lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: Which Monkey Island is your favourite?
Secret of Monkey Island 26 26.26%
Monkey Isand 2: Lechuck's Revenge 35 35.35%
Curse of Monkey Island 34 34.34%
Escape from Monkey Island 4 4.04%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: What's your favourite MI game, and why.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-19-2006, 09:36 PM   #41
Das Mole
Das Me

10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Wow. I have not spoken of Monkey Island in like...forever.

My personal favorite, however, was the second one. Followed by Curse. Then Secret. Then Escape.

If you ask me, the whole 3d thing was kinda eh, and the controls were a bit messed up and stuff. As for the first one, I liked it but of course once developers get the first one under their belt, they're more likely to produce a better one the next time around, which they did. Curse was good, I liked the plot and the way it was drawn as well. But LCR was awesome. I liked the different islands thing, it was fantastic.

I wish they'd come out with a Monkey Island 5. Obviously they won't at this point, but it would be so cool if they did.
Das Mole is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-04-2006, 07:33 PM   #42
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky

Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
I actually liked Secret of Monkey Island...It followed pretty well to Grim Fandango styled game...so it was sweet...haven't played MI 1 or 2, so I can't really judge though...

If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-07-2006, 07:36 PM   #43
Dr Edison 007
Forumite

The Secret of Monkey Island definitely.

It had the best atmosphere, humor, ending, etc. of all the games. Its my second favorite adventure game ever, second to Sam & Max.

We're not gay, but we ARE willing to learn.
Dr Edison 007 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-08-2006, 07:10 AM   #44
liamandamonkey
Lurker

I Played CMI first, I didn't even know the other games existed until after finishing it, thats why I think CMI's the best.

The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

--Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

Not Lucasarts I know, but...... Eh.
liamandamonkey is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-09-2006, 02:06 AM   #45
Mr Cheese
Rookie

My detailed analysis:

Storyline
1 - MI2. A quest for four map pieces to the greatest treasure of all time that leads you into the clutches of your worst enemy. Lots of background story too.
2 - MI3. Similar to that of MI1 but with more background story.
3 - MI1. Typical story. Villain steals your love interest, you set out to save her, showdown with villain, with a twist at the end.
4 - MI4. Uhh. Something to do with tourists and a land developer with a bad Australian accent.

Graphics
1 - MI3. It's not 3D but it looks so much better than MI4. Beautiful hand-drawn backgrounds and characters. By far the most good-looking game of all time. I'm judging these by how good they look by the way, not resolution or anything like that.
2 - MI2. Hand drawn also but low resolution. Had almost as good atmosphere as MI3.
3 - MI4. The background were nice but the characters stuck out horribly off the backgrounds. And the character models weren't much to look at. But to be fair, it was better than in MI1
4 - MI1. Well, as far as graphics go it's not much to look at. I think it was done on paint.

Music
1 - MI3. WOWEE! What can I say? It's the best soundtrack of any game ever. It draws you into the game and the sounds make you feel like you're there. Great ambience but with a strong tune and great adventure music.
2 - MI2. Some very good original tunes. Woodtick was especially good. My favourite was the music in Largo's room.
3 - MI4. This was pretty good. But had bad tunes as well as good. At least it had music running through the entire game. The ambience was annoying though and drew from the environment.
4 - MI1. Some good tunes but there were only a couple and a few were irritating.

Ending
1 - MI2. I thought it was a great ending. I didn't find it too confusing. It was like how a book ends and says "But it was all a dream... or was it?" I don't know of any other games that did this. Probably one of the most controversial endings too.
2 - MI4. I don't know about everyone else but I liked the "Herman is Marley" idea. Not very well explained but for me, a very satisfying ending.
3 - MI1 and MI3. I liked them both and they were pretty similar. Both had a romantic ending.

Humor
1 - MI2. Some bits were a little harsh but oh so funny. The 'bust' jokes at the Elaine's place. And the Phatt island guard.
2 - MI3. Very close between 2 and 3. I loved the barbershop quartet tryouts. And swindling a budding young entrepeneur.
3 - MI1. Most of the humor was in the characters and conflicts. Insult swordfighting was great.
4 - MI4. The jokes were either lude or smothered with corn. Did like the jokes about the Jambalaya waitress.

Overall, MI2 wins, followed by MI3 then MI1 then MI4.

