lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Obsidian CEO still wants to make KotOR 3
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 02-06-2010, 12:33 AM   #121
Ghost
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in your head
Posts: 478
Current Game: NBA 2k11
We all know they won't listen. They believe us "common folk" are nothing but ranters, and that is partially true, since we are ranting and raving about the MMO. While I agree SW Galaxies is a fine enough MMO, the graphics and newer gameplay on TOR will attract more players, and thus more money for them.
Ghost is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-06-2010, 12:56 PM   #122
Astor
It's Thornhill!
 
Astor's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Warwickshire, UK
Posts: 3,632
Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebornWookiee View Post
More people want K3 and they already have star wars galaxies we dont need another mmo and they are already making profit on galaxies so it wouldnt even matter about the money side. K3 lucasarts! Thats what we want!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon-Mk II
We all know they won't listen. They believe us "common folk" are nothing but ranters, and that is partially true, since we are ranting and raving about the MMO. While I agree SW Galaxies is a fine enough MMO, the graphics and newer gameplay on TOR will attract more players, and thus more money for them.
I didn't know that they shouldn't be allowed to have another MMO because there is one already. Galaxies was, and is, awful. They've been hemorrhaging players for years now, ever since introducing 'improvements' that, according to general consensus, made the game worse.

There was never a clear promise of a third game, and I'd love to see the evidence that more people want a KOTOR3, as i'm pretty sure that the average gamer who played K1 and 2 wouldn't care if there was a third one or not.






Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-06-2010, 01:28 PM   #123
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?
 
Prime's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Cybertron
Posts: 12,355
Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon-Mk II View Post
We all know they won't listen. They believe us "common folk" are nothing but ranters, and that is partially true, since we are ranting and raving about the MMO.
You guys are out to lunch. LA/Bioware are making TOR because there is a huge demand for it and such games. Yes they are in it to make money because they are a company. That is what a company does. They aren't a charity. Everything is a cost/benefit analysis.

If you guys like what they make or how they do business, don't buy their products. That is how you really make a company sit up and take notice. If enough other people have the same view as yours, they will adjust their products accordingly. But you are kidding yourselves if you think TOR isn't going to have huge sales numbers. Why? Because a ton of people want to play it. So you can't say they are making something that no one wants. Like it or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebornWookiee
Yeah i agree man! I hate it when they keep saying " The old republic is knights of the old republic 4 5 6 7 and more." Thats great lucasarts but um........WHAT HAPPEND TO REVAN AND THE EXILE??
They have explained that already, haven't they?

And if anyone wants to contact them and explain that the masses want K3, google is a great tool for finding out how to contact them...

http://www.lucasarts.com/company/contact/
http://www.mobygames.com/company/lucasarts
http://www.computerhope.com/comp/lucas.htm

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-06-2010, 04:10 PM   #124
Ghost
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in your head
Posts: 478
Current Game: NBA 2k11
That's what I'm saying Prime, LA is all about profit, benefit, etc. I know they are not charity, but they should listen to the fans for once.
Ghost is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-06-2010, 04:30 PM   #125
RebornWookiee
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
You guys are out to lunch. LA/Bioware are making TOR because there is a huge demand for it and such games. Yes they are in it to make money because they are a company. That is what a company does. They aren't a charity. Everything is a cost/benefit analysis.

If you guys like what they make or how they do business, don't buy their products. That is how you really make a company sit up and take notice. If enough other people have the same view as yours, they will adjust their products accordingly. But you are kidding yourselves if you think TOR isn't going to have huge sales numbers. Why? Because a ton of people want to play it. So you can't say they are making something that no one wants. Like it or not.

They have explained that already, haven't they?

And if anyone wants to contact them and explain that the masses want K3, google is a great tool for finding out how to contact them...

http://www.lucasarts.com/company/contact/
http://www.mobygames.com/company/lucasarts
http://www.computerhope.com/comp/lucas.htm
Hey astor more people want a single player k3 than TOR sooooooooooooo many more fans. And prime as for our conversation i think they will make profit on TOR but its true that waaaaaaaaaay more fans want a single player k3. And im not saying they are making something that no one wants im saying there making something that not as many people want, more people want a single player k3. Also no they havent explained revan and the exile already. Revan went into the unknown regions to search for the true sith while the exile went to follow him. They kind of discontinued it. They could do so much mor. And by the way they were well into development on k3 b4 TOR and they had a complete storyline but the project got cancelled. They don't listen to the fans is what me and jonathon mkII are saying. But whatever. A company needs to make money i guess but it sucks.
RebornWookiee is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-06-2010, 04:55 PM   #126
Giant Graffiti
Custom User Title
 
Giant Graffiti's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebornWookiee View Post
They don't listen to the fans
Yes they do.
Giant Graffiti is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-07-2010, 12:06 AM   #127
Gurges-Ahter
Tyler Durden
 
Gurges-Ahter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Parker, TX
Posts: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebornWookiee View Post
Hey astor more people want a single player k3 than TOR sooooooooooooo many more fans. And prime as for our conversation i think they will make profit on TOR but its true that waaaaaaaaaay more fans want a single player k3.
Hey - I'm like everyone else here - I want single player K3 also - but what makes you think "soooooooooooooo many more fans" want single player K3? Of course they do here - we're on a forum that's centered around K1 and K2, so it's only natural all of us would want K3. However, I think it's probable that, on the whole, more people would be interested in the MMORPG, and I believe LucasArts came to the same conclusion and greenlighted the project.

