions needed such as temperature, chemical compounds, etc... Such conditions are very rare on the Universe, and I believe that something(chance, luck, God, destiny, whatever...) should have created these conditions so that life could be created.

As for the video, I'll watch it now.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-29-2009, 03:10 PM   #7
Achilles
Dapper Chimp
 
Achilles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 8,204
Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrd View Post
I know what abiogenesis is. But since the concept includes many theories, as there is many types of creationism, I though you were talking about the most known theory of abiogenesis, which is the primordial soup and the formation of monomers.
First, I think the word you're looking for is hypothesis, not theories.

Second, as I stated earlier, "primordial soup" is an outdated concept, so I'm not sure that I agree that it should be equated with "abiogenesis".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrd View Post
As for Creationism and Abiogenesis; I believe that for the appearance of monomers there are certain conditions needed such as temperature, chemical compounds, etc... Such conditions are very rare on the Universe
Really? According to whom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrd View Post
and I believe that something(chance, luck, God, destiny, whatever...) should have created these conditions so that life could be created.
I'm having some difficulty parsing this out. I don't think you'll find much argument that "chance", "luck" (which I would consider to be synonymous with chance), or "whatever" were a factor. What I find interesting is that you consider both "chance" and "god" to be viable options. One of these options is pretty obvious while the other comes loaded with all kinds of unfounded assumptions and baseless assertions. I'm not sure where we go from here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrd View Post
As for the video, I'll watch it now.
Enjoy!
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-29-2009, 03:44 PM   #8
Alexrd
Senior Member
 
Alexrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Portugal
Posts: 2,161
Current Game: UEFA Euro 2004
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
Second, as I stated earlier, "primordial soup" is an outdated concept, so I'm not sure that I agree that it should be equated with "abiogenesis".
Not equal, but connected or associated with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
Really? According to whom?
According to what we have seen so far. I'm not sure we've found life outside Earth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
What I find interesting is that you consider both "chance" and "god" to be viable options. One of these options is pretty obvious while the other comes loaded with all kinds of unfounded assumptions and baseless assertions. I'm not sure where we go from here.
Which one is pretty obivous and which one is loaded with all kinds of unfounded assumptions and baseless assertions? How can you claim that those assumptions are unfounded?
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-29-2009, 03:57 PM   #9
Achilles
Dapper Chimp
 
Achilles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 8,204
Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrd View Post
Not equal, but connected or associated with.
You said:

"But since the concept includes many theories, as there is many types of creationism, I though you were talking about the most known theory of abiogenesis, which is the primordial soup and the formation of monomers."

So which is it? Are you equating "primordial soup theory" with "abiogenesis" or aren't you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrd View Post
According to what we have seen so far. I'm not sure we've found life outside Earth.
That doesn't tell us anything at all about how rare those circumstances are or are not.

You're suggesting that because we only know about life in one place that it must therefore be a rare occurence. Considering the overwhelming lack of data, I don't know how (or why) you feel this assumption is justified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrd View Post
Which one is pretty obivous and which one is loaded with all kinds of unfounded assumptions and baseless assertions?
"Chance" is the obvious one. Go back and re-read your sentence with each of your options and tell me how this sounds:

"I believe that chance should have created these conditions so that life could be created."

vs

"I believe that God should have created these conditions so that life could be created."

I hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrd View Post
How can you claim that those assumptions are unfounded?
Because one of these things is not a scientific hypothesis. Since it doesn't have any supporting evidence and cannot be falsified, it doesn't tell us anything useful. If you have evidence to the contrary, please feel free to correct me where I am wrong.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-29-2009, 04:26 PM   #10
Totenkopf
English spoken in What
 
Totenkopf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: What?
Posts: 4,787
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by achilles
"Chance" is the obvious one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by achilles
Considering the overwhelming lack of data, I don't know how (or why) you feel this assumption is justified.
Now, that is irony. How anyone jumps to a conclusion being obvious in the face of a dearth of facts and claims to be "scientific" in their approach is ironically astounding. Also, the juxtaposition of these two comments was too rich to pass up.


Quote:
Because one of these things is not a scientific hypothesis. Since it doesn't have any supporting evidence and cannot be falsified, it doesn't tell us anything useful.
Kind of like the anthropogenic global warming theory.


Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Community > Senate Chambers > Life origins (aka creationism vs abiogenesis)

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:26 PM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.