Mmmmm, maggoty!
Mr Cheese is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-15-2006, 08:25 AM   #46
faceNside
Lurker

LCR, perfection from the beggining to the end.

SMI is fantastic aswell but lacks of the deep of MI2, and the sense of freedom some of you have commented.

CMI is killed by its end (it surprised me, once you become a kid it's too short, and it just doesn't match the huge amount of info per dialogue that fills the whole game, it seems they were in a hurry to end up the game or something like that).

EMI, no comments, it seems a totally different game and isn't worth to wear the Monkey Island words on its title.

Last edited by faceNside; 08-15-2006 at 08:37 AM.
faceNside is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-17-2006, 06:47 AM   #47
Lina

1. Curse was the first one I played, so I do have a biased attachment to it. I love cartoons and 2D animation, so I enjoy its look the best. Bill Tiller also did some breathtaking backgrounds. The music was magnificent, and the environment immersive. I also thought it was the funniest.

2. I like MI2 for its thrilling plot. You're wanted everywhere, and you know LeChuck is making a plan to kill ya.

3. MI1 was good as well, what can I say?

4. EMI relied way too heavily on pop culture references. I know MI uses pop culture jokes, but this is first time it's taken the center plot. It also completely ignored what the previous games established (ex. see Herman Toothrot). CMI at least had an optional segment that explained everything in detail about what happened between the two games.
Lina is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-08-2006, 05:21 PM   #48
Sotaria
Rookie

I am kind of surprised to see MI2 so highly ranked. I remember when it first came out it seemed like everyone HATED the ending and were ready to stage riots in the streets! I'm not sure MI3 ever really explained the ending to MI2, although I do think they made some jabs at it.

Anyway, the first three were all great. I went with 3 because of Murray, but 1 and 2 are the true classics that started it all. MI4 may not rank up there, but it one of the few 3D Adventure games I have ever been able to make it all the way through.

Only Day of the Tentacle comes close to the MI series.
Sotaria is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-09-2006, 06:45 AM   #49
Alien426
'll take away your bucket

I never got all the reactions to Murray. He is a good character, but he doesn't contribute very much.

Alien426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-11-2006, 03:51 AM   #50
Joshi
Registered Amuser

Location: Wherever the wind takes me... or failing that the nearest cinema.
LFN Staff Member 
It's the one liners he came up with, remember, you're movie is only as good as it's extras.

Joshi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-14-2006, 01:34 AM   #51
tunaleg
Lurker

1. SMI
2. CMI
3. MI2/EMI
tunaleg is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-16-2006, 09:06 AM   #52
Baja
Rookie

I picked MI2. It would have been CMI, but the ending of that game really bothered me. It was too short and abrupt, plus I didn't really enjoy the whole sea combat portion.
Baja is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-16-2006, 09:57 AM   #53
Joshi
Registered Amuser

Location: Wherever the wind takes me... or failing that the nearest cinema.
LFN Staff Member 
You do realise the sea combat was made infinately easier if you just asked Haggis to let everyone help you (thus sea battles were ended with a single hit).

And yeah, the ending was short, the development team had planned a much more elaborate and better ending, but ran out of time/money near the end and just threw out a cheap one.

Joshi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-24-2006, 09:21 AM   #54
Fox Dye
Lurker

I voted CMI, because I haven't played the first one, played half of the second and finished the 4th. LeChucks Revenge was a pretty good and enjoyable game. I liked CMI a bit better though. EMI was sort of dissapointing, but it was still Monkey Island, so I forgave LucasArts and played it through.
Fox Dye is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-05-2007, 04:08 AM   #55
Phantom Knight
BAANAAANAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

Current Game: Mass Effect
Hot Topic Starter 
I choose MI3. For the following reasons:

-It was funnier

-The voice actor Dominic Armardo (I think thats how you spell his name) was absolutly fantastic.

-MI4's storyline sucked!

-Murry is my favorite character!
Phantom Knight is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2007, 04:02 PM   #56
Achrono
Rookie

I had to vote CMI because I havent tried the first 2 (although im dying to) and EMI was.... a decent attempt but doesnt compete with the previous one.
Achrono is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-30-2007, 07:32 PM   #57
BigMike322
Rookie

Secret and LeChuck's revenge are definitly the best
BigMike322 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-01-2007, 07:28 AM   #58
ussenter
Lurker

lechuck's revenge is simply the best pc game ever made to me, i played it on my old dos pc years ago, en really played it for years. simply briliand
ussenter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-30-2008, 09:05 AM   #59
evilguy12
Rookie

Current Game: Valkyria Chronicles
1. CMI/MI2 I can't really choose between these two. They are both funny, great fun to play and have great sound.