If you want to make the argument that LucasArts should forget about the opportunity cost (lost profits) from making K3 for the sake of the fan-following, I'd believe you had firm ground to stand on (albeit naive), but to assume that you know the business model/forecast better than LucasArts is probably a bad basis for your argument.



Last edited by Gurges-Ahter; 02-09-2010 at 05:20 PM.
Gurges-Ahter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-07-2010, 12:12 PM   #128
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User
 
Ctrl Alt Del's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Posts: 3,814
Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon-Mk II View Post
That's what I'm saying Prime, LA is all about profit, benefit, etc. I know they are not charity, but they should listen to the fans for once.
They can heed their fanbase and still be 'all about profit'. Blizzard modus operandi is a historical instance.

I do agree all of the half-a-decade requests for a new KotOR have been all but ignored, but I'll refute vehemently that it's their fault for needing money for their games.


Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-09-2010, 04:45 PM   #129
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?
 
Prime's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Cybertron
Posts: 12,355
Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebornWookiee View Post
Hey astor more people want a single player k3 than TOR sooooooooooooo many more fans.
And you are basing this statement on... ?

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-09-2010, 07:37 PM   #130
RebornWookiee
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
And you are basing this statement on... ?
A poll that i read somewhere on the forums. Ask around i guarantee u more people want a single player k3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurges-Ahter View Post
Hey - I'm like everyone else here - I want single player K3 also - but what makes you think "soooooooooooooo many more fans" want single player K3? Of course they do here - we're on a forum that's centered around K1 and K2, so it's only natural all of us would want K3. However, I think it's probable that, on the whole, more people would be interested in the MMORPG, and I believe LucasArts came to the same conclusion and greenlighted the project.

If you want to make the argument that LucasArts should forget about the opportunity cost (lost profits) from making K3 for the sake of the fan-following, I'd believe you had firm ground to stand on (albeit naive), but to assume that you know the business model/forecast better than LucasArts is probably a bad basis for your argument.
They were actually well into production on k3 and had a complete storyline but the only reason they did not finish it was because a lot of LA employess were laid off that were working on k3 and they just decided to cancel it because they figured an MMO would be more profitable. Thats the only reason more profit more money. Im upset but in this struggling economy i know a company needs money and i do respect that. But i like to whine and moan about it cuz it makes me feel better.

Last edited by jonathan7; 02-09-2010 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Combining Double Post -- j7
RebornWookiee is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-09-2010, 10:44 PM   #131
Gurges-Ahter
Tyler Durden
 
Gurges-Ahter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Parker, TX
Posts: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebornWookiee View Post
A poll that i read somewhere on the forums. Ask around i guarantee u more people want a single player k3.
Somewhere on these forums? These are KotOR forums, so I think the audience might be a bit skewed. Words like "guarantee" are too strong for something that cannot be proven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebornWookiee
They were actually well into production on k3 and had a complete storyline but the only reason they did not finish it was because a lot of LA employess were laid off that were working on k3 and they just decided to cancel it because they figured an MMO would be more profitable.
I agree they found it more profitable. Profits are driven by sales, which are driven by demand. The demand for an MMO must be big enough for LA to determine it's more profitable than a single player K3. Granted, the margins are probably higher on an MMO, but so are the costs for server maintenance, software updates, and labor costs associated with the development of such a massive story. So your point that they found it more profitable inherently implies that they also determined the demand would be more (or at least sufficient enough) to supplant the single player K3 project. In other (more simpler) words, more people want the MMO.

I'd like to point out that I would definitely prefer the single player K3, as would most on these forums, but we are not in the majority.


Gurges-Ahter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-09-2010, 10:45 PM   #132
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.
 
TKA-001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,535
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebornWookiee View Post
They were actually well into production on k3
Pre-production.


"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-10-2010, 08:45 PM   #133
RebornWookiee
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurges-Ahter View Post
Somewhere on these forums? These are KotOR forums, so I think the audience might be a bit skewed. Words like "guarantee" are too strong for something that cannot be proven.


I agree they found it more profitable. Profits are driven by sales, which are driven by demand. The demand for an MMO must be big enough for LA to determine it's more profitable than a single player K3. Granted, the margins are probably higher on an MMO, but so are the costs for server maintenance, software updates, and labor costs associated with the development of such a massive story. So your point that they found it more profitable inherently implies that they also determined the demand would be more (or at least sufficient enough) to supplant the single player K3 project. In other (more simpler) words, more people want the MMO.