2.SMI I found this game still pretty fun. It isn't nearly as funny are or as Varied (only 3 different places in entire game) as MI2/CMI.

3.EMI Wasn't a fan of the graphics, wasn't as funny, not nearly as fun and I didn't really like the story.
evilguy12 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-31-2008, 05:05 PM   #60
Captain Blizzard
Lurker

Even though I don't own the game itself and it's been five years since I played it, LeChuck's Revenge is my favourite. It's made the biggest lasting impression on me; a game I feel particularly excited about playing. Atmospheric as hell as well as funny. I'm definitely gonna pick it up when I find it cheap.
Captain Blizzard is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-01-2008, 02:41 AM   #61
Aticus
Rookie

My favorite would be the first monkey island of the series.I remember when I was a kid,it was the first game I've ever seen on my cousin's amiga.To me it was a hell of the fun to watch..Eventually I picked the game my self and started to play on my PC.It's still one of the games that marked my childhood.
MI I love you

Aticus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-01-2008, 08:27 AM   #62
LordTrilobite

Oh this is a hard one, I played MI 1, 2 and 3

All three are of course a lot of fun, but I think I like MI1 most.

LCR was kinda confusing at times when searching for all the four pieces of the map, and CMI sometimes uses some old jokes used in the previous games.

LordTrilobite is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-24-2009, 09:53 AM   #63
Crusadergirl
Lurker

Current Game: AC or Fable 2 or PoP
Ohh...that is hard...

The Curse of Monkey Island...just because Murray has one of the most funniest comments in it. XD

[Guybrush encounters a talking skull, floating in the water.]
Guybrush: Can I call you ‘Bob’? (Referring to the undead pirate Bob from the first game whose skull kept falling off)
Murray: You may call me ‘Murray’! I am a powerful demonic force! I am the harbinger of your doom! And the forces of darkness will applaud me as I stride through the Gates of Hell – carrying your head on a pike!
Guybrush: “Stride”?
Murray: All right then, roll! Roll through the Gates of Hell! Must you take the fun out of everything?

XD lol

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

I understand now that our creed does not command us to be free; it commands us to be wise.

Snakes... Why did it have to be Snakes?
Crusadergirl is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-01-2009, 08:02 AM   #64
winecork_1
Lurker

For me it has to be CMI for 3 simple reason

1- MURRAY!!!!
2- How the word orange can kill any sing-a-long
3- The look on the owners face when you show up in his restaurant made up as a giant demonic god chicken from mexico ^^
winecork_1 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-13-2009, 03:53 AM   #65
SeanBlader

By far my favorite Monkey Island game is the next one. Doesn't matter when that is, or which one it ends up being for that few months, it's always the anticipation and the participation in the next story that is the most fun. I can't place any of the existing ones as the best because it's not really about the gameplay for me, it's about participating as a pirate that I can totally relate to. He's perpetually the wannabe pirate who doesn't have the slightest idea what he's doing and somehow manages to get himself in and out of trouble time and time again. The twists are always amazing, the stories are fun, and the endings are, invariably so much fun that when I get to it, all of a sudden I'm filled with anticipation for the next one. Years go by and nothing happens until there's a rebirth in someone wanting to tell the story, and viola the anticipation is renewed and again, I get to look forward to a new adventure as Guybrush Threepwood, Mighty Pirate.
SeanBlader is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-08-2010, 01:34 AM   #66
gos
Rookie

The answer is easy. "Curse of monkey island" it had amazing graphics, it has speech, amazing music, new look of guybrush, comic cartoon graphics which is amazing. the animation is very good, amazing backgrounds that was drawn by bill tiller.

i hoped if grm fandango were cartoon 2d. like in CMI

then MI 2 comes
then MI 1
MI 4 was kind of rubbish

Last edited by gos; 02-08-2010 at 01:40 AM.
gos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Monkey Island Discussion > MI Chat > General MI Discussion > What's your favourite MI game, and why.