I'd like to point out that I would definitely prefer the single player K3, as would most on these forums, but we are not in the majority.
Yeah i know it just sucks. Hopefully someday after the mmo is released and fans get tired of it LA will make the single player version they were set out to do. But until then ill set my eyes on TFU2 and hope and pray that one day the single player K3 will arise out of the darkness and emerge into the daylight of the star wars fans and finish the story of revan and the exile.
RebornWookiee is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-11-2010, 12:18 PM   #134
Gurges-Ahter
Tyler Durden
 
Gurges-Ahter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Parker, TX
Posts: 957
I'd also like to point out that I disagree with most people on here who assume that Lucas and LA are only about making money. We know that GL is a bazillionnaire, but I disagree that it's all he cares about. If that were true we'd be buying the 2nd release of Star Wars on Blu-Ray right now. He cares more about contributing back to the industry and attempting to revolutionize/improve it than he does about using it as a cash cow.


Gurges-Ahter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-11-2010, 08:37 PM   #135
RebornWookiee
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurges-Ahter View Post
I'd also like to point out that I disagree with most people on here who assume that Lucas and LA are only about making money. We know that GL is a bazillionnaire, but I disagree that it's all he cares about. If that were true we'd be buying the 2nd release of Star Wars on Blu-Ray right now. He cares more about contributing back to the industry and attempting to revolutionize/improve it than he does about using it as a cash cow.
Yeah ur absolutely right. Im just frustrated that they're making the mmo instead of k3. I know they are not about profit and george lucas is improving and revolutionizing everything. Your right. He has a given us alot and we should be greatful. Its one game and were getting so much more. Its not a big deal ur absolutely right man.
RebornWookiee is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-12-2010, 07:57 PM   #136
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude
 
Taak Farst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: England
Posts: 1,562
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurges-Ahter View Post
I'd also like to point out that I disagree with most people on here who assume that Lucas and LA are only about making money. We know that GL is a bazillionnaire, but I disagree that it's all he cares about. If that were true we'd be buying the 2nd release of Star Wars on Blu-Ray right now. He cares more about contributing back to the industry and attempting to revolutionize/improve it than he does about using it as a cash cow.
Or he will simply sell more and more of the newer dvd's of the saga and then release blu-ray when the dvds have died down..and then the blu-ray will last for ages so if he makes the dvds last too - $$$


Taak Farst is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-12-2010, 11:28 PM   #137
Gurges-Ahter
Tyler Durden
 
Gurges-Ahter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Parker, TX
Posts: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taak Farst View Post
Or he will simply sell more and more of the newer dvd's of the saga and then release blu-ray when the dvds have died down..and then the blu-ray will last for ages so if he makes the dvds last too - $$$
Your point doesn't make much sense. He could still do that while selling Blu-Rays now... getting cash now is much more valuable than getting it later (time value of money?)


Gurges-Ahter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-13-2010, 08:38 PM   #138
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude
 
Taak Farst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: England
Posts: 1,562
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurges-Ahter View Post
Your point doesn't make much sense. He could still do that while selling Blu-Rays now... getting cash now is much more valuable than getting it later (time value of money?)
if he released blu-ray NOW, then the original dvds will die down quite a bit - and if he waits a while and let the dvds sell to its maximum capacity THEN he will release blu-ray - This way, he gets xtra cash


Taak Farst is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-13-2010, 11:41 PM   #139
Gurges-Ahter
Tyler Durden
 
Gurges-Ahter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Parker, TX
Posts: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taak Farst View Post
if he released blu-ray NOW, then the original dvds will die down quite a bit - and if he waits a while and let the dvds sell to its maximum capacity THEN he will release blu-ray - This way, he gets xtra cash
What? Blu-Ray owners that are going to buy Star Wars most likely already own them on DVD. DVD sales to non-Blu-Ray owners are unaffected.


Gurges-Ahter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-14-2010, 02:12 AM   #140
Ghost
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in your head
Posts: 478
Current Game: NBA 2k11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taak Farst
if he released blu-ray NOW, then the original dvds will die down quite a bit - and if he waits a while and let the dvds sell to its maximum capacity THEN he will release blu-ray - This way, he gets xtra cash
Meh, doesn't really matter to me if the Trilogies are released on blu-ray, but then again the space battles would look better.
Ghost is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-18-2010, 11:42 AM   #141
kothandki
Rookie
 
kothandki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Somewhere awesome
Posts: 11
Current Game: KOTOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Ken0bi View Post
I think a KOTOR 3 made by Obsidian would be sweet....if they make it with patience.

Because TOR is 300 years after KOTOR, and that is a big gap where lots of things can happen.

Personally I would love K3 to be about Revan and the Jedi exile, and their fights against the True Sith Empire in the Unknown Regions.
Agreed big time!!!


"Sir, sir, we are surrounded!"
"Excellent, we can attack in any direction now!"
kothandki is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > The Unknown Regions > Obsidian CEO still wants to make KotOR 3

Tags
kotor 3, obsidian

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:55 AM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.